Stocks | Page 30 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

Should we be having a look at these now?

Good question. I own them, but after being flamed a while ago, over an ipo that I clearly stated I didn't own. Anyone with a clue could have done ok with it.
So. I refrain from doing so, with the odd exception.

By the way...

THANKS Gary!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome. Hope you got below $25?
Takes guts of iron to hold this one.
After I spent some, my daughter gave me a ride to pick this up, and recorded it.

https://youtu.be/U_-BRu5X7ds

Last edited:
Good question. I own them, but after being flamed a while ago, over an ipo that I clearly stated I didn't own. Anyone with a clue could have done ok with it.
So. I refrain from doing so, with the odd exception.

You're welcome. Hope you got below $25?
Takes guts of iron to hold this one.
After I spent some, my daughter gave me a ride to pick this up, and recorded it.

https://youtu.be/U_-BRu5X7ds

you didnt light it up!! that's sort of the point of youtube,

very nice ride BTW

Gold? Who's liking the shiney stuff in these markets?
I've been buying NUGT, 100 at a time, every time the price of gold dips to 1202.50 for the past 5-6 months. Up to 1700 pieces. We'll see how this works out.
Anyone starting out? You may want to consider a SMALL investment in a Precious Metal mutual fund, at your favorite bank. NOT ALL YOUR MONEY!
(someone gave that exact advice when I was 19).

Last edited:
I am okay with having stayed completely out of the marijuana situation (in addition to the various US border crossing issues that have been discussed). I can correctly answer "no" to the question "are you involved in this in any way" and nothing will turn up no matter what digging they do because there isn't any and has never been any.

I've done some trading involving the gold miners (mostly AEM, some ABG) in the past but only, as usual, as an opportunity to sell call options against them. no small caps for me. I don't own anything that doesn't pay a dividend.

I currently own some Linamar and Magna which I bought back when there was uncertainty about trade deals with the hope that they would go up when nafta was sorted out. That didn't happen, probably because the steel and aluminum tariffs remained. It still might happen. In the meantime, option prices are high, so I've been selling out of the money call options against them ... as usual.

Portfolio is down some, low oil prices have not been helping.

I do believe that we are heading for an economic slowdown. The US has been keeping the foot on the stimulus accelerator too much for too long in a mysterious attempt to reduce unemployment which is already at record lows.

My energy stocks took a beating, then the tech stocks, I'm down 28K in two months. I did do well with canopy for a while and got out before the 3rd dip. I'm watching gold but dont know much about it , what I've read in the globe and mail is gold is going to pogo stick for a while.

My energy stocks took a beating, then the tech stocks, I'm down 28K in two months. I did do well with canopy for a while and got out before the 3rd dip. I'm watching gold but dont know much about it , what I've read in the globe and mail is gold is going to pogo stick for a while.

The globe & mail has nuttin on GTAM!
You're only down if you sell. Stop losses may be of interest?
I held div.to since inception. 8% divi. My stop losses cleaned me out. I have some that came via the last divi :-( ......but i did ok....stop loss saved me.....it's down 30% since i was cleared out.
I played / day traded shop.to while i was recouping from surgery. That was fun. I'm done with that one now.

I'm just going to leave this here. I'll be back for it in 12-18 months time...

2r5pwn6.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here. I'll be back for it in 12-18 months time...

2r5pwn6.jpg

If you take that cash, and put it in a tsxspx stock indexed gic for 24 months, you can make up to 10%. Zero risk, other than not making a penny.

I've not heard of market-based GICs before, thanks for that! "Up to 10%" is not meaningful if you're bearish on the market (but not ballsy enough to short).

When I mentioned cash, I meant liquid vehicles, like money market, HISAs. I have a lot of it stashed in 90-day GICs, but I'd still want to be able to pull the trigger on any deals in the upcoming market crash.

Various FIs are offering 3+% teaser rates, so I'm just rotating funds around. That's like a guaranteed 6.5% return over 24 months.

I've not heard of market-based GICs before, thanks for that! "Up to 10%" is not meaningful if you're bearish on the market (but not ballsy enough to short).

When i used to get the jitters, this helped:
Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC

When i used to get the jitters, this helped:
Scotiabank Equity Powered GIC

Drawback is the minimum 2-years term. Also minimum income at 1%? Nope.

As stated, I'm into liquidity in case I want to deploy funds quickly. So the only GIC I'd look at is a 90-day or less and keep rolling it over. Losing out on < 3 mos interest is an okay compromise if the rate is high enough. I've got a 3.2% HISA that keeps raising the rate everytime the BoC does.

Last edited:
The globe & mail has nuttin on GTAM!
You're only down if you sell. Stop losses may be of interest?
I held div.to since inception. 8% divi. My stop losses cleaned me out. I have some that came via the last divi :-( ......but i did ok....stop loss saved me.....it's down 30% since i was cleared out.
I played / day traded shop.to while i was recouping from surgery. That was fun. I'm done with that one now.

True enough, I'm down in paper value, haven't sold so its a value drop . Cash is king, we don't holds wads, maybe 50-60K at a time, but that may be changing if the market doesn't 'settle out' .

Gold? Who's liking the shiney stuff in these markets?
I've been buying NUGT, 100 at a time, every time the price of gold dips to 1202.50 for the past 5-6 months. Up to 1700 pieces. We'll see how this works out.
Anyone starting out? You may want to consider a SMALL investment in a Precious Metal mutual fund, at your favorite bank. NOT ALL YOUR MONEY!
(someone gave that exact advice when I was 19).

gold can be a good play
mining stocks, rather than bullion, swing harder
so if you're on it, more potential gains/losses

for those playing within a registered account
plenty of good Canadian gold miners are TSE traded
and eligible for investment within your tax sheltered account

shorting CDN oil stocks might also be a good play
oil sands is now officially in negative territory at current barrel discount vs WTI

Back
Top Bottom