Min wage increase | Page 32 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

If I can’t start a business and make money while paying my workers a decent wage then that’s a pretty ****** business.
You have it all backwards.

If you can't pay your workers a ****** wage to be able to start a business and make money then that's a pretty decent indictment of government.

Try doing something first, then tell us about how easy it is. For example, take out a net lease on a 5000sq ft shop, get some equipment, pay commercial utilities, taxes, WSIB, insurance, etc. and open a fabrication shop with every second patron expecting you to drive to them an hour away and weld their crap for $50. Go ahead and tell me how easy it is to keep the lights on, let alone hire a shop helper.

How about this, retail net leases are about double the price/sqft if not more depending on location. Then you've got to pay for all of the above recurring expenses, in addition to floating your inventory, dealing with theft, returns(most of the time this is not reimbursed by suppliers and has to be eaten by the retailer). Working 17 hour days to start because most new start ups operate in the red and can barely pay themselves a living wage, let alone any hired help. Not to mention that when margins are tight in the beginning, you fret about hiring anybody new because of trust issues, what if the new hire turns out to be a thief, or worse?

See I know you haven't tried any of this, because of the way you speak about how easy it is. How you don't know any of the statistics, or trials and tribulations of starting and running a small business. I've tried, and admittedly failed a couple times to get something of the ground without massive capital behind me. My next venture is actually a fabrication shop that I will be trying to start up in the next year. I know that in order for it to work for me in the beginning, I will have to literally live at my shop, and keep my full time job, putting in 18 hour days between the two. A workshop typically runs $8-12/sqft/yr+HST plus commercial utilities. Just that alone can kill it for many people starting out without a bunch of money in their pocket.

So when I hear somebody say that any new business that can't afford to pay for workers at high wages, is a ****** business, I can't help but think of one famous quote about speaking out of your ***. Although the original source of the quote is a matter of some controversy, the moral remains the same. "[FONT=&quot]Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.[/FONT]"

Nobody said it was easy. All I said was that it’s a pretty ****** business if you can’t afford to treat your staff well and make a profit. Or maybe it’s because you’re a pretty ****** businessman? Is any one of those statements factually incorrect?

Try this, might be somewhat eye opening for you, but the TLDR is yes you are incorrect and misinformed. Starting a small business does not instantly make you Warren Buffet.

Try this, might be somewhat eye opening for you, but the TLDR is yes you are incorrect and misinformed. Starting a small business does not instantly make you Warren Buffet.

So...simple question. Which of my statements is incorrect? It’s a simple question if you have higher than high school level comprehension skills.

Nobody said it was easy. All I said was that it’s a pretty ****** business if you can’t afford to treat your staff well and make a profit. Or maybe it’s because you’re a pretty ****** businessman? Is any one of those statements factually incorrect?

Has anyone considered the ****** customers that go to the dollar stores or wally world and price match the cheapest? So many complain about job losses as they shuffle off to Walmart.

You can start a business but you have to come up with a new product or service. If it's new the banks won't understand it so no loan. If you get money you buy / lease equipment, hire and train staff. After you train someone they quit and the tens of thousand you spent is down the drain.

Patent something new and see it at Pacific Mall next week. Spend a fortune getting rid of the copy cat and his brother starts up the following week. Thanks government for backing your entrepreneurs.

opening a business, buying an existing business that's failing, or buying a business that's doing well then doesn't, all share a common theme. Under capitalized.
And lack of a proper business plan. If you buy the $250K CNC machine to be more competitive, because non of your competition has a CNC machine, maybe question 1 should be, why dont they have one.

... any body know the minimum wage in Zambia?
It's very complicated,
but they do list jobs for motorcycle riders as a valid occupation so it can't be all bad.

Try doing something first, then tell us about how easy it is. For example, take out a net lease on a 5000sq ft shop, get some equipment, pay commercial utilities, taxes, WSIB, insurance, etc. and open a fabrication shop with every second patron expecting you to drive to them an hour away and weld their crap for $50. Go ahead and tell me how easy it is to keep the lights on, let alone hire a shop helper.

How about this, retail net leases are about double the price/sqft if not more depending on location. Then you've got to pay for all of the above recurring expenses, in addition to floating your inventory, dealing with theft, returns(most of the time this is not reimbursed by suppliers and has to be eaten by the retailer). Working 17 hour days to start because most new start ups operate in the red and can barely pay themselves a living wage, let alone any hired help. Not to mention that when margins are tight in the beginning, you fret about hiring anybody new because of trust issues, what if the new hire turns out to be a thief, or worse?

See I know you haven't tried any of this, because of the way you speak about how easy it is. How you don't know any of the statistics, or trials and tribulations of starting and running a small business. I've tried, and admittedly failed a couple times to get something of the ground without massive capital behind me. My next venture is actually a fabrication shop that I will be trying to start up in the next year. I know that in order for it to work for me in the beginning, I will have to literally live at my shop, and keep my full time job, putting in 18 hour days between the two. A workshop typically runs $8-12/sqft/yr+HST plus commercial utilities. Just that alone can kill it for many people starting out without a bunch of money in their pocket.

So when I hear somebody say that any new business that can't afford to pay for workers at high wages, is a ****** business, I can't help but think of one famous quote about speaking out of your ***. Although the original source of the quote is a matter of some controversy, the moral remains the same. "[FONT=&quot]Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.[/FONT]"

Just remember in addition to working below min wage when you start out. You won't get E.I. or WSIB or any benefits that an employee may get... If you want or need something it comes out of your pocket.

So...simple question. Which of my statements is incorrect? It’s a simple question if you have higher than high school level comprehension skills.

So you can't figure out the simplest economics, can't wrap your head around the fact that simply starting a business does not make one rich. Yet question my comprehension skills?
Just about every statement you make is incorrect. Which explains the quote in my above post. I will also reiterate, Ron White was right.

f8j8u9.jpg

So you can't figure out the simplest economics, can't wrap your head around the fact that simply starting a business does not make one rich. Yet question my comprehension skills?
Just about every statement you make is incorrect. Which explains the quote in my above post. I will also reiterate, Ron White was right.

View attachment 39195

Thats Ok...it’s human nature to deflect when you can’t answer a simple question. Don’t worry, many people won’t notice.

How is the business tax? Do you have to fight the Min of Environment?

Lefties complain about how easy it is to be a business owner or ceo. Why don't they strive to be one?

I think this fits here
91bf3788951166d84ec74aa64bf07511.jpg

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Lefties complain about how easy it is to be a business owner or ceo. Why don't they strive to be one?

Not everyone wants a business. I earn a good salary but don’t have a business. I also employ people and I pay them well as what they do is valuable to me.

I think this fits here
91bf3788951166d84ec74aa64bf07511.jpg

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

well Joe your partly right, and the quote gives pause for thought. my view is a lot of minimum wage earners have a very good work ethic, some choose lower wage jobs because they have done the grind for 30yrs and now just want to be busy and cover some med costs.
Some are not employable in anything beyond a minimum wage job, they have no marketable talents.
Some just didnt think life through and are now stuck, or didnt get the guidance (or take it) at home, and now there they are. Thier ethics may be just fine, hardest working full serve gas pumper at the station, but its not enough.

Im not sure I should have to pay for a lot of other people bad judgement, covering my own bad ideas is costly enough.

And the ministry of labour, and Revenue Canada, and city bylaw, and TSSA, and ESA, and just about every other government department that can interact with you. "I'm here from the government, and I'm here to help."

I'm quasi-self-employed. We have someone full time JUST dealing with administrative crap that I don't have the patience for. HST. WSIB. Insurance. The other day one of our customers emailed me asking for a registration number for something I'd never heard of.

Those teenagers better make my Big Mac look EXACTLY like the picture now that they are making the big bucks.

Just remember in addition to working below min wage when you start out. You won't get E.I. or WSIB or any benefits that an employee may get... If you want or need something it comes out of your pocket.

Yes but the real reward is all of your effort goes into your pocket, and not someone else's. And that is a great feeling and rewarding beyond materialistic.

Back
Top Bottom