Jeep Wrangler Lovers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Jeep Wrangler Lovers

ZX600

Site Supporter
It's not a jeep only thing. Land rover discovery I and II have the same issue. In fact most solid front axle vehicles can experience this issue with worn out suspension and misalignment.

Going to ISF is gonna piss a lot of ppl off. What does it offer other than ground clearance compared to an army of other SUVs?

Yeah I just read the whole article and was a learning one for me indeed. My wife bought the Jeep 11 years ago, and I just started driving it in the last 5 or so. Was never into them at all, before that. It certainly is fun in the snow. I am getting tired of this reoccurring wobble, though... we spent $1300 on a bunch of new parts on the front end last year... it went away mostly, but I can still feel something is f'd up, up front... Could be drive train related, now though... this winter was a tough one on the poor Jeep. I have a sound coming out now, that is directly proportionate to the rotation of the front wheels... doesn't seem to happen in 4wd really either, only 2wd... I'm thinking this is a bad sign.

It's not a jeep only thing. Land rover discovery I and II have the same issue. In fact most solid front axle vehicles can experience this issue with worn out suspension and misalignment.

Going to ISF is gonna piss a lot of ppl off. What does it offer other than ground clearance compared to an army of other SUVs?

Steering stabilizer are cheap for them....that should help to a degree no?

I'd like a wrangler - simple trucks to work on, nothing fancy on them.

Yeah, I am going to replace the damper and if that doesn't work than it's probably just about due for suspension. It has 199K on it, stock everything.

Not only is it simple to work on, but it is simple to drive as well... you truly get the old vehicle feel out of it still... gas pedal is directly connected to the fuel delivery... no computerized b/s in between.. it feels great.

Jeeps ..

The 2 happiest days of a Jeep Owner is the day you buy it, and the day you sell the POS.
here come the Truck owners and Jeep haters lol

Well, I bought mine last week and I have had 7 happy days so far so bug off :)

J5M9

The linked article had another link to another article about an IFS system that maintains (most of) the ground clearance advantage. Remains to be seen if that's what Jeep does, though. Worth noting that the Hummer (the real one, not the copycat playthings that came afterwards) has independent suspension all around ... and geared hubs to place the diff centerline well above the axle centerline for better ground clearance.

In this day and age ... the number of people PO'ed by IFS will probably be exceeded by the number who wouldn't know the difference ... and the number for whom it actually won't make a difference (because they never actually do off-roading serious enough for it to matter) ... and the number of people that are actually better off with IFS due to better on-road ride, handling, and stability. The really serious off-roaders are going to put in suspension conversions anyhow.

My understanding is that the forces involved in the "death wobble" are beyond what any normal steering damper can provide. It's a cover-up, not a fix.

I am not an off-road enthusiast (Nothing against those who are - I'm just not one myself) but I've been in a couple of solid-front-axle Jeeps, on the road. They have some peculiar, unnerving ride motions to this particular person who is used to automotive independent suspensions.

Sorry dude .. put up all the pretty pictures you want. This is coming from a previous Jeep owner ..
alright that is cool but this thread is not about that!

To each their own right!

The linked article had another link to another article about an IFS system that maintains (most of) the ground clearance advantage. Remains to be seen if that's what Jeep does, though. Worth noting that the Hummer (the real one, not the copycat playthings that came afterwards) has independent suspension all around ... and geared hubs to place the diff centerline well above the axle centerline for better ground clearance.

In this day and age ... the number of people PO'ed by IFS will probably be exceeded by the number who wouldn't know the difference ... and the number for whom it actually won't make a difference (because they never actually do off-roading serious enough for it to matter) ... and the number of people that are actually better off with IFS due to better on-road ride, handling, and stability. The really serious off-roaders are going to put in suspension conversions anyhow.

My understanding is that the forces involved in the "death wobble" are beyond what any normal steering damper can provide. It's a cover-up, not a fix.

I am not an off-road enthusiast (Nothing against those who are - I'm just not one myself) but I've been in a couple of solid-front-axle Jeeps, on the road. They have some peculiar, unnerving ride motions to this particular person who is used to automotive independent suspensions.
it's funny you say that because there are a lot of die hard wrangler owners that will freak the hell out if Chrisler/Fiat changes the jeep suspension, but with the number of people buying the Sahara (the more comfy and luxury loaded model) and using them to get groceries I wonder if Fiat will really give a damn about the purists.

I mean the car has horrible aero dynamics, and the gas consumption is terrible (not as bad as an F150 :) ) but there are specific reasons why you buy a Wrangler and not a Cherokee

I worked on them quite a bit at Chrysler. When they break beyond normal wear items .... run! That said I would own one and not all of them are bad. Very simple to work on but not some bulletproof monster that can take the beating most people try to put them through. I'll say the only no for me is a 4 door wrangler. Much like a few cars these days they should have stopped at 2.

The front half of my buddys' jeep over minor irregularities feels like the back half of my Mazda B2300 over rough road. He also has 1986 911 Turbo, you want to talk about odd sensations at speed:confused4:

I worked on them quite a bit at Chrysler. When they break beyond normal wear items .... run! That said I would own one and not all of them are bad. Very simple to work on but not some bulletproof monster that can take the beating most people try to put them through. I'll say the only no for me is a 4 door wrangler. Much like a few cars these days they should have stopped at 2.
A 4 door or Automatic is not a Wrangler imo

I think Barbie having one ruined wranglers for it but prior to that my dad has an 89 YJ Sahara with Chrysler LA 360 swap. He said never buy Jeep, they're poorly built & death traps.

Suzuki Samurai with Chevy rear end, engine swap, aftermarket suspension and roll cage.

it's funny you say that because there are a lot of die hard wrangler owners that will freak the hell out if Chrisler/Fiat changes the jeep suspension, but with the number of people buying the Sahara (the more comfy and luxury loaded model) and using them to get groceries I wonder if Fiat will really give a damn about the purists.

I suspect they really do care about having a certain off-road capability. On Allpar there is an article about the new (CUSW) Cherokee ... which takes the place in the market of the old Liberty ... and the trail-rated option on the Cherokee supposedly really did meet Jeep's criterion of being capable of getting through the Rubicon Trail without being winched ... and that's a transverse-engine unitized-body vehicle with 4 wheel independent suspension and FAR better road manners than a Wrangler, and low fuel consumption that the Liberty could never dream of!

The people that are going to enter true rock-crawling competitions are going to remove the stock front suspension system and install an axle anyhow. That's not 95+% of the people who buy that vehicle.

The Mustang purists don't like the S550 IRS either ... but again, for 95+% of the people who buy it, they are likely better off because of it, regardless of what they say or think. The 1% will take out the IRS and retrofit a Ford 9 inch axle.

Mandatory disclaimers, I've dealt with the production equipment for both CUSW and S550 ... a lot of those parts are made around here.

I mean the car has horrible aero dynamics, and the gas consumption is terrible (not as bad as an F150 :) ) but there are specific reasons why you buy a Wrangler and not a Cherokee

Yep but all that means is that 95+% of the people won't really drive them off road in a way where IRS or solid axle would make a difference, as opposed to 99+% ...

Back
Top Bottom