Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads

In each of those media reports you posted I see where each force has stated the officers remain on duty, (some in administrative duties only), WHILE THE INVESTIGATION is beign conducted. So that shows the force is indeed taking the "allegations" seriously, these officers in these cases are alledged to have committed wrong doing they have not been fully investigated nor have charges been laid, so it is indeed 'proper procedure under the collective agreements, (signed by the peoples representatives), City councils, states they should.

Or is it your contention that if an officer pulls you over and you believe they have committed a wrong doing that the force to "appear concerned" should immediately fire that officer without an investigation? Like it or not officers have the SAME rights as every other citizen, under the charter. Then of course the collective agreement has to be followed.

I would take exception to your reference to the 2002 city hall demonstration as an "armed demonstration" Typically the term armed is used when weapons are displayed and involved, (such as an armed robbery), or a shooting. I doubt any of the officers "displayed", (other than it normally is on their uniform), or unholstered, their weapon. You are certainly entitled to your interpretation of the demonstration. But the officers again did not violate any law, if you felt intimidated, did you step forward and indicate so at the time? If not what would you like to be done now 13 years later??? You stated that if i personally could identify any of the G20 officers I needed to speak up now. So the question I challenge you with is have you done so with this incident which appears to have upset you, that 13 years later your still upset by it?

Again I can't comment on the duty status of the officers at the 2002 city hall demonstration, If you were/are that concerned I am sure you have filed complaints and requested the information, so that this terrible wrong can be righted, but I am confused as to why you have "apparently" done nothing in the last 13 years??? If you felt that intimidated did you file a complaint, (which you would have been justified in doing so), immediately so the officers could be identified and disciplined?

I have ignored nothing, as you put it. But again you are trying to vastly exagerate and generalize that the actions of a VERY small percentage of officers wrong doing taints the ENTIRE profession and leads you to the conclusion that there is a culture of "self entitlement and feeling that they are above the law" Does everyone who is in your choosen profession ALWAYS act responsibly and follow every rule and regualtion? Does your profession have at least three layers of oversight? If I recall correctly you stated your in "planning" So if there are say 10,000 "planners" in North America and 50 of them have not followed every rule and reg does that mean you too must have adopted a similar "culture" There are 100's of thousand of law enforcement offciers in North America so if 500 of those (let's use the figure of 250,000 ALL levels of law enforcement officers), haven't followed the rules and regs does that mean the other 249,500 MUST also be bad?

Sorry forgot to address the hydro one case. At the time the person involved was identified and Hydro One stated they had conducted an investigation, and the employee was let go. I haven't followed it that closely but there were labour lawyers who stated at the time once the union grieved he was likely to be reinstated with compensation. i can imagine the uproar if the police service followed this example and had to rehire and compensate officers becasue they were fired as you suggest merely upon an allegation, without investigation.

I have stated categorically, that there are some officers, that have been involved in various levels of wrong doing. Not sure what more your looking for? I contend it is a comparatively small percentage. I alos submit that the vast majority of officers do the job correctly and proudly.

If your looking for a 0% result then may I suggest respectfully, your living a dream and unless you plan to replace human officers with machines which are created and programmed by an entity other than a human one, (so as to not impose human fralties into the process), to enforce our laws and regulations.

I guess you could quit your current job, take the required training and be appointed as the head of the SIU or the head of the civilian Police oversight board. Then you can personally ensure every officer is beyond reproach and only does what you have deemed to be right and correct, (including removing ALL officer discretion, and making everything in this world black and white).

I find it ironic you state people should use critical thinking to question policies and procedures yet you also advocate that same level of thinking by an officer be removed and they simply apply no discretion in doing so, 9in other words no one gets a break or a 15 km/h grace period.

I raised the 2002 armed demonstration to simply cite an incident that caused me to personally loose a lot of respect for the Toronto Police. I didn't file a complaint because I knew it wouldn't do anything and I did not want to become a target of police or police union retribution.

I have deliberately kept my references to Southern Ontario. Are you sure you want to open it up to North America on the first anniversary of the Ferguson shooting?

I have no problem with police using their discretion when it comes to enforcing speed limits, especially in areas where the posted speed is well below the 85th percentile. I'm saying its a problem when we have to rely on that discretion in order for traffic to flow properly.

You say there are a few bad apples. I say there is a culture that allows that to happen. We will have to agree to disagree.

Oh I see you didn't file a complaint as "you knew it wouldn't go anywhere" and you "feared retribution". Yet you DEMAND that an officer file a compliant? How did you judge that it would go no where? Or that you might be open to retribution? Is it also not possible for an officer not to file a complaint for those exact same reason(s)? Or is the officer immune to retribution from those who he must work with daily, in potential life and death situations? Rather selective of you to justify why you didn't file a complaint but not give the same justifications to an officer.

But did I say you had to file a complaint with TPS? There are other options, such as the police civilian oversight boards, in the view it was a "union" activity, you could have complained to the labour board, etc etc etc.

I have no issues discussing the Ferguson incident, of course I can only base my comments upon the facts. Which are the incident was investigated, The local DA stated there was insufficent evidence, to warrant criminal charges. The US dept of Justice investigated and also haven't laid any charges against the officer. What actually happened that day, is known only to those present. I wasn't there. Used to be here in Ontario, the force itself would investigate it's own officers. Then we as citizens said that wasn't an acceptable option so the SIU was created. So that brings us back to my comment earlier if the public feels an officer has done wrong then we have system to investigate. If that system then decide not to proceed that is NOT an issue or result of the local police service but a systematic failure of that investigative system, (SIU, Crowns, who fail to file charges, and citizens who fail to convict).

So explain how speed limits are an issue for the police? The police do NOT set the speed limits, they are merely tasked to enforce the speed limits which are set by traffic engineers and dare I say it PLANNERS..lol

Your right we will agree to disagree, as I HAVE been on the inside and my personal experience is NOT that there exists a culture within the system that says "I can do wrong simply because i am a cop and "above the law". That isn't to say "some officers" don't believe that, but those are the small minority and not the majority. By defintiion to be a "culture" one would expect it to be accepted or perceived by the majority.

I raised the 2002 armed demonstration to simply cite an incident that caused me to personally loose a lot of respect for the Toronto Police. I didn't file a complaint because I knew it wouldn't do anything and I did not want to become a target of police or police union retribution.

I have deliberately kept my references to Southern Ontario. Are you sure you want to open it up to North America on the first anniversary of the Ferguson shooting?

I have no problem with police using their discretion when it comes to enforcing speed limits, especially in areas where the posted speed is well below the 85th percentile. I'm saying its a problem when we have to rely on that discretion in order for traffic to flow properly.

You say there are a few bad apples. I say there is a culture that allows that to happen. We will have to agree to disagree.

A lime green Lamborghini Murchialogo just got busted on the weekend doing 170km/hr on the 407. I bet he wishes he got a $6,000 SS bike instead in hopes of outrunning the 5-0.

Oh I see you didn't file a complaint as "you knew it wouldn't go anywhere" and you "feared retribution". Yet you DEMAND that an officer file a compliant? How did you judge that it would go no where? Or that you might be open to retribution? Is it also not possible for an officer not to file a complaint for those exact same reason(s)? Or is the officer immune to retribution from those who he must work with daily, in potential life and death situations? Rather selective of you to justify why you didn't file a complaint but not give the same justifications to an officer.

But did I say you had to file a complaint with TPS? There are other options, such as the police civilian oversight boards, in the view it was a "union" activity, you could have complained to the labour board, etc etc etc.

I have no issues discussing the Ferguson incident, of course I can only base my comments upon the facts. Which are the incident was investigated, The local DA stated there was insufficent evidence, to warrant criminal charges. The US dept of Justice investigated and also haven't laid any charges against the officer. What actually happened that day, is known only to those present. I wasn't there. Used to be here in Ontario, the force itself would investigate it's own officers. Then we as citizens said that wasn't an acceptable option so the SIU was created. So that brings us back to my comment earlier if the public feels an officer has done wrong then we have system to investigate. If that system then decide not to proceed that is NOT an issue or result of the local police service but a systematic failure of that investigative system, (SIU, Crowns, who fail to file charges, and citizens who fail to convict).

So explain how speed limits are an issue for the police? The police do NOT set the speed limits, they are merely tasked to enforce the speed limits which are set by traffic engineers and dare I say it PLANNERS..lol

Your right we will agree to disagree, as I HAVE been on the inside and my personal experience is NOT that there exists a culture within the system that says "I can do wrong simply because i am a cop and "above the law". That isn't to say "some officers" don't believe that, but those are the small minority and not the majority. By defintiion to be a "culture" one would expect it to be accepted or perceived by the majority.

I'm glad to see that you agree that it is not unjustified for either a member of the public or a police officer to fear retribution for launching a formal complaint, or identifying, or giving evidence against a police officer. I'm just saddened that you think that's okay, and not a symptom of a problem within the police culture.

A number of years back I was in a car with a police officer who was a friend, and another friend who was driving. She got pulled over and my police officer friend simply flashed his badge and assured the officer that she was not speeding. The officer then said that we could go. Have you ever flashed your badge to get out of a ticket? From what I hear, its a rare case that an officer would ever give a fellow officer a ticket for something less than impaired or HTA 172. Please don't tell me that there's no culture of entitlement.

In a municipal situation, there is a by-law that governs the general speed on all streets within the City, usually 50 kph. When new subdivisions are implemented, that speed automatically applies. When new arterial roads are implemented, Engineering staff will include a recommendation for a different speed if they deem it appropriate. Usually it would be 60 kph on a multiple lane arterial without single residential driveways fronting it. Council would approve or change that recommendation, and Council brings forward any changes in response to public comments. Virtually all reductions are a political decision as a result of community complaints. Often those are against the recommendation of staff, like the recent approval of 30 kph on all residential streets in the old Cities of Toronto & East York. If it were up to the engineers and planners, we would have speeds at the 85th percentile and cops would have far fewer fishing holes.

As I said before, I am in support of the police using discretion when enforcing speed limits. I suspect that there would be a whole lot more discretion used if revenues from speeding fines were directed to something other than police budgets, i.e. transit funding. Without the financial incentive police discretion would be better able to balance against political priorities. Stupid rules get ignored when no one bothers to enforce them. Even though there's a Toronto by-law prohibiting the washing of your car in your driveway, I don't know if anyone has ever been charged for it. Similar to the road hockey by-law. When someone is charged, it becomes a public joke. But police continue to receive funding from speeding revenue and police continue to market the "speed is a factor" campaign. Until that changes, you cannot simply say that police are "merely tasked to enforce the speed limits". They have a vested interest in its enforcement.

Forgot to respond to your Ferguson comments. Your notion of facts about the incident seem to be different than the general public. Fact - a police officer shot an unarmed man in the back while he was running away. The man was far enough away that the officer's life was not in danger at the time he was shot. Those facts were clearly shown in the Youtube video. Potential contributing factors include the race of the officer and the man shot, the demographics of the police force compared to the City, plus the long history of racial tensions in the area. So given those facts, I think the public and the country have a reason to be concerned as to why the DA was unable to find sufficient evidence to warrant criminal charges. But you're all good with it and the public down there should just settle down and get on with their lives knowing that justice has been done. Now who's the one looking at the world as black and white?

Last edited:
There's a big difference between opening a debate and questioning rules within your own culture, and travelling somewhere and not respecting the culture of where you are. I've traveled a fair bit and for example I would never insist on keeping my shoes on when in a mosque. But that doesn't mean you have to accept everything as "right" just because others believe it. I had a very interesting religious discussion with an Imam in Turkey who actually raised the question about atheism, with an honest intent to understand it better. We both left that discussion better informed and better able to evaluate our own beliefs.

I don't consider driving at or just above the flow of traffic to be an act of protest. It's just doing what comes naturally to most people and its a symptom of a flawed system when that is 15 or 20 kph over the posted limit, and you need to watch out for some cop who is bored or looking to fill a quota. Cars and motorcycles are continually being developed with better suspensions, braking and safety systems allowing people to be more comfortable driving at faster speeds (leading to a higher 85th percentile). Road capacity (which is measured in vehicles per hour) increases with speed, and with the growth we are experiencing, increased capacity is needed. But speed limits are generally being lowered, mostly for political reasons. And those few people who actually take speed limits literally, are the ones who cause the most disruption to the flow of traffic. Dangerous situations are not necessarily a result of higher speed, but of a differential in speed. So if you want to make things safer, you're better off raising the speed limit to the 85th percentile. (see the studies referred to in my Youtube link above).

Got to be honest here, I don't know anyone that's been ticketed for speeding if they are travelling with the flow of the traffic. I do know plenty of people that got ticketed for flying past said traffic at a fair rate of knots. As Baggsy said before, I usually wait for my own personal "decoy" to appear and hey presto. All is well with the world.

A lime green Lamborghini Murchialogo just got busted on the weekend doing 170km/hr on the 407. I bet he wishes he got a $6,000 SS bike instead in hopes of outrunning the 5-0.
Anyone in a lime green billboard doing stupid **** on the 407 deserves whatever they get. That's called a stupid jackass operating an automobile. Time and a place.... something people today seem to not understand.

A beige Camry is a better choice than a lime green Lamborghini for doing that ...

^That's right, just ask anyone of colour.

I have never said it was unjustified for an officer or a civilain to be concerned abotu filing a complaint. I merely pointed out that you were the one demanding that officers step forward and that I speak up, (if I knew the G20 officers identity), yet you are unprepared to accept the same level of responsibility. I was taught as a very young officer as I was being prepared for a supervisory role, that one should never ask something of another person that they themselves aren't prepared to do themselves.

I didn't comment on weather the shooting in Ferguson was justified, because I wasn't there, and I don't know all the facts. As loneronin pointed out things don't always coincide, with what we may see at first blush. We have a system in place if that system is flawed, then let's discusss fixing that system rather than blaming the police who didn't create the system nor have any control over the system, that is at the heart of the failure. But of course it is easier to place the blame on the "police culture", rather than where it actually belongs. Just as many blame the police for "artificially" low speed limits that the police had no control over the setting of. I never posted I am "good with it", rather that I am prepared to let the "system" do it's job. If that system failed then that is not a police issue as the police don't control that system.

As for the racial make up of the department, that has long been an issue, some departments have made great advancements in the area of hiring, (which I might point out is actually approved by city council and civilian Human Resources departments. (so those departments also bear a portion of responsibility). Hell when I first was hired it wasn't for almost 1 year before our department got it's first ever female officer. I was proud to step up and be selected to be the training officer for her.

I have never "flashed my badge" to avoid a ticket. During my career I was ticketed twice, once outside Ottawa by the OPP, and once outside of Fredericton, by the NBHP, (when it was still in existance). I personally have ticketed three police officers, charged another for a criminal offence, (not driving related), who was a junior officer in the detachment where I was stationed at the time. I also filed a formal internal complaint about use of force against two officers. One was reprimanded, the other received disciplinary action and was removed from active duty and later reassigned to clerical duties. But I agree, at times officers are given breaks as are EMS and Fire personnel by officers. I freely admit I have given breaks to all three professions on minor speeding offences, (But I have also given breaks to members of the public, who were doing the exact same speeds), so I didn't give the breaks as a result of a perceived "entitlement culture" but rather because I as an officer exercised that very discretion we have discussed. Now are there officers who will give a fellow officer a "pass", I am sure there are, do store clerks give their co-workers price breaks at times? I have seen it done, do hair stylists give other stylist breaks? I have witnessed it. etc etc etc. It is just a matter of human nature that we treat others that we identify with a break. It is not limited only to the poilce profession.

As for racial tensions, they exist in every corner of this world. It has been this way for centuries, (not just police and population tensions), but religious, cultural, and ethnic tensions. Again this is a byproduct of human nature, it is not confined to your oft quoted "police culture". I don't have an answer as to how to change it, but let's not forget it takes two sides for it to exist. So while the police, (if we confine the discussion to police, population tensions), are on one side then the population is the other side of the equation and must also be an active participant. Just as the old saying goes it takes two to tango, very difficult to have a single sided fight...lol

But not sure how racial tensions apply to the speed enforcement, in Burlington. I haven't seen any media reports suggesting that only a specific segment of society is being "targeted" by the local officers.

I'm glad to see that you agree that it is not unjustified for either a member of the public or a police officer to fear retribution for launching a formal complaint, or identifying, or giving evidence against a police officer. I'm just saddened that you think that's okay, and not a symptom of a problem within the police culture.

A number of years back I was in a car with a police officer who was a friend, and another friend who was driving. She got pulled over and my police officer friend simply flashed his badge and assured the officer that she was not speeding. The officer then said that we could go. Have you ever flashed your badge to get out of a ticket? From what I hear, its a rare case that an officer would ever give a fellow officer a ticket for something less than impaired or HTA 172. Please don't tell me that there's no culture of entitlement.

In a municipal situation, there is a by-law that governs the general speed on all streets within the City, usually 50 kph. When new subdivisions are implemented, that speed automatically applies. When new arterial roads are implemented, Engineering staff will include a recommendation for a different speed if they deem it appropriate. Usually it would be 60 kph on a multiple lane arterial without single residential driveways fronting it. Council would approve or change that recommendation, and Council brings forward any changes in response to public comments. Virtually all reductions are a political decision as a result of community complaints. Often those are against the recommendation of staff, like the recent approval of 30 kph on all residential streets in the old Cities of Toronto & East York. If it were up to the engineers and planners, we would have speeds at the 85th percentile and cops would have far fewer fishing holes.

As I said before, I am in support of the police using discretion when enforcing speed limits. I suspect that there would be a whole lot more discretion used if revenues from speeding fines were directed to something other than police budgets, i.e. transit funding. Without the financial incentive police discretion would be better able to balance against political priorities. Stupid rules get ignored when no one bothers to enforce them. Even though there's a Toronto by-law prohibiting the washing of your car in your driveway, I don't know if anyone has ever been charged for it. Similar to the road hockey by-law. When someone is charged, it becomes a public joke. But police continue to receive funding from speeding revenue and police continue to market the "speed is a factor" campaign. Until that changes, you cannot simply say that police are "merely tasked to enforce the speed limits". They have a vested interest in its enforcement.

Forgot to respond to your Ferguson comments. Your notion of facts about the incident seem to be different than the general public. Fact - a police officer shot an unarmed man in the back while he was running away. The man was far enough away that the officer's life was not in danger at the time he was shot. Those facts were clearly shown in the Youtube video. Potential contributing factors include the race of the officer and the man shot, the demographics of the police force compared to the City, plus the long history of racial tensions in the area. So given those facts, I think the public and the country have a reason to be concerned as to why the DA was unable to find sufficient evidence to warrant criminal charges. But you're all good with it and the public down there should just settle down and get on with their lives knowing that justice has been done. Now who's the one looking at the world as black and white?

Last edited:
I have never said it was unjustified for an officer or a civilain to be concerned abotu filing a complaint. I merely pointed out that you were the one demanding that officers step forward and that I speak up, (if I knew the G20 officers identity), yet you are unprepared to accept the same level of responsibility. I was taught as a very young officer as I was being prepared for a supervisory role, that one should never ask something of another person that they themselves aren't prepared to do themselves.

I didn't comment on weather the shooting in Ferguson was justified, because I wasn't there, and I don't know all the facts. As loneronin pointed out things don't always coincide, with what we may see at first blush. We have a system in place if that system is flawed, then let's discusss fixing that system rather than blaming the police who didn't create the system nor have any control over the system, that is at the heart of the failure. But of course it is easier to place the blame on the "police culture", rather than where it actually belongs. Just as many blame the police for "artificially" low speed limits that the police had no control over the setting of. I never posted I am "good with it", rather that I am prepared to let the "system" do it's job. If that system failed then that is not a police issue as the police don't control that system.

As for the racial make up of the department, that has long been an issue, some departments have made great advancements in the area of hiring, (which I might point out is actually approved by city council and civilian Human Resources departments. (so those departments also bear a portion of responsibility). Hell when I first was hired it wasn't for almost 1 year before our department got it's first ever female officer. I was proud to step up and be selected to be the training officer for her.

I have never "flashed my badge" to avoid a ticket. During my career I was ticketed twice, once outside Ottawa by the OPP, and once outside of Fredericton, by the NBHP, (when it was still in existance). I personally have ticketed three police officers, charged another for a criminal offence, (not driving related), who was a junior officer in the detachment where I was stationed at the time. I also filed a formal internal complaint about use of force against two officers. One was reprimanded, the other received disciplinary action and was removed from active duty and later reassigned to clerical duties. But I agree, at times officers are given breaks as are EMS and Fire personnel by officers. I freely admit I have given breaks to all three professions on minor speeding offences, (But I have also given breaks to members of the public, who were doing the exact same speeds), so I didn't give the breaks as a result of a perceived "entitlement culture" but rather because I as an officer exercised that very discretion we have discussed. Now are there officers who will give a fellow officer a "pass", I am sure there are, do store clerks give their co-workers price breaks at times? I have seen it done, do hair stylists give other stylist breaks? I have witnessed it. etc etc etc. It is just a matter of human nature that we treat others that we identify with a break. It is not limited only to the poilce profession.

As for racial tensions, they exist in every corner of this world. It has been this way for centuries, (not just police and population tensions), but religious, cultural, and ethnic tensions. Again this is a byproduct of human nature, it is not confined to your oft quoted "police culture". I don't have an answer as to how to change it, but let's not forget it takes two sides for it to exist. So while the police, (if we confine the discussion to police, population tensions), are on one side then the population is the other side of the equation and must also be an active participant. Just as the old saying goes it takes two to tango, very difficult to have a single sided fight...lol

But not sure how racial tensions apply to the speed enforcement, in Burlington. I haven't seen any media reports suggesting that only a specific segment of society is being "targeted" by the local officers.

So I guess we're both hypocrites, or realists, depending on your perspective. You express frustration that members of a community won't identify thugs within their own community (Musik shooting for example) but you accept why members of the police community won't identify their own thugs (the 11 unidentified officers in the Adam Nobody beating). And I don't wish to draw attention to myself and face possible retribution for filing a complaint against police officers, but I would like to see the system improved so that officers are held more accountable. But in both cases, there's an acknowledgement of problems within the police system, or do you think the risk of retribution is acceptable.

Yes there are also problems in certain communities, but if the police want to play a roll in improving those situations, there needs to be trust in the system, which includes the police. The police investigate crimes and uncover the evidence DA's use to convict the accused. If insufficient evidence isn't there for a conviction, or if the evidence is tainted because of actions by the police, or constitutional rights have been violated in obtaining the evidence, it isn't the DA's fault. I find it naive or delusional that you think there are problems within the rest of the system, but not the police component of it. If the majority of police officers and brass feel the same way, then its understandable why change happens so slowly. Like they say in AA, the first step to managing the problem is to recognize that you have one.

Regarding the use of force complaints you filed, if you witnessed that level of force being used by one civilian against another, would you have arrested the perpetrator for assault? Were either officers charged with assault? Based on what you said, both kept their police jobs (one modified) and I assume neither faced a criminal trail or jail time. So yes, there may be 3 levels of accountability for police, but the end result is generally that police are not held to the same standard that the public is held. Yes you can say the police are often put into difficult situations, but there are rules to govern their behavior in those situations. If the rules allow the police to break the law in order to enforce it, or prescribe lesser penalties than the public would face, then I believe that undermines the laws themselves and the credibility of those who enforce them.

I'm glad to see that you have never expected (or asked for) a break on a ticket from another officer, and you have never given a break to an officer, that you would not have given to any citizen behaving reasonably. You truly were a unique cop. But if that's the case, I don't see how you can equate not filing a charge under the HTA with an employee discount. Is exemption from lesser infractions under the HTA really an appropriate employee discount for members of the police force, and if so, how can that not be part of a culture of entitlement?

You are drawing conclusions that have not been stated:

i didn't express frustration with members of a community that won't identify wrong doers and accept it is ok for officers not to identify. I DID state that it is fair to accept that both groups should be placed upon a level field, and may have their differing reasons for not identifying. If members of one group won't identify for whatever reason, (your example was that you didn't do it for fear of retribution), all I am suggesting is that officers be afforded the same level of understanding. I can recognize that there are times when it would be in the best interest of a citizen not to step forward, and I can also acknowledge that there are similiar situations why an officer may not step forward. I don't accept that officers simply do it because they can. Clearly those that wrote the legislation governing the SIU also recognized this because they wrote it so that an officer can't be "compelled" to step up just as there is no legislation that "compels" a citizen to step up. Level playing field.

I didn't say police can't be responsible for the withdrawal of charges, (the media report on these when they happen), but I did say that if a Crown, (DA is a US term), decides not to pursue charges against an officer then that has nothing to do with the police as it is normally not the result of an internal investigation but rather an investigation cinducted by the SIU. Hence it is not as a result of a police action. As for recognizing that a problem exists. I have never said there are issues with the system including the SIU, Crowns, and civilian jurors, I have also stated categorically that there are officers who commit wrong doings. So I am neither dillusuional nor do I have a problem recognizing a problem exists. The various Police Chiefs recently have acknowledged issues and even the police union has acknowledged issues both within their own service as well as serious flaws with the SIU.

As for the level of force used would I have arrested a civilian, for assault? Not in either case. I would have conducted and investigation, and if warranted laid charges. A police officer rarely "arrests" someone for assault, we may file charges but rarely arrest. In order to effect an arrest you must meet specific criteria, one of which is it likely the offence will continue if the accused is not arrested, if it isn't then no arrest is required.

These officers were treated in exactly the same manner as I would have with a civilian. I filed a complaint, (as is standard procedure), because I was the witness I can not also be the investigating authority. The officers faced and investigation and were then dealt with via police service act charges, (because the offence didn't raise to a level of criminality, as determined by the investing authority). So in essence a civilian wouldn't have faced charges either. The officers were in essenece held to a higher standard, and were given penalties which were deemed sufficent to the offence. Just as you wouldn't lose your job if you were charged with assault, (unless it was a condition of your employment contract. The police actually have more rules that govern their conduct than does a citizen. A citizen has the HTA or Criminal code or other various statues, but they only face ONE penalty. An officer can face Police Services Act charges and be given a second penalty for the same offence, so in essence if the offence warrants it the officers are held to a higher standard, then your average citizen is.

If an accountant steals $50,000 from their employer we generally don't hear about it, because the media deems it not "news worthy", but if an officer were to steal $50 we hear about about it because the media deems it news worthy. If a civic employee gets in a fight, (on or off duty), we don't normally hear about it, but we do when an officer is involved. So yes officers are held, (at least by the media to a higher standard. I am not saying it is a bad thing, just pointing it out.

Also police have a unique job. I doubt people walk into the planning department and start cussing you out, calling you names or spitting or assaulting you simply because of your job. This happens to officers, daily, just as it occasionally happens to a TTC operator. If someone punches a TTC operator it makes the news, if someone puches a cop, not so much, unless of course the cop punches them back..lol

I didn't say the an employee discount is equivalent to not facing an HTA charge. I merely pointed out that humans generally tend to give a break to others in a group they identify with.

But let's examine your example carefully. The officer who stopped the car didn't actually give a break in strict technical terms to the officer in the vehicle he gave the break to the driver who was not an officer. Prior to knowing that an officer was in the car did the officer conducting the stop state that a ticket was going to be issued? Unless you questioned the officer conducting the stop how do you know that he wasn't already predisposed to giving the driver a break? I ususally had made the decision as to how I was going to proceed, (ticket or break) before I even approached the driver. Now if i am made aware that an officer was in the vehicle, that may or may not have an effect on my applying my discretion, as I have said officers are human. But merely the existence of an officer didn't trigger an automated response of a break. Did the driver or anyone in the vehicle object, that a warning was issued, (or was the driver and yourself pleased that no ticket was issued? Surely if it is improper then someone should have stepped up?

So I guess we're both hypocrites, or realists, depending on your perspective. You express frustration that members of a community won't identify thugs within their own community (Musik shooting for example) but you accept why members of the police community won't identify their own thugs (the 11 unidentified officers in the Adam Nobody beating). And I don't wish to draw attention to myself and face possible retribution for filing a complaint against police officers, but I would like to see the system improved so that officers are held more accountable. But in both cases, there's an acknowledgement of problems within the police system, or do you think the risk of retribution is acceptable.

Yes there are also problems in certain communities, but if the police want to play a roll in improving those situations, there needs to be trust in the system, which includes the police. The police investigate crimes and uncover the evidence DA's use to convict the accused. If insufficient evidence isn't there for a conviction, or if the evidence is tainted because of actions by the police, or constitutional rights have been violated in obtaining the evidence, it isn't the DA's fault. I find it naive or delusional that you think there are problems within the rest of the system, but not the police component of it. If the majority of police officers and brass feel the same way, then its understandable why change happens so slowly. Like they say in AA, the first step to managing the problem is to recognize that you have one.

Regarding the use of force complaints you filed, if you witnessed that level of force being used by one civilian against another, would you have arrested the perpetrator for assault? Were either officers charged with assault? Based on what you said, both kept their police jobs (one modified) and I assume neither faced a criminal trail or jail time. So yes, there may be 3 levels of accountability for police, but the end result is generally that police are not held to the same standard that the public is held. Yes you can say the police are often put into difficult situations, but there are rules to govern their behavior in those situations. If the rules allow the police to break the law in order to enforce it, or prescribe lesser penalties than the public would face, then I believe that undermines the laws themselves and the credibility of those who enforce them.

I'm glad to see that you have never expected (or asked for) a break on a ticket from another officer, and you have never given a break to an officer, that you would not have given to any citizen behaving reasonably. You truly were a unique cop. But if that's the case, I don't see how you can equate not filing a charge under the HTA with an employee discount. Is exemption from lesser infractions under the HTA really an appropriate employee discount for members of the police force, and if so, how can that not be part of a culture of entitlement?

Last edited:
Can you guys use less words in this discussion? Trying to keep up is exhausting

No its about good vs evil , the battle for world peace and global domination, and the gravitational pull of the moon.

So Hedo, in response to the request to keep the words to a minimum, please clarify how much violence is required for one officer to launch a successful excessive use of force complaint against another officer, but is not enough to justify (raise to the level of criminality) the laying of charges of assault (either against a civilian or police officer as you say they are held to the same standards)? A punch to the gut, but not to the head? 1 kick in the ribs when someone is down is okay, but 10 are not? What about a knee to the nuts? Joining the line-up to fall down the stairs?

Last edited:
So Hedo, in response to the request to keep the words to a minimum, please clarify how much violence is required for one officer to launch a successful excessive use of force complaint against another officer, but is not enough to justify (raise to the level of criminality) the laying of charges of assault (either against a civilian or police officer as you say they are held to the same standards)? A punch to the gut, but not to the head? 1 kick in the ribs when someone is down is okay, but 10 are not? What about a knee to the nuts? Joining the line-up to fall down the stairs?

One was a simple shove, when none was required, the accused person wasn't handcuffed or anything. But I being a supervior viewed it as unnecessary. The second one involved a physical confrontation between the accused and two officers. I felt the officer overstepped by using his knee to hold the accused down while the first officer was applying the cuffs. The shove resulted in a reprimand being placed on the officers file, (which would come into play for promotions etc). So "could" have considerable financial implications. The second the officer had at the time just been promoted to an "acting" position, This was stripped, he was placed on administrative duties, and was transferred to a post which was basically sitting at a desk guarding a facility for a three year stint. Both of these resulted in financial penalties which FAR exceeded ANYTHING a court would have imposed. I should also add that neither citizen involved had filed a complaint, (in fact the shoved one was asked, as a supervisor it was my duty to ask if he wanted to file a complaint), he laughed and said what for I deserved it I was being a jerk, I am actually surprised he didn't kick my ***. But I still dealt with it as I saw fit.

But as has been pointed out, this thread has gotten way too far off track so I will leave it at that.

But as has been pointed out, this thread has gotten way too far off track so I will leave it at that.

Agreed, this has run its course. Good debate. For me it was an interesting look into the mind of a cop, and I think it sounds like you were one of the better ones.

:happy1: wow.. I missed quite a bit over the past few days.. lots of reading!

Back
Top Bottom