TV shows currently watching | Page 121 | GTAMotorcycle.com

TV shows currently watching

and-then-no.gif

We just finished Vigil on BBC, not sure if BritBox, Prime, etc is carrying it, but it's been a smash hit in the UK. It's a crime thriller set on a British submarine, and my first clue that it would be a bit dodgy was the premise that a regular homicide detective would be assigned to investigate a murder on a navy boat instead of MPs.

It only gets sillier from there, with plot holes big enough to float a submarine through and the usual routine of sequential prime suspects that get added and ticked off every episode as details are revealed. Even the most rudimentary understanding of how modern submarines function will reveal the lack of research, and my wife and I laughed out loud at a few ridiculous moments.

Still, it manages to be entertaining regardless. Suranne Jones and Rose Leslie manage to make some dodgy dialogue work, and we stuck it through until the end. Proceed with caution...

Last edited:
Vigil is on my list..

Watching the latest season of Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton. Excellent so far. Starts of as a slow burn but gets going. It helps if you’ve seen the previous series as there’s some flashbacks.

Didn't like it. Believe it's a 3rd to the other two "The Haunting" series which were both really good. Stuck this one out to the end but was rather lame throughout imo.

I’m on the 2nd-to-last episode and I really like it.
Hadn’t realized it was connected to The Haunting series.
It’s better than the first two imo.

To each their own!

Rob

We just finished Vigil on BBC, not sure if BritBox, Prime, etc is carrying it, but it's been a smash hit in the UK. It's a crime thriller set on a British submarine, and my first clue that it would be a bit dodgy was the premise that a regular homicide detective would be assigned to investigate a murder on a navy boat instead of MPs.

It only gets sillier from there, with plot holes big enough to float a submarine through and the usual routine of sequential prime suspects that get added and ticked off every episode as details are revealed. Even the most rudimentary understanding of how modern submarines function will reveal the lack of research, and my wife and I laughed out loud at a few ridiculous moments.

Still, it manages to be entertaining regardless. Suranne Jones and Rose Leslie manage to make some dodgy dialogue work, and we stuck it through until the end. Proceed with caution...

Just finished the first two episodes and I see what you mean. A $4billion state of the art submarine that doesn’t see a massive noisy tanker until the last minute? It’s odd, must have cost a lot to produce but seems a bit clunky in places.

Aside from that I admire the attempt at a different type of storyline, plus Suranne Jones is pretty amazing at anything she does. It’s still entertaining.

Squid Games on Netflix.

Sometimes I just want to think about nothing.

Squid Games on Netflix.

Sometimes I just want to think about nothing.
it was alright, but hardly worth the current hype. imo.

Just finished the first two episodes and I see what you mean. A $4billion state of the art submarine that doesn’t see a massive noisy tanker until the last minute? It’s odd, must have cost a lot to produce but seems a bit clunky in places.

Aside from that I admire the attempt at a different type of storyline, plus Suranne Jones is pretty amazing at anything she does. It’s still entertaining.
Yep, some moments are hilarious, and I've seen lots of current and ex-submariners quoted on how it's nothing like a real sub. As long as you don't treat the show as seriously as it tries to be, it's fine for some popcorn entertainment. Be warned, it gets more preposterous as the episodes go on...

All the actors work very hard to give it some gravitas, and they succeed far beyond what the raw material gives them. The guy who plays the captain in particular is able to manage some exposition and dialogue that would be eye-rollingly bad in the wrong hands.

It's such a big hit in the UK that they're already talking about a second series, but not sure how they'd pull that off. I'll watch, even if it's for the cheese...

Just finishing the first season of Suits - yes I'm late to the party. But now I know who meagan was before banging a royal.

It's ok but the constant outsmarting of others is quickly becoming cliched.

Yep, some moments are hilarious, and I've seen lots of current and ex-submariners quoted on how it's nothing like a real sub. As long as you don't treat the show as seriously as it tries to be, it's fine for some popcorn entertainment. Be warned, it gets more preposterous as the episodes go on...

All the actors work very hard to give it some gravitas, and they succeed far beyond what the raw material gives them. The guy who plays the captain in particular is able to manage some exposition and dialogue that would be eye-rollingly bad in the wrong hands.

It's such a big hit in the UK that they're already talking about a second series, but not sure how they'd pull that off. I'll watch, even if it's for the cheese...
Turns out I gave a bad example in my mini review…still bits of cheese everywhere like you say though. It is entertaining though I’ll give it that.

Turns out I gave a bad example in my mini review…still bits of cheese everywhere like you say though. It is entertaining though I’ll give it that
Well, not such a bad example, as a) there's a whole bunch of crew working on listening for contacts, and b) the consequences for such a colossal error would be a lot more severe than a gentle 'do better next time' speech...

Watched it with fiancee but didn't focus entirely on it. I've seen the same plot in Danganronpa...wonder if there were influences.

Baki would be great to focus on nothing: the plot is literally manly men beating the **** out of one another because they like to!

Hype? I saw a middle aged Asian fellow wearing a Squid player shirt (#500) at McDonalds this morning -- he was drawing a crowd.

I thought Squid Games was going to be like that reality Japanese show. NOPE!
Very good. And I'm only at #3.

Back
Top Bottom