New Royal Enfield dealer in town | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Royal Enfield dealer in town

one other thing i remember, when i first brought the bike to flying squirrel for diagnosis. the mechanic was hitting the starter and then immediately rotating the throttle. at that point the engine was revv'ing, but as soon as she let go, it would die.

i mentioned this on another forum and the responses seem to indicate that its not a relay problem.

also taking TTC ******* sucks. havent taken it in literal years and was more annoyed than ever lol.
I'm going with vacuum leak/air boot leak. When you rev it up, the leak becomes small relative to fueled air flow but at idle the leak throws off the mixture. Did you hit a big bump before it died?

I'm going with vacuum leak/air boot leak. When you rev it up, the leak becomes small relative to fueled air flow but at idle the leak throws off the mixture. Did you hit a big bump before it died?
I'll come back to my original theory - one of the many hoses underneath the gas tank has come adrift.

not that i recall. i was just going up the slight hill on caledonia road and thats when it just died. very irritating having to manouevre this fully gassed up, relatively heavy bike from a standstill while on a hill lol.

ALSO holy ****...totally forgot this happened.

as i was waiting for roadside assistance, a few drivers would go by saying NICE BIKE etc. i told them yes it is! except its broken right now. and one guy yelled at me to GET A HARLEY hahahah. NICE.

Last edited:
OP - I have sent an email to RE North America to get clarification about Roadside Assistance. If their own people don't know how to do it, that's BS. Its part of the 3 year warranty package.
Ducati is the same joke of roadside they have no idea where Canada is and what to do about it. I had to use caa as well last time I needed it.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Ducati is the same joke of roadside they have no idea where Canada is and what to do about it. I had to use caa as well last time I needed it.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

i would not be surprised tbh since im guessing these roadside assistance services really just reach out to whatever local network we have and its just a lot of clueless middlemen trying to do stuff. but at least ive never had to use ducatis roadside.

roadside assistance and a royal Enfield not working?

There's a tech support joke in there somewhere

roadside assistance and a royal Enfield not working?

There's a tech support joke in there somewhere
From the RE website - this is how its SUPPOSED to work :

In the event the vehicle is unable to safely proceed under it's own power, the RSA Provider will arrange to have the vehicle transported to nearest qualified repair service facility and will pay up to a maximum of $200 per occurrence for the transportation expenses. In order to be transported, the vehicle must be accessible from an incorporated paved road.
Roadside Assistance is available through our partner SafeRide Motor Club 1-888-777-5907
- Towing service
- Flat tire change service
- Emergency gas delivery service
- Battery jump service
- Key lockout service

Royal Enfield will cover RSA for three years after purchase date of new 650 Twin motorcycle.

In this recent press release, RE claims that it's new bikes are equivalent to Japanese and German offerings.

True or False?

IMHO, the new models coming out from the Eicher factory are a huge improvement over the old Bullet 350. Though the claim of equivalency to Japanese and German products needs to be taken with a grain (maybe a spoonful!) of salt.

Anecdote: Many years back the old Bullet 350 was being imported by a firm located in the Niagara region. They finally had to cease operation as each and every new bike had to be torn down and reassembled before sale to ensure integrity of components and tolerances.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the current RE model line-up, but I would not own one.

In this recent press release, RE claims that it's new bikes are equivalent to Japanese and German offerings.

True or False?

IMHO, the new models coming out from the Eicher factory are a huge improvement over the old Bullet 350. Though the claim of equivalency to Japanese and German products needs to be taken with a grain (maybe a spoonful!) of salt.

Anecdote: Many years back the old Bullet 350 was being imported by a firm located in the Niagara region. They finally had to cease operation as each and every new bike had to be torn down and reassembled before sale to ensure integrity of components and tolerances.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the current RE model line-up, but I would not own one.
Massive improvement over the old 350/500 sh*tters, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one.
India is still their biggest market, and RE is the biggest player in the 'large displacement' market there.
New models are coming, witness the 350 single, very much like the Japanese they'll use 2 or 3 basic platforms and derive from that.
Quality control, IMO, is pretty good but sometimes things break - the trick is to find out what and why. With a very limited dealer network it's tough. OP has suffered a failure that will no doubt in my mind prove to be something dumb, RE North America must help resolve this asap or credibility is going to go down the tubes.
They are relatively simple machines, let's hope Flying Squirrel can get this fixed in a timely fashion.

Hope that OP gets his two wheels a la RE back soon and I will keep a look out for dudes on RE's while on the road myself.
I really like the design lines and simplicity of these bikes, many years back owned one, and was a member of the UK REOC.

Recently I was in India (a business trip that went wrong due to the pandemic) and being stuck there (return flight issues) inquired about buying the RE 650. The word out is that it is a nice bike and is a vast improvement over previous RE products, but to be prepared for frequent "maintenance".

REs are not the market leaders in their home country.

Last edited:
REs are not the market leaders in their home country.
Hero and Honda are still the biggest sellers, but they don't have anything over 350cc to offer (please correct me if I'm wrong).
With the rise of the middle class, larger displacement bikes are becoming more prevalent, but look what happened when H-D tried to move in with the Street 500/750s.
RE could still be moving 100,000 units a month domestically, but as the article mentions Covid has screwed that up.
14.8 million machines a year - makes Canada seem like small potatoes, doesn't it ?

All I know is I was definitely hesitant on buying a royal enfield. These models were supposed to be different. And I’d find the situation a little bit funny if I hadn’t dropped 11k on one.

Called OVC yesterday and they didn’t seem concerned at all and insisted on telling me I was the only one with an issue with these bikes so far. So? I don’t give a **** about everyone else’s bikes. You sold me a brand new bike that died 3 days later.

I asked about the 3 year roadside assistance and it’s procedure and they just told me they had never used it so they have no idea lol. (To be fair I guess it’s not really on them to know, but you ******* sold me the bike. You should maybe look into it??)

Overall I’m not sure what I can really ask from them.

I still haven’t heard from flying squirrel and will be calling them today (tried yesterday 3x and all I got was answering machine). At this point the bike has been in the shop longer than I’ve actually owned it lol.

I DID get a response from royal enfield North America customer service via email. They apologized for the situation and asked for my VIN number, which I provided. We’ll see what they can do. I basically told them of my situation and my awful experience with their roadside assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I still haven’t heard from flying squirrel and will be calling them today (tried yesterday 3x and all I got was answering machine). At this point the bike has been in the shop longer than I’ve actually owned it lol.
If you don't have resolution today, call Classy Chassis in Lakefield and found out what they can possibly do to help.
They've got some good techs there, I don't know about OVC or FS.

Do they come with a service manual? I would love it if a bike actually did that. Otoh, detractors would argue that it was supplied because you were going to need it often.
No, but the parts list as well as this PDF of the service manual are readily available online.
At 700+ pages you could print one off I suppose, but bring an extra toner cartridge.
Unfortunately, as with most new machines, you still need the manufacturer's proprietary diagnostic program software and hookup cable which are not so easily obtained.

No, but the parts list as well as this PDF of the service manual are readily available online.
At 700+ pages you could print one off I suppose, but bring an extra toner cartridge.
Unfortunately, as with most new machines, you still need the manufacturer's proprietary diagnostic program software and hookup cable which are not so easily obtained.
Thanks. I have a scanner for vespa/piaggio/Gilera scooters as I was contemplating getting one but never did. Still have the stupid scanner though. I figure right after I sell it, I will need it. It would be nice if bikes got on board with something like obdii instead of all of this proprietary nonsense.

Sorry for your troubles, you're totally justified irritation and disappointment are obvious and I can empathize.

Maybe I'm naive, but I would hope that in such a case the dealer would make it a priority to get the machine back on the road for the customer. I've always believed in the old adage, "It's easier to keep a customer than get a new one."

Back
Top Bottom