Stocks | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

shorting CDN oil stocks might also be a good play
oil sands is now officially in negative territory at current barrel discount vs WTI

Would have been a great short when oil was a hun. How low is it going?

the discount for CDN oil vs WTI has broadened, as oil in general has fallen
if the trend continues as some analysts say, the oilsands could be over in a few years
planet wins, the loonie will take a beating

the only other sizable tar sands deposit is in Venezuela
with oil at $100/bbl it was not economically viable

if OilCo's can't make a go of it in Alberta
no chance of that reserve being developed

the proposed price of $20/bbl will rule out dirty oil
the planet will win

but continue if you like
good debate LC

I don't think we're talking about the same thing

Oil sands may be the dirtiest and most expensive method, but fracking and conventional drilling is still harmful to the planet. The Middle East will still turn a profit at $20 WTI. It won't be able to balance their national budget, but the cost of extraction is well below $20.

I am not brave enough to short Canadian oil producers. For that matter, I'm not optimistic about them, either, so I don't own anything that is purely dependent on Alberta.

There are companies that go all the way from producer to retail ... this should insulate them from the Alberta oil sands situation. (Disclaimer: I own some SU and ENB. There are others.)

Gold? Who's liking the shiney stuff in these markets?
I've been buying NUGT, 100 at a time, every time the price of gold dips to 1202.50 for the past 5-6 months. Up to 1700 pieces. We'll see how this works out.
Anyone starting out? You may want to consider a SMALL investment in a Precious Metal mutual fund, at your favorite bank. NOT ALL YOUR MONEY!
(someone gave that exact advice when I was 19).

Sold. All of it this am. I'll wait for $1202 gold. Rince and repeat.

Dow up 600+ points yesterday because Trump vs China seemed to have a truce in their tariff war. Dow down 800+ points today because people realized that this doesn't really change anything in the big picture.

I bought back some call options that I had sold short. Tomorrow the US will be taking a break to remember the elder Bush.

Lots of stocks have been headed down. My own opinion is that they're not done going down. Trump uncertainty. China trade uncertainty. General trade uncertainty. Brexit uncertainty. Markets hate uncertainty.

Lots of stocks have been headed down. My own opinion is that they're not done going down. Trump uncertainty. China trade uncertainty. General trade uncertainty. Brexit uncertainty. Markets hate uncertainty.

Gonna wait a couple more days. Hoping the market drops more so I can invest more. Freight volumes have been through the roof this year. Doesn't look anything like a downturn yet. Everyone's busy and everyone's hiring. I blame speculators for the uncertainty. Buy low, and stay in.

Anyone ever hear about this classic Chinese business tactic where they place a couple of orders from a business to gain trust then place a huge order that they promptly cancel leaving the target company insolvent leading up to to them buying up the targets tooling for cents on the dollar?
https://business.financialpost.com/...ure-in-china-gets-453-mln-state-rail-contract

Interesting. The things you learn on a motorcycle forum.

If that puts the final nail in the Bombardier coffin it doesn't bother me. Way too much nostalgia and way too little competitiveness associated with the company currently. Government bailout while leaving the family in control to continue to suck is criminal.

Today being yet another down day ... I just bought some LB (Laurentian Bank) which has been beaten up over the last few months. I sold December call options against it (expiration is only a week away). If it goes up and gets called away a week today, I'm fine with that. If it doesn't, I'm okay with the almost 7% yield ... and the ex-dividend date is at the end of December; I'm okay with collecting that, too.

Back
Top Bottom