The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 35 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

I thought Tissot was very expensive brand…

Pics please!
They are mid tier with lots of three figure quality pieces but some into the low four figure range. As an example the PRX is a three figure gem.

The Swissmatic is an interesting modern movement, machine made and not generally serviceable (parts are even thermal "welded" together, I have heard only one screw is used), it is how they can get a Swiss movement easily into that price point with plenty of margin. Instead it is a movement swap, the good news is Tissot says they guarantee parts availability for min 10 years, I bet it lasts way longer than that though.

Current bid is $19,900 CDN, list price is $12,150 CDN..... crazy time but likely not out of range on the secondary market.

Sort of like concert tickets, can't get them for list price as they are all sold out BUT if you really must have it.... pay a premium.

As for fake: Combating Counterfeit Products Act

I think you have a pretty good case to get your money back from the government, there are places in TO that will validate it for a price.... I have seen a couple over the years on the police auction site and wonder how all that would play out.

Current bid is $19,900 CDN, list price is $12,150 CDN..... crazy time but likely not out of

You likely also have no warranty.

I think many of these forfeited baubles are seized by customs when people dont declare on the way back in. You dont even know which country this watch originated in.

You likely also have no warranty.

I think many of these forfeited baubles are seized by customs when people dont declare on the way back in. You dont even know which country this watch originated in.
Yes, I would expect no warranty... and a premium paid for that privilege.

Best guess, either seized at the border or in a police drug raid drug/cache of stolen goods still sitting around in the box.
Edit, if it was stolen Rolex keeps a record of reported stolen watches and will sometimes seize them if you try to service it through them. I wonder what will happen here... There have been many reports of people that bought a bicycle that was stolen at the police auction (where they often get sold off), except the police still list it as stolen in the national database (not updated), so they seized the bike again years later.

So many questions... still likely 20K+ for a 12K watch that has been on an interesting journey.

Last edited:
Current bid is $19,900 CDN, list price is $12,150 CDN..... crazy time but likely not out of range on the secondary market.

Sort of like concert tickets, can't get them for list price as they are all sold out BUT if you really must have it.... pay a premium.

As for fake: Combating Counterfeit Products Act

I think you have a pretty good case to get your money back from the government, there are places in TO that will validate it for a price.... I have seen a couple over the years on the police auction site and wonder how all that would play out.
I'm not sure if that law would be enough. It seems to focus on people who knowingly infringe. GCSurplus has a good argument that they didn't know. I'd still be worried about this.

"
Goods sold “as-is/where-is”

All Goods are sold on an "as-is/where-is" basis. Canada /PWGSC/ GCSurplus makes no warranty, expressed or implied, legal, contractual or verbal, as to the quantity, kind, character, quality, weight, size, condition or fitness for any use or purpose with respect to the Goods listed on GCSurplus. Goods are purchased at the Purchaser's own risk and peril;

Any mention of a sale item’s condition in the sales listing represents the best assessment of the sales representative at the time of listing and is offered for guidance only and is not an enforceable condition of sale."

could be seizure in a drug raid , prostitution , smuggling , who knows, but the market for that watch in the 'grey' zone is 14-18cdn unless its a very special # , or edition. Somebody is overpaying IMO.
And as others have said , pretty unknwn history

could be seizure in a drug raid , prostitution , smuggling , who knows, but the market for that watch in the 'grey' zone is 14-18cdn unless its a very special # , or edition. Somebody is overpaying IMO.
There's still 11.5 days left on the auction. Either the price will go to the moon or the current high bidder will be sweating over his ill-thought out plan for almost two weeks.

EDIT:
It's pretty obvious there are some morons in the bidder pool. On bidder took it from 10.4 to 19 with 16 days left. If you want to bid 19, that's fine but do it with four minutes left not 16 days.

Legend has it that the watch in question encapsulates the ghost of a distant relative. The story goes that this spirit that lives in the winding gears died the virgin death in the old country by a jealous suitor. The bidder has sworn a blood oath in front of the eternal Virgin to bring the watch back to the exact place of the demise in order to free the soul to the heavens. A measly 18,000 duckets is laughable; HA! ;)

You could tie this to the housing thread , I must win this bid to show my women that I am a powerful provider and i am a winner .
Buyers regret must be powerful some days .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You could tie this to the housing thread , I must win this bid to show my women that I am a powerful provider and i am a winner .
Buyers regret must be powerful some days .

The other one that gets unsuspecting folks at auctions is the boiled frog element. "What's another $200? I'm already in for $5000..." Before you know it, you and the other idiot have far exceeded the true value. Having fallen prey to this myself a couple times (on a much lesser scale than that Rolex, mind you), it's what happens when you don't set an upper limit beforehand and stick to it. I massively overpaid for a piece of antique arts and crafts furniture once for this exact reason. It's also easy to justify the price in the heat of the moment because you convince yourself that if the other guy is willing to pay just as much, it must be worth that!

Looks like non-radioactive LumiNova or something like that, not Tritium.

Superluminova C3, per the website. I think the 'super' part is a bit of an overstatement...

The other one that gets unsuspecting folks at auctions is the boiled frog element. "What's another $200? I'm already in for $5000..." Before you know it, you and the other idiot have far exceeded the true value. Having fallen prey to this myself a couple times (on a much lesser scale than that Rolex, mind you), it's what happens when you don't set an upper limit beforehand and stick to it. I massively overpaid for a piece of antique arts and crafts furniture once for this exact reason. It's also easy to justify the price in the heat of the moment because you convince yourself that if the other guy is willing to pay just as much, it must be worth that!

Superluminova C3, per the website. I think the 'super' part is a bit of an overstatement...
The furniture one is trickier. If you truly love a piece of furniture or art, the chance you see another one that you feel the same about is low. The chance of finding another black oyster sub is 100%. The cool chocolate dials on the vintage subs command a rightful premium.

I tried to get a genius whose work I respected to make me a dresser (and a few smaller things). He sucked at business. I waited years with nothing. Sadly, last I heard ALS took him out the game.

I went to a police bicycle auction near me years ago as I wanted a mountain bike and had been shopping around. The idiots there were paying more than new prices for old and beaten up (and in some cases broken) bikes. That was the last of those auctions I ever went to.

I used to love antique and farm auctions , and occasionally got some interesting stuff

My favorite was listening to the banter on early Canadiana pine primitive furntiture " oh look , ontario white pine! those craftsmen knew good wood." well no, they had no power tools , and about 100 million pine trees ....

Back
Top Bottom