Used Small Truck Thread (Tacoma, Canyon, Colorado) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used Small Truck Thread (Tacoma, Canyon, Colorado)

Are you a Honda salesman @SunnY S ? Cause you sure sound like one. Hell I want a Ridgeline now.
Don't even know how I didn't mention the Ridgeline.
I like it for what it is.
I have a 2005 Pilot with 280xxx kms on it and still going strong.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My 2013 Tacoma with 2.7l gets consistent 9l/100km.I have a couple of friends that have the v6 they get terrible gas milage.

My 2013 Tacoma with 2.7l gets consistent 9l/100km.I have a couple of friends that have the v6 they get terrible gas milage.

My van, with a 4.0L V6, loaded up with track gear and towing a trailer to Calabogie last year was averaging 10-10.5 L/100km.
You people with your small trucks, small engines and bad gas mileage make me laugh!

It's not that bad if you're not towing anything, or going up hill. Or driving into a stiff headwind...

I've got a 2019 V6 and on an 80L tank, I regularly get over 650 kms to a tank. A few times, under ideal driving conditions, I topped up at 700 kms. So it ranges between 8.1-8.75L/100kms.

But once I towed a fully-loaded 6x12 U-Haul enclosed trailer and a motorcycle in the bed up over the Rocky Mountains. Had to fill up at 350kms!

The engine struggles under load and the antiquated 6-speed automatic transmission means that you've got to be mindful with the accelerator to prevent it from kicking down a gear. They desperately need to update that transmission to an 8 or 10-speed. That's the weakest link of an otherwise awesome, super-reliable and cheap-to-maintain truck.

So after that expensive fill-up, the lesson learnt meant going up steep grades on the Trans-Canada Highway at 50-60 km/h.

Us and the fully-loaded 18-wheelers crawling uphill in the slow lane!

It's not that bad if you're not towing anything, or going up hill. Or driving into a stiff headwind...

I've got a 2019 V6 and on an 80L tank, I regularly get over 650 kms to a tank. A few times, under ideal driving conditions, I topped up at 700 kms. So it ranges between 8.1-8.75L/100kms.

But once I towed a fully-loaded 6x12 U-Haul enclosed trailer and a motorcycle in the bed up over the Rocky Mountains. Had to fill up at 350kms!

The engine struggles under load and the antiquated 6-speed automatic transmission means that you've got to be mindful with the accelerator to prevent it from kicking down a gear. They desperately need to update that transmission to an 8 or 10-speed. That's the weakest link of an otherwise awesome, super-reliable and cheap-to-maintain truck.

So after that expensive fill-up, the lesson learnt meant going up steep grades on the Trans-Canada Highway at 50-60 km/h.

Us and the fully-loaded 18-wheelers crawling uphill in the slow lane!
Plus, the 2.7l was about $3500 cheaper. That's a lot of gasoline.

I think Toyota makes you buy the V6 if you want the crew-cab. The crew-cab seems essential to the original poster's desires.

edit: I just checked Toyota's build-and-price. Seems that the 4 cylinder is gone and the V6 is a new direct-injection engine - hopefully less thirsty than the old one.

Last edited:

You're dividing upside down. 80 litres divided by 6.5 (hundred km) = 12.3 L/100 km. 80 litres divided by 7 (hundred km) = 11.4 L/100 km. That's more plausible for that engine, with that transmission, in that vehicle.

Re the enclosed trailer ...

My bike hauler vehicle is a Ram ProMaster full size van, Pentastar 3.6 V6 gas engine. On long trips in that vehicle I normally follow the commercial-vehicle speed limit, partly because a vehicle like that has no business going fast, partly because it quickly gets much thirstier as the speed goes up. At that, without anything in tow, it uses 11-ish L/100 km. It can be coaxed down to 10-ish with careful driving on secondary roads (e.g. to Grand Bend) - although I've averaged 10.2 on a long trip to Deals Gap and back. City driving, forget it. It's awful.

With a 5x10 enclosed trailer in tow, and 2 bikes in the van and 2 bikes in the trailer, plus 2 people plus tools etc to Deals Gap and back, it uses 14-ish L/100 km.

The hit from towing the trailer isn't so bad, because the trailer fits mostly within the aerodynamic wake of the van.

Same engine is the base engine in the Ram full-size trucks except they get the 8-speed transmission.

if hauling any weight or towing you're better off with a V8/full size
highway speed with engine putting along @ 2,000 RPM = good mileage

and contrary to what Ford tries to sell you
a turbo is no substitute for displacement

Have a 2014 F150 STX (3.7L v6, Naturally Aspirated, extended cab, 6.5' bed).
Gets about 11.3-11.5 L/100km on the highway if driven at around 105km/h.
GF has a 2017 Colorado (i4, 2.5L Naturally Aspirated, extended cab, 6.5' bed).
Gets 8.5-8.7 L/100 at 105km/h on the highway at 105 km/h

City, F150 gets 13 L/100 in the city if driven like a proper grandpa.
City, Colorado gets 10 L/100 if driven like a car, 9.5 L/100 if driven easily.

We have a RAM 1500 4.7, gets about 14l/100 if your drinking carefully. Also have a 2012 2.0l Transit Connect, I can get that little truck down to 7.5 on slab at 110kmh.

I've got a 05 single cab long box tundra, it has 320000 on and still runs mint. not the best on gas but only thing i need to do is reg maintenance

We have a RAM 1500 4.7, gets about 14l/100 if your drinking carefully.

The 4.7 is an old engine design, and it would be connected to either a 45RFE or 545RFE transmission depending on how old it is. The 4.7 + 545RFE was a big improvement over the old 318 + Torqueflite, but the Hemi + 8-speed is another big step beyond that.

And the 3.6 Pentastar V6 makes almost as much power as the 4.7 did ... although it needs to rev more to do it.

despite singing the praises of the Ridgeline...

If I were in the truck market, I'd have a hard time saying NO to an F150 right now. With the 2021 model due later this year, and with F150 sales down 33% in the quarter (Covid) and 24% year to date along with zero financing, Ford is ready to blow these things out to clear the backlog and make way for 2021 models.

You could probably get a 2020 F150 for the same price if not cheaper than the midsize trucks. Far better value.

I know a couple of people who have a Ford F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost and 10 speed automatic combination, and I hear mixed things about them. Some report 10-and-change litres per 100 km with no trailer in a F150, and yet, another friend of mine just lease-returned his Explorer with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost because it was brutally thirsty, never better than 14 L/100 km even when empty,

he has to pick his poison and pick his pleasure, I bet he didn't complain about the 365hp on tap with the 3.5

As for the 2.7L, that thing is a gem, It was co-developed by a german engineering company and shares no parts with the 3.5L eco

If I were in the truck market, I'd have a hard time saying NO to an F150 right now. With the 2021 model due later this year, and with F150 sales down 33% in the quarter (Covid) and 24% year to date along with zero financing, Ford is ready to blow these things out to clear the backlog and make way for 2021 models.

You could probably get a 2020 F150 for the same price if not cheaper than the midsize trucks. Far better value.

Totally agree. I've had a Frontier, 1st gen Raptor, Ridgeline and now an F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost.

My 2cts. Depending on how much you drive downtown or in the city, full size trucks really aren't much bigger to drive and park IMO. Costs are fairly similar. Mileage is also almost the same, the Frontier was actually worse than the 3.5 ecoboost F150, 14 vs 11 L/100km
Ridgeline was a tad better but the F150 has much more space and is a lot faster. I've tried all the V8s and the 3.5 V6 twin turbo destroys them.

That said, the Ridgeline is a great truck, rides much more comfortable than standard trucks, the trunk space is nice and interior is miles ahead of the other mid-size trucks. Only downside is the tow rating and the bed walls are not very high. Back doors also don't open very wide so putting items in the back is difficult.

Totally agree. I've had a Frontier, 1st gen Raptor, Ridgeline and now an F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost.

My 2cts. Depending on how much you drive downtown or in the city, full size trucks really aren't much bigger to drive and park IMO. Costs are fairly similar. Mileage is also almost the same, the Frontier was actually worse than the 3.5 ecoboost F150, 14 vs 11 L/100km
Ridgeline was a tad better but the F150 has much more space and is a lot faster. I've tried all the V8s and the 3.5 V6 twin turbo destroys them.

That said, the Ridgeline is a great truck, rides much more comfortable than standard trucks, the trunk space is nice and interior is miles ahead of the other mid-size trucks. Only downside is the tow rating and the bed walls are not very high. Back doors also don't open very wide so putting items in the back is difficult.

I'd spring for the 2.7 Eco on the F150. combined with the 10 speed auto, it should provide pretty decent fuel mileage will still putting out killer power.

I have the 3.5 Eco/ 6 speed in my 2015 Transit (its a detuned version of the 3.5 in the F150) and it returns 12L/100k. I dont think thats too bad for a brick shaped box on wheels and I'm pretty heavy with the throttle, the boost is incredible fun. I ordered a 2020 version with the same engine and it now comes with a 10 speed auto and auto stop/start, I'm expecting/hoping even better mileage

I could get a good deal but I probably don't want to get into financing. My business is still new. My clientele along with mortgage is slowly increasing but I am not there yet where I can go for a new truck haha.

My Matrix is tentatively sold pending pick up. So I am looking hardcore for a truck.

Some of my options:

327,000 km and 15 years old for a business vehicle you rely on? Are you mad son?

I get not wanted to take on a crushing debt, but a business vehicle needs to work every day without fail or you will quickly find out how expensive a cheap vehicle really is.

Back
Top Bottom