June heading west 3 weeks + | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

June heading west 3 weeks +

If you are not camping ...I'd be interested in you keeping track of your fuel, food and accommodation costs so people can compare it to the cost when flying. I have to say I'm really looking forward to leaving Calgary airport and riding into the Rockies right away. ?

Glad I'm going early
Summer_2019_Temperatures.jpg

The Weather Network - Revealed: Canada’s 2019 Summer Forecast

Tho forecast high of 29 in Calgary tomorrow will have me very glad to get up in the mountains - high teens and clear

High of 19, sunrise at 4.40 am and sunset a 8.55 pm ....too nice. ☀?

Updated 32 min. 50 sec. ago

Well the bike is there....just have to catch up now and some minor repacking before heading out. 23 forecast and mix of sun and clouds...that will do.

YYZ

YYC
Departed TerminalGateEstimated arrival TerminalGate
Toronto Pearson · Fri., May 31 Calgary · Fri., May 31
4:07 p.m.3B2A5:59 p.m.-A17
Scheduled departure 4:00 p.m. Scheduled arrival 6:03 p.m.

Arrived not far off what I figured but did see some deer.

Glad that CB500x is fuel efficient....but more about that later.

Horrid feeling I forgot my kidney belt ....paying for that but stretched out on a very comfie bed

Did forget the kidney belt but a GIvi pouch belt works fine.

Last edited:
Slept rather long but needed
Getting groceries and chasing down forgotten charger
Today and next three days lovely so need to get some rides in

Popular area for motorcycles - dozens out riding. Of course it's a sunny Sunday. So nice to be parked in one spot for two weeks and to enjoy the bike without luggage..

Was very glad I had the CB500x as I was flashing for fuel at the top of the Rogers Pass quite unexpectedly it was only 560 km to my destination in Falkland and the bike has a huge range. I filled up about 10km out of Calgary and figured I'd fill up again on the other side of the pass.
Took a break for something to eat at A&W - was parched and hungry and they had free refills so two cold giant mugs of root beer got me rehydrated plus a teen burger and I was good to go.
Noticed a sign as I was pulling out that "no fuel for 146 km" ignored it .....oops.
It should say no fuel for 146 km of which 90 is seriously uphill and often against the wind.
Since it was getting late into the day and I was riding into the sun I was not paying attention to fuel gauge and just riding normally between 90 kph and 120kph as the traffic moved. Was gawking at the scenery
Did not realise Glacier National Park extended north so far !!

a few just had to be photographd

but not stopping for many pics as I had 550 km to cover to the AirBnb and did not want to deal with deer ( as it turned out I got in just as the sun went down at 8.30 local time and did see a couple of gorgeous deer grazing maybe 50 m from the secondary road that led to Falkland.

Back to the pass....all of a sudden my brain registered I had flashing fuel gauge. Oddly enough I had just read a thread on it that it's counterintutive as to what it means but I didn't think it meant I could get the 65 km to Revelstoke....and there was nothing inbetween. Was kicking myself for not bringing the siphon at that point.

Well for every uphill there is a downhill and I feathered the throttle all the way down to Revelstoke and as it turned out ...had a liter left....the thing just sips fuel. Turns out I did get 465 km on that tank ..one time I was glad i had "topped it up".

The CB500x is easy to fill up without getting off the bike...something I appreciated as that pillion seat bag was a pain for me to get a leg over.

That said ...it discouraged getting off and stretching so I had a more than usual sore butt and back ( no kidney belt ).

In general tho it was a satisfying day starting 7 am to airport 9 am flight in Toronto, fly to Calgary and ride 560 km through spectacular scenery to am AirBnb with everything I need walkable.

I rode the 35 km to Vernon to pick up a charger I forgot and the bike felt good with no luggage on it. Vernon is a nice size town

Last edited:
Might go out a bit again but its 29 and glary - might wait a bit and snooze.
Get out early for this

Ponderosa Rd to Ponderosa Rd

Lots of photo ops - need to get some 500 km rides in

A bear was playing peek a boo with a vehicle just ahead and really did not want to get too close.

Was almost looking for another layer on the trip over a mountain on 6 ...
but sun was lovely and spectacular scenery - glacier lakes and snowy mountains.

Wait for the ferry was long and hot on a rather steep grade.

I turned into a parking area and was created with the aroma of fresh coffee.

a well equipped rider on an aging BMW side car rig was pouring some out. Unfortunately his attempt to brew more was stymied by a stove that failed to light.

Lovely old bike and he cooked along at 120 kph + when we got on the road to Revelstoke....I was surprised how hard he cornered.

nothing like a ferry stop to make you take the time for photos.

Last edited:
lunch break in the Kootenays....got pretty nippy going over one mountain ...hot now down lower,...

Well satisfied I can do that distance ...oddly the worst part was my back ...I likely need risers....a sojourn at the The Last Spike with my back warming in the sun really helped..

Last edited:
Bloody hell ...nippy up here ....it IS a ski resort after all. 13 C in the sun.

My destination cafe was closed despite signs to the contrary but

Vertical Cafe Specialty Coffee Shop Juice Bar Sun Peaks Ski Resort

Made a mean flat wide and a good wrap by an Aussie girl from Brisbane. Happy to get down to warmer climes.

This attempt to get to a bird watching spot petered out into 4x4 arena with a view

Last edited:
Last edited:
7205 Mountridge Rd to 7205 Mountridge Rd

Weather permitting tomorrow ....nice loop planned including a break at a good mcycle store

Always wanted to visit Summerland BC....just like the name - hope it lives up to it tomorrow. Single digits tonoght

as 12 and rain on Friday :(

Still debating route home after visiting friend in Vancouver on the weekend via Lilloet and 99 which is one of the nicests riding roads I've ever been on.

Temptation is to back up 99 to Jasper - that's pretty fine weather for doing the tourist route through the Rockies between Jasper and Banff.

My inclination at this point is to do the Canadian route home as I've not done it.:unsure:

Great pics...
BC is IMO the most beautiful province we have.. The scale of the landscape is what gets me. That, and the fact that it can kill you.
My plan is to move to the Okanagan Valley after I retire... 'Do what many people I know have done.... Sell everything and GTFO of Ontario.

My partner is the wine drinker not me.....ruin of perfectly good grape juice in my view ?
Got chilly going up 33 today ...bit of rain but 12-13 and damp is about my comfort limit for what I put on this morning. Lesson that I should carry and bit more warm gear tho I do have one more top layer and could have added the rain pants but down to warmer climes now ...it's 16 and going to 19 along the lake.
The hot tub will be very welcome tho this excellent garlic chili and a flat white has taken the chill off for lunch break.

Kudos to Rock Creek Trading Post ...good food and great coffee and just in the right place. 33 is pretty wilderness ...no wildlife about tho lots of signs cautioning drivers. It is a lovely winding route tho the off and on wet took some of the fun out.

https://rockcreektradingpost.com

this ride turned out with far more twists than expected. Certainly worth the chill and little bit of rain. Cleared off now so mixed sun and clouds and 19 ...that's just fine.

this was wild - fantastic views coming down 3 to Osoyoos. Had not realized how close I was to the US border.

About 100 km from base now and ran out of steam....fortunately a handy Timmies for revival pit stop then a hot tub:p:love:

Longer day than anticipated - partially I forgot my decongestants and some odd detour in one town that added 20 minutes,

But really an interesting day and getting better with the bike.

almost certainly a rest day tomorrow due to rain.

Last edited:
Not a lot of rain but vegged and organized for tomorrow

shifted this route along the north west side of the lake - will be warmer

I have option routes but weather looks good for the Hells Gate route - i'm going to wear warm gear and heated gloves

Staying here
Horse haven in agassiz - Bed and breakfasts for Rent in Agassiz, British Columbia, Canada

much easier jump to Vancouver to see a friend for Sun/Monday ...not certain of agenda after that. Might go up 99 and then over to Jasper....down to Calgary and home.
That's my preferred route.

Tuesday Wednesday look okay for Jasper ...I'd go up 99 on Monday afternoon then stay somewhere in between.

Getting better at organizing the packing tho I'll look like the Michelin Man tomorrow given the layers. I suspect some will end up in the pannier later in the day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at Jun, 7    2019    2.00.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at Jun, 7 2019 2.00.02 PM.jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom