Questions To Harley Riders | GTAMotorcycle.com

Questions To Harley Riders

jemlinus

Just wanted to ask what's the deal? Why do you like them?

I just test rode HD Forty-Eight. it was my first time ever on a HD and wonder why would anyone want this?

The bike was brand new and it was shaking like it has Parkinson's, It had a 8L gas tank needs a fillup after 120km. 1200cc that make only 62hp? 5speed in 2019? Single front rotor with 550lbs motorcycle? No rear suspension travel, and you can't make any tight turns because it only has 27deg. lean angle clearance. It was loud and embarrassing when you consider how slow it was. And they are asking $13k and ABS was optional.

I was wondering if I missed something. I've seen more refinements from $5~6k motorcycles.

They’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but many find the primitive, agricultural nature of the Sportsters quite appealing. They’ve been popular since the late ‘50’s, virtually unchanged yet they’re still a big seller. And you can customize the deficiencies right out of them. Ya, it’s expensive, but lots of people do it.

I could write pages on why I love my Dyna Superglide. I’ve had over 20 bikes, mostly Japanese, and the Dyna was my first big Harley; it really does everything I want, in comfort and style. And its been no less reliable than any other bike. Regular maintenance, and it goes.

Take a Tour Glide Ultra for a nice long ride out on the highway; you’ll understand.

Iv ridden a bunch, but only really loved the low rider s(dyna)
Other ones were nothing special but that low rider was incredible, if I had the cash would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Don't ya know? It's a rEeaaAAAllLLLlllL bikE :LOL:
They do make some nice bikes though but they are pretty costly like that new fdxr but it's nearly 27 grand and that's before you put the proper mods to make it a "Harley"

^ H-D does not have an assembly plant in Mexico. Guess again.

As to the original poster's questions, you are far from alone. I tried one once, thought it was rubbish, and never looked back. Cruisers in general, and Harleys in particular, don't do what I want a motorcycle to do. That's not to say they're good for nothing, they're just not good for me.

i'll ride anything with wheels, folks made fun of my exotics (when Italian was exotic) so I get being different. If you like it, ride it.

Iv ridden a bunch, but only really loved the low rider s(dyna)
Other ones were nothing special but that low rider was incredible, if I had the cash would have bought it in a heartbeat.
Good luck now, since they are discontinued everyone's holding onto them. Friend had to go shopping in the US for months before he found one.

Is just a fad, it will end once we are all riding battery operated vehicles that can spontaneously combust.

Meh, as much as I'll often crack HD jokes, ultimately, I agree with the "ride whatever floats your boat" mantra. I have a friend who has an UltraClassic and I'd be lying if I said I didn't envy some of the creature comforts sometimes. Who knows, I might own one some day...or I might own a equivalent like the Star Venture, who knows - I really like the look of them as well.

What irks me is the attitude of some HD riders. If you ride anything else, you're not a "real" rider. You show up on your "Jap crap" and they scowl at you like you're a mongoloid. They sit in their own little gaggle at gatherings and refuse to socialize with anyone who's not covered head to toe in rolling billboard HD gear indicating they ride one.

The funny part is that often these same types of owners are the ones who ride a few thousands KM a year and consider themselves "big time" riders.

And before anyone complains...I know this is only a segment of the HD crowd, but compared to the rest of the rider populous, we all know it's a thing, and it effects HD riders way more than any other owner group. Sorry if the truth hurts.

I think the biggest stumbling block for me is the price of HD's compared to the alternatives, although when you get into the higher brackets (Star Venture vs the Ultra for example) the gap closes.

Is just a fad, it will end once we are all riding battery operated vehicles that can spontaneously combust.
I thought mine was battery powered "Electra Glide" but for some reason I still need to fill er up! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Find what works for you and enjoy the ride!

I just test rode HD Forty-Eight. it was my first time ever on a HD and wonder why would anyone want this?

The bike was brand new and it was shaking like it has Parkinson's, It had a 8L gas tank needs a fillup after 120km. 1200cc that make only 62hp? 5speed in 2019? Single front rotor with 550lbs motorcycle? No rear suspension travel, and you can't make any tight turns because it only has 27deg. lean angle clearance. It was loud and embarrassing when you consider how slow it was. And they are asking $13k and ABS was optional..

This is a bike that's an entry level HD and, I think, is aimed at riders who like the price, the look, love the brand and are planning to do minimal if any long distance riding. It will probably spend a lot of time parked in front of the local Timmies and other HD gathering places where people will talk about bikes and their latest add on accessories. If people are happy doing this then who really cares, I know I don't.

If I was going to buy a cruiser I would buy a Harley. First off they have an incredible dealer network that none come close to in N. America. I have stopped in at a few on my travels and they are always the nicest people and seem to actually love riding. The people I have met have been eager to talk and were interested in my trip all while having pulled up on a BMW. Of course this is just my own experience. Going into a BMW dealer riding a BMW I find it not quite the same. Some can be friendly but other places they do not seem to want to give me the time of day.

If the Harley was shaking while moving there is something mechanically wrong with it. They do shake while idling but that quickly disappears as you start moving. I completely agree with the small gas tank My aunt had a Sportster and that was her range. Made a weekend trip a bit frustrating stopping for gas every 120 km when I had a range of 450+. They are certainly not for everyone, thankfully there is choice out there. Harley is a premium brand, it might not be worth it to you but it is to others. Just like Apple computers, some are ok with the premium price tag others go for a PC that is cheaper and probably faster.

... If the Harley was shaking while moving there is something mechanically wrong with it. They do shake while idling but that quickly disappears as you start moving. ...
Is this normal or a good example of one that has something mechanically wrong with it?

I asked an experienced CAA driver which bikes he most often tows.Harley and BMW are by far the most often needing a lift.Yamaha and Honda the least.This was when my wing failed me a few years ago.I had to call them again a year later and the answer was the same from a different driver.

Is this normal or a good example of one that has something mechanically wrong with it?
That's a V-Rod. That's about as far from a Harley as they have ever made. Bad camera mounting on any bike will make for a miserable viewing experience. My guess is that camera was on an arm.

I asked an experienced CAA driver which bikes he most often tows.Harley and BMW are by far the most often needing a lift.Yamaha and Honda the least.This was when my wing failed me a few years ago.I had to call them again a year later and the answer was the same from a different driver.

Pointless trivia. Obviously BMW and HD owners have CAA coverage while most Yamaha and Honda riders do not.

Back
Top Bottom