The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 224 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

That case looks comically large. Ugh!

Top cases look stupid, that photo angle makes it look especially ridiculous. Doesn't even look to be that big of a case, probably 45L or so.

Practically of a top case makes up for the goofiness, good news is that you can't see the top case when riding

Yeah - avoided one on the CB500x as they all looked stooopid on the kind of tail. The side bags look better and still hold 46 liters same as a big topcase and cost about the same.
cb500xmidsize.jpg

I hav stop and sides on the dl650 looks ok to me. Doesn’t block tail light. After not having side bags especially solid ones. Ouch the kneecap. I have adapted my mounting technique since. Children far and wide learned new words that day.

Vstrom has a different tail section. I did not mind the look even without the Jesse panniers. But the tail of the bike is designed for it.
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at May, 30    2020    9.56.09 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at May, 30    2020    10.01.11 PM.jpg

The CB500x and others look ridiculous with a top box hanging out there.
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at May, 30    2020    10.04.08 PM.jpg

Tho that SV is particularly ugly.

Last edited:
I couldn't live without my top box. Beer fits into it no problem.

How much does it weigh? Does it affect handling?

They aren't very heavy. They are not rated to carry much weight. If you do put something heavy in, make sure it can't flop around as then it will fight you as you lean. IME, handling is not affected at legal speeds. Well into 172 speeds, it feels like you are an expanded metal bridge. Just the strange floatiness that discourages you from doing much other than staying straight.

I couldn't live without my top box. Beer fits into it no problem.

Also useful for grabbing a medium pizza.

Even loaded up full you're not going to feel it much under normal riding conditions.

2004 SV650N $2000 Hard to find factory naked model

View attachment 43325

The Naked version are hard to find indeed, was my first bike a few years back. I looked and looked for ages to find an unmolested version, 05+ with the black frame. Finally found one, was all the way up in Kingston, trailered it back home, was in showroom condition, only had 13k kms and used as a garage queen by the last owners. Regret selling that bike, the buyer even paid me more than my asking price and it lasted less than 24hrs on Kijiji, He sent a deposit for me to take the ad down asap.

I thought selling the Yellow colour would be hard, apparently its sought after, and the OEM front shield even rarer.

v2UHrgx.jpg

Last edited:
I had the 2005 Royal blue black frame. I bought a used factory fairing but only found one in red. Really enjoyed the bike. If I was looking I would buy that one.

That yellow SV looks lovely. (y)

My kid solved the hang out the back problem with a top case and seat combo from Shad which replaced the pillion with a top case mount for our trip out west. He carried his diabetic supplies in the top case and he got a rack that went on the top case that was excellent for drying clothes. With the tank bag he was just okay.
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at May, 31    2020    5.59.16 AM.jpg
and had one of the Jesse panniers for his other gear. Poor old Vstrom aka The Mule was pretty loaded.
Those panniers hold a ton of stuff. We were out 20 days.
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at May, 31    2020    6.02.39 AM.jpg

I found the top case handling was noticeable - the Vstrom was better without it.....so was the CBF1000.

The panniers tho are a pain in tight quarters. Guy that owned my first CBF1000, a Quebec cop, dropped it at zero speed when a pannier clipped a garbage bin and I almost did the same thing at the Forks with the flower bed trying to get out of "too many bikes".
Panniers have saved a few legs on low sides. It's nice to have easy on off.
I'm very aware of them in traffic and prefer riding with one or none and just use the tank bank for local rides.

I've got a Nelson-Rigg 20 litre expandible to 27 liters on the CB500x. Fits an incredible amount of gear even the 13" laptop. It's a bit oversized but did the job on my solo outwest and rests my sore arm on the slab. Good for carrying the photo gear and having it right at hand for dumb luck shots.
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at May, 31    2020    6.28.59 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at May, 31    2020    6.28.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at May, 31 2020 6.28.59 AM.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at May, 31    2020    6.28.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at May, 31 2020 6.28.59 AM.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom