Obesity | GTAMotorcycle.com

Obesity

nobbie48

Site Supporter
There are a lot of uninformed comments being made regarding obesity.

In absolute simplicity the theory is that you will lose weight if you burn off more calories than you eat.

In reality one has to consider outside factors.

Genetics: Some people inherit a starvation gene that comes from for example, tribes that lived in areas where there were common food shortages. The gene allowed them to store fats to get them past the lean times.

Now that they get regular food supplies from modern delivery systems they suffer from obesity and huge diabetic problems.

PTSD and it's variants: Drugs to suppress moods also suppress the full stomach feeling so the person keeps on eating.

Stress and PTSD are not the same but are related. When a person is down, food is the fastest gratification. "I'm unhappy. I need pleasure. A Dutchie will do."

Fat shame a slightly pudgy person and make them feel bad about themselves. Their reaction is to feel the good sensation of something sweet on their tongue. RIP Karen Carpenter who wasn't overweight.

Crash diets trick your body into a starvation mode that never goes away. There are obese people that gain weight if they consume much more than a thousand calories a day. That's a Big Mac combo.

Could it be the fault of the parents? Dumb breed dumb. I used to drive to work the same way every day and saw the same kid, assuming on his way to school with breakfast and lunch, a 2 liter bottle of Coke and big bag of chips.

I know a guy that went on a Doctor created injection diet and lost so much weight people thought he was dying. He actually had to put 10 pounds back on. He developed a thyroid problem and went off the system. He weighs more now than ever. He makes Ford look slim.

How many fat people do you see in the fast food ads? Really, supersize me doesn't add calories? Do you want upgrade to a shake that is a third of your daily caloric limit?

Work pressures are up, the economy sucks for those not established and food is fun. Work longer hours and instead of cooking, dine out. A pile of cheap fries make the restaurant look generous which leads to success.

Think about it when you see a "Fat Pig". Do you actually think they want to be like that? They looked in a mirror and said I'm too skinny I want to be fat. There are problems that no one wants to recognize.

Housing: I'll never be able to save up a down payment so I might as well enjoy the day, let's eat.

Housing: That big old house in Parkdale used to be single family with a big kitchen and a dining room. Now it's a four-plex with a kitchen too small for entertaining, let's dine out on salty fat stuff.

The food industry: Most of the food you see at our grocery stores come from ten mega corporations. It is an industry. Grandma isn't making the cookies a dozen at a time. They engineer foods to make you want to eat more.

Timbits breakfast cereal????

I knew a couple that had a kid. They couldn't stand or understand crying. The moment it whimpered they shoved food in its mouth. She looked like a blimp at six months. What does she look like now. Who's at fault?

FWIW I'm about 40 pounds over weight and would like to lose it. All I have to do is carefully measure and calculate every morsel that I eat. So I have a day where every person on the jobsite is an A-hole, traffic sucked, the car is acting weird and there are three new problems to fix at home. Yeah right, give me beer and wings. I'll diet tomorrow.

All diets work at first because they make you think about what you're eating. Almost all of them fail because people get tired of the routine.

I don't find obese people attractive but am more concerned about them enjoying life, avoiding medical issues and being a productive member of society. If you aren't part of the solution you're part of the problem.

If genetics were responsible then why do white Europeans not become obese at anywhere near the rates of white North Americans?
Energy cannot be created out of nothing. You must take it more calories than your body is using.

I have quite a few overweight/obese people in my family/extended family. They all eat too much. They all eat too much of the wrong foods. They know what they are doing is bad for them and none of them are active.

FYI: I used to be obese. I have no empathy for those without a genetic disposition for weight gain.

Look in the mirror and if you feel disgusted with how you look, do something about it.

Also worth noting I was fat shamed, took a long hard look at myself in the mirror, and started crying my eyes out. She was right, I was a fat sack of **** failing at life.

Never gonna forget that. David Goggins and a few others went through a similar experience.

It’s really no ones business. If they want to eat let them eat. Sheesh.
That's fine but don't promote being fat as being okay. If an individual is okay with it, fine. But the current western trend of fat acceptance has gone too far: look up how many doctors get into **** for telling patients to lose weight.

That's fine but don't promote being fat as being okay. If an individual is okay with it, fine. But the current western trend of fat acceptance has gone too far: look up how many doctors get into **** for telling patients to lose weight.
that’s exactly my point, it is okay.

We sell drugs, alcohol and cigarettes to people AND tax them for it. We allow people to ride 2 wheeled death machines. Going to say those are all fine but over eating isn’t?

Can’t get behind that line of thought.

that’s exactly my point, it is okay.

We sell drugs, alcohol and cigarettes to people AND tax them for it. We allow people to ride 2 wheeled death machines. Going to say those are all fine but over eating isn’t?

Can’t get behind that line of thought.

We don't actively tell ppl smoking, drinking, and substance abuse is okay though. Remember what those smoking ads did in the 90s? Hell, I'm one of the idiots who fell for it lol

I've seen too many "being fat is okay" model shots.

We don't actively tell ppl smoking, drinking, and substance abuse is okay though. Remember what those smoking ads did in the 90s? Hell, I'm one of the idiots who fell for it lol

I've seen too many "being fat is okay" model shots.
We don’t?

Last I checked there were cigarette and alcohol commercials and bill boards all over the place. Are they promoting an unhealthy lifestyle? What’s not said is likely more important than what they do say.

We don’t?

Last I checked there were cigarette and alcohol commercials and bill boards all over the place. Are they promoting an unhealthy lifestyle? What’s not said is likely more important than what they do say.

I thought smoking ads were banned entirely and many fictional characters followed? Like Wolverine quit smoking which makes no sense cause of his powers...but they did it anyway.

I'll give you alcohol and I think advertisement for that should be banned.

We don't need to smoke, drink, or abuse drugs to survive. This is not black and white. People have a biological imperative to eat. Some people fall into habits of over-eating. Yes, this is not healthy or logical, but it is what it is. Telling these people to just "knock it off" - while they have to still actively shop for and eat food all the time - is a dumb approach. Also all of this ignores the profit motives of food companies.

We don't need to smoke, drink, or abuse drugs to survive.

If an addiction has been created, they need the drug to survive either literally (alcohol, for example, can't quit cold turkey if addicted far enough) or the mind will make the addict believe they do (nicotine, weed, etc.) often via "life will be better if I just do this one more time" thought patterns.

The above is no different than an overweight/obese person thinking they need to eat a few more chips because they were stressed. And yeah, chips are intentionally very addicting and makes most people feel like **** too.

But still: **** the noise. Suck it up, stop eating ****, workout, and push. And don't promote fat acceptance; fat awareness would be far better (like addiction awareness!)

We don't need to smoke, drink, or abuse drugs to survive. This is not black and white. People have a biological imperative to eat. Some people fall into habits of over-eating. Yes, this is not healthy or logical, but it is what it is. Telling these people to just "knock it off" - while they have to still actively shop for and eat food all the time - is a dumb approach. Also all of this ignores the profit motives of food companies.

Not to mention that food deserts do exist, especially in backwater USA.

Looks like he was reprimanded for being a straight up dick

“Let’s face it, if your husband were to die tomorrow, who would want you?” the state Board of Medicine says Dr. Terry Bennett told the overweight patient in June 2004.

“Well, men might want you, but not the types you want to want you. Might even be a black guy,” it quoted him as saying, based on the woman’s complaint.

Looks like he was reprimanded for being a straight up dick

I didn't read it...but I'm going to hell for laughing at that.

EDIT: Now I read it: he told a patient to get a gun and shoot herself to end the suffering? This guy is ******* savage LMAO. Explains why he got sued. This is a horrible example.

Personal weight - is a personal thing.
I hope that people can have a healthy image about themselves regardless of what others say and push on them. I also hope that more people can be healthy so that unhealthy choices don't cause them extra pain and suffering as they age. But it's their life to live and we all learn at our own pace.

I'm also learning not to judge or evaluate others by my own criteria, as if my criteria is right or correct or better than theirs.

Years ago I was cheering on my wife as she was in an Ironman. As she was getting out of the water I was seeing people that weighed considerably more than me and didn't have the image of what I thought a fit person looked like. I thought if they could do this, I could crush this. Ten hours later and they are crossing the finish line after having swam 4km, cycled for 180km and run for 42km and I realized that perceptions of fitness, health, endurance, stamina and even mental strength related to body image or size was unhealthy, but just for me.

Last edited:
If genetics were responsible then why do white Europeans not become obese at anywhere near the rates of white North Americans?
Energy cannot be created out of nothing. You must take it more calories than your body is using.

I have quite a few overweight/obese people in my family/extended family. They all eat too much. They all eat too much of the wrong foods. They know what they are doing is bad for them and none of them are active.

European food is regulated much more strongly than here. For example a lot of the high fructose syrups present in our food is straight up banned in the EU. Their portion sizes are also a lot smaller for pretty much everything across the board.

On the energy side of things, people in Europe are by and large more active. People walk, cycle, or take transit to get around. All these factors add up.

Back
Top Bottom