Questions To Harley Riders | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Questions To Harley Riders

In 2005 I tried a new Roadglide at the Peterborough demo ride...sexy bike....expensive bike...the 1980 Yammy 650 cruiser I had in 1988 had far better brakes, suspension, handling and speed....It must be all about the tats and assless chaps...

Captain America rides a Harley Davidson. ??

? it's the one made in India, but you're not suppose to notice.

I ask the same question when I see a super bike riding our streets. No logical reason to ride one apart from posing points. At least the Harley is semi comfortable.

Was going to say the same thing.

I'm not ashamed that when I don my Arai & Icon leathers and ride my gaudy, eye-catching Italian mistress at 5% of its capability on the street that, in addition to stunning performance and sound -- even at 5% -- I relish the lingering gazes, compliments at work, at stop lights and gas stations & double-takes by other riders that suggest to me, even on some level and even at 52yo, I can still be "cool." I'm not blind to this. Some part of me craves the validation I get when riding it :)

I have no doubt people buy Harleys thinking the same thing, especially the ones that delve deep into the realm with the clothes, the tats and the beards. I think part of the Harley experience is a cliquey sense of superiority over riders of other makes. I get riding what you think is cool; I don't really get being so aloof about it: Why so serious?

The HD crowd might not get such a bad rap were it not for the straight pipes ********.
Don't care if they wanna play 1% with the dress but when they are just plain juvenile deliquents with noise not caring a wit about the impact on others??? ....they can go **** themselves.

Fantic ! Good heavens no ! you ever try to kick start one of those things? that would be a serious downgrade even without the sidehack.
Fail (n)
Sorry -- I wasn't picking the bike, just the category. The side car is for you, let someone else to the kicking and chauffeuring.

?it's the one made in India, but you're not suppose to notice.
Hydraglide made in India? Naw.

Just wanted to ask what's the deal? Why do you like them?

I just test rode HD Forty-Eight. it was my first time ever on a HD and wonder why would anyone want this?

The bike was brand new and it was shaking like it has Parkinson's, It had a 8L gas tank needs a fillup after 120km. 1200cc that make only 62hp? 5speed in 2019? Single front rotor with 550lbs motorcycle? No rear suspension travel, and you can't make any tight turns because it only has 27deg. lean angle clearance. It was loud and embarrassing when you consider how slow it was. And they are asking $13k and ABS was optional.

I was wondering if I missed something. I've seen more refinements from $5~6k motorcycles.

Well the answer is right here.

Look I will bash the “pirates” etc. As much as the next guy, however over the years I have owned various Harley’s as well as all manner of sport bikes. There is nothing particularly evil about any of them. I currently own one of the only attempts by Harley to build a sport bike, a XR1200 , all in all a pretty fun bike. Keeps up with the Ducatis I ride with mostly, except for the really crazy extreme examples,(if ridden by old guys). Anyway the point is , they do have the best paint and chrome in the business, and a great dealer network. However they are not for everyone, and they are sort of contrary to the “disposable “ way we view machines in general these days. And in summary, I would ride my Fjr to Vancouver tomorrow, but not my Xr , but it was never designed to do that, bu I’ll meet you at the Forks and ride like my version of Rossi on Xr as well.

Look I will bash the “pirates” etc. As much as the next guy, however over the years I have owned various Harley’s as well as all manner of sport bikes. There is nothing particularly evil about any of them. I currently own one of the only attempts by Harley to build a sport bike, a XR1200 , all in all a pretty fun bike. Keeps up with the Ducatis I ride with mostly, except for the really crazy extreme examples,(if ridden by old guys). Anyway the point is , they do have the best paint and chrome in the business, and a great dealer network. However they are not for everyone, and they are sort of contrary to the “disposable “ way we view machines in general these days. And in summary, I would ride my Fjr to Vancouver tomorrow, but not my Xr , but it was never designed to do that, bu I’ll meet you at the Forks and ride like my version of Rossi on Xr as well.
That bike intrigues me. I got my MC licence on my 16th birthday, the following spring I was billeted in Detroit with a Ford Exec. He had 2 1977 XLCRs in his garage --both were 0 miles new -- he said HD gave them to him. I had been riding big dirt stuff till then but never anything on the road. I was in awe of these bikes, after ogling them for a while he let me take one up and down the estate road. After recognizing I could ride, he asked me to go for a run with him (he could not ride!) We did a 1 hour loop, probably 50 miles on the bikes. I have owned 30+ bikes, that was the only time I rode a Harley -- the feeling cannot be explained, I don't know why there isn't a HD in my garage today.

Was going to say the same thing.

I'm not ashamed that when I don my Arai & Icon leathers and ride my gaudy, eye-catching Italian mistress at 5% of its capability on the street that, in addition to stunning performance and sound -- even at 5% -- I relish the lingering gazes, compliments at work, at stop lights and gas stations & double-takes by other riders that suggest to me, even on some level and even at 52yo, I can still be "cool." I'm not blind to this. Some part of me craves the validation I get when riding it :)

I have no doubt people buy Harleys thinking the same thing, especially the ones that delve deep into the realm with the clothes, the tats and the beards. I think part of the Harley experience is a cliquey sense of superiority over riders of other makes. I get riding what you think is cool; I don't really get being so aloof about it: Why so serious?
Personally I don't give a flying *&%$ what anybody thinks of my bikes and cars -- those days are behind me. I ride for fun, that might be tucked in at 80KMH heading to work on my 35 year old Suzi 125, trying to stay brave and hold on at 130 on my 50 year old Triumph, or relying on my GPS to tell me how fast my Busa pass was because all my courage was focused on the road and my white knuckles.

Bikes are for my personal riding pleasure. If you like my ride, great, I'm happy to talk about it. If you need to tell me it's lame or you think I have better options -- get lost.

Personally I don't give a flying *&%$ what anybody thinks of my bikes and cars -- those days are behind me.

Pretty much the same page I'm on.

My take on HD or any make for that matter is, the more the merrier. Variety is the spice of life.

What appeals to me, doesn’t need to appeal to you. Makes for interesting conversation and contrasting opinion.

Would you rather everyone thinks and talks the same way as yourself? Life would be boring. At least IMO.

Even within the HD crowd, I don’t fit in. I’m younger than most of the retirees that are spending their hard earned pensions and most have the ability to spend days or even weeks on the road with their spouse etc.

Not an advocate for straight pipes of any sort but, I do enjoy a throaty note. And many of my friends are the same. They really prefer less noise from the pipes because they are riding them for hours with half or 3/4 helmets and would rather listen to their tunes.

I’ve found them to be very reliable. I think CAA gets calls on HD and BMW riders because there is a lot of them on the road. AND they are ridden.

Sure, there are garage queens. But I know many HD riders that will ride 250,000 Kms before looking at a replacement bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

?it's the one made in India, but you're not suppose to notice.
But..."it's not a motorcycle,it's a chopper baby".

Back
Top Bottom