Used Small Truck Thread (Tacoma, Canyon, Colorado) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used Small Truck Thread (Tacoma, Canyon, Colorado)

The "front suspension frame" is ... the frame. The control arms and shocks and springs and antiroll bar attach to ... the frame. There is no separate "front suspension frame" i.e. what I would call a "subframe" on a unibody vehicle. Fixing the frame in the vicinity of the front suspension means replacing the whole thing.

mustie1 (youtube channel ... I like some of his videos, too) gets away with stuff because he lives someplace that either doesn't have inspections, or does, but they're a joke ...

if you need a 'real' mid-size truck, can't go wrong with the frontier. cheaper and better torque than Tacoma.
Just don't get the earlier 2005-2010 (i think), they had issues with coolant mixing with tranny fluid/oil. They called it the strawberry milkshake because thats what the concoction looks like. Otherwise they are pretty bulletproof.
All trucks hold great value. Sold my 2013 few years ago, looked on kijiji and they still go for the same price today.
Only con would be less aftermarket support and parts than the popular taco.
Ridgeline is a great alternative if you don't plan to tow often and heavy.

Iv'e got an 05 and asked the dealer if it was under the warranty program, it was but the frame has no issues on mine, after reading the ad, i think this truck has a front suspension frame issue

how did they check your frame has no issue? They drilled hole tosee the inside rot on mine. Then they sent the pictures to Toyota Canada. When I bought my truck first thing I check was the frame looks good from the outside but obviously couldn’t see the inside of the frame.

how did they check your frame has no issue? They drilled hole tosee the inside rot on mine. Then they sent the pictures to Toyota Canada. When I bought my truck first thing I check was the frame looks good from the outside but obviously couldn’t see the inside of the frame.

put it on the hoist and checked it i guess, i didn't see exactly what they did, i took there word on it.i do know the truck has been oiled since new.

i see a few frames setting out the shop so they must be changing a few of them still

Best of luck
what yr was your truck? when did they changed the frame. i just checked and it says 05 was not covered under the program. maybe thats why the dealer said mine was ok

just looked at another site and they said it was covered but not anymore,

Last edited:
Mine is 07 I got the frame done this year March just before the whole lock down fiasco. The truck had the thick oil and the previous owner took it off road to cover with dirt he knows what he’s doing. I scraped a little part to see the frame was good no visible rust. But it was rotting inside.

Mine is 07 I got the frame done this year March just before the whole lock down fiasco. The truck had the thick oil and the previous owner took it off road to cover with dirt he knows what he’s doing. I scraped a little part to see the frame was good no visible rust. But it was rotting inside.
maybe i'll go back and see if they are right, or it's something i'm going to have to escalate

Might be going for a 4 door crew cab with 5' bed. Preferably first gen gmc canyon. It will be pain to haul two bikes on the bed but I need a 4 door crew cab so I can haul friends/family around too.

Might be going for a 4 door crew cab with 5' bed. Preferably first gen gmc canyon. It will be pain to haul two bikes on the bed but I need a 4 door crew cab so I can haul friends/family around too.

if its got a hitch this will be less of an issue

bad turbo's, hard on gas when you put weight to it

He’s not wrong about Turbos. I’ve bought a lot of those trucks that also needed the timing chain replaced which is not a cheap job at all.

Your moving in the right direction on choice of truck. I’d try to stick with a 5.0 for the year/mileage/price your shopping at. And I really really like the 3.5 ford eco I just don’t see it being the right choice here.

Yes but getting pretty old I have a 11, 12 ,14 and a 19 no issue with any of them all bought brand new got rid of the 05 as it was getting rot in the cab corners.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

[/QUOTE]
Reddit folks are saying apparently 2000-2006 Sierra/Silverados are pretty solid too. Is that true?
My brother was hunting for a truck earlier this year. 15K budget. He had a trusted private dealer searching trade-ins and auctions. For something with less than 200K, that is apparently a unicorn. He ended up with an 06 ram. Some body dings, some rust, cant remember the mileage. I was surprised it was so much for so little.

Back
Top Bottom