Questions To Harley Riders | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Questions To Harley Riders

Arnold that trained pig from the old Green Acres sitcom?? That must be weird

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Harley ever.
Harley-Davidson-XR-750-1600x1067.jpg

Is that rear swingarm made out of angle iron?

when was the last time you heard a Harley sound like that!
... is possible the whole bike was angle iron at one time

I agree with the part about appliance and trophies. I don't agree that traditional MC ownership was about being a rebel.

MC owners have motorcycles out of practicality, economic necessity or as a lux item -- been that way for more than 75 years. Hollywood dabbled with the 'rebel' image, but mostly it romanticized the 'manliness;' of motorcycles. Brando, Gable, Dylan, Eastwood, Dean, McQueen on mostly Triumphs and a few HDs. That still goes on today, Cruze, Clooney, Pitt, Pink, Beckham, Gosling, Reeves...
Elvis..

that one even looks loud
... the exhaust not the bike, uh the bike looks fine

It’s too bad that the XR1200 is so rare, not enough of the Harley community liked them and they didn’t sell very well in North America. Personally I love the one I have. Compared to a “standard” sportster there are many, many differences. All of the mods the previous poster suggested by mentioning a Stortz based machine have been made. Inverted forks, aluminium swing arm, rear set foot pegs, proper wheel sizes so you can use actual sport bike tires, has great ground clearance and lean angles. The motor shares almost no parts with a typical sportster, different pistons, rods,lighter crank, totally different heads (oil cooled) , other than the exhaust sound, it is more like riding any other bike but a Harley. Having said all that I wouldn’t head out to Vancouver on it, but I don’t have to, I have another bike for that.

It’s too bad that the XR1200 is so rare, not enough of the Harley community liked them and they didn’t sell very well in North America. Personally I love the one I have. Compared to a “standard” sportster there are many, many differences. All of the mods the previous poster suggested by mentioning a Stortz based machine have been made. Inverted forks, aluminium swing arm, rear set foot pegs, proper wheel sizes so you can use actual sport bike tires, has great ground clearance and lean angles. The motor shares almost no parts with a typical sportster, different pistons, rods,lighter crank, totally different heads (oil cooled) , other than the exhaust sound, it is more like riding any other bike but a Harley. Having said all that I wouldn’t head out to Vancouver on it, but I don’t have to, I have another bike for that.

I think the problem is that the Harley's are 40% more expensive than cheaper foreign brands. Not too many people understood the XR1200, and reviewers panned it like they do to all Harleys. Harley's only sport is flat track racing, which is not really endearing to the average kid who wants to race on paved, twisty country roads, and who wants to do it cheaply. I love the XR, but I think HD should have gone with a lighter, more versatile machine.

I test rode the XR1200. Loved the look but found it underwhelming for a few reasons. It was a $15K, 600 lb semi-sportbike with 80 HP. Who was this marketed to? The old guard hated it, and younger riders found better alternatives.

I think the problem is that the Harley's are 40% more expensive than cheaper foreign brands. Not too many people understood the XR1200, and reviewers panned it like they do to all Harleys. Harley's only sport is flat track racing, which is not really endearing to the average kid who wants to race on paved, twisty country roads, and who wants to do it cheaply. I love the XR, but I think HD should have gone with a lighter, more versatile machine.
Sadly HD is falling fallen behind in flat track racing. Indian dominates, Yamaha and Kawasaki are as competitive as HD these days.

Indian spent their way to the front, and hired top talent to ride. Its not wrong , that is racing. HD's deal in flat track was nobody paid much attention for 30 yrs, then the marketing guys saw an opportunity.

For anybody that hasn't had the chance to go watch flat track, its pretty accessible in Ontario, tickets are super cheap and you can see the whole track. Its a great day out.

You test rode the baby Harley, and you're going to judge based on that?

Go try a streetglide if the shaking bothers you. Sportster an entry level cruiser. cruiser HP varies way differently than same displacement sportbikes.

The sporty crowd is a cult. its not meant for long distance highway runs, so they'll vibrate and scream at those speeds and not meant to be comfy either.

You test rode the baby Harley, and you're going to judge based on that?

Go try a streetglide if the shaking bothers you. Sportster an entry level cruiser. cruiser HP varies way differently than same displacement sportbikes.

The sporty crowd is a cult. its not meant for long distance highway runs, so they'll vibrate and scream at those speeds and not meant to be comfy either.
So you need nearly 30k motorcycle to be a "real" HD? LOL. A classic Harley defense.

Been thinking about cruisers as well lately, my thoughts on the subject are:
Harleys are overpriced.
if the there is no discernible difference between a metric cruiser and a harley in terms of the performance, feel, functionality, and the only thing different about the two is marketing speak and a brand, id go metric every time.

So you need nearly 30k motorcycle to be a "real" HD? LOL. A classic Harley defense.

Nope. a Harley is a Harley - but you're generalizing all Harleys across the board based on the smallest one. Decide what you're trying to argue here. Your thread is to Harley riders. Rename it so you can belittle the correct owners.

Same as saying to all the Yamaha riders, why is the C3 so slow.

I've owned a sportster in my time. It was fun as hell for the riding and customizing I did. I didn't expect it to be more than it was.

Back
Top Bottom