• not booking it yet but I might get it eventually

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • not going to get vaccinated

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread needs an enema.

Easy numbers to report when we are not even into flu season for this year. Lets look at the situation when flu season comes around in wks 41 to 51 of 2021

1623606984283.png

how about last year?
Don't know how much they was testing for flu last yr when everything was based around covid. Plus with the way the new variant is attacking other countries I'm curious if they will be testing for the flu this yr, Given the reports to how easy it is to pass the new strain on to others

Last edited:
I see larger max R numbers for COVID-19 than for seasonal influenza on the data you cite. Or am I wrong?

The first link was based initial estimates of COVID were based on assumed start of the Wuhan pandemic and were calculated out. Which is what that really early comparison was based on, and published in February 2020. But was convenient as it includes multiple illnesses in the same chart.

The second link (the one I am re-sharing below) shows initial and the R0 rate on October 2020.

You can download their spreadsheet which the initial R0 rates averaged to 1.5322 across all these cities, and by October the average R0 was 0.838 due to government measures.

Great…what about the R rate of 2.5-3 that was seen in Brazil in Amazonas state? October 2020 was still seeing mainly the initial strain of COVID-19 not the variants from the UK or Brazil and even then max R rates outstripped those of seasonal flu. It is an incontrovertible proof that the incidence of seasonal flu is practically non existent this year and last compared to incidences of COVID-19 infection. That alone tells you what you really need to know.

Don't know how much they was testing for flu last yr when everything was based around covid.

This is a typical pre Covid flu season. Every single graph shows the spike during winter. This year, next to nothing (while we were in lockdown for a Covid spike).

fig01-eng.jpg

It is an incontrovertible proof that the incidence of seasonal flu is practically non existent this year and last compared to incidences of COVID-19 infection. That alone tells you what you really need to know.

Not really. Not since the start of COVID any cold and flu symptoms get labelled COVID, you get tested. And a negative COVID result means you just have a cold according to doctors.

Our healthcare system has done a good job ignoring any conditions that are not COVID, and turning people away from needed treatments. Even beyond colds and flus.

The data that the flu has disappeared is faulty due to the methods it's collected.

Not really. Not since the start of COVID any cold and flu symptoms get labelled COVID, you get tested. And a negative COVID result means you just have a cold according to doctors.

Our healthcare system has done a good job ignoring any conditions that are not COVID, and turning people away from needed treatments. Even beyond colds and flus.

The data that the flu has disappeared is faulty due to the methods it's collected.

or conversely…more people are being tested and thus incidences of flu should be easier to note.

But they aren’t being registered….because they are down across the board.

or conversely…more people are being tested and thus incidences of flu should be easier to note.

When you get a COVID PCR test they are not running the FLUVID PCR test at the same time.

So, until I see our FLUVID test numbers for 2020, I won't hold my breath that people getting tested for COVID will know if they had another viral infection.

So many guys must see themselves as Emmet from the Lego Movie.

The rest of us are just going about our day singing the song

They are the only one that is the "extraordinary person"

Most seriously ill COVID patients are not dying from the virus but due to it. As they get sepsis (which causes both ARDS and "cytokine storms"), which is when the body has a dysregulated immune response to a virus, which causes life-threatening dysfunction and inflammation in organs. Which this kind of viral sepsis is normally caused by being introduced a virus that is new to your immune system.

These two immune responses of the body attacking itself, account for about 98% of fatal cases of the virus.

The pathophysiology of SARS-CoV-2 infection closely resembles that of SARS-CoV infection, with aggressive inflammatory responses strongly implicated in the resulting damage to the airways. Therefore, disease severity in patients is due to not only the viral infection but also the host response. The pattern of increasing severity with age is also broadly consistent with the epidemiology of SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV.
ARDS seen in severe COVID-19 is characterized by difficulty in breathing and low blood oxygen level. As a result, some patients may succumb to secondary bacterial and fungal infections. ARDS may lead directly to respiratory failure, which is the cause of death in 70% of fatal COVID-19 cases.
In addition, the vast release of cytokines by the immune system in response to the viral infection and/or secondary infections can result in a cytokine storm and symptoms of sepsis that are the cause of death in 28% of fatal COVID-19 cases.

Getting COVID, or being vaccinated would eliminate your body's overreaction, as your immune system has "prior history" of how to deal with a novel virus. So of course new, never infected or vaccinated patients, would make up most of the serious cases at this point. This is something we've known since last spring.

When you get a COVID PCR test they are not running the FLUVID PCR test at the same time.

So, until I see our FLUVID test numbers for 2020, I won't hold my breath that people getting tested for COVID will know if they had another viral infection.

oooh….I wonder what happens when you present with flulike symptoms and test negative for COVID-19?

oooh….I wonder what happens when you present with flulike symptoms and test negative for COVID-19?

Absolutely nothing in my experience. You have to understand Public Health never really tested everyone for influenza. Most data from Public Health Canada, the American CDC and other organizations all list "estimated" Influenza cases, because a small number of people are actually tested. The number that is derived at the end of flu season expects a significant number of people to go undetected through official testing.

You have to understand the scope difference between current testing and what we normal test for influenza.

On a single day, January 15th, 2021, Ontario completed 76,472 COVID PCR tests. Higher than all but the 2016-2017 flu season total tests for Influenza.

September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019 ( https://www.publichealthontario.ca/...rts/orpb/orpb-weeks-summary-2018-19.pdf?la=en )
  • A total of 13,165 laboratory-confirmed influenza cases were reported for the 2018–19 season.
  • Only 66,883 tests were performed
September 1, 2017 to August 31, 2018 ( https://www.publichealthontario.ca/...ts/orpb/orpb-season-summary-2017-18.pdf?la=en )
  • A total of 18,253 laboratory-confirmed influenza cases were reported for the 2017–18 season
  • Only 71,238 tests were performed
September 1, 2016 – August 31, 2017 ( https://www.publichealthontario.ca/...ts/orpb/orpb-season-summary-2016-17.pdf?la=en )
  • A total of 12,518 laboratory-confirmed influenza cases were reported for the 2016-2017 season.
  • Only 76,591 tests were performed
September 1, 2015 - August 31, 2016 ( https://www.publichealthontario.ca/...ts/orpb/orpb-season-summary-2015-16.pdf?la=en )
  • A total of 12,137 laboratory-confirmed influenza cases were reported for the 2015-16 season.
  • Only 71,128 tests were performed
As of the latest data from Ontario ( Status of COVID-19 cases in Ontario - Ontario Data Catalogue ) we have 15,447,010 total number of PCR tests for COVID.

Even if we assume 90% of the tests were just because of contact tracing. With only 539,153 confirmed positive COVID cases, that means about 1 million people had cold/flu symptoms and tested negative for COVID. So what did they have? Munchausen syndrome?

Last edited:
FWIW I got the first Pfizer jab in April and they auto booked the second for late July. Then we were both able to get a earlier date at a different location, June 23. I just got an email advising me I was booked for a second Pfizer on June 19. I'll take the earlier shot.

FWIW I got the first Pfizer jab in April and they auto booked the second for late July. Then we were both able to get a earlier date at a different location, June 23. I just got an email advising me I was booked for a second Pfizer on June 19. I'll take the earlier shot.
Similar here - first shot in april, had been booked for August but we rescheduled for June 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom