Rogers sux | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rogers sux

and

you can use another DNS
I actually suggest a DNS independent from your ISP

I like level 3 DNS
google DNS is fast, but nahh, ain't doing that
I believe it is always best to you your ISP's DNS. You have to go through their network before getting out to the rest of the internet. So if their DNS dies, you are going to be stuck anyway. I've tried to use alternative DNS and found them to be slower. I'm sure teksavvy also uses a proxy server to funnel everything as well.

I believe it is always best to you your ISP's DNS. You have to go through their network before getting out to the rest of the internet. So if their DNS dies, you are going to be stuck anyway. I've tried to use alternative DNS and found them to be slower. I'm sure teksavvy also uses a proxy server to funnel everything as well.
I have tried DNS's independent of my ISP and have noticed that pages take a bit longer to load. Now, I am back to the default.
If security is a concern, then VPN is the way to go, a less expensive alternate is your own custom DNS

Doesn't internet and mobile in Canada just suck in general compared to other countries?
Cost-wise, Canada is expensive.
As a visitor to a certain so-called 3rd world country, Vodafone was able to give me 120GB of data P/M with two numbers on a sharing plan at the equivalent of $15 P/M with BYOP and unlimited nation-wide (their nation) calling.

Doesn't internet and mobile in Canada just suck in general compared to other countries?

Coverage and quality of service we do quite well, when you take into account the coverage area and the size of the customer base, but it's expensive.
Africa wins in coverage/cost, but quality suffers
Europe and Asia wins in cost/quality but look at the population density.
If Canada concentrated coverage in the area 100 miles north of the border, where 90% of the population lives, we could have wireless like Europe.
I think I saw an article the other day saying we're in the top 10 for 5G coverage.
One of the best designed infrastructures is in India... cuz they bought it from us in the '80s, when Nortel ruled the world.
We're still using infrastructure that was installed in the '50s, or maybe earlier. You can still have a dial/analog phone in Ontario.

You can still have a dial/analog phone in Ontario.
My parents landline cuts out whenever it rains. They are on a first name basis with the techs. I don't know the technical terms, but apparently where they switch from copper to fiber (6 km from their house) gets wet feet in the rain and cuts out. The techs have been pushing up the chain to get a proper solution but for the last few years they have been unsuccessful.

Coverage and quality of service we do quite well, when you take into account the coverage area and the size of the customer base, but it's expensive.
Africa wins in coverage/cost, but quality suffers
Europe and Asia wins in cost/quality but look at the population density.
If Canada concentrated coverage in the area 100 miles north of the border, where 90% of the population lives, we could have wireless like Europe.
Yeah, cept the second its bike season, its also cottage season. A tower that's supposed to service 25 square km in cottage country with only 30 something people jumps up to 3000 cause covid 'work from home' has a much different definition to some people.

I cant stand Rogers and the ******** monopolies they and bell have, but they undercut the other providers by a large margin and its not worth changing right now. If an isp came out with a decent price id jump ship immediately.

Yeah, cept the second its bike season, its also cottage season. A tower that's supposed to service 25 square km in cottage country with only 30 something people jumps up to 3000 cause covid 'work from home' has a much different definition to some people.
Was actually thinking about this today....work confirmed we are WFH until spring at the earliest...with a possible extension to summer. Obviously I'm considering just going and staying at the cottage in Wasaga.

Anyone have experience with internet providers out that way? Unfortunately my work is 70% video / voice calling via laptop / company phone. Considered one of those USB hubs originally but not sure if it may be better to just setup a wifi at the cottage.

yes...expensive and terrible

for a comparison, I lived/worked in Ghana for 3 years

very affordable and at least 3G data everywhere, LTE in towns and cities

developing countries without landline networks do better than Canada for coverage

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Was actually thinking about this today....work confirmed we are WFH until spring at the earliest...with a possible extension to summer. Obviously I'm considering just going and staying at the cottage in Wasaga.

Anyone have experience with internet providers out that way? Unfortunately my work is 70% video / voice calling via laptop / company phone. Considered one of those USB hubs originally but not sure if it may be better to just setup a wifi at the cottage.
I would just put proper internet in a the cottage. The cost is minimal compared to the hassle and expense of cell-phone internet. I am not that far away, but service availability is very location specific. Teksavvy lets you put in your postal code and see what is available (although it is not always accurate and the reps have more data available).

developing countries without landline networks do better than Canada for coverage

There was better cell signal on safari in Kenya 15 years ago than at my house now.

Just checked. TEKSAVVY is available at the cottage with all their packages. I think the harder discussion will be with the wife....'Hon....can't work here with screaming toddlers....come up on the weekend!'

There was better cell signal on safari in Kenya 15 years ago than at my house now.
You get cell phone service at home? If I I don't run a booster with antenna on a 40' tower I get no service

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

You get cell phone service at home? If I I don't run a booster with antenna on a 40' tower I get no service

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
I'm in a subdivision. It would be nice if rural areas had coverage, but I would expect that they would have at least covered developments.

The Ontario government is providing funding to spur growth in rural broadband--or--Ontario taxpayer's money being thrown at million/billion dollar companies to get them to build rural broadband. That should cover the political spectrum here.... Applications are going in right now.

BTW in Canada the CRTC defines broadband as 50 Mbps X 10 Mbps or better.

Keep in mind that NIMBY applies much more in developed nations. Good luck telling your neighbor why they should have a cell tower in their property instead of on yours.

Back
Top Bottom