Obesity | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Obesity

European food is regulated much more strongly than here. For example a lot of the high fructose syrups present in our food is straight up banned in the EU. Their portion sizes are also a lot smaller for pretty much everything across the board.

On the energy side of things, people in Europe are by and large more active. People walk, cycle, or take transit to get around. All these factors add up.
They also don't have a retarded work culture that promotes drinking at work and staying super late (half of the companies I've been at literally give shoutouts to the workers doing this.)

They also have far better vacation packages. I know all of this contributes to being fat.

They also don't have a retarded work culture that promotes drinking at work and staying super late (half of the companies I've been at literally give shoutouts to the workers doing this.)

They also have far better vacation packages. I know all of this contributes to being fat.
And city design. North america is so spread out that walking to anywhere is approaching impossible for most people. Add in crappy street/road design that makes walking a very unpleasant experience. For the most part, we (north americans) only walk occasionally for recreation and that is easier for some people than others to get to somewhere nice.

And city design. North america is so spread out that walking to anywhere is approaching impossible for most people. Add in crappy street/road design that makes walking a very unpleasant experience. For the most part, we (north americans) only walk occasionally for recreation and that is easier for some people than others to get to somewhere nice.
This is a big one also. Add in garbage transit and there’s very little you can reach without a car.

I took my job with the expectation my commute would be a 2km walk from home to GO station…and then 1km to the office from Union.

That turned to a 55km drive on the 401 each way…transit is 2hrs minimum…car is 40min-1.5h depending on the idiocy level that particular day.

I don't know if it has changed but someone commented if you ask a westerner what they do they tell you their job. In Europe they told you their hobby or activity, "I ski, swim or oil paint". The North American fixation of serving the boss creates stress and not everyone can handle it the same, one of my original points. A company cell phone is great until the boss calls you on Saturday to get some sales forecasts, regardless of where you are.

Everyone's brain is different.

FYI: I used to be obese. I have no empathy for those without a genetic disposition for weight gain.

Look in the mirror and if you feel disgusted with how you look, do something about it.

Also worth noting I was fat shamed, took a long hard look at myself in the mirror, and started crying my eyes out. She was right, I was a fat sack of **** failing at life.

Never gonna forget that. David Goggins and a few others went through a similar experience.
Sometimes tough love gets people motivated.

291lbs lost

Thesedays though, every day I'm seeing adds about loving the body your in and big is beautiful. Encouraging unhealthy behavior is ridiculous, especially in this day and age when we as a species know better.

If genetics were responsible then why do white Europeans not become obese at anywhere near the rates of white North Americans?
Energy cannot be created out of nothing. You must take it more calories than your body is using.

I have quite a few overweight/obese people in my family/extended family. They all eat too much. They all eat too much of the wrong foods. They know what they are doing is bad for them and none of them are active.

Culture is also a factor. The Polish / Ukrainian background in my family leans towards huge bowls and help yourself. Young people can burn it off but many don't tend to back off the calorie load as they age.

Some Anglo friends do the portion control. In reality they are healthier but a lot of Ukies complain if their eyes don't pop.

Biologically speaking, you must eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight -- there’s no way around it.

Genes, choices of foods, activity levels, stressors, education all play a part however it is really boils down to understanding what and how much you can eat.

European food is regulated much more strongly than here. For example a lot of the high fructose syrups present in our food is straight up banned in the EU. Their portion sizes are also a lot smaller for pretty much everything across the board.

On the energy side of things, people in Europe are by and large more active. People walk, cycle, or take transit to get around. All these factors add up.
Not just Europe, I found this image interesting a while ago...NAvsAus.jpg

I found in North America where the "healthy" foods advertise no artificial flavor or colors, back home that sticker on the food actually reads no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. EVERYTHING in canada is pumped full of preservatives... it is unnatural for milk to have an expiry date 1 month after you purchase it. The amount of chemicals, sugar and garbage the food agencies allow in food here is criminal.

If genetics were responsible then why do white Europeans not become obese at anywhere near the rates of white North Americans?
Energy cannot be created out of nothing. You must take it more calories than your body is using.

I have quite a few overweight/obese people in my family/extended family. They all eat too much. They all eat too much of the wrong foods. They know what they are doing is bad for them and none of them are active.
I think Europeans are more active. Sitting and doing nothing makes it easy to grab a snack. One diet trick was to never eat anything unless you do so with a knife and fork. That eliminates a lot of snack foods. However I have been known to eat Cheezies with chopsticks to keep my fingers clean.

The calorie in and out is simplistic. The right mix of nutrients and fibres make a big difference. You may have to eat a lot of extra calories if your body tells you it's short on nutrients.

My brother and I spent a weekend with a couple of vegetarians and when we left we headed straight to a burger joint. Rice, soya and tufu were not fulfilling for a couple of carnivores.

I don't know if a person can be a big eater and big on activities at the same time. I always feel better when I'm lean and mean. (To a reduced degree lately)

Choose between sex and a steak dinner. A lot of people go for the steak.

I changed my diet recently to only eat natural foods, eat full fat everything, lot of proteins too. Just cut wheat, cut processed foods, and keep carbs under 100g. So 1 bowl of rice a day+fruit+oats. Losing weight. Love all the food I can eat. Don’t crave junk food. I binge on carbs but maybe only every other week.

Tldr; I feel there needs to be hunkering down on carbs and encouraging people to eat full fats again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI: I used to be obese. I have no empathy for those without a genetic disposition for weight gain.

Look in the mirror and if you feel disgusted with how you look, do something about it.

Also worth noting I was fat shamed, took a long hard look at myself in the mirror, and started crying my eyes out. She was right, I was a fat sack of **** failing at life.

Never gonna forget that. David Goggins and a few others went through a similar experience.
PTSD, stress and unrealistic expectations are a curse. Would you shame a war veteran that saw his friends killed? How about an office worker that stood up to their sexist boss and had to go unsupported, through the human rights process? What if it was a single mom that really needed the job to feed her kids?

I have mixed emotions about people that just don't care. They eat, sleep, poop and work a bit. Their choice in many cases. It's a bit me centred but I wish they were having some real fun IN MY OPINION using my definition of real fun.

Kudos to you for looking in the mirror. Not everyone was born with the same willpower. What do we do with the people that fail to use their potential? Pull a gun on them? OK Gerry, slowly put down the knife. Good, good, that's good. And now put down the salami.

You can send them to fat farms, boot camp, rehabs and many if not most will revert. The success rate for diets is pathetic but big business. One division of Big Food Inc makes Microwave fast foods while another division makes lean cuisine and diet pills. If you put them in the same box would it collapse like a black star?

Nah. A cruller. Deep fried in fat with a sugary crust in every crevice, artificial flavour and fake orange bits. Make sure you get some exercise though. Walk in. Don't use the drive through

I remeber listening to Greg Lemond speak at the Trek Store opening. Said when he was racing he could have drank bacon grease and his body would have burned it off. Said he was physically unable to eat enough during the Tours.

That's fine but don't promote being fat as being okay. If an individual is okay with it, fine. But the current western trend of fat acceptance has gone too far: look up how many doctors get into **** for telling patients to lose weight.

It's OK to be gigantic if your goal is to be a Sumo wrestler. Some sports demand weight. It's one thing to want to be a Sumo, working towards it and being overweight and rationalizing yourself into "I guess i can take up Sumo since there's nothing else I can do"

One of the hardest things to do is to constructively criticize someone. A few can pull it off, most can't and some are brutally bad at it.

We don't actively tell ppl smoking, drinking, and substance abuse is okay though. Remember what those smoking ads did in the 90s? Hell, I'm one of the idiots who fell for it lol

I've seen too many "being fat is okay" model shots.

Does the seller really care? What were they selling. Fat people have money too and are a target market, "We couldn't sell them the diet products so let's sell them some overpriced clothing." Make them feel good and they'll buy our stuff.

I tried, couldn't find any. Have a link?
My old doctor, now retired, is one. I don't think he got censured but some people didn't like his attitude. The truth is brutal and sugar coating it lets the message slip away. He told me three times to watch my weight and then stopped. He had tested my hearing and knew I wasn't deaf so he stopped wasting his breath.

If an addiction has been created, they need the drug to survive either literally (alcohol, for example, can't quit cold turkey if addicted far enough) or the mind will make the addict believe they do (nicotine, weed, etc.) often via "life will be better if I just do this one more time" thought patterns.

The above is no different than an overweight/obese person thinking they need to eat a few more chips because they were stressed. And yeah, chips are intentionally very addicting and makes most people feel like **** too.

But still: **** the noise. Suck it up, stop eating ****, workout, and push. And don't promote fat acceptance; fat awareness would be far better (like addiction awareness!)
but if you hang with slobs you run into conflict if you don't act like a slob. A lot of people need to find new friends and get their family off their backs. My wife has kept her weight down but her family members and their friends tend to look like meatballs on sticks. They're always pushing her to eat something. "You're so skinny." as if that was a bad thing.

I didn't read it...but I'm going to hell for laughing at that.

EDIT: Now I read it: he told a patient to get a gun and shoot herself to end the suffering? This guy is ******* savage LMAO. Explains why he got sued. This is a horrible example.
My brother (Not a doctor) told a guy he was outfitting about the same. The guy was huge and had an attitude of so what if i die. My brother said "Why don't we just get some concrete blocks, tie them to your ankles and throw you off the bridge to get it over with. It'll end the suspense for your family?" He kept at it and the guy came around, losing a ton of weight.

I remeber listening to Greg Lemond speak at the Trek Store opening. Said when he was racing he could have drank bacon grease and his body would have burned it off. Said he was physically unable to eat enough during the Tours.
I remember my teenage son downing 8000cals a day while training to maintain weight at 165. When he stopped training he ballooned to 230, then readjusted his diet to 2500 cals and returned to 150 where he has been for the last 10 yrs.

Have a close look at what high fructose corn syrup is actually in…literally everything

Their lobbyists are pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom