Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 182 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

Dune: It was sort of okay. Much better than the 80s movie, but still a fantasy for kids. This is the first of a three-part series I understand. It's more like a Red Sonia formula with much better effects. String-bean hero kid taking on 'roid-o-muscular dudes is hilarious Saturday matinee fare.

No Time to Die: Hollywood bleeders got to the 007 script, making the same disastrous screw up that happened in 1969 with On Her Majesty's Secret Service box office flop. They even use the same music, cheap buggers. James Bond, family man, Dad, played by a too old to be believable Daniel Craig, with a wife who could be his granddaughter. The movie is all-wet, but still action packed. Motorcycle enthusiasts will be in stitches at the stunts. To their credit they do bring back the Ian Flemingesque creepy goons that add humour to the Bond formula. Of course, Hollywood script writers have to have tragic villains these days, with bad childhoods and redeeming features, sort of like the disasterpiece that was Joker. Watch this movie for the stunts and the action.
No Time to Die

Some partial spoilers.

Just watched it. Didn’t mind it. It was missing “something” though. Craig brought an edge to Bond that I liked but it didn’t seem to be here in this one. This was a film that seemed wrapped around the story of Bond as Craig, leaving. One thing I always liked about the Bond films were the locations and even though this one hopscotched around the globe a bit the locations were a bit forgettable to me save for the opening scenes. Another thing that bugged me was the way it was filmed too. The cinematic/audio trick with an explosion deafening Bond at the start was neat with the music change and all….but then they did it again later and it seemed a bit naff, like the director had found a neat trick and wanted to keep doing it. The massive set for the final scenes seemed a bit wasted, I thought they could have done so much more with that. The “farm” was interesting but they didn’t go anywhere with it.

Hard to fathom how they are going to bring the next Bond in as this one severed all ties to the character. Not that I’m a cinematic genius or anything but I would have introduced the new Bond somehow at the end of the film as a “to be continued” feature and I don’t know that the ending they had for Craig was the right one. Right now I have a horrible feeling they might “woke“ this one a bit somehow.

Old Henry: An old farmer, his wife 10 years gone, lives a hard life on an Oklahoma farm raising a son and keeping to himself. A train robber drifts onto his land an inch from dead so he takes him home and nurses him back to health, horse, loot and all. Turns out this robber ripped off a couple of other train robbers and they come looking for him. Every baddie is disguised as a law-man in this movie. The ghost of old William Bonny is resurrected (seems they're getting short of western legacy villains in Hollywood) as thereafter scores die in quick-draw gunfights and shootouts. The actors and directing make this movie, plot is hopeless fantasy. Fun entertainment.

Red Notice wasn't that bad, or great either, just simple predictable fun, saw that twist a mile away. Ryan had a few good ones. Also one of the few movies Gal Gadot was actually decent, not some dear in the headlights.

Comeback Trail.
De Niro,Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones.
Light entertainment.

Put Avatar into my old Blu ray player tonite. There was a huge thread years ago when it was released. Can't find it.

"The Alpinist" available on Canadian Prime now.
Must see IMO. Canadian connection. The survival rate of the high level solo alpinists is about 50% and this is an insight in that world of crazies. Some amazing footage and a few cool technical sequences.

Just finished it. Amazing. Thanks for the recommendation.

Red Notice wasn't that bad, or great either, just simple predictable fun, saw that twist a mile away. Ryan had a few good ones. Also one of the few movies Gal Gadot was actually decent, not some dear in the headlights.

Saw this the other day. Reynolds’s schtick started to get a bit annoying after a bit and I don’t really care for Gadot..except she does have legs that seem to be of infinite length, which I can tolerate. I like Johnson for some reason. He’s a natural comic and actually has some decent talent.

The Babysitters: Whew, where to begin with this movie? You would almost think this was directed by Jefferey Epstein. A hormonally driven teen gets into a relationship with a middle aged married man whose kids she is babysitting. He overpays her out of a kind of guilt. She likes the money and continues doing it, then she gets her high school girlfriends into it with other families, and basically ends up running a prostitution ring. It gets complicated from there.

Not sure, but the Hollywood "you shouldn't be doing this" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) factor towards young girls here is disturbing. I do remember something like this going on at a Montreal high school in the 1970s and it resulted in some arrests. In this age of 'OnlyFans' and internet Sugardaddy dating I suppose this film shouldn't be troubling. But it is. It's on Amazon Prime this month. Worth watching.

Found "From Dusk Till Dawn" on Prime. Any good?

Salma Hayek ;)(y)
That was nice. Salma Hayek is "nice" too.
She does agood job of a John Lennon song in "Across the Universe". Movie with a great cast. Joe Cocker, Bono, Jude Law etc etc.

I'll watch it again tonite. Never was a big fan of Fab4 music in the 60s. But the music in this movie was REALLY well done.

No Time To Die - Almost three hours and barely anything happens at all. I love bond movies, almost all of them, have zero desire to rewatch this though. Just seems like a vehicle for Daniel Craig to completely destroy any possibility of playing Bond again.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - Another dud. No humour, no dialogue, poor action, and a plot that never gets explained. Really liked the first, this was bad. At least it had the decency to only be 90 minutes long.

No Time to Die- hated , hated the ending. Never ending supply of Astin Martens across the decades was fun to watch. Good motorcycle scenes, some cool effects but really missed the mark as a Bond film in my mind.
Hot girl, politics, super villain, cool cars and gadgets , yes.

Pandering to the 'correct' with all that encompassed in this film , well that was never Bond.

Back
Top Bottom