June heading west 3 weeks + | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

June heading west 3 weeks +

Theresa nice waterfall in TB and
Mount Mckay scenic lookout

Thanks - didn't have a spot in Tbay yet

Struggling today ...little energy ....tstorm weather and muggy.
...364 km to go so will be okay but just draggy ass
saw a coyote in the field, a deer and PELICANS!!!
apparently the area I drove through was some sort of world heritage bird site. Because I've been expecting tstorms have kept camera in waterproof storage - also glary day ,,,not photogenic

What a difference a few hours made....turned to a lovely dry high pressure ..could have gone farther....not a cloud in the sky now.
Very enjoyable ride cept I REALLY pushed the range by being an idiot.
17.5 liter tank and 17.2 fillup. I did learn how high that oddball counting system works tho I did not run out.

Headwind and poor judgement ? Pulled over cuz I knew I was on fumes and waved down a local rider. He told me to take the second exit ...the station was out of sight of the highway and I wasn't getting to the next one.

No a/c at the hotel but no problem - 27 outside but lower inside and hot tub really good for loosening back muscles.

The usual smorgasbord of bugs on screen and shield. Prairie not so flat here...some river valleys and rolling hills. Lots of jack rabbits.
Speed was lower mostly due to headwind .....road a bit rougher in parts.

I switch off the northern TC 16 on to Hwy 1 the main TC and weekend traffic coming...oh joy

Last edited:
out of the prairies tomorrow and gorgeous day lined up. Taking a less travelled route and having the camera out this time - playing the place to stay by ear. Suggested hotel in Tbay undergoing renovations and too much money but will be nice when complete.
Figure I will blitz to Kenora as early as possibld

then take it slower through here - I've looped Superior before and looking forward to the ride to Sault on the north side and weather looking good.

you're going through Emo, ON, lol
I lived there for 12 months
time in my life I will never get back!

but east of there past Ft. Francis is a very nice ride
make sure to get gas in Ft. Francis
it's a long haul with f...... all east of there to TBay

Thanks
Will fill up

This is outside Tbay which I was a bit concerned about with the bike security ...this is 600 scenic KM - so better than a city stay

b8aa8af0-bf8d-46ee-beff-f9223f4a3015.jpg

Quetico Retreat 2 - Nature lodges for Rent in Kawene Atikokan, Ontario, Canada

Enjoying the posts. Reminds me of a trip we did in 2008, many of the same experiences and sights.

I wish my wife was into long distance riding. I'd gladly pack the bikes and head out on the road for a month if she was. She'll do 500-600KM days, but not back to back to back....which is a reality when you go west. Either that, or you're into the hard core endurance riding and covering massive miles every day...which she most certainly is NOT into whatsoever.

It's part of the College - decent reviews and a good distance
It has 100% availability as the uni is under renovation and has something like 190 rms or some such.
Quetico College School – A place to build and reflect.

Over slept after hot tub soak last night and got away a bit later than intended but made up some time.
Into sunshine tho is chilly ...having poutine at a local restaurant with Quebec and Ukrainian roots...got chilled that first segment but well pass Winnipeg and 180 km west of Kenora
having poutine of course ..Restaurant is Ti-Beauville.
Ti-Beauville, Richer - Updated 2019 Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - TripAdvisor

It's part of the College - decent reviews and a good distance
It has 100% availability as the uni is under renovation and has something like 190 rms or some such.
Quetico College School – A place to build and reflect.

Over slept after hot tub soak last night and got away a bit later than intended but made up some time.
Into sunshine tho is chilly ...having poutine at a local restaurant with Quebec and Ukrainian roots...got chilled that first segment but well pass Winnipeg and 180 km west of Kenora
having poutine of course ..Restaurant is Ti-Beauville.
Ti-Beauville, Richer - Updated 2019 Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - TripAdvisor

I mean, they have Slush Puppies, how can it not be good?!

Hehe....perogies for lunch and a warm up. Colder than expected....but hot tea and a break is good.
Still now I'm wondering if Michigan route makes more sense.

I'm wondering if Michigan route makes more sense.

I'd stay off the interstate(s) in MI.
I've driven through Michigan enough by car to put any thought of riding out of my head... The interstate(s) are by far in the worst condition of any roads I've ever been on... They're chewed up and rough. Cracks/breaks and pot holes you don't want to hit while on a bike.

I've been up and down that route many times and yeah not the best condition but neither is many parts of the TC either. Arrived fine and it's very nice,

Excellent wifi and cell coverage
Might get ambitious and walk down to the lake tho it's mozzie time.

Kakabeka Falls is worth a visit if you have not seen it before. Located just before you get to Thunder Bay. On my way home last year I ran the interstate from Sault Ste Marie to Sarnia and did not find it too bad. On my way west stayed in Canada. If you stay in Canada, watch for a roadside memorial on north side of highway. It was there last July, a large metal sculpture of a band playing. I did not turn around to check it out after passing it and regretted it. Interested on that story. Will look for it myself in a couple weeks. Thanks for taking the time to document your trip, I am enjoying the ride.

Thanks - will have an eye out...appreciate the comments. Found a place in Chapleau with optional breakfast and the right distance, I know I can make it home from there Monday and I like the road and scenery.
Expecting a chilly ride tomorrow across the top so heated gloves and long underwear.

One of the odder sights today some one on a serious unicycle riding the gravel shoulder on the TC east of Winnipeg.

Has to be this guy
Riding his Unicycle Across Canada for Fun - Discoverweyburn.com

I also came across someone pushing what looked like a big pink pram facing traffic.

I do like the Chapleau road cutting around Sault. Hopefully a bit less damp than 2017 Lake Superior loop tho it was brief I got soaked in Chapleau.
tTV4-eBZBHux_Avb1R6L-HbrTZVLolNzKQxFw6AtcwQe0wXdmNs5MaWX6dSsjYc1dP2tYC6pIALcNs6lAljJy38RULdFUNy0QiMDetpKIsdVg8HbVkwdxtk6zGBHuU7JFGtOk-2Rq6yx3uDrXNKMA8D2OYraTRlKxMqfaQswyNssFFScCjzN087-BQycZUq8kPtB-RgSK5f5XVAfFu8F8pOD9-Ygs5iFAHfGoqSAq9dPWW2El4mt6X5d3JIGwDr7ptZW4RfXf5ayzGmDfEUfTkyPFtQil_Iw9rQX0YeEsxlcNbqhmM47xIRfX0gPgOL1RkaQsrs0IyGoY9_ULJlpH9iPGF5AtnGtYHJYHHpjyMo6jTPVR6SXDP-iO32Iod8Q1qAyZ6beIuWGJUr50DnkWBQQDc0aGF8jfbXGw_ssLafx7xnFVsL8MWQuIub_a1s4CEa15rKMrcSIxxjmJX0u7I3GpCVLn93qiRuq5UdTtxf_yuCpANVXdyoBqxaXDU5VhERco-Kcw0L0TmSiFrliIjYg8wAmtkasUwl3ALUyuSMyhENfVvfK5l2XMmdlkKkUqrSRaiQK1AbC87PDELl4I5UIpJx0Oe5kDMoNxvJr96-sY5zp3kDnotyS34zckVX87bNVVgiTvF-x3hdeg3BkHnWb2ymGdrJH=w1446-h884-no

two moose , one bald eagle, several foxes and a loon plus a mild case of hypothermia ....nice ride tho verra chilly.
Still 5 hours riding....getting warmer .

HWY 101 is a great road

several long stretches with no driveways or cross roads
makes a good place to do some engine de-carbon :)

two moose , one bald eagle, several foxes and a loon plus a mild case of hypothermia ....nice ride tho verra chilly.
Still 5 hours riding....getting warmer .

Any comments on how you and the bike are getting along on this trip? Do you see it as a long term bike? It is basically a good cheap blank template that you can customize how you see fit.

I’ve had mine since 2013 and it really does do it all. I have no plans on replacing it unless it’s for the same bike with a 19” front wheel.

will reply later ...long day ...lots of critters ....more moose on the road over to Chapleau and a gorgeous pair of sandhill cranes
and a bjillion black flies

short answer ...long term keeper

One more leg this morning and home ...6 c this morning at 6 am in Chapleau..think I'll wait a couple hours so I don't need to be Michelin man - 801 km ...and since it's slab half way ...not worried about when I get near home even if it's later.

Feels colder than yesterday at 6.30 am....bike is soaked with dew. Definitely waiting for more civilized temp ....so are the black flies...not one to be seen (y)

home stretch - perfect day and the cutest ptarmigan and a bundle of chicks the size of cotton balls on the ride down from Chapleau. One more moose too that stayed around a bit ….thought I might get a shot but have too many shots of moose hind ends to add to the collection. Road not great shape tho being fixed up in some areas
got a bit cold so warming up at Timmies....big tea, chili and an Apple fritter - too good for $8

Last edited:
Parry Sound... had to peel some layers - stunning day. Will take some time here ...no need to deal with Barrie traffic.

Took the slower route once past Barrie, across 9 then down 10 and Forks of the Credit Road and home. Didn't have to think much and no go fast slab to deal with.

Good trip and effectively no rain the entire trip....just a couple of damp patches. 40524

So flying the bike it becomes reasonable to ride BC for 9 days and then a week coming home. two weeks plus a weekend....16 days can work tho I took 17 mainly due to the hilight of the trip spending time with my friend in Vancouver.
Bike was flawless.

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip MD. Thanks for the updates. Just arrived back on site here in BC and it's making me want to bring the bike here and ride it home one day.

Back
Top Bottom