New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion?

Do you like the new Blue Ontario Licence plates?

• Total voters
How come the cars reflective tail lights are also not reflecting. :unsure:

Because it's being illuminated by the low beam headlights of a car that has a good beam pattern with a sharp cutoff line ... and the reflectors (and license plate) are above the cutoff line, and the bumper and underside of the car are in the bright region below the cutoff line.

The car's reflectors are reflecting ... there's just not much light to reflect.

Because it's being illuminated by the low beam headlights of a car that has a good beam pattern with a sharp cutoff line ... and the reflectors (and license plate) are above the cutoff line, and the bumper and underside of the car are in the bright region below the cutoff line.

Maybe that is also why the license plate is not reflecting well ;) he needs to lower his license plate.

Why would the edge of the plate and the logos still be white...yet the licence plate number be some other unreadable shade??? The white areas look to be identical on the “OPEN 4BIZ” plate.

And why is the photo’s quality of the plate itself so poor??? Maybe to hide the fact it’s been doctored???

I’m calling BS on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can see the two points of light reflecting directly above the plate, as well as what I assume is a parking lot light on the top of the trunk. The non reflective sign in front of the car is legible as well.

I'm calling bs on this one as well...

I haven't encountered any of the new plates at night since becoming aware of this. It seems apparent that the "Ontario" and the phrase at the bottom (which are on every plate) have different reflectivity than the numbers and letters of the actual plate number.

I passed and followed one the other night. Neither my wife or I could make out the plate letters. I was in my ranger following a civic. Headlights right on the plate. This is a wonderful fail ford the province.

And why is the photo’s quality of the plate itself so poor??? Maybe to hide the fact it’s been doctored???

I’m calling BS on this one.

I doubt it's been doctored, other than maybe increasing the brightness. It's not a cop using a civilian profile. I'm sure he's aware of any ramifications of bending the truth posting in any "official" capacity.

49548190012_e5f9f9b226_b.jpg

I agree, I highly doubt this is doctored whatsoever.

It's increasingly evident that these were not tested. If the lack of reflectivity or readability is a result of the physical design of the plate, either the material used, or the lack of raised letters like the previous design), or if the lack of reflectivity is a result of winter road grime just reducing or effectively virtually eliminating the reflectivity, certain mounting angles on different cars...whatever it is....one thing is evident - this new design was not properly tested in real world conditions.

I doubt it's been doctored, other than maybe increasing the brightness. It's not a cop using a civilian profile. I'm sure he's aware of any ramifications of bending the truth posting in any "official" capacity.

49548190012_e5f9f9b226_b.jpg

If only you had posted this pic as your post 72...would have given it way more credibility from the beginning .

So being able to counterfeit plates with an inkjet now seems like a problem. But given how these are showing up in photos, I wonder how these will work with the 407 photo toll system... or red light cameras... or the upcoming photo radar installations. Or even mobile plate scanners employed by Johnny Law. Poor machine readability seems like a significant oversight

Why the hell didn’t they do the letters/numbers in 3M reflective material?!!

These are horrible.
Drove being a car last night again and could not ready anything other than "Ontario", even that was a little hard.

If you are directly behind the car, you cannot ready anything.
You need to be close to the car and in the lane next to them in order to make out the letters. Almost too close for comfort in order to take your eyes off whats ahead of you and trying to read the plate.

I am not sure about the 407 or the red light cameras or photo radars.
Since they are legible from an angle (next lane over). Maybe they will also be legible to the 407 cameras since they are overhead and not directly behind. Same for the red light cameras etc.

I don't think they will have any difficulty during the day, just at night.

My current plates are peeling and a need a new sticker. Will probably replace the plate with the new ones. I will test the 407 theory. Take a short trip without my transponder and see if it plates are read by the cameras.

I see how people might want to get these for "stealth" purposes. But what if you actually do need to read the plates off of another car to report either a drunk driver or some other road incident. It is a real safety concern.

How long before the current government realizes this and redesigns the redesign?

Why the hell didn’t they do the letters/numbers in 3M reflective material?!!

All they had to do is apply the same printing method or ink or material as they did for the "ONTARIO" part of the plate to the actually letters of the plate.
After all, this is the most important part of the plate.

Problem solved.

Or better yet,
Don't mess with it just leave the old design, and just fix the peeling issue.

Family Day Trivia Question:

Does anyone know where the licence plates are made?

(do not use google or any other search engine)

Family Day Trivia Question:

Does anyone know where the licence plates are made?

(do not use google or any other search engine)

I know a few years ago they were made by inmates in Lindsay...but I’m not sure if the new plates are made there or not.

The mind boggles. They tested them using alpr and they worked perfectly. What about eyes? Did anybody actually look at them under multiple visibility conditions? How many alpr readers are out there vs eyes?

From cp24.com
In a statement issued to CP24 on Monday, the Ministry of Transportation said that it did consult with key stakeholders, including law enforcement partners, to “test the readability, reflectivity and functionality” of the new plates.

The statement notes that the plates were tested “using advanced plate reader technology under multiple visibility conditions” and were successfully read in every instance.

That was my thought too. The picture is not doctored, just shot in a very specific lighting situation to minimize legibility. If you are driving close enough to the car in front that your low beams are under their plate, you have much bigger problems than what their plate number is.

Back
Top Bottom