We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 124 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

I figured i'll do it and worst case scenario i can't get restricted ones for now.

Similarly to when i got my motorcycle license, i did the m1 then the m2 course and i didnt get my motorcycle for another 2 years or so

But at least it's done and in the meantime i can take in all the information i can about it. Eventually i'd like to be able to hunt but we'll see how that goes. Funny enough i'm also taking up some intro to archery the same week so I'll get some other type of marksmanship as well. And that one is a lot more accessible
You can get them in Ontario (it’s different in other provinces) but the thing is being able to shoot them. The membership problem is some clubs are stuffed to the gills with fogeys who come out once a year to sight in their blunderpuss for hunting and the club counts that membership as an active membership counting towards the total the same as a member that goes every day every week. The range near me with the 2y waiting list is dead most times I go. (as a guest). Frustrating but there’s not a lot you can do about it.

You can get them in Ontario (it’s different in other provinces) but the thing is being able to shoot them. The membership problem is some clubs are stuffed to the gills with fogeys who come out once a year to sight in their blunderpuss for hunting and the club counts that membership as an active membership counting towards the total the same as a member that goes every day every week. The range near me with the 2y waiting list is dead most times I go. (as a guest). Frustrating but there’s not a lot you can do about it.

There is nothing in the FA that says you must belong to a club in order to own a restricted firearm...
The fogeys built and paid for most of the clubs so...

There is nothing in the FA that says you must belong to a club in order to own a restricted firearm...
The fogeys built and paid for most of the clubs so...
Not arguing with that…but most clubs don’t seem to look at use, just numbers.

Correct but you can’t use it anywhere other than a predetermined club.

Not true...

"Any approved range" in the province of Ontario...

If you want to travel out of Ontario all you need to do is ask the CPFO to send you a separate Auth. to transport. 'Same if you're heading out of the country...
'No big deal... They'll email them to you these days.

*for a few years they just made the Auth. to transport a standard condition of your RPAL. There were six standard allowances... Justin, in his wisdom decided to cut a few down, but the Auth. to transport to any approved range still stands.

Not true...

"Any approved range" in the province of Ontario...

If you want to travel out of Ontario all you need to do is ask the CPFO to send you a separate Auth. to transport. 'Same if you're heading out of the country...
'No big deal... They'll email them to you these days.

*for a few years they just made the Auth. to transport a standard condition of your RPAL. There were six standard allowances... Justin, in his wisdom decided to cut a few down, but the Auth. to transport to any approved range still stands.

And this is why I like constructive/informative banter. Consider me schooled (I’ll look into it further because I don’t believe everything I’m told but at this point I have no reason to disbelieve)

My understanding was you have to submit for an approved destination and only transport directly to and from said location.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

And this is why I like constructive/informative banter. Consider me schooled (I’ll look into it further because I don’t believe everything I’m told but at this point I have no reason to disbelieve)

My understanding was you have to submit for an approved destination and only transport directly to and from said

You'll get all the details you'll need when you take your PAL/RPAL course...

There is a lot of misinformation floating around out there, but... once you get into it and get a grasp of the law... it's pretty easy to stay within it.

Good luck and start looking for a second job to finance your new sport..!

My understanding was you have to submit for an approved destination and only transport directly to and from said location.

Some provinces ask you for your club when you purchase a restricted. Ontario doesn’t require one for purchase.

For the record I’ve had my PAL for several years and yes Hack, it’s definitely a hobby that can get expensive.

I’m aware you can buy restricted without having a range to use them and they essentially become decorations.

When I last looked through the rules (going from memory) I thought it was required to submit a specific location you intend to use your restricted firearm IF you intend to use it, and you could only travel directly to and from said location when possessing that firearm.

Has that changed?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

For the record I’ve had my PAL for several years and yes Hack, it’s definitely a hobby that can get expensive.

I’m aware you can buy restricted without having a range to use them and they essentially become decorations.

When I last looked through the rules (going from memory) I thought it was required to submit a specific location you intend to use your restricted firearm IF you intend to use it, and you could only travel directly to and from said location when possessing that firearm.

Has that changed?

Yes on the first point.

Restricted point not in Ontario. You can own restricted without being a member to a range. Many ranges allow guests to shoot and competitions.

Hack has already answered you on this but The ATT (authorization to transport) built into every RPAL license allows for transport to and from any approved range from your home. You do not need to notify anyone.

There's a few other ATTs built in, place of purchase to home. i believe they removed the gunsmith ATT recently.

ATT is required for other situations such as: moving to a new home, etc.

Yes on the first point.

Restricted point not in Ontario. You can own restricted without being a member to a range. Many ranges allow guests to shoot and competitions.

Hack has already answered you on this but The ATT (authorization to transport) built into every RPAL license allows for transport to and from any approved range from your home. You do not need to notify anyone.

There's a few other ATTs built in, place of purchase to home. i believe they removed the gunsmith ATT recently.

ATT is required for other situations such as: moving to a new home, etc.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification

Sounds like a shitshow. Sad.
Now Baldwin is saying he didnt pull the trigger. So if he is telling the truth, we now have a gun loaded with a live round that fires without touching the trigger. It's hard to imagine that things could go that far without intentional sabotage.

Now Baldwin is saying he didnt pull the trigger. So if he is telling the truth, we now have a gun loaded with a live round that fires without touching the trigger. It's hard to imagine that things could go that far without intentional sabotage.
Heard a snip of the interview where he stated multiple times that 'it's not my responsibility to ensure the gun isn't loaded' which doesn't really say much in my opinion.

Maybe I'm wrong, or don't understand, but if you're ever given a gun...it's on you to make sure it's empty.

As the old saying goes 'don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill'.

Regardless...horrible situation all around, and hopefully this brings up the safety around film sites. Apparently the union crew was sent home, and some non-union folks were brought on in order to complete due to funding issues. I look forward to the final results of the investigation.

There is an armourer that handles that preps and manages the firearms. Technically it is their responsibility to make sure it is not loaded. The one on this set was fairly new to the role. Many actors may not even know how to check a gun or at least may not know for all the different firearms they use over their career. Personally, and I am sure for most actors now, the gun would be checked as it was handed over, don't know how, learn. BUT it is still the armourer's responsibility. Given it was likely a revolver (western) I don't see how it could of fired unless the gun was handed to him cocked or the scene had him cocking the gun??? "Hollywood" has likely fired millions of guns over the decades and the number of like incidences is very low given the volume IMO, not to demean the tragedy here.

There was a lot of union problems on this set and apparently other shenanigans it is entirely possible to have been related to all that, not with the intention to kill but to get the set shutdown...

I think now the idea is to create doubt and inconclusive ideas about what did happen/ could have happened to limit exposure and liability. I didn’t pull the trigger , we never had live ammo on set .

Well the dead gal with a real bullet may disagree , but it will be a hearing and thousands of dollars worth of lawyers that you need to buffalo

There is an armourer that handles that preps and manages the firearms. Technically it is their responsibility to make sure it is not loaded. The one on this set was fairly new to the role. Many actors may not even know how to check a gun or at least may not know for all the different firearms they use over their career. Personally, and I am sure for most actors now, the gun would be checked as it was handed over, don't know how, learn. BUT it is still the armourer's responsibility. Given it was likely a revolver (western) I don't see how it could of fired unless the gun was handed to him cocked or the scene had him cocking the gun??? "Hollywood" has likely fired millions of guns over the decades and the number of like incidences is very low given the volume IMO, not to demean the tragedy here.

There was a lot of union problems on this set and apparently other shenanigans it is entirely possible to have been related to all that, not with the intention to kill but to get the set shutdown...

Safety is everyone's responsibility. watch the infamous clip about Will Smith's "gun safety". He's not perfect but way ahead of that recent-accident-guy... and yeah, they had revolvers - clear it all the same yourself and never point at anyone...

In the interview he says he was cocking the trigger back and when he let it go the gun fired.... he didn't "pull the trigger" but has zero understanding how a firearm works and his ignorance got someone killed.

Back
Top Bottom