June heading west 3 weeks + | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

June heading west 3 weeks +

Glorious sunshine after a dismal day and still 5 hours of daylight left at 5.30 pm, ...love June weather. :D
so nice to dine on my Kraft dinner entre ;)

Well that petered out right quick ...single digit start this morning but will warm up to upper teens and sun.

Damn that was cold run - needed all the layers but my rain pants.

Of course it's warming up big time now

Just a Spences Bridge - the turn south at the top. Fantastic scenery up 97c and then 8

What a wild ride down the Fraser River canyon.

Got lucky with this shot

He was turning away and then came back and posed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at Jun, 7    2019    8.25.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at Jun, 7 2019 8.25.58 PM.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: J_F
Sunny and 12 at 6.30 am. Cozy room. Will be decently warm by 9.30 as I head into Vancouver to see a friend from Australia. Couple of nice days ahead and will head up the Sea to Sky on Monday afternoon towards Lilooet. 99 is one of my fav riding roads ever.
At this point my plan is to ride to Jasper - then down to Banff and either south from there in the mountains or head east towards home.

Looking at the weather mid 20s across the prairies looks fine for putting in KM but may want to do some secondary roads instead of Trans Can. Suggestions welcome.

Looking at the weather mid 20s across the prairies looks fine for putting in KM but may want to do some secondary roads instead of Trans Can. Suggestions welcome.

Tuck in and peg it at 120-130kmh.
You can cover a lot of ground across the prairies in a day...
Of course once you cross into Ontario, get used to the somewhat pedestrian speed limit of 80kmh and dont go much over 'cuz really.... I've never seen I higher concentration of opp anywhere... the stretch between say Kenora and Thunder Bay...
Crawling with fuzz...

Normally I drop down under Lake Superior and I still might do that but thanks for heads up....I have no fixed route and much is both weather dependent and how my shoulder is behaving

Comfy 150 km into Vancouver to my friends hotel she set up for me ...secure parking for the bike and nicely appointed.
Victorian Hotel | Stunning Boutique Downtown Vancouver Hotel & Rooms

Perfect position to head up 99 for some fun

She used to share my partners house in Aus and moved to Vancouver for a couple of years to work and see Canada....liked it so she's got some sort of longer visa - looking forward to lunch with her and might stay an extra day so we are not rushed

What a lovely day. Chatting with my friend and catching up ...she's got incredibly fit hiking and training. I had hitchhiked across the country in 1967 - Centennial year and slept rough in Stanley park and hung out with the hippies and draft dodgers o the beach at English Bay.

...floods of memories and it was fun relating them to my friend.

Lovely heron in Stanley Park - what a resource that park and waterfront40426

Staying an extra night and then it's on up 99 and then to Jasper.

Last edited:
Had a terrific couple of days wandering the Vancouver area with Megan. She was happy to see a friend from Aus ...calls me her Canadian dad. She even kept the up and down components reasonable

The Capilano Park was completely new for me.

Vancouver Attractions | Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

Watched the Raptors lose tonight :( ....pubs were packed.

It was a simple gorgeous mid 20s today but tomorrow the heat arrives ...29 in liloet. I'll head up the Sea to Sky around 7.30 am and try to get a good way to Jasper and into the cooler air of the mountains.

its hot

had to peel down along 99 - the infamous turn both my son and I missed on our first day and it wasn't until 10 o'clock at night we got back in touch ....rather frantic dad ( Kenz is a type one diabetic - tho he had all his gear with him ) and quite the backroads, dirt switchbacks he got himself into.
Led to a couple of procedural changes for the rest of the trip.
( he likes to ride the twists fast and no way the very loaded Vstrom 650 was keeping pace with his lightly loaded FZ08 - not to mention he's the better rider
So he would go ahead for 10-15 km at pace and wait for me.
We both missed this turn.
He waited a few KM further on than I did ....I finally realized we were off track and figured and went back to the turn to head north on 99,
He did not know he missed the turn, thought maybe he missed me going by, contined north on the opposite side of the river which then turned into rather wild area and he was low on gas and got lured ahead to a promised station on a rez ....nobody home, getting dark, lotsa of critters to dodge - fortunately mostly downhill and he was a good dirt rider despite being on street tires.

I could actually see today for the first time the crazy switchbacks he went up and then back down on the mountain on the other side of the river.
I had called the Mounties by 9 pm to have an eye out for him.
They were great,
Very relieved dad when he finally called at 10 pm. He was 60 km south of where we were supposed to stay so he just grabbed a motel and I rode back along 99 in the morning to meet up

what a fantastic road it is. The first section Sea to Sky to Whistler swoops along the coast going to sea level then twisting back up to cling to the mountains ...rinse and repeat.
Reasonably well paved tho you need to stay alert - and drop dead scenery that you really can't fit into a camera frame,

Then it turns inland and winds along incredible canyons,

Last edited:
Nothing near me tho some stuff on the news. Heading to Jasper tomorrow then a ride down to Banff at a more leisurely stop and take pictures pace.
Not sure how early to leave as I saw a deer back by Lilooet in full daylight. The short cut across Little Fort was on purpose to get some more rural roads but wondering if more critters early. :eek: ???

Last edited:
good ride...just 90 km short of my Super8 with a hot tub :S

at the Jasper Bear's Paw Bakery & The Other Paw Bakery Cafe
which for once is not jammed with tourists and I got parking for the motorcycle right outside. Different experience than when Jude and I were here last time......tho we did get parking in the rail station across the street.

Good food as always ...enough for this late lunch and a supper at the motel. Good flat white.

saying goodbye to the mountains. Weather is turning ugly and figure I can get in a long day tomorrow rather than ride down to Banff.
Had good photo ops today with scenery and critters.

that's with my wide angle lens so they were very close

should have pulled out the longer lens but I have many elk shots tho he had a very nice rack.

almost like surfeit of chocolate...the Rockies are simply so photogenic.

Looked in the rear view mirror as I was heading out of Jasper area to Hinton and figured that was a great goodbye shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at Jun, 12    2019    8.27.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at Jun, 12 2019 8.27.30 PM.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hopefully Saskatoon today ..800k
weather okay just now after light rain earlier

Making good time 430 km left to Saskatoon/800 km mark and just before noon.
Sunny with some cloud not too hot
SSE wind that is light which is nice at 130.

Switching to north soon and then that dark bank of cloud I can see comes in around 4 pm with rain and ENE wind....might just try and dodge that.

RIght now I'm tracking behind it by 50 km and I'll be quite happy it stays on the horizon for 4 more hours.

Missed the rain and got in around 4 after an early supper stop and fill up 60 km out.

Decent room with bike I can access from the room.

Hot tub unit lined up for tomorrow at Portage La Prairie 731 km
- will be in Ontario on the weekend but still a long hike. Couple of 700 km days then easy one from the Sault

Last edited:
Good sleep last night after a satisfying win by the Raptors. Trudging the prairies on the way to Portage Le Prairie and slugging A&W on a break. :D

FIghting a crosswind so keeping the speed down a bit and almost lost my cup holder but pinned it and the waterbottle between me and the tank bag and managed to pull over without losing the screw. If I get into Portage I'll do some maintnance tho might get wet today.

Did not expect pelicans on this part of the trip but there was a flock as we crossed a causeway ..apparently this area is a World Heritage bird sanctuary,

gonna stay in TBay heading across NW Ontario?
if so, I'd recommend the Prince Arthur hotel
bike friendly place with dedicated parking
fair rates and lots of choice in walking distance for chow

gonna stay in TBay heading across NW Ontario?
if so, I'd recommend the Prince Arthur hotel

That place is hauted I'm sure... Lol.

'Stayed there a couple of years ago while driving home from BC...
Nice place...

Back
Top Bottom