QC to tax antivaxxers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

QC to tax antivaxxers

In times past being portly was a sign of prosperity as it implied money for food. The poor were scrawney. Now the poor often go for starch and can't afford health clubs, work long hours so even a walk for exercise is out.

Yep, similar to tanned skin as well.

Back in the olden days, having tanned skin meant you were a labourer since you were working out in the field underneath the blazing sun all the time, lighter skin meant you lived a life of leisure indoors.

Today, having a good tan means you're rich enough to afford a vacation in the sun. Pasty, pale skin means you sit all day in a cubicle under fluorescent lights working relentlessly for The Man.

Obviously this is a northern trope. In some places near the equator (like Thailand) you can easily get a tan just by walking out of your car into your office. There they still see pale skin as a sign of affluence and leisure. Grocery stores are always stocked with skin-whitening creams.

I'm sure they see westerners baking in the sun slathered in Crisco sun-tan lotion as being a bit loco.

Yep, similar to tanned skin as well.

Back in the olden days, having tanned skin meant you were a labourer since you were working out in the field underneath the blazing sun all the time, lighter skin meant you lived a life of leisure indoors.

Today, having a good tan means you're rich enough to afford a vacation in the sun. Pasty, pale skin means you sit all day in a cubicle under fluorescent lights working relentlessly for The Man.

Obviously this is a northern trope. In some places near the equator (like Thailand) you can easily get a tan just by walking out of your car into your office. There they still see pale skin as a sign of affluence and leisure. Grocery stores are always stocked with skin-whitening creams.

I'm sure they see westerners baking in the sun slathered in Crisco sun-tan lotion as being a bit loco.
Of course tans are no longer healthy but it's hard to ignore the outdoor look

All that Ford has to do is remove OHIP coverage for those who are unvaccinated. There are lots of things OHIP doesn't cover now so add unvaxxed people to that list. So if you go to the hospital with covid and you're not vaccinated, you pay the bill, not the people who got vaccinated. May also solve having cancer and other surgeries cancelled because of all the unvaxxed people taking up hospital beds. It's not sinking in that the unvaxxed are the problem. Maybe if we start seeing stories on the news about people having to sell their cars and homes to pay hospital bills it might start to open some eyes.

As i mentioned in another thread, you have a bunch of people losing their jobs over not being jabbed. So basically welfare (our tax money) is paying for that tax money?!? Since they dont qualify for EI.

Welfare isn't exactly that easy to get hooked up with. You can be forced to start selling assets to generate income before you'll become even close to eligible.

So all the crybabies who don't want to get their shot and get fired and then try to get on wellfare to continue to live their otherwise quite comfortable lifestyle are going to be some ****** when they hit up the welfare office and get told they need to sell their boat, jetskis, motorcycle, quad, and other toys. And only after they've got proof of having sold all of those and spent the proceeds can they discuss things again.

Who wants to bet they may have a sudden change of heart about their "convictions" at that point?

All that Ford has to do is remove OHIP coverage for those who are unvaccinated. There are lots of things OHIP doesn't cover now so add unvaxxed people to that list.

I doubt you'll ever see this, but I DO think that the odds are very high that private insurance companies will start requiring it, or otherwise charge a hefty premium for those who refuse. The same as how a smoker is going to pay way more for many coverages than a non smoker for many things.

I doubt you'll ever see this, but I DO think that the odds are very high that private insurance companies will start requiring it, or otherwise charge a hefty premium for those who refuse. The same as how a smoker is going to pay way more for many coverages than a non smoker for many things.
Only if there is a difference in risk to them. Assuming you catch covid, what does that cost an insurance company in ontario? Not much. Travel insurance could makes sense to have the premium but insurance companies have just lumped it into their risk assessment and divided across all users.

Only if there is a difference in risk to them

I'm thinking more along the lines of company benefits.

My benefits for example pay for a private hospital room if I end up there, pays my wages from day 1, pays all related hospital fees and required equipment over and above what OHIP covers (which some many be surprised at), and of course covers any and all prescription drugs that I might need at home during recovery. If I die, it covers a good part of my funeral expenses.

It would certainly be possible that benefit providers come to companies and say "We're not going to cover any of that anymore for the unvaccinated since 95% of it is avoidable through vaccination".

If it comes down to companies facing massive increases in benefit costs, or simply passing those additional costs on 100% to their unvaccinated employees, well, don't be surprised if many opt for Plan B. Vaccinated? We pay your benefits. Unvaccinated? We pay the basics, you pay the $250/month (or whatever) surcharge for your choice to remain unvaccinated.

As much as we all went to go back to before, sadly that's not really an option. Many people against vaccines have just checked out on reality and want to resume life as it was before. Sadly, just because you want to ignore a pandemic, that doesn't mean it goes away.
I guess the good news is we're down to less than 10% and virtually all of those folks will have had or will get COVID in the coming weeks. I can name 20 antivaxxers who I know personally, only one has escaped Omicron. 3 got very sick and are recovering, one has yet to turn the corner, she was put on a ventilator this week.

All that Ford has to do is remove OHIP coverage for those who are unvaccinated. There are lots of things OHIP doesn't cover now so add unvaxxed people to that list. So if you go to the hospital with covid and you're not vaccinated, you pay the bill, not the people who got vaccinated.
The hypocrisy on a motorcycle forum of all places is unparalleled. People chosing what they want in their body that might send them to a hospital is no different than the vehicle you CHOOSE to ride that is something like 38x more likely to have you in hospital than a car. Three days ago the vaccinated made up 75% of covid hospitalizations (2100) whereas the unvaccinated made up 25% (700). Unvaccinated make up about 10% of the population so they do disproportionately end up in the hospital by about 2.5x. Motorcyclists end up there 38x more than drivers. So by your logic a motorcyclist that gets hit by a driver (unvaccinated do get covid from vaccinated) does not deserve or should pay for medical treatment themselves? Really?

Finally, obesity is a choice. And in 2016 34% of the population were overweight with a further 27% being obese. There is a very strong link between obesity and cancer/diabetes/cardiovascular disease. A person admitted to hospital for covid may on average spend 2 days there. There will certainly be people that spend a great deal more time there, but there's also a great deal that leave that day. Actually, I'll assume I'm wrong and say the average covid victim that gets hospitalized will be there for 2 weeks. How long does a person with cancer stay in a hospital? Or a person with diabetes or cardiovascular disease? I am so sick of the moral superiority self portrayed by people too #%=>ing lazy to even get out of their car to get their crap food. They got a pin prick two, maybe three times and climb up onto their high horse even though they haven't the self control to eat an apple and drink water. And when they do manage to crawl out of their car because they need to use the washroom, they're too lazy to pull a door open and instead push the handicapped button to open the door for them. Handicapped people that NEED to use that button would probably trade just about anything to not need to use the button, meanwhile the sloths basically choose to be handicapped.

So go ahead, tax the people that don't care about a vaccine for a disease that has at minimum a 99% survival rate, but leave the people that choose to be part of the 171000 out of 216000 deaths annually alone. Cancer, stroke, heart disease, and diabetes make up that 171000 (numbers were rounded) support for this can be found HERE.

The hypocrisy on a motorcycle forum of all places is unparalleled. People chosing what they want in their body that might send them to a hospital is no different than the vehicle you CHOOSE to ride that is something like 38x more likely to have you in hospital than a car. Three days ago the vaccinated made up 75% of covid hospitalizations (2100) whereas the unvaccinated made up 25% (700). Unvaccinated make up about 10% of the population so they do disproportionately end up in the hospital by about 2.5x. Motorcyclists end up there 38x more than drivers. So by your logic a motorcyclist that gets hit by a driver (unvaccinated do get covid from vaccinated) does not deserve or should pay for medical treatment themselves? Really?

Finally, obesity is a choice. And in 2016 34% of the population were overweight with a further 27% being obese. There is a very strong link between obesity and cancer/diabetes/cardiovascular disease. A person admitted to hospital for covid may on average spend 2 days there. There will certainly be people that spend a great deal more time there, but there's also a great deal that leave that day. Actually, I'll assume I'm wrong and say the average covid victim that gets hospitalized will be there for 2 weeks. How long does a person with cancer stay in a hospital? Or a person with diabetes or cardiovascular disease? I am so sick of the moral superiority self portrayed by people too #%=>ing lazy to even get out of their car to get their crap food. They got a pin prick two, maybe three times and climb up onto their high horse even though they haven't the self control to eat an apple and drink water. And when they do manage to crawl out of their car because they need to use the washroom, they're too lazy to pull a door open and instead push the handicapped button to open the door for them. Handicapped people that NEED to use that button would probably trade just about anything to not need to use the button, meanwhile the sloths basically choose to be handicapped.

So go ahead, tax the people that don't care about a vaccine for a disease that has at minimum a 99% survival rate, but leave the people that choose to be part of the 171000 out of 216000 deaths annually alone. Cancer, stroke, heart disease, and diabetes make up that 171000 (numbers were rounded) support for this can be found HERE.
Heard of eating disorders? It's not only for the thin.

You miss the point. When 10% of the population suddenly overwhelms the health care system, we have a problem.

If all the motorcyclists in Ontario decided to crash in the same month, your argument might have some relevance.

You miss the point. When 10% of the population suddenly overwhelms the health care system, we have a problem.

If all the motorcyclists in Ontario decided to crash in the same month, your argument might have some relevance.

As of today, 23% of available ICU beds are filled with COVID patients, and of that 23% only ~48% are unvaccinated. So the unvaccinated are creating an overhead of ~11%. Forget the unvaccinated, it's absolutely pathetic that our healthcare system crumbles after a modest 20-25% increase of ICU patients. Both the provincial and federal governments have had ample opportunity to see the writing on the wall as this was happening long before COVID: 1, 2, 3.

1642318981051.png

1642318999231.png

It's sad to see so many people here on board with such a tax -- it's not how our society works. We all collectively pay taxes into the system so that anyone can draw on it when they need to. I'm triple vaccinated and I think anti-vaxxers are reprehensible, but this tax is equally reprehensible. Fix the healthcare system by actually investing what it costs to run it.

Slim margins in the healthcare system is what happens when you repeatedly elect governments with a hack and slash approach to budgets.

And the answer is not US-style (lack of) healthcare.

This is a tough one, how do you distinguish between those who consume normally and those who over-indulge? Snack type and packaged convenience foods are already taxed with a few exceptions (breakfast cerial), raw foods are not. Sso I think they are already getting their tax piece from those preferring factory prepared foods.

Newfoundland might have a good idea, they announced a tax coming on sugary drinks -- $0.20/l starting sometime this year.

Sugary drinks, sugary foods, artificial fillers, palm and seed oil, wheat, … the list goes on for foods which cause long term severe health issues like diabetes, CVD, and obesity.

Education might be a better tool than taxing … what … maybe half a grocery store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Education is easy , for people that can be educated , and want to be, and open to learning. For many its mental health which is harder to work with.
I eat ice cream because I'm sad
I drink because Im lonely
I bing eat because I dont know how to stop
I want to loose 300lbs, but my friends bring me twinkies because they make me happy.

Education is easy , for people that can be educated , and want to be, and open to learning. For many its mental health which is harder to work with.
I eat ice cream because I'm sad
I drink because Im lonely
I bing eat because I dont know how to stop
I want to loose 300lbs, but my friends bring me twinkies because they make me happy.

You’re spot on. The mind can work for you and against you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cancer-not infectious
stroke-not infectious
heart disease - not infectious
riding a motorcycle - not infectious (although admittedly it is but not in that way)

None of these can be passed on to a stranger from one to another.

To treat an infectious viral disease you need herd immunity (with elevated antibodies from a vaccine), not getting that puts the entire population at risk and can negate any steps forward we may make. Not getting vaccinated may be a personal choice but it’s also one that says “I don’t care about the rest of the people around me” and since taxes are supposed to go towards benefitting a society then those that don’t seem to give a crap about society can pay in other ways.

Tax them in one way or another and maybe they will start to educate themselves. This is the most stupid of stupid hills to die on.

The more I think about it, the more I think this was an idle threat. Government doesn't want to get flattened in court nor do they want to pay out the inevitable lawsuits that they lose for "forced" injection. Legault bluffed, many people got vaccinated, job done.

All they need to do is keep announcing that "we are still working on the details" and never actually do anything, while still leaving the threat open. If it got a bunch more people one dose (better than nothing), it succeeded.

Your argument is ridiculous. Obesity is not a choice with the possible exception of Sumo wrestlers.

How many obese people are saying "I love being fat and being shamed for it"?

The exception is fat boobs. "You've got small boobs. You'll never get a guy" or "No boobs, no fun." Doesn't anyone consider the size of the heart behind the left one?

A healthy diet is a big part of it but with both parents having to work to afford the million dollar starter home, convenience foods, high in fat and sugar, become the norm.

Some weight problems are hereditary. Some are cultural (Not pigging out is an insult to the cook)

We constantly fail to recognize the brain washing power of the ten huge companies that provide most of the food we buy.

They spend billions of dollars to engineer foods that encourage us to pig out.

Go to an antique market and find a Coke bottle from 60 years ago. That was a serving. They don't make them that small anymore. Research "Super-sizing" and the psychology behind it.

How much does our education system spend on counter-advertising, the understanding of the psychology, smoke and mirrors geared to make us want something. Advertising is meant to make us unhappy so we will go out and buy stuff thinking that will change our lives for the better. It's more harmful than drugs.

The key to eliminating obesity is education not dieting. Diets have a pathetic counter productive effect.

Education starts with a capable government that has the long term interests of Canada in mind.

I can forgive the bungling of the first six months of covid due to the speed of the infections. Since then it is been nothing but bungled misinformation and policies.

HTA 172 and its variants is proof that politicians haven't the brains to resolve a problem without resorting to gestapo tactics.

Radar fishing holes instead of investigating crimes is proof that politicians balance their budgets on the backs of victims.

Politicians will bend over backwards to get SNC Lavalin off the hook for alleged criminal offences. SNC Lavalin isn't in the same league as the really big companies that rule the economic system. There isn't a hope in hell that any government will go after the food conglomerates. If they banned sugar the average grocery store would shrink to the size of a 7-11.

Obese people are victims not perpetrators.

Back
Top Bottom