The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 204 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

Is he? It's been said driving is a prvilage, it should be taken away for life.
I'm with you. After conviction in court, I would love to see driving prohibition for decades or more. Sadly, our system doesn't do that. Being young and dumb, I'm not sure lifetime ban is appropriate at this point. A decade or two to mature prior to driving again seems reasonable. Drive like an idiot after that and I have no problem with permanent cancellation.

I'm with you. After conviction in court, I would love to see driving prohibition for decades or more. Sadly, our system doesn't do that. Being young and dumb, I'm not sure lifetime ban is appropriate at this point. A decade or two to mature prior to driving again seems reasonable. Drive like an idiot after that and I have no problem with permanent cancellation.
I doubt a court order would stop a moron like this driving unlicensed anyway...

Obviously correct as they already violated a court order.

I wonder if more could be done at MTO to make life harder(eg. cannot register any vehicles in your name either fit or unfit). Also include some clause about if you are driving a family members car, it is immediately seized and never returned as they should know about your situation. The only out is if family member fully assists with charging dirtbag with theft over (including testifying in court). If family member backs out, they lose bond equivalent to market value of car at time of seizure. It's much harder to stop friends from helping provide wheels as it's far harder for courts to prove they knew about the restrictions. I'm getting closer to the point of advocating for face tattoos. "DUI" or "No DL" on your forehead seems reasonable and lets everyone know you aren't supposed to be driving. Feel free to get it removed once you are eligible again.

I can’t remember the last time I got a speeding ticket that was for the actual speed I was doing. Cops use to use discretion.
They did use discretion. They decided that an offender who had already been given probation doesn't deserve a third chance.

Just like the crazies that shoot up schools and gang members usually aren't license gun owners. If you follow the various police twitter accounts across the GTA it's almost a daily occurrence of them pulling over drivers that are already suspended, including dump trucks and other commercial vehicles. One last month got a DUI, car impounded, license suspended, and the next day officers caught the person in another vehicle and that one got impounded as well in the same area of burlington or oakville. This person would surely get behind wheel again given the chance.

Pickup truck yesterday was making a three point turn, as I came around an 80 kph hairpin turn in the van, just in front of the maximum 60 sign.

I gave him a honk and a big thumbs up.

Kablammo.

285414096_386316360206686_494170320094712386_n.jpg

285406880_386316313540024_5708731922073045739_n.jpg

This person would surely get behind wheel again given the chance.

I have an uncle who ended up getting locked up (3 or 6 months, can't remember) for repeatedly getting caught driving while suspended. It was due to a DUI charge in the first place. He kept driving and kept moaning about "well how am I supposed to get to work then" ... if your breath can strip paint, maybe don't leave the house.

Meanwhile, 5 minutes down the road from my house...

If someone has a driving suspension via a conviction in court IMO if they are caught driving it should be automatic jail time (escalating starting at say six months first time). My guess is it will not be a deterrent but it will help space out the period between re-offending.

If it is a road side suspension, well I have some issues with the due-process in the first place....

I have an uncle who ended up getting locked up (3 or 6 months, can't remember) for repeatedly getting caught driving while suspended. It was due to a DUI charge in the first place. He kept driving and kept moaning about "well how am I supposed to get to work then" ... if your breath can strip paint, maybe don't leave the house.

Meanwhile, 5 minutes down the road from my house...
It's Brampton. More than likely one of them ran a fresh red, while the other had a green and didn't see a need to slow down the approach to the light. From there it became bumper cars and another couple of cars got sucked into the mess. I give that about 90% probability.

It's Brampton. More than likely one of them ran a fresh red, while the other had a green and didn't see a need to slow down the approach to the light. From there it became bumper cars and another couple of cars got sucked into the mess. I give that about 90% probability.
Since one of them managed to chuck their engine ~500' from the centre of the intersection, I would add that the one headed south on Hurontario was hauling ass. That's a lot of energy.

Mto burlington guy stopped 2 unlicensed drivers today, and yesterday Burlington officer got this person twice in a matter of a half an hour for the same offence :) People just don't care.

Once they start digging the hole they figure just keep digging. Hole gets bigger, next option is to dig more as it is "hopeless" now. That is why I feel jail time is the answer, it at least stops them for a few months eventually years on repeats even if it is not a deterrent for many.

An acquaintance from my home town had multiple DUIs and suspensions in his 20s/30s. Big fines, more suspensions. He just kept digging.... no license, no insurance, kept digging. Started putting on US plates to throw the cops off, they eventually caught on to that. At one point he gave up and gave his car to his roommate who put it back on the road legally. One night multiple cruisers did a hard take-down of the roommate as they recognized the car...to their surprise it was not him and the car was now legal (kind of funny). After a decade he turned it around but by that time it was a hard go to do so as the hole was huge, most would not.

Once they start digging the hole they figure just keep digging. Hole gets bigger, next option is to dig more as it is "hopeless" now. That is why I feel jail time is the answer, it at least stops them for a few months eventually years on repeats even if it is not a deterrent for many.

An acquaintance from my home town had multiple DUIs and suspensions in his 20s/30s. Big fines, more suspensions. He just kept digging.... no license, no insurance, kept digging. Started putting on US plates to throw the cops off, they eventually caught on to that. At one point he gave up and gave his car to his roommate who put it back on the road legally. One night multiple cruisers did a hard take-down of the roommate as they recognized the car...to their surprise it was not him and the car was now legal (kind of funny). After a decade he turned it around but by that time it was a hard go to do so as the hole was huge, most would not.
Since this guy has a decent merc, he's just an entitled prick. He could sell the car and pay for uber. Obviously he needs something much more life altering than a piece of paper. Seems reasonable that the law should allow for permanent seizure of the car (after conviction) in cases like this.

Since this guy has a decent merc, he's just an entitled prick. He could sell the car and pay for uber. Obviously he needs something much more life altering than a piece of paper. Seems reasonable that the law should allow for permanent seizure of the car (after conviction) in cases like this.
While in this case it is not clear if the license or other items (reg, insurance?) were just expired or actually suspended. I lean towards expired if it was license as the cop let them go the first time "to sort it"... can't sort a suspension and I assume the cop would see that the first time???

My guess.... one of a few things in cases like this with an actual suspension when it comes to seizure:
  • Lots of money, just get another one, maybe cheaper this time, does not matter much.
  • Not his car, he does not care (but someone else will), just more hole, don't care.
  • Owes money or lease on it. Credit hit is just part of digging the hole.
  • They might actually care.
Jail time is really the answer as they value their time much more than anything else. Again for repeat while suspended by the courts.

Obviously he needs something much more life altering than a piece of paper.
+
Jail time is really the answer as they value their time much more than anything else.
=
Could also do income-proportional fines, the way Finland did it. No matter how high up the ladder you are, still a stiff kick in the nuts.

Regarding suspension, I received a roadside suspension in 2012, cop said tow truck was coming. I asked if I could just get someone I knew who lived close by to pick up the car, he said he didn't care what happens between then and when the tow truck gets there, and just left. So it doesn't surprise me that some goofball would have just driven off, the opportunity was probably there.

(suspension story: speeding cam ticket, I moved and changed address, they sent ticket and then court order to old/wrong address, had drivers ID with new address to prove it, after a month I met with a JP and she gave me license back with a "these things happen")

Back
Top Bottom