Thoughts on this tire changing setup? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on this tire changing setup?

Not really. My friend and I are about 150 lbs each, and we tried mounting my HF to a pallet, it was a pain. We drilled the holes in the garage floor and used anchors, and it was waaaaaay better.
Receiver mount or bolted to the floor seem to be the best options. Either gives you a lot of mass and leverage attached to tire machine.

Unless you were racing or riding so much you did tire changes yearly or less, i'd see no benefits to owning a tire changer, let alone even thinking of doing it yourself...

It's not a cool tool where you can store it away easily.

I"ve seen setups that lock into your truck's tow 2" hitch that could be worthwhile since they disappear when you're done, but otherwise, no point really...
My friend and I were the go-to guys in the Toronto area for Hawk GT owners, so we helped a LOT of not only Hawkers but other riders as well with tire changes, maintenance and modifications. I upgraded to a commercial changer I got cheap and it's already paid itself off at $20/tire.

Receiver mount or bolted to the floor seem to be the best options. Either gives you a lot of mass and leverage attached to tire machine.
The third option is to weld an extended plate to the base and roll your car onto it.

I don't go through enough new shoes to justify owning a tire changer but I am curious how you guys balance your tires when you do your own.

I used to simply put the axle back through the wheel and support it with two jackstands, then mark the wheel and spin it to see if it reliably stopped spinning at the same point or not. Nowadays I don't even bother doing that, I just line up the dot on the tire with the valve stem.

When we did the trans taiga we took spare tubes and irons (we needed them). I asked my buddy "how will we break the bead on the trail?"
His reply "the kickstand" - it works.

Kickstand method will work but it assumes you have at least 2 bikes.

Once the wheel has been removed you cant use the kickstand on that bike to break the bead.

I dunno man.... Buy once cry once..?

My No-Mar has almost paid for itself in the 3-4 years I've owned it. Bolted to the floor it's solid as a rock. I used lags so I can and do remove/relocate it if need be.

Gjigh8t.jpg

"BikeMaster" static balancer for balancing...

vlD4Uk6.jpg

So I ordered the princess auto thing they shipped half of it apparently no one knows where all the box 2 of 2 parts are all the stores only have the box 1 of 2 like they sent me no box 2 anywhere to be found in ontario

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

Is there anything other than a no-mar worth buying?
I would like to have one but the price of a no-mar is unrealistic imo.
I wish I could convince my buddies to collectively purchase one but I also see problems with that.

Is there anything other than a no-mar worth buying?
I would like to have one but the price of a no-mar is unrealistic imo.
I wish I could convince my buddies to collectively purchase one but I also see problems with that.

Soft sidewall tires like Michelins are a breeze with just tire spoons. I customized a Harbor Freight setup for about $100 all-in including the Mojoblocks. I cut down the motorcycle wheel adapter as much as I could to lower it for better leverage. You'll want to find the thickest pivot bar that will fit through the front wheel bearings. And of course, choose a mounting bar - the one that comes with it is only good for bead breaking.

IMG_2578.jpg

Last edited:
FYI: Pit Bull makes a nifty device that hooks on to their rear stand so that you can raise the wheel during reinstallation onto the bike and line everything up to get the axle back in place easily: PIT-BULL PIT CREW TIRE WEDGE, MOTORCYCLE STANDS - Riders Choice

I'm a cheapskate so I usually just try to jam my foot under the tire to hold it up, or use a tire iron to lever it up to the right height, but that's awkward at best. However, I just remembered that I bought one of these inflatable shim things last fall for this purpose: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/winbag-inflatable-reusable-shim-300-lbs-/1001043193

I haven't tried it yet, but it should be slightly more elegant than using my foot or a chunk of 2x4.

So my update on this is princess auto never actually had any of these complete. They lost all the #2 boxes but kept selling and shipping half of a tire changer. Now I have to waste my time bringing half a tire changer back to the store that they shipped me.

Sent from my chesterfield using my thumbs

So my update on this is princess auto never actually had any of these complete. They lost all the #2 boxes but kept selling and shipping half of a tire changer. Now I have to waste my time bringing half a tire changer back to the store that they shipped me.

What an adventure... Lol

I'm sure they had stock, but just couldn't find it in the warehouse............ I've never been in a store where the staff working there had less of a clue as to where to find things. I asked one of the staff where something was and he said he didn't know. I asked if he could look up the item to identify where it was in the store in terms of an isle, shelf and bin number and he replied the PA didn't have such a system as each store was different..............

Cheap stuff for a reason.

I'm sure they had stock, but just couldn't find it in the warehouse............ I've never been in a store where the staff working there had less of a clue as to where to find things. I asked one of the staff where something was and he said he didn't know. I asked if he could look up the item to identify where it was in the store in terms of an isle, shelf and bin number and he replied the PA didn't have such a system as each store was different..............
I called 5 different stores no one had a box 2 and head office couldn't locate one in any store either. Makes no sense at least one guy got both parts. to leave a bad review for it.

Sent from my chesterfield using my thumbs

Back
Top Bottom