Thoughts on this tire changing setup? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on this tire changing setup?

I wouldn't exactly call it portable, you have to bolt it to the floor.
How is this portable? I thought that maybe they would have said you can attach it to some lumber to make it more stable but nope, only mounting instructions are for bolting to a concrete floor at least 4" thick.

Portable as in ‘unbolt it, drill new holes, and bolt into new location’.

looks good but sure as hell not portable.

It's just a glorified bead breaker, isn't it?

Make sure it has the plastic covers where it holds the rim or you will scratch your rim. Had a friend here the other day with a no mar unit and it went into the trailer hitch on his truck. Pretty cool. Now that's portable.

Without even knowing how well this specific unit will grip, I can guarantee it will scratch the hell out of your rims, as I see no way to prevent that without sacrificing clamping ability to prevent the wheel from spinning. With other models like the ones they sell at Harbor Freight, you can get replacement clamps that hold the wheel better and prevent scratches (mojo blocks). Still, they're not perfect. I probably had over $200 invested to make an HF it into a budget version of the NoMar, and I still struggled with stiff sidewall tires like Dunlops. It absolutely has to be secured, which can be either by bolting it to the floor, or welding an attachment for your hitch, or a plate on the bottom that you can drive a car tire over to hold it in place.

The one from the original post has some kind of mounting/demounting arm in addition to the bead breaker, but it's hard to tell how effective it would be based solely on the instruction manual diagrams.

The one I posted is just a bead breaker, but it has the ability to secure the wheel down onto the stand so the wheel doesn't flop around when you crank on the tire irons. For a number of years I did basically the same thing with a length of threaded rod and an old steel automobile wheel. I guess the little rim hooks/clamps on the one in the original post would serve the same purpose as long as the pre-drilled holes for the clamps line up reasonably well with your rim size.

How is this portable? I thought that maybe they would have said you can attach it to some lumber to make it more stable but nope, only mounting instructions are for bolting to a concrete floor at least 4" thick.
I have similar attached to a skid. Your weight standing on the skid provides enough stability.

(Portable Tire) Changer​

It only changes portable tires, not fixed ones.

Unless you were racing or riding so much you did tire changes yearly or less, i'd see no benefits to owning a tire changer, let alone even thinking of doing it yourself...

It's not a cool tool where you can store it away easily.

I"ve seen setups that lock into your truck's tow 2" hitch that could be worthwhile since they disappear when you're done, but otherwise, no point really...

Oh I wasn't even considering portability.
The provided manual does say to mount it.

Anyways, this is the link to the manual.

It looks similar to what I've seen in videos of other more well known tire changer setup. So it has bead breaker, mounting, and takeoff functions.

The diagrams use ATV or trailer tires if that means anything.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Unless you were racing or riding so much you did tire changes yearly or less, i'd see no benefits to owning a tire changer, let alone even thinking of doing it yourself...

It's not a cool tool where you can store it away easily.

I"ve seen setups that lock into your truck's tow 2" hitch that could be worthwhile since they disappear when you're done, but otherwise, no point really...

Or if you have multiple bikes. I find it super convenient to do my own tires. I have the below tire changer and it just hangs up on the wall until I need it. Before that I just worked on the floor with irons as well. This one still has you on the floor but it's super easy to get tires off and on.

Or you could only run Michelins, they pretty much mount themselves!

When we did the trans taiga we took spare tubes and irons (we needed them). I asked my buddy "how will we break the bead on the trail?"
His reply "the kickstand" - it works.

Came across this.

Any thoughts? I did it the manual way using tire irons and spoons 2 years ago for the first time. Not gonna lie, it was a struggle.

If this works, for 139.99, I'd want to get it vs my manual struggle 2 yrs ago.

Then again, I probably won't need to replace tires for 2 yrs.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

I have an older version of that tire changer. The newer one changes the rim retainers so it can't ride up while you're dislodging the tire. Some of the criticisms here are correct, you will need to tape the rim retainers with hockey tape or duct tape to prevent scratches. I bent mine over and taped them. Also the centre piece used to hold the tire down is for car rims, not motorcycle rims, so you'll have to use a bar thin enough to go through your wheel bearings. I drilled four holes in my garage floor and installed cement anchors. I just bolt the thing down when I need to change a tire and put it away afterwards.

The dismounting bar supplied with the unit is junk. Don't use it. You can buy the No-Mar tire bar and get ripped off, or you can do what I did and buy the $18 duckhead unit for a professional tire machine and fasten it to a plumber's pipe:

They're much better than a No-Mar and very easy to use. I change tires in 10 minutes using this thing. Here's a vid of a guy using one:

If you do 20-40k a year on your bikes like me it's worth it. Once you're set up you'll never have to waste your time down at the motorcycle shop for a tire change again. Get one of the eBay wheel balancers and some weights and you're good to go. Perfect tires and perfect balancing all the time.

I have similar attached to a skid. Your weight standing on the skid provides enough stability.
Not really. My friend and I are about 150 lbs each, and we tried mounting my HF to a pallet, it was a pain. We drilled the holes in the garage floor and used anchors, and it was waaaaaay better.

Back
Top Bottom