Kids Sporting Activities | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kids Sporting Activities

3. Currently on adjustable 11-2 but they obviously are marginal at the best of times.
Balance blades my 5 year old has those and loves them. He has started skiing this year his mom has taken him to hockley 4 times so far and he is now on the blue Hills on his own. This kid is going to get expensive.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
e56abb0945b37da2e467691beea14134.jpg

Tried to get better skates for one kid last night. No bueno. No stock in his size anywhere. For quite a while the kids were using ski helmets for skating. Not ideal but not enough time on the ice to justify another helmet in the fleet. Neighbour gave us a hockey helmet they had grown out of so now bigger one uses that. If you do lessons, they need a helmet although I saw a couple kids with ski helmets on.
We have been using his bike helmet for everything.

Balance blades my 5 year old has those and loves them. He has started skiing this year his mom has taken him to hockley 4 times so far and he is now on the blue Hills on his own. This kid is going to get expensive.

e56abb0945b37da2e467691beea14134.jpg
Four year old took a blue by accident last night. They normally like green or more supervision on blue. Burned away and I had to run them down and hit the brakes for them. Kid was probably going a bit over 50. Normally cruises at 30-35. Oh well. They had fun and no crash. They've been out almost 40 times this season. Started hand holding on the bunny hill, now mostly on their own off a chairlift.

Skiing with my kids starting at 4-5 was awesome fun , since I loved skiing ( for me it beat the hell out of 6am hockey practices in cold arenas). Now that both kids liver in the west and ski big hills ALL the time , the last couple times I was struggling to keep up.
( I was an instructor at Glen Eden about a zillion yrs ago and taught both kids)

Its something you can do as a family for most of your lifetime

Following GTAM advice I’ll start my little guy on skis next season.

Got skates last night. $10
Sharpening $12
Helmet $15

Let’s see if he likes it. Got mine sharpened up and bought a helmet for me so he sees me wearing one.

Also going back to an indoor pool to get him familiar with water. And it’s good to get daddy and son time.

Might take the little terror today.

A kid doesnt have to be gifted at any sport, but in most lives there comes a time when its a skating party, hes not Gretzkey but he can stand up. Skiing is a great way to meet girls , soccer and hockey teach them work in a group.

And swimming in my mind is 100% a requirement , 2/3 of earth is covered with water, and at a high school party some nob always pushes people in . Swimming should be part of every kids corriculum .

Following GTAM advice I’ll start my little guy on skis next season.

Got skates last night. $10
Sharpening $12
Helmet $15

Let’s see if he likes it. Got mine sharpened up and bought a helmet for me so he sees me wearing one.
You might want to get a pair of elbow pads for the both of you.
Elbows are a common landing spot, and can ruin your winter if you land the right/wrong way.

Elbows are a common landing spot, and can ruin your winter if you land the right/wrong way.
He's got elbow pads from his summer sports. Can fit those under the jacket.

Also neighbour has one of those metal skating supports that he's lending us. Neighbour has a skating rink in his backyard, but it won't be as smooth as a properly done rink.

I think next year I may build a 30x15 rink in our backyard.

Good point. Need to redo lessons on falling with the little one. Bigger one has it reasonably ingrained and keeps their arms in when they fall. Extending them increases injuries.

He's got elbow pads from his summer sports. Can fit those under the jacket.

Also neighbour has one of those metal skating supports that he's lending us. Neighbour has a skating rink in his backyard, but it won't be as smooth as a properly done rink.

I think next year I may build a 30x15 rink in our backyard.
Our rink is a hell of a lot smoother than local outdoor rinks. Made up a zamboni from an extra wheelie green bin. Five gallons of hot water and you get a mirror.

We have one of those metal frame things. Piece of crap. Too low and far too short so it likes to tip forward and dump the kid. I added 2x6 skis to raise it and make it more stable. It's good now.

Our rink is a hell of a lot smoother than local outdoor rinks. Made up a zamboni from an extra wheelie green bin. Five gallons of hot water and you get a mirror.

We have one of those metal frame things. Piece of crap. Too low and far too short so it likes to tip forward and dump the kid. I added 2x6 skis to raise it and make it more stable. It's good now.
I know who I'll be asking about building an ice rink next season. I know there's a few members here that built ones in their backyard IIRC.

My neighbour's is ok. Good to see his kids enjoying it. But he does say it's not overly level/smooth.

I know who I'll be asking about building an ice rink next season. I know there's a few members here that built ones in their backyard IIRC.

My neighbour's is ok. Good to see his kids enjoying it. But he does say it's not overly level/smooth.
Make the zamboni this year. Use it to polish your neighbours rink as a thank you. Too much snow on ours now to take a picture. Bulkhead fitting through wheely bin, ball valve, T, a few feet of copper pipe with holes drilled in, two test caps to seal the ends and a t-shirt over the spreader bar to distribute/collect slush.

Sort of but I didn't want to deal with a hose so I use the wheely bin to hold water. Clearing out the hose every time takes more time and effort than cleaning the rink. Instead of a D shape, mine is a T to allow me to get an old T-shirt over it.

If the rink was bigger, I would for sure make the trailer behind powerwheels version. That would be awesome. For <500 sq ft it would just be a pain in the ass.

Good point. Need to redo lessons on falling with the little one. Bigger one has it reasonably ingrained and keeps their arms in when they fall. Extending them increases injuries.
Crashing.
You have snow for the ski crew. Soft(er) landings.
Ice for skating / hockey. Can cause brutal pain on hard unprotected points.....elbows, knees, noggins.
Crashing / being checked into the boards or glass in hockey requires tequnique and needs to be taught. The arms are used as shock absorbers to avoid damage.

I'm still hurting from cracking an elbow on the ice 20yrs ago. That was the day I didn't bother with elbow pads.

Wow. 20 years and still hurting @Gary!?

I remember years ago was on a date at a skating rink. My date fell backwards and before I could grab her she hit the ice.

Started puking that night when she got home. Turns out she got a mild concussion and she cracked / bruised her tail bone.

She wasn’t even moving. Just lost her balance standing in place.

Wow. 20 years and still hurting @Gary!?

I remember years ago was on a date at a skating rink. My date fell backwards and before I could grab her she hit the ice.

Started puking that night when she got home. Turns out she got a mild concussion and she cracked / bruised her tail bone.

She wasn’t even moving. Just lost her balance standing in place.
Yup. Ever sit with your head in your palm, with elbow on a table, or side of the couch, etc?
I can't do that on my left....lol.

I didn't want to mention it, because you mentioned having a helmet. Same happened to me, as your gf. Before puking, on my way home from the rink (pleasure/public skate) I drove a house I used to live at. Forgot I'd moved.
(get some elbow pads for you too. I'll give you mine if you need 'em)

Back
Top Bottom