QC to tax antivaxxers | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

QC to tax antivaxxers

A good article on the psychology behind vaccine hesitancy:

A study found that vaccine hesitancy is linked to personalities that are more oriented towards immediate gratification vs delayed gratification.

Similar to the study that looked at kids behaviour when asked, "Would you like one piece of candy right now? Or if you wait an hour, I'll give you two pieces of candy", and linked that to future behaviour when it came to impulse buying vs saving/investing.

They are using the results of the study to try to change the messaging around vaccination to emphasize near-term gains and benefits of vaccination, in order to appeal to the immediate gratification crowd.
I think that is a good strategy. A few folks I know that were 'hesitant' got inspired when they saw an immediate opportunity to participate in the opening of things last fall 'going to a bar tonight' was inspiring to them, vs holding off till the bars go wide open.

A study found that vaccine hesitancy is linked to personalities that are more oriented towards immediate gratification vs delayed gratification.

Similar to the study that looked at kids behaviour when asked, "Would you like one piece of candy right now? Or if you wait an hour, I'll give you two pieces of candy", and linked that to future behaviour when it came to impulse buying vs saving/investing.

They are using the results of the study to try to change the messaging around vaccination to emphasize near-term gains and benefits of vaccination, in order to appeal to the immediate gratification crowd.
The one anti vaxxer I know fairly well has always been an opportunist. To him a quick scam beats a long term plan. He usually loses.

Another blow to the ladies across the street. The mother's full time personal care worker tested positive. So far the mother with Alzheimer's and the daughter are OK but the daughter's duties are increased and they're isolating so no one can help. The PCW's hubby is an Uber driver.

Taxi vs. Uber, the point goes to Uber for tracking if needed. Can Uber demand a QR Vaxport?

There is also a correlation with narcissism or at least being self centred. Anti-vaxxer crowd are more concerned with their freedumbs, their low likelihood of getting really sick or worse from COVID, their..... the list goes on.

Vaccination is as much about the greater good, reducing variants, protecting others by not transmitting the disease, reducing hospital loads, etc..... as it is about protecting yourself, all falling on deaf ears.

Another blow to the ladies across the street. The mother's full time personal care worker tested positive. So far the mother with Alzheimer's and the daughter are OK but the daughter's duties are increased and they're isolating so no one can help. The PCW's hubby is an Uber driver.

Taxi vs. Uber, the point goes to Uber for tracking if needed. Can Uber demand a QR Vaxport?
They could. But they won't. Essential service so you don't need to be vaccinated to use it.

No different than TTC, GO, Taxi, or any other transportation service.

I don't get that article/study. I mean, someone being an anti-vaxxer sounds like the worst kind of instant gratification ever. You become a pariah and can't do anything until X restrictions become lifted.
or
You get vaxxed and you can do whatever you want right away...well after 2 weeks.

Either way it's good that they address these types of issues as there will never be 100% compliance. So understanding that minority might help approach them better in the future, for the next pandemic.

I don't get that article/study. I mean, someone being an anti-vaxxer sounds like the worst kind of instant gratification ever. You become a pariah and can't do anything until X restrictions become lifted.
or
You get vaxxed and you can do whatever you want right away...well after 2 weeks.

Either way it's good that they address these types of issues as there will never be 100% compliance. So understanding that minority might help approach them better in the future, for the next pandemic.
Is there anything a vaccinated person can do now...that an unvaccinated can't? Outside of air / rail travel as that's for the vaccinated only as far as I recall.

Everything's locked down for both for the time being. So even those that got vaccinated 'to get on with life' are in the same stage as the unvaccinated.

That's what's frustrating me. Open it up for the vaccinated and let the unvaccinated live with their choice and the consequences of such choice.

Is there anything a vaccinated person can do now...that an unvaccinated can't? Outside of air / rail travel as that's for the vaccinated only as far as I recall.

Everything's locked down for both for the time being. So even those that got vaccinated 'to get on with life' are in the same stage as the unvaccinated.

That's what's frustrating me. Open it up for the vaccinated and let the unvaccinated live with their choice and the consequences of such choice.
That would make more sense to me as well. But sadly with omicron the spread is undeniable and they don't want to induce the spread. Because even though it might be (random numbers) 50 per 100k in hospital for unvaxxed and 5 per 100k in hospital for vaxxed, they still don't want that 5 per 100k taking up bed if it can be avoided.

But when we open back up... they'll still be kept away from restaurants, gyms and sports, etc
Now i wonder when they'll put a deadline on 2 shots being deemed insufficient.

That would make more sense to me as well. But sadly with omicron the spread is undeniable and they don't want to induce the spread. Because even though it might be (random numbers) 50 per 100k in hospital for unvaxxed and 5 per 100k in hospital for vaxxed, they still don't want that 5 per 100k taking up bed if it can be avoided.

But when we open back up... they'll still be kept away from restaurants, gyms and sports, etc
They're already allowing immunocompromised to get a 4th shot...how many more do we do before we're good to go?

World is opening up, we're not. As I've said before, at some point in time there will be a decision to be made. Or do we go on this merry go around for eternity?

They can't reasonably do that until they start to have lots of empty appointments. If you try to book today, you are still weeks out from a shot in most health units.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for moving the goal posts but if they do it, I don't think it can be for at least a month (maybe longer).

Beyond two it may come down to the time from your last shot instead of the number of shots. The boosters are about topping up more than anything else at the moment.

As for the article and the instant gratification and general selfishness of the anit-vaxxer crowd... the measures like the ability to go to a restaurant or bar are about spread but also about appealing to their selfish behaviour. Now, in theory, they have to decide A or B.... problem in Ontario the vaxxine passport was so poorly done it had no impact on them, so they stayed with A. In Quebec the measure had more teeth and more start to select B with each one.... tax is just another step.

They're already allowing immunocompromised to get a 4th shot...how many more do we do before we're good to go?

World is opening up, we're not. As I've said before, at some point in time there will be a decision to be made. Or do we go on this merry go around for eternity?
Realistically there will always be a next variant due to the world being what it is and travel being part of it.
Between RSV, influenza strains, covid19 strains... we'll definitely keep having our plate full. Just gotta see what kind of appetite the population can deal with (especially the healthcare part of the population)

My 1998 Goldwing was my pride and joy and I never wanted anything to happen to it. I also wanted to see Mount Rushmore. I suppose I could have bought a tow vehicle with an enclosed trailer and made the trip with my Wing instead of on my Wing.

I had to accept that my baby would be in unprotected parking spots while I slept, instead of under a blanket in my locked garage. If I didn't take the risk I would never have seen Rushmore, countless other fascinating places, meeting many interesting people.

Everyone has to determine their own risk level and that is complex. It includes mental attitudes, comorbidity, finances, goals in life, responsibilities etc. One also has to accept the decisions of the masses or become a hermit or partial hermit. I could accept never eating inside a restaurant again. Going into a grocery store is a different situation. Everyone has different needs and abilities, social and physical.

There is safety in living in a cave but the scenery sucks. The sun may bleach you but in a cave you go moldy.

Don't see enough masks? Avoid Florida. See too many guns? Avoid Texas. Take your choice, no alternates or substitutions.

My opinion is that this will never 100% go away. Even if it did we still have to deal with the aftermath of the bungled politics, economics and attitudes. Covid's biggest legacy will be the uncovering of the true feelings and attitudes of those we had once trusted.

Is there anything a vaccinated person can do now...that an unvaccinated can't? Outside of air / rail travel as that's for the vaccinated only as far as I recall....
Unvaxed cannot at this time:
- enter many workplaces including any federal gov't job, provincial health or long term care facility
- access non-essential businesses, including gyms, indoor restaurants, movie theatres, and concert halls
- purchase beer or weed in Quebec
- travel to Australia to play tennis
- create a credible argument against vaccination unless it's based on Facebook science or a conspiracy theory
- stand on my lawn

Most antivaxxers I know are living life as is. The vaccine certificates are trivial to fake and no one checks too closely. I wonder if the QR code will change that but I doubt it.

Most antivaxxers I know are living life as is. The vaccine certificates are trivial to fake and no one checks too closely. I wonder if the QR code will change that but I doubt it.
I have still only had the QR code scanned once. If it was fake, odds are very good you could conduct life as you wanted with almost no repercussions.

Unvaxed cannot at this time:
- enter many workplaces including any federal gov't job, provincial health or long term care facility
- access non-essential businesses, including gyms, indoor restaurants, movie theatres, and concert halls
- purchase beer or weed in Quebec
- travel to Australia to play tennis
- create a credible argument against vaccination unless it's based on Facebook science or a conspiracy theory
- stand on my lawn
Agreed...but from your list only one item is valid in Ontario, in bold. The second item no one can do as it's locked down still (unless something's changed in the last couple of days. I think the 15th or 17th was the supposed opening up from the latest lockdown)?

I have still only had the QR code scanned once. If it was fake, odds are very good you could conduct life as you wanted with almost no repercussions.

Pretty much. We're also relying on businesses that have been starved of revenue to turn away potential customers...yeah, not gonna happen. Especially when enforcement is practically nil.

Agreed...but from your list only one item is valid in Ontario, in bold. The second item no one can do as it's locked down still (unless something's changed in the last couple of days. I think the 15th or 17th was the supposed opening up from the latest lockdown)?
There are gym exceptions that some are using. The shady hole is mental health facility, the legal hole is related to physio (something along the lines of fitness to address a long or short term injury). Gym stays open, you get a doctors note that you need access to a facility and bob's your uncle.

My opinion is that this will never 100% go away. Even if it did we still have to deal with the aftermath of the bungled politics, economics and attitudes. Covid's biggest legacy will be the uncovering of the true feelings and attitudes of those we had once trusted.
I think it will fade away slowly but always be lurking in the shadows. If this wave passes and we don't see another colossal mutant, there is a chance we can return to normalcy.

If not, I think the general population will say ****-it, what happens happens, and we lose a few extra would but get on a path to normalcy.

If we missed the mutation to the Big O, we might already be in the clear. Perhaps this less deadly / more contagious version will be a blessing in disguise by helping the herd get some immunity.

My biggest disappointment (and fear) it's we haven't yet learned how to properly deal with a dangerous pandemic. Public health and the feds move like sloths, 10% of the population remain hesitant, and gov'ts continue trying to smother impact under mountains of printed money.

Back
Top Bottom