Votes: 11 7.9%
  • not booking it yet but I might get it eventually

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • not going to get vaccinated

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why anyone would let their kids take the vaccine . They are allowed only under emergency use . Their chances of getting seriously sick are alomst zero .

You keep saying that but you refuse to back your statement up.

"Children, including very young children, can develop COVID-19. Many of them have no symptoms. Those that do get sick tend to experience milder symptoms such as low-grade fever, fatigue, and cough. Some children have had severe complications, but this has been less common. Children with underlying health conditions may be at increased risk for severe illness."

When you can come up with something proving kids almost never get Covid that trumps Harvard Medical School, I'll be all ears. Until then..............

CasesHospitalized%Death%
<=19263,4541,2810.486%110.004%
20s264,3352,8211.07%600.023%
30s226,7464,7762.11%1250.011%
40s203,4756,4543.17%2930.143%
50s181,34910,4995.79%8910.491%
60s111,90312,74311.4%2,3172.07%
70s58,95314,13524.0%5,1388.72%
80+70,28819,45827.7%16,71923.8%

@FullMotoJacket

Right from...

Need to hit your 40s to statistically have a greater risk of dying from COVID then the common flu (0.1-02%).

1 in 23,950 kids 19 and under who got COVID died of COVID.

The source article from the MIT authors - the PDF file - is as credible as they get. Find a way to download it and read it.

I'm not going to dismiss MediaBiasFactCheck on the grounds of a wikipedia article that anyone can edit.
Really Brian so much misinformation coming from all sides. Who knows to believe these days.

I guess the only thing one can do is what they think is best for you or your family

CasesHospitalized%Death%
<=19263,4541,2810.486%110.004%
20s264,3352,8211.07%600.023%
30s226,7464,7762.11%1250.011%
40s203,4756,4543.17%2930.143%
50s181,34910,4995.79%8910.491%
60s111,90312,74311.4%2,3172.07%
70s58,95314,13524.0%5,1388.72%
80+70,28819,45827.7%16,71923.8%

@FullMotoJacket

Right from...

Need to hit your 40s to statistically have a greater risk of dying from COVID then the common flu (0.1-02%).

1 in 23,950 kids 19 and under who got COVID died of COVID.

You do know what apples and oranges refers to, no? Using mortality stats to match your narrative is disingenuous, at best. The contentious point was Their chances of getting seriously sick are alomst (sic) zero. I don't know what the hell they taught you in math class, but "next to zero" was always preceded by a decimal point (and usually a 0 after that) in any statistics class I took. 1.8% isn't almost zero. And if you think it is, try to convince the parents of the 1,281 kids that were hospitalized with Covid they shouldn't have needed to be admitted for something there was next to zero chance of occurring.

I don't know what the hell they taught you in math class, but "next to zero" was always preceded by a decimal point (and usually a 0 after that) in any statistics class I took. 1.8% isn't almost zero.

Perhaps it's you who needs to attend math class, or a class on statistical analysis? You just fell for the "apples to oranges" comparison that Public Health has been using to make COVID more "relevant" to younger people.

When comparing hospitalization and mortality rates, medicine has always compared them by age group as I have. Why? Because medicine tries to figure out risk of disease by age category, the same way car insurance does. But Public Health turned around and instead is displaying percentages based on the total number of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths. Why? Because it's more scary, but it's both medically and mathematically wrong to do that.

So they turned a group that makes up 19% of all COVID Cases, and nearly quadruple the displayed percentage from the medically relevant 0.486% to a useless 1.8%. By doing a poor "apple to orange" comparison.

But the 3 categories that make up 60+ of the population, had less cases at 17.5% of all cases, which is less then the 19 and under category. But made up 64.3% of hospitalizations, 60.3% percent of ICU admissions, a staggering 94.6% of deaths.

So yes, 0.486%, when properly comparing the singular age group, is close to 0%, even Google's calculator agrees.

1623372364467.png

There are 2,056,058 kids in school in Ontario. If they all got COVID, we'd have 9,997 who'd get hospitalized, 1,233 get admitted to ICU, and 86 kids who'd die from COVID based on Canada's current data.

Is that enough to keep my two kids away from school? No sorry.

I'm not going to dismiss MediaBiasFactCheck on the grounds of a wikipedia article that anyone can edit.

Exactly. I can literally sign in to Wikipedia and completely change the gist of that article inside 30 seconds. And then someone else can cjange it back 30 seconds after that.

It will remain mostly a disease of the unvaccinated. If you're part of the 70%-75% that (eventually) are fully vaccinated ... or 55% in the USA ... it's (almost) not your problem any more.

Hate to say it, but in another 6-12 months when there's simply no excuse anymore for NOT having got the shot, I will not feel a lot of pity for those who still get sick because they choose not to take it.

Why anyone would let their kids take the vaccine . They are allowed only under emergency use . Their chances of getting seriously sick are alomst zero

Do you understand the premise behind herd immunity?

Since it's abundantly clear that you are going to be one of those people who aren't going to get vaccinated you do realize that everyone else becomes a vector for dragging covid to you? Including kids? Kids are 2 legged germbag missiles. Like it or not, you'll have one within range of you one day. THEM getting sick isn't the issue. It's THEM bringing covid to OTHERS. Especially the ones like you who CHOOSE to not get vaccinated, but worse yet, the few percentage points of people who did do their part to get vaccinated but are in the small percentile who still get sick regardless.

If you're unaffected (IE, a positive asymptomatic), hey, great for you I guess. Maybe not so great for that other person who YOU perhaps unknowingly drag it to (maybe a family member, maybe a stranger) who gets sick and dies. Because you've chosen to be a weak link.

On the flipside, your family could find out the hard way that you're one of those people who end up on a ventilator face down in the hospital.

Do you understand?

Do you care?

On another note, got my second shot this evening.

In and out in just over 20 minutes.

Wife got her second shot a few days ago.

Looks like the wife and I will be booking that vacation somewhere in November after all.

On another note, got my second shot this evening.

In and out in just over 20 minutes.

Wife got her second shot a few days ago.

Looks like the wife and I will be booking that vacation somewhere in November after all.
How did you make the app? Was it at the hospital drugstore.

When comparing hospitalization and mortality rates, medicine has always compared them by age group as I have. Why? Because medicine tries to figure out risk of disease by age category, the same way car insurance does. But Public Health turned around and instead is displaying percentages based on the total number of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths. Why? Because it's more scary, but it's both medically and mathematically wrong to do that.

Keep lumping everything together. It still doesn't alter the fact that a significant number of kids did get very sick from Covid. Certainly more than "next to zero".

tenor.gif

Perhaps it's you who needs to attend math class, or a class on statistical analysis? You just fell for the "apples to oranges" comparison that Public Health has been using to make COVID more "relevant" to younger people.

So they turned a group that makes up 19% of all COVID Cases, and nearly quadruple the displayed percentage from the medically relevant 0.486% to a useless 1.8%. By doing a poor "apple to orange" comparison.

But the 3 categories that make up 60+ of the population, had less cases at 17.5% of all cases, which is less then the 19 and under category. But made up 64.3% of hospitalizations, 60.3% percent of ICU admissions, a staggering 94.6% of deaths.

So yes, 0.486%, when properly comparing the singular age group, is close to 0%, even Google's calculator agrees.

View attachment 49393

There are 2,056,058 kids in school in Ontario. If they all got COVID, we'd have 9,997 who'd get hospitalized, 1,233 get admitted to ICU, and 86 kids who'd die from COVID based on Canada's current data.

Is that enough to keep my two kids away from school? No sorry.
Numbers under 20 1505 active cases , 86018 recovered and 4 deaths . I bet many deaths had other core morbidities .

Leave them alone and let Darwin deal with them.

Eventually, after everyone has had the opportunity to get both shots, that is what it is going to come to.

We are not there yet ... but it is in the foreseeable future.

There is a fair argument that the USA is already there (although largely due to hesitancy/denial).

With the Delta (formerly B.1.617.2) variant being supposedly ~6% of cases in the USA (about 25% here, about 60% in UK) ... and with that being +/- 50% more infectious ... it is going to be interesting to see what happens.

US vaccination numbers are still creeping up ... painfully slowly, but every bit helps. Maybe they'll have enough coverage in a couple of months when this strain becomes dominant for it to not matter. Could happen.

It's still going to be a disease predominantly of the unvaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom