Occupations | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Occupations

I’m kinda curious what some of y’all do for work I love hearing about other peoples life styles. I think I found myself a solid job for my age I’m 19 and I work full time as a ground operations handler out of Billy bishop airport (if anyone is flying porter outta there shoot me a message and I’ll try to see you off on your journey)
Canuckles, I am a computer programmer, and that was the proper job for me,
because I like solving problems, even those far beyond my experience.

Several programs stand out as achievements that made a difference,
either to one client or to the economy of a small part of the world.

Long ago a major Canadian corporation contemplated opening a mine in Brazil,
and I was asked to simulate the way ore was dumped from trucks onto a plot of land,
then scooped up and fed to a furnace. You can imagine that the process of scooping
ore mixed up the contents of many MANY trucks, so I was asked to predict whether
this mixing process would result in a blend of ore content within the furnace's
tolerance ... not too much silica, at least this much nickel, not more than a given
limit on sulfur, and so on. I predicted success, and reviewers agreed, so a huge mine
was opened there, and many hundreds of workers were hired, and the company
prospered.

On a smaller scale, a maker of custom-sized sheet metal cabinets realized he was
using only 79% of the costly sheet metal he bought, so could I write a program
that would save him money by making better use of material.
Yes, and in this case I quote must Fred Flintstone: YABBA-DABBA-DO!!!
In simulations, and then in practice, my program enabled the client to use
an average f 93% of the material he purchased. Yeah, the reclamation truck still
came by and charged a fee to take away leftover metal, but two out of three of
those trucks never showed up at all!
Can you imagine how many times that program recouped the cost of its creation?

Of course, I wrote programs that printed premium notices and updated master
files on reels of computer tape, and many other mundane applications, because
the everyday working of computers is largely dull and repetitive, but I found
delight in adding excellence to these too.

Salos Dafee

Canuckles, I am a computer programmer, and that was the proper job for me,
because I like solving problems, even those far beyond my experience.

Several programs stand out as achievements that made a difference,
either to one client or to the economy of a small part of the world.

Long ago a major Canadian corporation contemplated opening a mine in Brazil,
and I was asked to simulate the way ore was dumped from trucks onto a plot of land,
then scooped up and fed to a furnace. You can imagine that the process of scooping
ore mixed up the contents of many MANY trucks, so I was asked to predict whether
this mixing process would result in a blend of ore content within the furnace's
tolerance ... not too much silica, at least this much nickel, not more than a given
limit on sulfur, and so on. I predicted success, and reviewers agreed, so a huge mine
was opened there, and many hundreds of workers were hired, and the company
prospered.

On a smaller scale, a maker of custom-sized sheet metal cabinets realized he was
using only 79% of the costly sheet metal he bought, so could I write a program
that would save him money by making better use of material.
Yes, and in this case I quote must Fred Flintstone: YABBA-DABBA-DO!!!
In simulations, and then in practice, my program enabled the client to use
an average f 93% of the material he purchased. Yeah, the reclamation truck still
came by and charged a fee to take away leftover metal, but two out of three of
those trucks never showed up at all!
Can you imagine how many times that program recouped the cost of its creation?

Of course, I wrote programs that printed premium notices and updated master
files on reels of computer tape, and many other mundane applications, because
the everyday working of computers is largely dull and repetitive, but I found
delight in adding excellence to these too.

Salos Dafee
That is honestly super cool seems like you’ve done some awesome stuff and you seem proud of what you’ve accomplished. I love seeing motivated people talk about what they love

I've been in Pneumatics and Vacuum Automation most of my working life. Started at 17 as a summer job in a warehouse.
Now over 30 years later and after working for many larger companies and managing 100's of people over that time.
I now work for a mid-sized company running their Canadian operations as the only employee in Canada I'm also back in the warehouse and have zero complaints. With all the knowledge and contacts I have gained, I am working towards starting a business in the near future.
@Scuba Steve wanna talk shop?

As for advise for young or new workers?

1. Everyone is replaceable.
2. Pick your battles & prepare to lose.
3. If you have a complaint, bring a solution.
4. Be consistent and positive.
5. If you are unhappy, put in the effort to change.

Last edited:
As per point 1
I tell employees, we all work together and all have our hand in the pail of water that is the company , pull your hand out of the pail and show me the hole in the water .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

As per point 1
I tell employees, we all work together and all have our hand in the pail of water that is the company , pull your hand out of the pail and show me the hole in the water .

It still amazes me how many people I've met that thought they were a "gift" to the company.
Reminds me of a old saying "Secrecy equals job security"

Some people in the trades are a gift to the company. For example to fit a 72" diameter head to a vessel can take some people 2-3 days. I could do it in half a day 4-8 hours depending on how out of round the vessel is. I was called at 8pm to go to toronto because the guys on site have been there all day and cant complete the task. By 2am it was done. Talk is cheap in the trades.
I think I’m a gift to my company because I do my job efficiently plus I love planes so you know I’m gonna love being at work

I think I’m a gift to my company because I do my job efficiently plus I love planes so you know I’m gonna love being at work
You sound like a great employee, but if you stopped showing up the show would go on.

Automation & Robotics Manager for tier 1 Automotive here.

I had a tech who thought he was a gift to the company. We pretty well begged him to return from a stint at another job in nuclear, everyone stroked his ego telling him how great he was, he was called in at all hours and would always step up to get us out of any jam, etc. Eventually it all went to his head and he had a big list of demands or else he walks. Well, I'm sorry but this multibillion dollar company is not going to fold because one exceptionally good tech. in one factory quit. Life went on, we had a few breakdowns that would have gone easier with him but at the end of the day we're all replaceable.

You sound like a great employee, but if you stopped showing up the show would go on.

Automation & Robotics Manager for tier 1 Automotive here.

I had a tech who thought he was a gift to the company. We pretty well begged him to return from a stint at another job in nuclear, everyone stroked his ego telling him how great he was, he was called in at all hours and would always step up to get us out of any jam, etc. Eventually it all went to his head and he had a big list of demands or else he walks. Well, I'm sorry but this multibillion dollar company is not going to fold because one exceptionally good tech. in one factory quit. Life went on, we had a few breakdowns that would have gone easier with him but at the end of the day we're all replaceable.
Oh of course part of the reason I think I’m a gift is I show up to my shifts. I don’t half ass my work days and I even show up on my days off occasionally to help out due to the airport being short staffed. I know I could be replaced at any point but I still show up and do my best

Oh of course part of the reason I think I’m a gift is I show up to my shifts. I don’t half ass my work days and I even show up on my days off occasionally to help out due to the airport being short staffed. I know I could be replaced at any point but I still show up and do my best
And if they replaced me the show would go on not just for them but for me. If they don’t feel I’m useful enough here I’ll find a place that makes better use of me

ehhhh.

maybe for smaller businesses, in a corp you're just employee #111-2a. we're all replaceable.
Hard to replace not irreplaceable. you are right, no one is irreplaceable.
I've left a few companies a very large hole to fill but they all still found a way after I've left.
Depends on the role largely as well.

But I've never heard of or met someone who did those following points and was let go or replaced.
When times get tough and it's time to trim the herd, everyone keeps the performers and guys with no beef.

As per point 1

Wise words.I wish i could pass that on to my girlfriend. She is retiring after over 20 years on April 1 and i think she is scared and bitter. Scared off the big unknown, and bitter that she will replaced by a min wage worker that will let her department fall apart.
I'm going to try and keep her busy.

retiremnet is a different animal , wife is done in June, shes a Clincal resource paediatric manager at a hospital ( smart nurse) , when she comes home now, another manager sits in her chair and the show goes on. What will be lost is 30yrs+ of paediatric medicine and all that historical knowledge , and the ability to recognize things in kids that you collect from 30yrs of doing it.
When she retires the place will march along just fine. And she says she wont miss it , but maybe.

If I walked out , there would be a 3month scramble to figure out what I was in the middle of and needs followed up on, and then just the stories about "remember that trade show in Chicago when Crankcall tried to expense $900 in lap dances and shots" , ( Our CFO was only sour because he had paid the bill when he left at 12;25 am , this was an add on)

I think I’m a gift is I show up to my shifts.
When I owned part of a company I would joke that you could be my favorite employee if you showed up every day and weren't drunk.

I worked as an Industrial Designer for 25 years. Some of you may have a Crane acrylic tub in your house that I designed. Then I semi-retired and spent 8 years working for a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I became the salvage co-ordinator and removed over 400 kitchens in and around London. On good weeks we'd pull 3 or 4 kitchens.
Now I'm retired.

When I owned part of a company I would joke that you could be my favorite employee if you showed up every day and weren't drunk.

I worked as an Industrial Designer for 25 years. Some of you may have a Crane acrylic tub in your house that I designed. Then I semi-retired and spent 8 years working for a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I became the salvage co-ordinator and removed over 400 kitchens in and around London. On good weeks we'd pull 3 or 4 kitchens.
Now I'm retired.
That’s dope and honestly my goal when I come into work is to pull my own weight. My coworkers like me my boss likes me and I’m efficient at what I do. I’m about to be the youngest lead qualified ramp guy in porter airlines history and I’m the first autistic worker they’ve had

That’s dope and honestly my goal when I come into work is to pull my own weight. My coworkers like me my boss likes me and I’m efficient at what I do. I’m about to be the youngest lead qualified ramp guy in porter airlines history and I’m the first autistic worker they’ve had
As someone who has a good 25 years of exp already. I would tell you this;

1) Go to your boss with solutions, not problems
2) Be on time in everything you do
3) If you want to stand out, raise your hand when they ask for 'volunteers'
4) Be prepared to be walked out the door at anytime
5) It's easier to find a new job while you still have one

1) Go to your boss with solutions, not problems
2) Be on time in everything you do
3) If you want to stand out, raise your hand when they ask for 'volunteers'
4) Be prepared to be walked out the door at anytime
Unfortunately I don’t have much say in flight delays but I try my best to never be the cause of one. The other step’s are pretty damn good though

Very true, I think some people make a career out of this in the outside sales world..

Back
Top Bottom