Stopped by cops because I was in violation of the rules of an M1!!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stopped by cops because I was in violation of the rules of an M1!!!

I don't see anything wrong with what they did. I rather have police doing random stops to see if the rider is the owner of the bike other then a thief. Regardless of what bike he on operating. The cop seemed to be polite and didn't give the rider a hard time. I get pulled over randomly at times. I don't mind as long as I know they are doing their job to insure safety and legitimate operation of the vehicle. If someone other then yourself was on your bike without your knowledge and the copper pulled them over, I'm sure you would all be happy about that. The fact still stands that he didn't even get a ticket...so what's the problem?

the problem i see is that the cop does not know the laws he's supposed to enforce and there is no accountability on that. fortunately the officer realized his mistake and sent the OP on his merry way with nothing but wasted time. now if the cops doesn't know the laws they are supposed to enforce what laws are they missing?

the problem i see is that the cop does not know the laws he's supposed to enforce and there is no accountability on that. fortunately the officer realized his mistake and sent the OP on his merry way with nothing but wasted time. now if the cops doesn't know the laws they are supposed to enforce what laws are they missing?

No worries. There's a city full of smart alecks willing to tell him the letter of the law in no uncertain terms. Do you know every aspect of your job 100%, including anything new?
It's possible the op was weaving and the cop wanted to check his breath.

OP. You didn't go on the highway, have a passenger or a drink did you?

Last edited:
No worries. There's a city full of smart alecks willing to tell him the letter of the law in no uncertain terms. Do you know every aspect of your job 100%, including anything new?

Nope, none of those. The only thing I can think of is that I might have slowed down a little to much to make the left turn, but like I said, I'm still a noob and there were streetcar tracks involved :)

They didn't even ask about me having anything to drink. I would have been more than happy to do a breathalyzer test. They really seemed to think that I was just not allowed to ride by myself. I agree that not everyone does their job 100%, but there is a difference between not knowing something, and thinking you know something and trying to enforce it

Yes they do. I have a AM2Z they always run my plates and realize iv got a commercial licence so they really dont bother me. To the cops i have more to loose because they think i making my living driving

I sat at an off ramp light for what felt like 30 minutes with a cop behind me when I had my m1... after that i didn't think they could see your licence class.

man was i nervous!!

i get graded on my job knowledge all the time and the policies and support issues change more than the laws do. the graduated licencing rules have been the same for about 16 years now? pretty standard stuff

From what I know cops can pull you over to verify license and insurance validity. I remember watching On Patrol on TV where during the roll call the York Police Sgt. told the officers that they were to focus on traffic violations and that they are permitted by law to stop any driver to check for valid license and insurance.

He probably thought that you're only allowed to ride your motorcycle 2 up with a rider that has 4+ years of riding experience.

He probably thought that you're only allowed to ride your motorcycle 2 up with a rider that has 4+ years of riding experience.

The OP didn't mention a passenger. But if he/she did, you would be correct; M1 riders cannot carry anyone else: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml

Think of it like this: you just taught someone something new.

It's not the public's responsibility to educate the police, rather it's the police's responsibility to educate the public.

"People should not fear their government. Government should fear their people." - Alan Moore (V for Vendetta)

Last edited:
It's possible that your slowing down made him check you out or maybe a bike was stolen near there or a thousand other possible reasons. I've never been a cop so I don't know how it works. I've just found that being polite works in my favour most of the time. When I was a kid I remember being stopped about 4 blocks from home in my dad's car at around 2 a.m. for over an hour. The officer had trouble checking my license info since there was a problem with the system. Afterwards he apologized for the delay.

It's also likely he was hoping you wouldn't know if you were in violation of your M1. Cops do things in a round about way to catch people off guard, it's how you pick out the idiots who think they know the system better than they do. It might have also been a dickish way of reminding you about the time restriction. Sunset is roughly 8-8:30, but I'm sure they expect you to be packing it in by 7-7:30.

some weird way for them to make a living... :/
i'm guessing police gets paid by how many tickets they've scratched per ____?

a cop once stopped me for riding a bicycle on sidewalk on yonge street (north york - the busy high speed) and told me that bicycles aren't allowed on sidewalks.
i heard beforehand that bikes with 26" or less can ride on sidewalk. and few weeks before that dude got killed on a bicycle in downtown (jarvis st??)... that dude who was like.. minister?? or yea... anyway...
i had all my gears - helmet, gloves, knee guards. (i was riding bicycle, too).
and also told him "if you were on bicycle and was told to ride it on this busy busy street where ppl ride past you 80km/hr, sometimes rushing through yellow lights, would you?" and before he answered, some other cyclist almost got hit by a car (who was riding on the road) few blocks down..

i was late for work.....

They don't get paid by the ticket, but they do have "performance expectations" (not "quite" quotas) and those who write more ticket are seen as better performers (amongst other criteria).

They don't get paid by the ticket, but they do have "performance expectations" (not "quite" quotas) and those who write more ticket are seen as better performers (amongst other criteria).

Don't forget targeting, profiling, discrimination, plus it's exciting and fun too. :)

Don't forget targeting, profiling, discrimination, plus it's exciting and fun too. :)

That's a different can of worms.. Very useful when they go fishin' :cool:

with the over time they can get they certainly can get extra pay for each ticket

I hold cops to a higher standard than everyone else because they hold us to the standards, shouldn't they know the standards that they are holding us to?

They are contracted. Would you re-sign a contract with an increase if they under performed? Sad, but policing is still a business in a sense. They also work under the mentality that there's always someone out there doing something wrong and often times it's not painfully obvious who those people are. Routine checks are their solution.

The ease with which people judge what a cop does has always baffled me. But, I guess that's what people do these days.

I'm fairly sure they don't see your license, just like with a car. That's why they have to run your license back inside the car, to see who you are. Besides, you can lend your vehicle legally to people, so it would be pointless to have any driver's license information attached to a vehicle license plate.

I'm fairly sure they don't see your license, just like with a car. That's why they have to run your license back inside the car, to see who you are. Besides, you can lend your vehicle legally to people, so it would be pointless to have any driver's license information attached to a vehicle license plate.

Actually it's not pointless. If a driver or rider has a suspended license or if by some chance they manage to evade them in a pursuit the driver/vehicle attachment would serve as vital information. They would still need to verify whether the vehicle operator is the owner and if they are any warrants hence why they ask for the license.

Back
Top Bottom