Rogers sux | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rogers sux

TK4

For the sixth time in the last 3 weeks my TV and internet are down.
Thank goodness my neighbour lets me tag on to their wifi (Bell).
Is there any provider any better or all they all just gangsters ?

Aholes. All of the major players. Smaller guys like teksavvy are infinitely better but rely on duopoly infrastructure so you wont get more reliable service just a warm fuzzy feeling that some of your money is used for the fight against evil.

had really good luck with Cogeco cable internet through a reseller - Start.ca
~ 5 years of reliability, went down maybe twice for a short period
but you have to be in a Cogeco town to get that

Rogers has actually been really good for cellular though

Teksavvy customer here for 4 years, can count on one hand the number of times its been down longer then an hour.

I realize they piggy back off the Robbers network.

At least when I have had to call in (twice), I dont want to strangle the person on the other end of the phone.

For "wired" or "land" connections for most of Canada you have a choice between one of the two providers in your area (duopoly)--one historically "cable" and one historical "telephone" provider. In some cases only one exists. In most cases they all offer "triple play" (Internet, Voice and Video).

Cable guys, Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, Videotron, Eastlink, and many other smaller ones.
Telephone guys, Bell, Telus, and many smaller ones.
There are corner cases but in general you only get one of each and not two cable or two telephone providers to one area. No switching from Rogers to Cogeco for example, unless you move.

The core technologies they use, different for different areas:
Cable: HFC with DOCSIS. RFoG with DOCSIS (FTTH) or EPON/GPON (FTTH) -- Phone is IP (MGCP or SIP), Video is legacy digital or IPTV.
Telephone: Copper with xDSL or GPON (FTTH) -- Phone is POTS or IP (SIP), Video is mostly IPTV (or sat).

Most people are only concerned with Internet these days.... Companies like Start, TekSavvy, etc. basically are TPIAs and run over top of the infrastructure above. If your Rogers access sucks due to plant problems the TPIA that uses Rogers will be exactly as sucky. They even have sub brands like Rogers has Fido and Bell has Virgin that are marketed like a TPIA.

In general, and I really know this.... For every person that say X sucks, there is a different person that says Y sucks. Different areas, different tech, different experiences. Old coax, new coaxs, old copper, new copper, new fibre....

Wireless/cellular has more options in most areas.

Waiting until I can get Bell tech. serviced by Teksavvy.

Teksavvy doesn't appear to have the high-end Bell internet, yet. We had them with Rogers and only left because they wouldn't come down in price when everyone else did. They were a month later.

Waiting until I can get Bell tech. serviced by Teksavvy.

Teksavvy doesn't appear to have the high-end Bell internet, yet. We had them with Rogers and only left because they wouldn't come down in price when everyone else did. They were a month later.
Afaik, bell is keeping top tier speeds for themselves. Teksavvy maxes out around 50 Mbps.

Just checked my address:

8638a93083ae2351e4096d7b993a89b5.jpg

Btw, I’m on Start 250/20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afaik, bell is keeping top tier speeds for themselves. Teksavvy maxes out around 50 Mbps.

Two general reasons for TPIA over legacy telephone providers:
  • There are parameters that change the tariff and offering higher speeds increases the costs for the TPIA so most stick with the meaty part of the curve. It is not as simple as just speed but it kind of boils down to it.
  • Also, vDSL2 can only do so much distance wise and taps out more or less at 50 Mbps with the typical current distance (length of copper) between the sub and the DSLAM. The TPIA may not be able to use the FTTH (GPON for Bell) that is used to offer speeds 50 Mbos+ to offer the higher speeds (for various "technical" reasons).
For cable it is mostly the first point as DOCSIS 3.1 can do 1 Gbps plus on legacy HFC, they go higher than 50 Mbps but still stay in the meaty part of the curve due to tariff reasons. Distance limitation is 160 km (so no distance limitation in the real world).... Remember many TPIAs can use both main providers in an area.

In general, real world, most users can get by easily with 50 Mbps.

Last edited:
Been down once in all my years on Start. All of east Oakville went down with an equipment problem (Cogeco) after a major storm.

Reliability is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time Teksavvy cable internet customer here. Service is good, and for whatever reason more reliable then rogers, eventhough they use rogers network. No hassles with billing either, (it's correct every month). They do have some issues but it's to be expected with tech. They use to have DNS outages every time a major rain storm happened, which was weird. Also my cable modem gets kicked off the network on some strange occasions but it's usually back up and running in a few hours.

Rate were usually lower then the big guys but there has been some manipulation from the big guys pressuring the gov and CRTC so they have been forced to raise rates. Typical monopoly $hitt in Canada.

Long time Teksavvy cable internet customer here. Service is good, and for whatever reason more reliable then rogers, eventhough they use rogers network. No hassles with billing either, (it's correct every month). They do have some issues but it's to be expected with tech. They use to have DNS outages every time a major rain storm happened, which was weird. Also my cable modem gets kicked off the network on some strange occasions but it's usually back up and running in a few hours.

Rate were usually lower then the big guys but there has been some manipulation from the big guys pressuring the gov and CRTC so they have been forced to raise rates. Typical monopoly $hitt in Canada.

Decisions go both ways but in general the TPIAs have done better at the CRTC than the "big guys" on the tariffs, and tariffs have been dropping over the last 10 or so years. The CRTC does now allow the big MSOs to require the TPIA traffic to be dropped locally instead of the large guys backhauling it to the main hubs on their backbone networks. So transit costs are now real instead of subsidized by the large MSOs.... As everyone uses more traffic there are many technical reasons why costs have also increased for everyone.

I totally don't buy "manipulation from the big guys pressuring the gov and CRTC so they have been forced to raise rates" yes it is all complex but that is not close to real world.

and

you can use another DNS
I actually suggest a DNS independent from your ISP

I like level 3 DNS
google DNS is fast, but nahh, ain't doing that

and

you can use another DNS
I actually suggest a DNS independent from your ISP

I like level 3 DNS
google DNS is fast, but nahh, ain't doing that

Do you know if Level 3 DNS supports DNS over HTTPS (DOH)? I personally mostly use Google (yup, they know everything about me, even what time of the day I'm going to a washroom), Cloudflare and Quad9. All of them support DOH and if you didn't enable it, do it right now. It's kind of a big deal for privacy..

Decisions go both ways but in general the TPIAs have done better at the CRTC than the "big guys" on the tariffs, and tariffs have been dropping over the last 10 or so years. The CRTC does now allow the big MSOs to require the TPIA traffic to be dropped locally instead of the large guys backhauling it to the main hubs on their backbone networks. So transit costs are now real instead of subsidized by the large MSOs.... As everyone uses more traffic there are many technical reasons why costs have also increased for everyone.

I totally don't buy "manipulation from the big guys pressuring the gov and CRTC so they have been forced to raise rates" yes it is all complex but that is not close to real world.
Yeah I know it's hard to know where the truth is, but as an interesting read here is a part of a email I received from Teksavvy as to why the rates are going to increase, I left out the paragraph with my personal info.

"In August 2019 the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) announced final rates that companies like TekSavvy are charged by the large telecom carriers. In some cases, those new rates were a reduction of more than 43%. TekSavvy took steps to pass on those savings on by reducing rates for the vast majority of our customers. We saw it as simply the right thing to do.

However, the large carriers petitioned Federal Cabinet to overturn the CRTC’s decision and impose higher rates. In their recent August 15, 2020 statement, the Federal Cabinet effectively directed the CRTC to increase these wholesale rates. Ultimately, in announcing its verdict on the petitions, Cabinet caved to pressure from the large carriers, who threatened to hold back investments in rural Canada unless they were protected from competition. The decision is a reversal from Cabinet’s previous direction that the CRTC place affordability, competition and consumer interests at the forefront.

After 5 years of cost uncertainty, inflated interim rates, and anti-competitive behaviour by the large carriers, TekSavvy is left with no choice but to interpret this announcement as an expectation from the government that retail prices should be raised, specifically to protect Incumbent investments. We are therefore making a difficult decision in order to continue providing you with the service you have come to expect.
"

Now at my end, I did see a reduction of rates a while back, and now they plan to increase my plan $10. Not complaining but just stating what is occurring.

Back
Top Bottom