New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion?

Do you like the new Blue Ontario Licence plates?

• Total voters
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it came to light that the 407 Consortium lobbied (read: coerced) the government for the plate change to try and recoup their losses from their cameras not being able to read all the current plates that are peeled/faded. We're losing money. Change the plates or we go to court to get a ruling to raise the rates (more than we had already planned on, anyway).

They don't have to lobby much. The lease agreement states that the government can't do anything that affects profit. Poor quality plates affects profit.

The plates look like oversize playing cards.

is it a coincidence that is the PC party colours?
Interesting discovery! I think you uncovered a conspiracy.

I wonder why nobody noticed Ontario licence plates have been blue and white for the last 55 years.

is it a coincidence that is the PC party colours?

no
and it's also no coincidence Pearson removed blue bars from the original design for the flag
looks like the 2 oceans to me
but the Liberals would not allow Tory blue on it

q1i7kTj.gif

As far as I know, our flag was made to avoid looking British or French in any way, thus reduce tension between the French and English speakers.

On further research, we used to just use this:
1581534081583.png

The current flag is based on the "Pearson Pennant" (named that because Pearson actually really liked it):
1581532454459.png
and the Flag of the Royal Military College:
1581532756018.png

It was designed to make no references to French and British flags. To avoid the blue-and-gold French flags (found very tiny on the old flag) and the blue-red-white British flag (very big on the old flag), an all red flag would be uniquely Canadian.

IT IS VERY conveniently Liberal colours, I know, but there was a real justification for it,. They couldn't go all blue without pissing off the anglophones or half blue without pissing of the francophones. That was a way bigger social issue at the time, than the Tory vs Libs political one.

1581533492736.png

I never really noticed that the new plates are Tory blue, I just thought it looked cartoon-ish and amateur. Then again, blue and white is common on license plates the world over, maybe for visibility reasons...
I definitely notice that DoFo is all about the stickers and signs, plates and placards. Someone is getting a kickback.

As far as I know, our flag was made to avoid looking British or French in any way, thus reduce tension between the French and English speakers.

On further research, we used to just use this:
View attachment 41782

The current flag is based on the "Pearson Pennant" (named that because Pearson actually really liked it):
View attachment 41778
and the Flag of the Royal Military College:
View attachment 41779

It was designed to make no references to French and British flags. To avoid the blue-and-gold French flags (found very tiny on the old flag) and the blue-red-white British flag (very big on the old flag), an all red flag would be uniquely Canadian.

IT IS VERY conveniently Liberal colours, I know, but there was a real justification for it,. They couldn't go all blue without pissing off the anglophones or half blue without pissing of the francophones. That was a way bigger social issue at the time, than the Tory vs Libs political one.

View attachment 41780
Thanks for doing the research, it was interesting. As for picking red, I don't buy your argument. They could have picked green (or even black or yellow) and avoided france/britain references. It it way too convenient that it matched the colour of the party in power (similar to our new license plates). They can argue until they are blue in the face, but a reasonable independent observer would make the same connection. If you didn't want the design to appear biased, for the love of god, avoid the one colour that is associated with your political party.

I never really noticed that the new plates are Tory blue, I just thought it looked cartoon-ish and amateur. Then again, blue and white is common on license plates the world over, maybe for visibility reasons...
I definitely notice that DoFo is all about the stickers and signs, plates and placards. Someone is getting a kickback.

Of course they will deny that the colours have anything to do with the colours of the current party.

I did hear DF day that he volunteered to have his family’s company produce the mandatory carbon tax stickers that are at the gas pump.
At zero cost. But they did Not as it would be a potential conflict of interested.

Maybe it’s not about him liking stickers/labels/signage but I think it’s about him leaving a mark on the province at every chance he can get. His legacy. :rolleyes:

Sort of like Mel Lastman left his mark on the city with the amalgamation

Of course they will deny that the colours have anything to do with the colours of the current party.

I did hear DF day that he volunteered to have his family’s company produce the mandatory carbon tax stickers that are at the gas pump.
At zero cost. But they did Not as it would be a potential conflict of interested.

Maybe it’s not about him liking stickers/labels/signage but I think it’s about him leaving a mark on the province at every chance he can get. His legacy. :rolleyes:

I thought that too. Needless changes of slogans, logos. Smoke and mirrors. I don't think it matters if he did volunteer to do it for free, but then the government (his government) turned it down.

NOT SAYING Wynne was good.

What was nice about the old plate is it was neutral due to the white background, did not matter much what colour the car was. The darker blue letters were understated.

The new one is much less so, it will look great on some colour cars and like crap on others. I prefer the neutral.

If you really are not a person that cares what your car looks like then it does not matter to you. If you do care but it will look good on your car colour of choice then it does not matter to you. If it will look like crap on your car (or future car) then you should care, is it the biggest issue out there...NO, not even close...but it is annoying none the less.

I also never understood why existing plates cannot be reused for certain vehicles. (Public sector)
When people change cars they have the option to transfer their plates.

I think all police/emergency vehicles should reuse existing plates when new vehicles come into service and “old” are taken out of service.
this would save so many license plates (out of the large pool ) being issued for short usage .

But I guess the government is a business at the end of he day.

I don't like them. Maybe once I get used to seeing the new plates they won't stick out so much but they really could've gone with something more subtle. I run a dealer plate anyways so fingers crossed they don't mess with those. I like the white plate with red letters.

I don't like them. Maybe once I get used to seeing the new plates they won't stick out so much but they really could've gone with something more subtle. I run a dealer plate anyways so fingers crossed they don't mess with those. I like the white plate with red letters.

I was wondering about this

Same with the commercial plates. ( white with black lettering)

Btw

New drivers license coming in the fall as well.

History Lesson: Mike Harris and the provincial PCs were responsible for Toronto's 1998 amalgamation. Municipal organisation is the domain of the province. Mel Lastman was the last mayor of the City of North York and vehemently opposed the amalgamation. He was also the first elected mayor of the newly amalgamated Toronto.

What was nice about the old plate is it was neutral due to the white background, did not matter much what colour the car was. The darker blue letters were understated.

The new one is much less so, it will look great on some colour cars and like crap on others. I prefer the neutral.

If you really are not a person that cares what your car looks like then it does not matter to you. If you do care but it will look good on your car colour of choice then it does not matter to you. If it will look like crap on your car (or future car) then you should care, is it the biggest issue out there...NO, not even close...but it is annoying none the less.
Don't you think a PC banner would make any car look better?

@Mad Mike
Sorry. History or politics was not my strong subject in school.
Lesson learned

But he was responsible for calling In the army to deal with the snow.
I know I got that right.

I'm not sure how much R&D was out into these. Especially on real roads at all lighting conditions.

I just drove me behind one when it was dark outside already.

Depending on the angle of lights (head lights and street lights) and depending on the distance between my car and the car with new plates, it found it hard to read these. At times, they were completely "blanked out" by the flat surface and full reflective finish.

(n)(n)(n)

Back
Top Bottom