The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 36 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

I went to a police bicycle auction near me years ago as I wanted a mountain bike and had been shopping around. The idiots there were paying more than new prices for old and beaten up (and in some cases broken) bikes. That was the last of those auctions I ever went to.
I blame the Storage Wars, American/Canadian Pickers and shows like that. Everyone thinks they’ve got a gold mine on their hands when in reality it’s nothing more than fools gold.

Should’ve seen the look of all the miners when we hit a pocket of some minerals that were ‘Fools gold’. They were tripping over themselves to line their pockets.

I then told them it’s all mine because I’m the owners rep. Thought I was gonna get stabbed for a joke.

I used to love antique and farm auctions , and occasionally got some interesting stuff

My favorite was listening to the banter on early Canadiana pine primitive furntiture " oh look , ontario white pine! those craftsmen knew good wood." well no, they had no power tools , and about 100 million pine trees ....
I demolished a house in Sharon 20 years back. the craftsmen who built that house chose to use walnut. Hand sawn or hewn 10x10 for the baloon frame, 10x3 joists, and 16x2 floor boards. They chose walnut because it was standing on the lot, part of a grove planted 80years earlier by pioneers.

Ya, you can pay too much at an auction if you don't know the value of the item. Case in point, I had a friend who went to a farm estate auction once.

He noticed a parrot up for auction and decided he'd like to bid for it, in hopes of getting it cheap. His opening bid was for $50 but a persistent individual kept upping his bids and it quickly escalated in the hundreds.

Being caught up in the insane bidding and his pride told him to make a final bid of $1,000. He won the bidding war and when he went to pay the auctioneer, he said, "I hope this parrot can speak for the price I paid."

The auctioneer replied: "Sure does, who do you think was bidding against you?”

25% off some G Shock watches. There’s some watches on there for $4k. [G-Shock Canada] G-Shock Canada 25% OFF on certain watches - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
Hahahahaha. $5400 G-shock? They've got some stones producing those but obviously some people don't care about money.

GSHOCK-MRGB5000BA1-MRG-AO-ZUMI-LIMITED-DIGITAL-WATCH-1_700x.jpg

Hahahahaha. $5400 G-shock? They've got some stones producing those but obviously some people don't care about money.

GSHOCK-MRGB5000BA1-MRG-AO-ZUMI-LIMITED-DIGITAL-WATCH-1_700x.jpg

The silver version is only $4,600.

images

The MotoGP round in Portugal this weekend was sponsored by Tissot, and they also sponsor the series throughout the year as 'official timekeeper' or some such. Shame the MotoGP themed watches (T-Race) are, uh, not to my taste.

I've seen so many Tissot logos over the weekend that I just might have to get a Powermatic PRX or Visodate...

I'm almost tempted to buy the Super Mario G-Shock...but it's silly to spend $150 on such an item...

its that time of year again. watches n wonders 2023 and new watch release:
2023 Rolex Releases - finally some decorated movements and open casebacks. I am really digging the new rolex 1908 collection and green skydweller.
IWC Ingenier is back - of course another steel sports watch but I don't hate the looks.
Oris Propilot Kermit - I just picked up the pink/salmon version in Nov. Now I wish I hadn't.

Tudor has some interesting releases too, white dialed GMT looks nice but could never get over the thickness. New even smaller sized Black Bay 54 as well.

its that time of year again. watches n wonders 2023 and new watch release:
2023 Rolex Releases - finally some decorated movements and open casebacks. I am really digging the new rolex 1908 collection and green skydweller.
IWC Ingenier is back - of course another steel sports watch but I don't hate the looks.
Oris Propilot Kermit - I just picked up the pink/salmon version in Nov. Now I wish I hadn't.

Tudor has some interesting releases too, white dialed GMT looks nice but could never get over the thickness. New even smaller sized Black Bay 54 as well.
wtf is this thing? barf. That's like RR using a dildo instead of the spirit of ecstasy as a hood ornament. It doesn't matter how good the underlying product is, people will focus on the ugly part (especially when you put it front and centre). It's also a prick to read the time.

All-2023-Rolex-New-Models-Live-Photos-hands-on-New-2023-Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-bubble-colour-dial-2-2048x1365.jpg

Does kermit do something? Inset looks like he should do something. Flipbook style animation on a button press would be a neat trick.

20230309_OrisKermit_009.jpg

EDIT:
I call Kermit a fail too. He is on the date dial instead of a 1. Most of the time this is just an interesting green watch for over 5K.

Last edited:
BALLS!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom