Stopped by cops because I was in violation of the rules of an M1!!! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stopped by cops because I was in violation of the rules of an M1!!!

Actually it's not pointless. If a driver or rider has a suspended license or if by some chance they manage to evade them in a pursuit the driver/vehicle attachment would serve as vital information. They would still need to verify whether the vehicle operator is the owner and if they are any warrants hence why they ask for the license.

wait... so which is it -- we can legally lend our friends/family-members our motorcycle or we cannot? :/

You can legally lend your vehicle to anyone with a relevant license. Call your insurance company and ask them if you don't believe me. I did, they said it was cool.

I'm fairly sure they don't see your license, just like with a car. That's why they have to run your license back inside the car, to see who you are. Besides, you can lend your vehicle legally to people, so it would be pointless to have any driver's license information attached to a vehicle license plate.

actually they can pull information on your licence. My friend bought his daughter a car and it is in his name, his insurance (she's listed as primary driver). His licence was suspended for medical reasons, the police pulled her over and asked her if she knew the owner of the car has his licence suspended... (obviously she did).

Yes its legal to lend a vehicle to anyone with certain exceptions.

For example, parents own a car and their kid gets listed as an occasional driver on the policy. If the kid takes the car and gets busted a few times for various moving violations and the insurance co. finds out they'll increase the rates. Unless they take the kid off the policy and Mom & Dad submit paperwork declaring that the kid will no longer use the vehicle under any circumstances. It's also my understanding that depending on the policy and the insurance co. some drivers under 25 may not be permitted to drive. (I could be wrong about this and mixing it up with car rentals.)

Obviously the other exception is the person who is borrowing the vehicle needs to hold the proper license endorsements (AZ, DZ, B, G, M etc) in order to legally operate the vehicle in question.

I sat at an off ramp light for what felt like 30 minutes with a cop behind me when I had my m1... after that i didn't think they could see your licence class.

man was i nervous!!

dude I got ticketed for passing on the shoulder on the 403/Winston Churchill offramp. There was a hugeeeeeeeeeee lineup so I ripped it up the shoulder, the second car was an undercover...I just had my m1 and was nervous too but he didn't seem to notice or care...he just gave me the improper passing ticket.

dude I got ticketed for passing on the shoulder on the 403/Winston Churchill offramp. There was a hugeeeeeeeeeee lineup so I ripped it up the shoulder, the second car was an undercover...I just had my m1 and was nervous too but he didn't seem to notice or care...he just gave me the improper passing ticket.

You're pretty lucky the officer could have suspended your license and ticketed you for the M1 violation plus the improper passing. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml

Scarborough or Brampton, seems random checks happen more when I'm out there. Which leads to the question "have any drugs or weapons on you?" and "mind if we search your vehicle" to which I reply "I do not consent"...

... Or maybe it's just my bad luck :confused:

Scarborough or Brampton, seems random checks happen more when I'm out there. Which leads to the question "have any drugs or weapons on you?" and "mind if we search your vehicle" to which I reply "I do not consent"...

... Or maybe it's just my bad luck :confused:

so what happens if you say "i do not consent"?? do the cops do anything?

so what happens if you say "i do not consent"?? do the cops do anything?

Technically they can't do anything.. Of course, if they have a real hardon for you, they can make up some "reasonable grounds" (that's the CDN version of "probable cause" that you learned about in your favourite TV show) and still search your vehicle, but in general they back off. If you have nothing to hide, tell them "I do NOT consent to any searches of my person or property." Same goes if you do have something to hide.. If they want it that badly, they should go through the trouble of getting a warrant instead. Also, don't fall for the good ol' scare tactic of "I can't help you if you don't consent." His job isn't to "help you." His job is to charge you and get you convicted.
Actually the new rage is broadening the range of "arrestable offenses." Technically, not wearing a seatbelt is an "arrestable offense" in some jurisdictions. That means that he can charge you with something like that and search your person/vehicle if he decides to be a real dick, but you'd be no worse off than if you just gave him your consent.
This is coming from a law-abiding citizen who values his privacy and who has already refused consent to cops in the past for that reason. Another very important reason is that you don't want them to expect from everyone to lie down and allow them to perform warrantless searches. They would start treating everyone who refuses to give consent as a criminal. If more regular people give them a strong NO, they learn that they need to go through the proper channel and give up on the sport of fishing.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice.

i usually try to keep stuff cool and "meh"...but i can't stand police (or ANYBODY of high rank, authority, position, etc) to abuse their power.
i didn't know police have to get warrant to search vehicles too...new thing learnt :) hehehe

seriously, toronto police should step up their standard. *steps would be more accurate....

This doesn't have anything to do with personal abuse of power.. It's more about institutional abuse of power and general expectations. We are required to obey the law and they are required to follow procedures. It is our civic duty to remind them of those procedures and for them not to expect to be easily allowed to violate those procedures each and every time they deal with the public.

i didn't know police have to get warrant to search vehicles too...new thing learnt :) hehehe
Here's another new thing to learn.... police can search a vehicle without any need for a search warrant under a whole range of common scenarios that do not involve any suspected criminal offence on your part, whether you consent or not.

Reasonable ground to believe you have have a radar detector as one.

If you consent you don't have a leg to stand on in court. If you don't consent, at least you're giving your lawyer something to work with.

ok this is some nice intel :) thanks y'all :3

i guess it's more like "ride with the flow" and try not to look or sound....out-of-ordinary? :/

ok this is some nice intel :) thanks y'all :3

i guess it's more like "ride with the flow" and try not to look or sound....out-of-ordinary? :/

it's better to not break your m1 restrictions... it's only 2 months.... police are ALWAYS scanning plates at random whether you're doing something that looks out of place or not

I have M2 but i still don't have the bike... (tears*)

planning on buying next year after i saved enough.

Technically they can't do anything.. Of course, if they have a real hardon for you, they can make up some "reasonable grounds" (that's the CDN version of "probable cause" that you learned about in your favourite TV show) and still search your vehicle, but in general they back off. If you have nothing to hide, tell them "I do NOT consent to any searches of my person or property." Same goes if you do have something to hide.. If they want it that badly, they should go through the trouble of getting a warrant instead. Also, don't fall for the good ol' scare tactic of "I can't help you if you don't consent." His job isn't to "help you." His job is to charge you and get you convicted.
Actually the new rage is broadening the range of "arrestable offenses." Technically, not wearing a seatbelt is an "arrestable offense" in some jurisdictions. That means that he can charge you with something like that and search your person/vehicle if he decides to be a real dick, but you'd be no worse off than if you just gave him your consent.
This is coming from a law-abiding citizen who values his privacy and who has already refused consent to cops in the past for that reason. Another very important reason is that you don't want them to expect from everyone to lie down and allow them to perform warrantless searches. They would start treating everyone who refuses to give consent as a criminal. If more regular people give them a strong NO, they learn that they need to go through the proper channel and give up on the sport of fishing.

In honesty though I see no issue letting them search if you have nothing to hide. That's the perfect time to schmooze the officer and make him your friend. In every instance of me ever being stopped by a police officer for something, I have never gotten a ticket and always let go with a smile. Once the guy knows your cool he'll leave ya alone. It's very easy to remember someone on a bike. I would rather they remember good stuff than bad. They are regular folk like you and me under the same work pressures. We all know that in our jobs, if we get the job done and stay under the radar, then we will have a much happier career. We are all just rats stuck in the same cage.

Back
Top Bottom