Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads

Unless you are a police officer, who are you to decide what is or is not an insult.
You sound like one of those smug obnoxiously arrogant millenials who thinks that getting a speeding ticket is the cop's fault.
But that's not an insult.

Lovely, keep on assuming. Nobody says speeding tickets are cops fault. I infact laughed at whoever said cops are there because of complaints and for public safety. Dont twist my words around to fit your assumption. You're old enough to understand this

I believe that some of the signs are there because of the number of accidents that have happened in the area, similar to the deer crossing signs.

If people believe that it's all NIMBY and simple to get a speed limit changed, then why don't they lobby for an increase in their areas?

If people believe that it's all NIMBY and simple to get a speed limit changed, then why don't they lobby for an increase in their areas?

No one (almost) wants the speed limit raised on their own street where their own kids might run across into traffic.

They just want the speed limit raised everywhere else.

Your local city councillor represents the people who live in that area ... not the people who pass through it. In a perfect world, they should both have a say. But that's not how it works.

In extreme cases of cops purely treating a road as a fishing hole, of course if enough local residents (or city councillors themselves!) get ticketed perhaps their voices can be heard. It's not common for a speed limit to be raised, but it has happened. The new 4 lane section of Mississauga Road through Huttonville, which was 50 km/h with a major fishing hole at the bottom of a hill coming from both directions, has gone up to 60 km/h recently and the section north of Huttonville has gone all the way up to a dizzying 80 km/h (was 60). The 60 km/h fishing hole south of Huttonville remains. I don't know what led to those speed limits being raised, but it's something council would have voted on. Same road is 70 km/h south of the Mississauga border.

First of all, calling cop a pig isn't an insult. Dont be dramatic oversensitive

Second, brainwashed simply mean blinded by their job. Everyone got brainwashed at their work. Just like bankers think banking help growing economy, only the top executives know the system is flawed. A regular cop would not see what the agenda their chief pushes on him.

Calling Hedo names is probably more dramatic than anything else posted in this thread. Plus, your responses defending it seem pretty oversensitive.

Only the "top executives", eh? That's Toronto Sun level analysis there. LOL.

Lovely, keep on assuming. Nobody says speeding tickets are cops fault. I infact laughed at whoever said cops are there because of complaints and for public safety. Dont twist my words around to fit your assumption. You're old enough to understand this

So what was your screen name before you were banned and got a new IP?
Your assumptions are that you know what people are thinking (maybe just bankers and cops, excellent telepathy). And you obviously have the police stations bugged because you know for a fact no enforcement is due to complaints.
I have no idea if you are old enough to understand all that.

I expect you will be going on an illuminati rant in the near future.

Hahah..I guess someone complained that there are too many people speeding on Heart Lake Road at about 4:30am?- but to me it felt like the radar cop i saw perched there (around Beechgrove- south of HWY9) a couple of weeks ago was just fishing for easy $$$/quota (if there is such a thing?).
Luckily i was enjoying the night air temp changes/smells and not in a big hurry but i was very close to getting pinched.
Don't think anyone would be retarded enough to say that NO enforcement is due to complaints- but i see them fishing in easy pickins areas way more than i see them in school zones...

Path of least resistance is the name of the game. If there's a quota they know where to go in order to nab speeders and that's that. Just like they know to stick on Hockley, Forks, etc....roads that are fun are easy targets for speeders.

So what was your screen name before you were banned and got a new IP?
Your assumptions are that you know what people are thinking (maybe just bankers and cops, excellent telepathy). And you obviously have the police stations bugged because you know for a fact no enforcement is due to complaints.
I have no idea if you are old enough to understand all that.

I expect you will be going on an illuminati rant in the near future.

Do you see me trying to explain whats the deal here? It sounds like hedos is the only one who does that. We all have different opinions about the speed traps there but please dont try to tell me its because of the complaints. Like i said i know the area because live right there.

Also what the point of making a statement without any evidence? Shouldnt all the complaints be recorded and archived in public?

I guess we got used to " have nothing to hide" so the government can tap our wires but we got no transparency the other way? Ignorance is a bliss

Last edited:
Are some people suggesting that the police should put radar traps in areas where there aren't any people speeding?

If it were easy and fun to drive slow we'd all be doing it.

That is the point. They want to take the fun out of those roads so they can become transportation routes. If you want to have fun you go somewhere else.

Is this why everyone in Burlington drives at 10 under the limit? Driving through is an agonizing experience

Allow me to "educate you". I am a former officer, (never made a secret of that). If you read my posts you would see I referred to the 70's not many officers I know who were on the job back then are still on the job today. So your assumption that I am a "brainwashed pig" is incorrect, but thanks for coming out.

Calling a police officer a pig is CERTAINLY an insult. You can try to defend it but it would be like calling a priest a pedophile. Just because some may be doesn't mean it is applicable to label all as such. It certainly is an insult to label the ones who do their job with intergrity and respect.

The mere fact that members other than myself have commented that they too believe it is an insult, indicates that you are either deep in denial, or simply too arrogant to acknowledge that it is. but then I guess it is possible that we are all dramatically oversensitive, and your the only one who can see the light.

Glad you "think" you know how the system works. I DO know because I have worked it. But let's not permit fact to get in the way of a biased agenda. So enlighten us as to what job has brainwashed you?? I ask because you say that "everyone got brainwashed at their work"

FYI. I merely, explained what often happens when the public files enough complaints. I was also intelligent enough to recognize "the agenda the chief was pushing on us". He often did what he/she was being paid to do... Their job.

Welcome back Cool.. I suspect your stay will be shorter than your last one. Class dismissed.

First of all, calling cop a pig isn't an insult. Dont be dramatic oversensitive

Second, brainwashed simply mean blinded by their job. Everyone got brainwashed at their work. Just like bankers think banking help growing economy, only the top executives know the system is flawed. A regular cop would not see what the agenda their chief pushes on him.

I believe we're all adults here you can explain that to kids.

But telling me speed traps are set because of complaints...... Please....

I know the area very well the speed limits set there purely to confuse driver. Its a heaven to collect revenue. At the end of the day, cops are seen as heroes in the name of safety!

Forgive me, but your post appears (to me) as an attempt to blame others because YOU got caught speeding.

Re: Your previous post, I made assumptions that were not justified. My apologies.

Here ends the sermon.

Last edited:
Stock exhausts on a motorcycle? I heard of such unicorns.

We had this issue in rural Ancaster, and I talked to the radar cops. They follow the noise, and they are only there hiding in the bushes typically because of local noise complaints, not because of safety concerns.
Safety is why they are in front of schools for the next few weeks.

So which is louder with the same pipe, doing 60 in 2nd or 3rd at 8,000 rpm or 80 in 5th or 6th at 4,000 rpm? Noise is a product of those who want to make noise. You want to make noise, swap out for a loud pipe and rev the carp out of it. You want to go faster? Keep your stock pipe and do it a gear or 2 up. The only places in Ontario where it makes sense running in the higher rev range is when you're working the corners on the track or in the backwoods areas further north where the roads make it worth you're while.

Unfortunately noise = speed in most Nimby's minds, and speed is much easier to enforce than noise complaints (cops vs bylaw officers who would actually need to be there to measure the noise levels when they happen). The end result is complaints which do result in lower speed limits, so thanks all you loud pipe guys. Yes, I know you aren't the only reason for complaints, but you sure make it easy.

cops don't set the limits... Politicians do
cops go where they get the complaints from...
cops do "blitzes" to appease those who complain..

people complain because they see others driving as "dangerous" Even if they drive the exact same speed....
Human nature we "think" we are safer/better drivers/riders than others...

No one EVER expects they will get into a crash...yet it happens thousands of times daily in this province.

Politicians... call the police brass...
Police brass.. call the supervisors...
Police supervisors... call the officers....
Blitz happens...lol

Blitzes have been happening since the 70's when I first started as a patrol officer.. First one was called

S elective
T raffic
E nforcement
P rogram

We were told to concentrate, on speeding and seat belts.. Oh yeah back then the ticket revenue went 100% to the province, not the police service. Which then never flowed to the department I was with, (at the time), as we were federal...lol

Politics is definitely THE factor in adjusting speed limits. Just look at Council's recent unanimous approval to drop the speed to 30 kph on every residential street in old Toronto & East York. This motion was initiated by Councillor Matlow after a completely unrelated incident (a child was killed when someone ran a stop sign), but was a result of an organized Nimby process (thank anyone who has one of those "slow down, children at play" signs on their lawn).

But don't say the police simply enforce the laws passed by Council. The police are actively involved in the "speed kills" campaign. Every time police are interviewed at an accident scene "speed was a factor" is mentioned, even if only to say "that it hasn't been determined yet if". That's a classic repetitive message marketing campaign strategy. And speed enforcement is good for the police. It's easier to charge (just set up a trap where the posted speed is well below the 85th percentile) and easier to get convictions than compared to more subjective offences that actually cause more immediate danger (unsafe lane changes as just one example). As long as any ticket revenues flow to the police services, I personally think that any officer giving evidence in court is in a conflict of interest situation. But I'm not naive. The chances of a traffic court judge setting that precedent are even lower than the chances of Council voting to raise a speed limit.

I wonder how the system would change if all traffic infraction revenue was channeled somewhere else, say transit improvements. Just think, one simple vote at the Provincial level could have profound affects. But it's guaranteed that would never make it passed the suggestion stage. Back in 2002 when Toronto Council was planning on passing a 0 increase budget across the board, I personally witnessed the armed occupation of City Hall by at least 500 police officers. They were armed and in uniform. They filled the Council Chambers and encircled the entire balcony of the rotunda and took a deliberately aggressively intimidating stance until the vote was passed. Funny thing, the police budget was the only department that saw an increase that year. It was also the first major incident that caused me to lose a lot of respect for the police. Ongoing headlines of police indiscretions (illegal or simply against police policy) and their slap on the wrist 6 months later only reinforce this opinion. Its not just the few bad apples, and yes there are also a few officers out there who are prepared to use reasonable judgement when doing their job, but its the culture that needs to be addressed. And I'm an older white guy who has never had a criminal charge laid against me and never had (at least in the last 20 years) a speeding conviction for more than 15 over. Imagine how I would feel if I was black!

So which is louder with the same pipe, doing 60 in 2nd or 3rd at 8,000 rpm or 80 in 5th or 6th at 4,000 rpm? Noise is a product of those who want to make noise. You want to make noise, swap out for a loud pipe and rev the carp out of it. You want to go faster? Keep your stock pipe and do it a gear or 2 up. The only places in Ontario where it makes sense running in the higher rev range is when you're working the corners on the track or in the backwoods areas further north where the roads make it worth you're while.

Unfortunately noise = speed in most Nimby's minds, and speed is much easier to enforce than noise complaints (cops vs bylaw officers who would actually need to be there to measure the noise levels when they happen). The end result is complaints which do result in lower speed limits, so thanks all you loud pipe guys. Yes, I know you aren't the only reason for complaints, but you sure make it easy.

Politics is definitely THE factor in adjusting speed limits. Just look at Council's recent unanimous approval to drop the speed to 30 kph on every residential street in old Toronto & East York. This motion was initiated by Councillor Matlow after a completely unrelated incident (a child was killed when someone ran a stop sign), but was a result of an organized Nimby process (thank anyone who has one of those "slow down, children at play" signs on their lawn).

But don't say the police simply enforce the laws passed by Council. The police are actively involved in the "speed kills" campaign. Every time police are interviewed at an accident scene "speed was a factor" is mentioned, even if only to say "that it hasn't been determined yet if". That's a classic repetitive message marketing campaign strategy. And speed enforcement is good for the police. It's easier to charge (just set up a trap where the posted speed is well below the 85th percentile) and easier to get convictions than compared to more subjective offences that actually cause more immediate danger (unsafe lane changes as just one example). As long as any ticket revenues flow to the police services, I personally think that any officer giving evidence in court is in a conflict of interest situation. But I'm not naive. The chances of a traffic court judge setting that precedent are even lower than the chances of Council voting to raise a speed limit.

I wonder how the system would change if all traffic infraction revenue was channeled somewhere else, say transit improvements. Just think, one simple vote at the Provincial level could have profound affects. But it's guaranteed that would never make it passed the suggestion stage. Back in 2002 when Toronto Council was planning on passing a 0 increase budget across the board, I personally witnessed the armed occupation of City Hall by at least 500 police officers. They were armed and in uniform. They filled the Council Chambers and encircled the entire balcony of the rotunda and took a deliberately aggressively intimidating stance until the vote was passed. Funny thing, the police budget was the only department that saw an increase that year. It was also the first major incident that caused me to lose a lot of respect for the police. Ongoing headlines of police indiscretions (illegal or simply against police policy) and their slap on the wrist 6 months later only reinforce this opinion. Its not just the few bad apples, and yes there are also a few officers out there who are prepared to use reasonable judgement when doing their job, but its the culture that needs to be addressed. And I'm an older white guy who has never had a criminal charge laid against me and never had (at least in the last 20 years) a speeding conviction for more than 15 over. Imagine how I would feel if I was black!

I believe that it is inappropriate for you to try and raise the race card in this topic.

Ok so feel free to post actual STATS from Ontario, (I could care less about what a California study shows as I don't live and drive/ride in California. Many US states have no helmet laws but that isn't relevant here, so why would a speed study done elsewhere be relevant here? So post STATS that either show speed was or wasn't a factor in crashes. Yes the police, CAA, Truckers Association all run and support the speed kills message. BUT the police don't say at an accident scene speed KILLS, they merely state it was A factor, not the ONLY factor. If your impaired and going 30 over and crash then there are more than one factor, but your speed is still A factor.

My point that the politicians set the speed limits is people saying it is a "cash grab" Firstly, the police don't set the rules they merely enforce them, therefore it is not a cash grab of their making. Secondly, it is like the lottery is a cash grab, BUT in both cases you have the option not to participate in the game. If you don't buy a lottery ticket, then no cash grab, if you speed within what is considered "acceptable", (generally 15 km leeway), then no cash grab

As for police choosing to do speed enforcement to the exclusion of all other charges, (which is what you implied), this simply is not the case. Normally speed enforcement is conducted on a regular basis by traffic officers. these are dedicated officers for traffic enforcement, when no investigating traffic collisions, then they do other traffic enforcement sometimes speed, sometimes seat belts sometimes distracted etc. Yes it is true it is easier to get a conviction on a speeding charge as it is black and white, (assuming the radar paperwork is in order etc). Rather than blame the police blame the crowns, and JP's, who don't want to deal with "tougher charges" and want the lowest hanging fruit charges.

Yes fine revenue currently goes PARTIALLY to the police service, some is withheld by the province for court costs etc. It takes one vote from the provnical government to change it. It was the province that changed it decades ago, it used to go 100% to the general revenue pool. The Government changed it, they have the power to change it back. So lobby your MPP. To say an individual officer is in a "conflict of interest" is not accurate. To be in a conflict of interest the officer must benefit DIRECTLY from the situation. No officer benefits directly from the collection of court fines.

Calling a police officer a pig is CERTAINLY an insult. You can try to defend it but it would be like calling a priest a pedophile. Just because some may be doesn't mean it is applicable to label all as such. It certainly is an insult to label the ones who do their job with intergrity and respect.
I'm not a cop but I never associated "pig" with nearly the same level of calling someone a pedophile. Pedophile means you have sex with children. Pig is just a slang term for cop, as far as I'm aware. Does it have much more negative connotation than that? Googling the origin basically just says it's a derogatory word for cops with no real meaning behind it beyond that. Not the nicest thing to call someone but not nearly as bad as calling someone a pedophile.

I'm not a cop but I never associated "pig" with nearly the same level of calling someone a pedophile. Pedophile means you have sex with children. Pig is just a slang term for cop, as far as I'm aware. Does it have much more negative connotation than that? Googling the origin basically just says it's a derogatory word for cops with no real meaning behind it beyond that. Not the nicest thing to call someone but not nearly as bad as calling someone a pedophile.

Actually, cop is a slang term for Police Officer. Pig is the derogatory form.

Ok so feel free to post actual STATS from Ontario, (I could care less about what a California study shows as I don't live and drive/ride in California. Many US states have no helmet laws but that isn't relevant here, so why would a speed study done elsewhere be relevant here? So post STATS that either show speed was or wasn't a factor in crashes. Yes the police, CAA, Truckers Association all run and support the speed kills message. BUT the police don't say at an accident scene speed KILLS, they merely state it was A factor, not the ONLY factor. If your impaired and going 30 over and crash then there are more than one factor, but your speed is still A factor.

My point that the politicians set the speed limits is people saying it is a "cash grab" Firstly, the police don't set the rules they merely enforce them, therefore it is not a cash grab of their making. Secondly, it is like the lottery is a cash grab, BUT in both cases you have the option not to participate in the game. If you don't buy a lottery ticket, then no cash grab, if you speed within what is considered "acceptable", (generally 15 km leeway), then no cash grab

As for police choosing to do speed enforcement to the exclusion of all other charges, (which is what you implied), this simply is not the case. Normally speed enforcement is conducted on a regular basis by traffic officers. these are dedicated officers for traffic enforcement, when no investigating traffic collisions, then they do other traffic enforcement sometimes speed, sometimes seat belts sometimes distracted etc. Yes it is true it is easier to get a conviction on a speeding charge as it is black and white, (assuming the radar paperwork is in order etc). Rather than blame the police blame the crowns, and JP's, who don't want to deal with "tougher charges" and want the lowest hanging fruit charges.

Yes fine revenue currently goes PARTIALLY to the police service, some is withheld by the province for court costs etc. It takes one vote from the provnical government to change it. It was the province that changed it decades ago, it used to go 100% to the general revenue pool. The Government changed it, they have the power to change it back. So lobby your MPP. To say an individual officer is in a "conflict of interest" is not accurate. To be in a conflict of interest the officer must benefit DIRECTLY from the situation. No officer benefits directly from the collection of court fines.

I don't necessarily like the term speed kills, but if it was changed to speed exacerbates, then many people wouldn't have a clue.

Back
Top Bottom