We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 125 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

I need to buy a 10 gun safe as a Christmas gift for a new shooter. Looking for suggestions on units and mandatory features.

Want to meet legal requirements for safe storage. Fort Knox protection from theft is not required.

He has 4 long and a couple of hand guns.

I need to buy a 10 gun safe as a Christmas gift for a new shooter. Looking for suggestions on units and mandatory features.

Want to meet legal requirements for safe storage. Fort Knox protection from theft is not required.

I like to touch them before buying. Some of them are essentially filing cabinets with pin striping. My dad has a display case so all guns must be individually secured (trigger lock, removed bolt stored elsewhere etc). Ammo is in a separate locked compartment. While things are legally locked up, entry could be achieved in seconds.

For the most part, I would look less at the legal bar and more at the comfort level of the person involved. If it was me I would want a solid box so nobody could see inside and it would take some effort to enter. If they want them available for self-defense (not going to debate the ethics/legality of this just putting it out there), a dial is useless and they need a keypad (preferably one that doesnt beep). I have no handgun storage experience, not sure if storage requirements are higher for them.

He doesn’t need to know how a gun works anymore than Tom Cruise needs to know how to fly a helicopter. They are actors , portraying someone that knows how a gun works . The armourer should go to jail. However let the real ammo on set should be sued into bankruptcy. They pay people so **** like this does nog happen . I don’t see this on Baldwin as an actor, but as owner of the production company, he’s cooked

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

If you bolt it to a wall the Crappy Tire locker style are ok. Definitely not Fort Knox but then again it will deter a casual thief but not a determined one and it depends on what general home security is like. You can get a fair amount in there. Get shelf hangers for handguns (Amazon). Poly covered rods go into the barrels and they hang from there. Trigger locked and inside the cabinet will satisfy regs. Good news with these is they are light enough to put in upper floors and in closets as opposed to some of the gargantuan safes that weigh literally tons that are going to perhaps limit you to downstairs rooms, or even worse, a garage.

In the interview he says he was cocking the trigger back and when he let it go the gun fired.... he didn't "pull the trigger" but has zero understanding how a firearm works and his ignorance got someone killed.
Most modern revolvers (and modern replicas) have a transfer bar that requires the trigger to be pulled in order to reveal the end of the firing pin for the hammer to strike so you can’t just let the hammer down (finger off the trigger) or drop it to get it to fire. However, if it’s an antique or an authentic replica of an old Wild West gun then all bets are off. My Ruger Blackhawk is one of the simplest but also the safest handguns I own, it’s a single action revolver, you need to cock the hammer AND pull the trigger for it to fire. The only iffy procedure would be decocking the hammer on a loaded cylinder but you’d have to be a bit of a knob to do that unsafely and you wouldn’t point it at anyone while you do it.

I got this one a couple of years ago. Looks like its gone up about 400 bucks since then. Pretty happy with it though I wish it had a keyed portion incase the electronic lock ever fails. Just signed up for restricted license course, (got non restricted maybe 10 years ago) earliest date I could find was Feb 27.

a little off topic but back in the summer I scored this old safe for free off of marketplace. Feels like it weighs twice as much as the gun safe. Would swear it was full of lead. Really underestimated it when I went to pick it up. 3 guys struggling to get it up ramps onto my hot tub trailer. Lucky the door was open on it and I was able to take the back of it off and work the combination backwards so now I have it fully functioning! So thankful I didn't mess around with it with the door closed as I would've lost my opportunity to figure out the combo. Toronto company from 1854-1919. Lady had 2 bigger ones as well (free) I couldn't imagine moving. would've needed a forklift. Haven't attempted to bring this one into the house yet. I think would need to lay sheets of plywood out to where it would be going to not damage the floors.

Last edited:
Can someone explain the process for getting a PAL these days? My FAC expired in the 80's, and I believe I'll be treated like any other noob, correct?

Any difference between course providers (price, online option, etc.)?
Is the student manual optional? It says to purchase and read BEFORE the course?
When I had my FAC, it was really tough to get the restricted permit - you needed to already be a member of a club and know a range marshal that would vouch for you. Is it now just a matter of passing the CFRSC?

Can someone explain the process for getting a PAL these days? My FAC expired in the 80's, and I believe I'll be treated like any other noob, correct?

Any difference between course providers (price, online option, etc.)?
Is the student manual optional? It says to purchase and read BEFORE the course?
When I had my FAC, it was really tough to get the restricted permit - you needed to already be a member of a club and know a range marshal that would vouch for you. Is it now just a matter of passing the CFRSC?

Yup... your previous FAC means nothing.

The second part of your post is odd.
There never was such a thing as a "permit" for a restricted firearm...
All you needed was the FAC. The only difference was that you had to register the restricted firearm.

The rest of your post... Seems like it all depended on where you lived.
Toronto had different requirements than say Peel region...
Living in Peel in the 80's... I'd just go buy a pistol, take it to the police stn., see the firearms officer and register it.
Hell... the police used to sell off their surplus revolvers... 'Bought one from them in '86
H

I just bought a gun safe , keypad lock from CTC , they are always going on sale. I bought the 10gun , fire insulated ( who cares) box that is about 75lbs. I think a 10 gun safe holds 5 guns comfortably. I'm only keeping the shotguns I'm currently using in the safe, the others come apart and are in the factory travel suitcases .
I really dont like bumping stocks and such trying to wiggle guns out of the safe, bigger is better. None of mine are field guns so looking pretty is important to me.

Living in Peel in the 80's... I'd just go buy a pistol, take it to the police stn., see the firearms officer and register it.
Hell... the police used to sell off their surplus revolvers... 'Bought one from them in '86
H

Back when us civilians were nearly equals with police, instead of subjects to be ruled...

The second part of your post is odd.
There never was such a thing as a "permit" for a restricted firearm...
All you needed was the FAC. The only difference was that you had to register the restricted firearm.

The rest of your post... Seems like it all depended on where you lived.
Toronto had different requirements than say Peel region...
H

Whatever it was called, all I remember was not being able to purchase anything with a barrel shorter than a certain length without it. All the gun stores told me that same story, such as Giovanni's and Ontario Sporting Supplies. I was ready to buy an HK94 carbine, but they said it was too short to sell to me, but they could weld a flash suppressor to the end of the barrel to make it long enough.

So this is no longer a thing? Just take both courses and I can buy whatever I want? Any other permits or anything needed to transport it from the store to home, or back and forth to a club?

Whatever it was called, all I remember was not being able to purchase anything with a barrel shorter than a certain length without it. All the gun stores told me that same story, such as Giovanni's and Ontario Sporting Supplies. I was ready to buy an HK94 carbine, but they said it was too short to sell to me, but they could weld a flash suppressor to the end of the barrel to make it long enough.

So this is no longer a thing? Just take both courses and I can buy whatever I want? Any other permits or anything needed to transport it from the store to home, or back and forth to a club?

It’s still a thing. This is restricted IWI Israel Semi-Auto Micro Tavor X95 MSW, 223 Rem, 13" Barrel but it has a big brother with a longer barrel that isn’t restricted. Your RPAL includes you being able to bring it home or to and from a club. Restrictions changed a bit recently but these are still included.

I got my FAC and guns a long time ago, never bothered with a PAL, suppose I should do that.

If you have a restricted permit, can you bring your handguns back and forth across the US border? Hypothecally, what if your guns are registered in the US, you gave them here but they ere never registered here?

Last edited:
I got my FAC and guns a long time ago, never bothered with a PAL, suppose I should do that.

If you have a restricted permit, can you bring your handguns back and forth across the US border? Hypothecally, what if your guns are registered in the US, you gave them here but they ere never registered here?

Gunnutz has posts on this. You probably need a PAL as a Canadian citizen to keep the guns in Canada (as long as they are not restricted or prohibited). Another source of information would be to call one of the border posts or the RCMP and ask what you need to do.

From what you're saying it sounds like right now you're in unauthorized possession...
There was a period where your old FAC could just be converted into a POL (possession only lic.), but I think that window has closed... 'Would need to confirm.

As far as guns being registered in the US... That's really only a thing is some jurisdiction so... Again, a bit confused as to what you're talking about Willis.

Cross border travel isn't a big deal... All you need to do is apply for what's known as an F6NIA from the BATFE.
It's basically a temporary import permit issued by the BATFE. 'Covers the guns and ammunition you will be travelling to the USA with.
There are a few prohibitions as to what types of firearms/ammo can be brought into the US such as anything of Chinese manufacture, former Lend-Lease weapons, short barreled shotguns as well as SBRs...
The F6NIA is free and can be applied for via email... I've had one every year since about 2008.
Before 9/11 the US didn't bother with enforcing the F6NIA requirement, but in the wake of "The War on Terror" I guess they started to think they better start clearing all the sports shooters and hunters coming into the country to sport shoot and hunt.

If you want a restricted firearm do you need to do JUST the restricted course. Or both courses together?

As I understand it the PAL is required...but can't really make out if a single course can get me both, or whether they're separate.

I've seen pricing for about $360 for the PAL on Kijiji. I was also under the impression I'll need a specific gun safe to keep firearms...but it looks like above that a normal safe will do?

If you want a restricted firearm do you need to do JUST the restricted course. Or both courses together?

As I understand it the PAL is required...but can't really make out if a single course can get me both, or whether they're separate.

I've seen pricing for about $360 for the PAL on Kijiji. I was also under the impression I'll need a specific gun safe to keep firearms...but it looks like above that a normal safe will do?
Starting from scratch it’s usually both. Round here PAL is a 1 day course, RPAL is 2 days. Dunno about the RPAL on its own but it might be possible.

Starting from scratch it’s usually both. Round here PAL is a 1 day course, RPAL is 2 days. Dunno about the RPAL on its own but it might be possible.

The licenses are reverse compatible...
The PAL is the PAL.'
The RPAL is the the RPAL with the PAL rolled in... The only difference between the CFSC courses for the two licenses is that in the RPAL course there's information covered regarding the law/rules/regulations specific to the use, transportation and storage of RESTRICTED firearms.

Last edited:
@madmike , your FAC expired and then there was POL or PAL , pol let you keep what you had , pal allowed you to acquire more guns. Now it is just pal , the pol is phased out .
PAL is required to get the RPAL , the R is just a few more hours of classroom and a second exam .
They recently changed the RPAL where you had to name the club at which you shoot and transport covered you there and home to just “club” since so many shooters visit other clubs .
It’s actually getting a bit easier , which is creating a boom again in shooting sports

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom