Kids Sporting Activities | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kids Sporting Activities

Say "no" and then what? Let kid stare into a wall?
I know my sis has her kids signed up in something for each day of the week…
Dancing, swimming, piano, soccer, on and on.

Almost feels like it’s too much to have 6 activities per week (with homework).

Most parents just need to learn how to say no. It has nothing to do with finding something else. Common sense has gone out the window.
Trampoline is getting a lot of use. No screen time after school until they have done something outside for an hour. Neighbour kid is teaching them some things to practice (knees, butt, bellyflop is the current sequence). Both kids have gained a bunch of height and stability. An added bonus is they practice things in there like flips or cartwheels and it is much safer when the maneuver fails.

Say "no" and then what? Let kid stare into a wall?
Sure. Or send them outside. Or give them playdoh. Or give them Lego. Or give them one of the xmas gifts that you put away 6 months ago because they had too many.
Just DON'T sit them down in front of a device.
Sometimes parenting is work.

I know my sis has her kids signed up in something for each day of the week…
Dancing, swimming, piano, soccer, on and on.

Almost feels like it’s too much to have 6 activities per week (with homework).
That plan is not for me. One sport and one art per season seems reasonable to keep their brains and bodies developing.

Sure. Or send them outside. Or give them playdoh. Or give them Lego. Or give them one of the xmas gifts that you put away 6 months ago because they had too many.
Just DON'T sit them down in front of a device.
Sometimes parenting is work.
Playdoh? Lego? I'll let my 16 and 11 year olds know what their new hobbies are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trampoline is getting a lot of use. No screen time after school until they have done something outside for an hour. Neighbour kid is teaching them some things to practice (knees, butt, bellyflop is the current sequence). Both kids have gained a bunch of height and stability. An added bonus is they practice things in there like flips or cartwheels and it is much safer when the maneuver fails.
Grandkids had one. Hilarious watching the 2 girls and 2 year old boy with a full grown bulldog in there.

5C81963A-352C-4A3C-860D-509ECF0D2458.jpegI love LEGO! My kids play with LEGO like this…

I buy LEGO sets for myself and keep them hidden from the kids.

As for trampoline…I want one. Wife doesn’t!

Not at the age where I can contribute yet, but just wanted to say thanks to all those who contributed great thoughts and comments to this thread.
Daughter is only 1 and expecting another on the way but was already starting to think about these as well.
Was always planning on making both go through swimming until decently comfortable, we travel a lot and 80% of vacations have water and swimming involved. Wife is not a good swimmer and I don't want to be saving 3 people.
Karting and dirtbikes were always on my mind but never thought about the driving skills karting would bring over.

Will be following this thread closely for more suggestions.

As for trampoline…I want one. Wife doesn’t!
I didn't really want the trampoline. Mainly didn't want to tie up money in it, secondarily, it's one more thing I have to deal with (lawn cutting is harder, clear leaves out of it, figure out what to do with it in the winter and I am not shovelling the bleeping thing everytime it snows and the the rest of them won't make it a priority so it will get destroyed).

Arrrggh!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1626640382938.jpg
    FB_IMG_1626640382938.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 12
Not at the age where I can contribute yet, but just wanted to say thanks to all those who contributed great thoughts and comments to this thread.
Daughter is only 1 and expecting another on the way but was already starting to think about these as well.
Was always planning on making both go through swimming until decently comfortable, we travel a lot and 80% of vacations have water and swimming involved. Wife is not a good swimmer and I don't want to be saving 3 people.
Karting and dirtbikes were always on my mind but never thought about the driving skills karting would bring over.

Will be following this thread closely for more suggestions.
In all seriousness, try to get your wife better at swimming too. Sell it as safety for the kids (because it is).

Both our kids had swimming figured out by 4. Some of their friends as young as three. Time in the water matters a lot more than lessons at the beginning. Like the trampoline, it takes time to learn how to move and how things react. Even at one, throw a swim diaper on, buy tickets to the local warm pool and take them in for an hour. Spend some time dragging them around, some time in a lifejacket (they will probably hate it but it's good practice in case they end up in the water in a lifejacket) and some time sitting/bobbing/blowing bubbles. Make sure it is mostly fun and easy going. Time in the water is the goal not teaching specific skills.

My son wants to be a NASA engineer (at least for now).

View attachment 51792
I’ve got this one and the ISS. As well as a few other sets (1989 Batmobile, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future) that need to be reassembled. I just don’t want to while the kids are so young. It’ll end up in bin.

My friend and her husband sent me pics of their LEGO room….easily 20-30k of LEGO in there.

I’ve got this one and the ISS. As well as a few other sets (1989 Batmobile, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future) that need to be reassembled. I just don’t want to while the kids are so young. It’ll end up in bin.

My friend and her husband sent me pics of their LEGO room….easily 20-30k of LEGO in there.
We had 6 60L bins of lego parts - gave it all away. Just left a small box for him to build random staff and a few bigger completed models.

Forgot about the trampoline and rock climbing, both my kids are good at both activities. Both kids could climb 5.9 walls at the climbing gym by the time they were 8 years old.

There really is a lot of fun $#!T for kids to do that didn't exist when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom