Want GTAM's opinion on this. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want GTAM's opinion on this.

"Some people don't need much of an excuse for a mental health day" Captain Obvious

No one should die on the way to work. That's an easy enough rule. The problem is many managers want thier "team" on the job, looks good on paper.
I feel for anybody that has to work for the "i'm the up and coming guy" , they usually dont progress past thier mid level spot and just make life miserable for the other rungs on the ladder.

Agreed ... However, there's also employees who are salivating at any opportunity to NOT come in. Usually the are the passengers, not the reliable troops of a department, so it's sort of expected.

I would say, on miserable day like Monday, I would not expect people come-in, but I would definitely appreciate the people who do make an effort to do so, because that's their nature. Easily reward-able by a couple of movie tickets or pizza lunch. Win-win team builder ...

Agreed ... However, there's also employees who are salivating at any opportunity to NOT come in. Usually the are the passengers, not the reliable troops of a department, so it's sort of expected.

I would say, on miserable day like Monday, I would not expect people come-in, but I would definitely appreciate the people who do make an effort to do so, because that's their nature. Easily reward-able by a couple of movie tickets or pizza lunch. Win-win team builder ...

Sadly you're one of few. This picture has been my experience at more than one place of employment. With sanctions taken against those that don't come in.

funny-snow-car-buried-boss-work.jpg

http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-snow-car-buried-boss-work.jpg

Last edited:
Meh, I have to take a (paid) sick day or (unpaid) emergency day if I can't make it into work for whatever reason.

My experience with this is on those bad days when everyone should have stayed home people who do show up and just ***** and moan about how bad the roads are, the idiots on bald allseason tires and the general stupidity of the situation. -> Generally Zero productivity. I have been the "hero" before coming from Barrie down to Vaughan spending 4 -5 hours in the car but now I work from home. Its safer, its more sane and thankfully I have an employer that understands this. I am not a heart surgeon, no one is going to die if I dont come in.

a thought,,, we live in Canada! Get use to the weather! Pissses me off to hear "we got 8 inches of snow and they closed the city" Up here that's just another day! Grow a pair or relocate somewhere more south!

Cheers 8)
Aminal

Interesting. Is being "use to the weather" going to make an impassable road passable or make the law of physics and available traction different than if I'm not used to winter?

Maybe that "use to the weather" mentality needs to be applied to employers and make them realize we do live in a country with inclement weather that may stop people from coming into work without risking injury.

Anywho, good discussion. I'm just gonna say that personally I love the risk and challenge of bad weather. My fiancée doesn't. If she's not willing to take the risk, it's her choice to make. If an employer decides to be punitive for it, so be it. In the end, we work to live, and both of us don't define our life's happiness on pleasing our employers nor get sad because we "disappointed them"

i came to the realization that I'm just as needed as an employee as I need to be employed by that company. If the scales get out of balance too much, I attempt to right, if I can't, I leave.

a thought,,, we live in Canada! Get use to the weather! Pissses me off to hear "we got 8 inches of snow and they closed the city" Up here that's just another day! Grow a pair or relocate somewhere more south!

Cheers 8)
Aminal

But what is next.

It's too cold, can't drive. It's freezing rain, can't drive. It's foggy and rainy.....etc etc.

People are treating the snow we got like it was the storm of the Century lol.

Take your Slippery Slope logical fallacy elsewhere. It makes your argument even more petty.

I'll take the government warning and the number of accidents as a clear indicator it wasnt another snowy day in Canada.

But what is next.

It's too cold, can't drive. It's freezing rain, can't drive. It's foggy and rainy.....etc etc.

People are treating the snow we got like it was the storm of the Century lol.

Easily deflated for someone who started start a thread asking about ppl's opinion on the matter lol.

Carry on, i won't reply as my argument might be to hurtful to someone who believes everything the government says....

My question is - did she put in an 8 hour day at home on Monday? Did I miss where you stated this? Sorry if I did, I reread the thread but can't see it

Interesting. Is being "use to the weather" going to make an impassable road passable or make the law of physics and available traction different than if I'm not used to winter?
Yes, it can. Look at the Southern states where they shut down roads for a dusting of snow. It's all relative. One time I helped a couple guys move a Mustang 'stuck' on a flat icy driveway, one pushing for all he was worth, the other revving like mad. I didn't touch the car, I just told him to straighten the wheel and he took off. I learned my winter driving in Quebec and this was downtown Toronto, so what is or isn't impassable can depend greatly on experience.

Having said that, there's not much we can do to become familiar with extreme weather driving if it doesn't happen regularly where we live. That's kind of why it's called extreme. SoI'm not saying you should have been able to drive through it, maybe it was impossible by any standard. Just making the point that what we are exposed to regularly makes a difference regarding what we're able to handle.

Everything else you said is spot-on IMO.
Maybe that "use to the weather" mentality needs to be applied to employers and make them realize we do live in a country with inclement weather that may stop people from coming into work without risking injury.

Anywho, good discussion. I'm just gonna say that personally I love the risk and challenge of bad weather. My fiancée doesn't. If she's not willing to take the risk, it's her choice to make. If an employer decides to be punitive for it, so be it. In the end, we work to live, and both of us don't define our life's happiness on pleasing our employers nor get sad because we "disappointed them"

i came to the realization that I'm just as needed as an employee as I need to be employed by that company. If the scales get out of balance too much, I attempt to right, if I can't, I leave.

Some bosses are stupid. Last year, working at the new Oakville hospital, one day it snowed all afternoon. Took 3 hrs to go home what was normally a 35 minute drive. Hiway 5 was a parking lot to hiway 6. It was much worse for the guys going to Niagara region. Weeks later it snowed hard again starting at noon. Our crew of 6 packed it in at 3pm, 1 1/2 hrs. early, to beat the rush. Next week we all got laid off. "Shortage of work".

Cheers 8)
Aminal

We are digressing from the OP's topic, however, the problem is really deeper and not so much related to weather. When you say Canada to me it means ocassionaly low temps and snow fall. It also means a lot of salt and not enough snow for kids to play throughout the most winter. This is what I consider Canadian winter living in GTA. So it greatly depends where you live in Canada.

It has a lot more to do with the fact that many people simply cannot drive with even very little snow on the ground .... Not surprisingly, because the province doesn't bother making people to pass tests in winter months. The same province which doesn't offer any good alternatives to driving from or to 905 areas. So, naturally, they issue warnings on days, when I barely notice .... Blame the province, more than their people for snow days quick trigger. I guess they realize it, and hence the light trigger .... I laugh what the weather channel warns people from these days.

Yes she did. She spent the day on the phone and laptop as far as i saw. I was outside fixing the jeep and wasnt supervising. LOL.

My question is - did she put in an 8 hour day at home on Monday? Did I miss where you stated this? Sorry if I did, I reread the thread but can't see it

Haven't read everything but I'd like to say one thing. Wherever you work, know where you stand. Can I be laid off tomorrow? Am I an asset to the company? Can I be easily replaced? These things allow you to know how much leverage you have.

My company is very stringent on coming to work on time. I've been late 4dys in a row, lol. Am I worried? Well just a little, but I'm betting 90% sure I won't be fired.

There is only 2 persons in the company that can run that 5-axis mill & I'm one of them. They know I'm a fast learner & good worker so they wouldn't lay me off that fast.

This is all a game, you gotta know what you're worth. If you're worth nothing & you're not doing anything about it, you're in crap

Bosses-be-like-you-still-coming-to-work-right.jpg

Haven't read everything but I'd like to say one thing. Wherever you work, know where you stand. Can I be laid off tomorrow? Am I an asset to the company? Can I be easily replaced? These things allow you to know how much leverage you have.

My company is very stringent on coming to work on time. I've been late 4dys in a row, lol. Am I worried? Well just a little, but I'm betting 90% sure I won't be fired.

There is only 2 persons in the company that can run that 5-axis mill & I'm one of them. They know I'm a fast learner & good worker so they wouldn't lay me off that fast.

This is all a game, you gotta know what you're worth. If you're worth nothing & you're not doing anything about it, you're in crap

Stop showing up late, slacker!

Back
Top Bottom