Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads

greg88

Site Supporter
just an FYI

[h=1]Hundreds ofspeeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads [/h]
[h=2]RADAR [/h]GettyImages
Police enforcethe speed limit in this file photo

Halton Regional Police issued twice as many tickets todrivers in rural Burlington this past July than they did for the same monthlast year — with the majority of the offence notices for speeding.
The Reducing Rural Speeds Project is continuingthroughout the summer in the city's north end, above Dundas Street, but thefirst month of results show double the tickets issued compared to the same timein 2014.

Police handed out 460 provincial offence notices todrivers in rural Burlington between July 1-Aug. 1 this year, an average of 14per day, with 363 of that total for speeding.
There were 230 tickets given out for the same monthlast year, the majority again for speeding.
"Most people are easily doing 20 or 30 (kilometresper hour) over the speed limit," Sgt. Jared McLeod of the BurlingtonDistrict Response Unit said of drivers stopped by police in rural Burlington.
He said police receive many complaints from ruralresidents about drivers in their area.
Most of the speeders are on the main arterial roads inthe north end, such as Appleby, Walker's and Guelph lines plus Cedar SpringsRoad and No. 1 Side Road.
The speed limit in the rural area can be as low as 40km-h in some places and as high as 80 km-h along portions of the mainnorth-south thoroughfares.
There was just one charge for stunt driving, going 50km-h or more over the posted limit, with a driver being clocked going 119 km-hin a 60 km-h zone.
That individual, a 52-year-old Burlington man, faces arash of other charges including blowing in the warning range for blood alcoholcontent (BAC), failing to stop for police, driving while suspended, drivingwithout insurance and having open liquor in a vehicle.
Another driver almost reached the threshold for stuntdriving being clocked doing 108 km-h in a 60 km-h zone. That person was given a$358 ticket and four licence demerit points.
Among the almost 100 non-speeding tickets handed out bypolice in July, most were for infractions like distracted driving (cellphoneuse), not using a seatbelt or having no insurance.
"For many years the residents of rural Burlingtonhave expressed concerns regarding the speeds travelled by vehicles in theircommunities," stated a Halton police press release.
Speed enforcement projects have occurred annually undervarious names (BEARS in the Woods, BRRaKE).
"Speed enforcement on rural roadways has indicatedthat a significant portion of the problem is from commuters using rural routesto avoid more heavily travelled main thoroughfares such as Hwy. 401, Hwy. 6,Hwy. 403, the QEW and Dundas Street," added the press release.
"In order to increase safety it is necessary forthe public to recognize that speeding is unacceptable and can have catastrophicrepercussions…."
Police say anyone who wants to report a traffic concerncan visit itswebsite and register a complaint through Road Watch.
Road Watch is a community driven program encouraginganonymous reporting of incidents involving dangerous and/or aggressive driving.
Burlington Post

By Andy | AUGUST 06, 2015 11:42AM
Not surprising, the entire area is a total cash cow for copswith nothing better to do. Speed limits vary every couple of km for no apparentreason, pure and simple entrapment
0 2 Report as Offensive
( Page 1 of 1 )

"Most people are easily doing 20 or 30 (kilometresper hour) over the speed limit," Sgt. Jared McLeod of the BurlingtonDistrict Response Unit said of drivers stopped by police in rural Burlington.

...so much for the 85th percentile

There are a number of roads in that area for which the posted speed limit makes no logical sense. Cash grab. I don't know what the significance of their "speed enforcement project is", because I've seen cops hanging out on Appleby or Walkers at any time of year. The last ticket I had was on No 1 side road in my car, and I think it was in November (a few years ago).

There are a number of roads in that area for which the posted speed limit makes no logical sense. Cash grab. I don't know what the significance of their "speed enforcement project is", because I've seen cops hanging out on Appleby or Walkers at any time of year. The last ticket I had was on No 1 side road in my car, and I think it was in November (a few years ago).

A lot of those areas seem to co-inside with large mansions and powerful NIMBYs... So many roads parallel to major arteries (like Heart Lake Road heading to Orangeville) or roads parallel to the 400 all have 60kph speed limits despite being long straight and wide roads.

It used to be that any rural road had an 80 or 90kph limit (depending on county), what happened?

It was refreshing to ride in Huron County last weekend. The limit on the side roads is 90kph there. What makes Huron County roads safer than the roads north of the GTA which are all 70 or 80?

A lot of those areas seem to co-inside with large mansions and powerful NIMBYs... So many roads parallel to major arteries (like Heart Lake Road heading to Orangeville) or roads parallel to the 400 all have 60kph speed limits despite being long straight and wide roads.

It used to be that any rural road had an 80 or 90kph limit (depending on county), what happened?

Political pressure from said NIMBYs, in many cases. Ontario has nothing in place to counter those effects. There are guidelines but nothing to force municipalities to follow them or to do the engineering studies that are supposed to be done. Speed limits can be set on a whim by local councils voting to do so. Only thing they can't do is set it higher than 90 or less than 40.

There are other regions - notably, California, but many other areas in the US as well - in which that speed study has the force of law. The posted limit has to be within a certain margin (rounding) of the 85th-percentile free-traffic-flow measurements, within certain limits. But ... not here.

I wonder what percentage of those NIMBYs follow their own arbitrary low speed limits when they are travelling through someone else's neighborhood. I recall Halton doing a study some years ago after complaints about "speeding" on certain roads (which have low speed limits) and they found that something like 90% of the speeders were local residents in their own cars - not the outsiders that the very same people were complaining about. Haven't seen over-the-top enforcement in that area since ...

It was refreshing to ride in Huron County last weekend. The limit on the side roads is 90kph there. What makes Huron County roads safer than the roads north of the GTA which are all 70 or 80?

I know the area you are talking about. For one thing, lower traffic volume. For another, that area is filled with flat, straight roads.

80 is supposed to be the default for roads like that. The municipality has to vote to make it otherwise. Given the "speed kills" mentality of many bureaucrats etc., it's not often that the limit gets set higher than the default.

Dodged a major bullet there as Burlington/Waterdown is the gateway to Belfountain GP. Yesterday doing probably 10-15 over on Sixth Line all seemed fine until lady pulled out of driveway and froze in my lane. If I'd hit her it would have been her fault, I think. So that's good. If it were easy and fun to drive slow we'd all be doing it.

***** moved in there and had kids and then whined that the limit is too high because their kids will get hit by cars. Basically the world is turning into a bunch of idiots.

***** moved in there and had kids and then whined that the limit is too high because their kids will get hit by cars. Basically the world is turning into a bunch of idiots.

meanwhile its the same ***** that drive above the posted limit ;-)

Yes, not like the geniuses who tool around those roads with their Akras well into the night.

This isn't about kids, it's about people subjected to noise insults by self-entitled a-holes.

Yes, not like the geniuses who tool around those roads with their Akras well into the night.

This isn't about kids, it's about people subjected to noise insults by self-entitled a-holes.
I would be surprised if many of those speeders caught had aftermarket exhausts.

But I do agree, noisy disks give us all a bad name. Don't try to tell them that, though, or they'll rage.

But I do agree, noisy disks give us all a bad name. Don't try to tell them that, though, or they'll rage.

Dont buy Seagate, and if you can afford go all solid states

Stock exhausts on a motorcycle? I heard of such unicorns.

We had this issue in rural Ancaster, and I talked to the radar cops. They follow the noise, and they are only there hiding in the bushes typically because of local noise complaints, not because of safety concerns.
Safety is why they are in front of schools for the next few weeks.

cops don't set the limits... Politicians do
cops go where they get the complaints from...
cops do "blitzes" to appease those who complain..

people complain because they see others driving as "dangerous" Even if they drive the exact same speed....
Human nature we "think" we are safer/better drivers/riders than others...

No one EVER expects they will get into a crash...yet it happens thousands of times daily in this province.

Politicians... call the police brass...
Police brass.. call the supervisors...
Police supervisors... call the officers....
Blitz happens...lol

Blitzes have been happening since the 70's when I first started as a patrol officer.. First one was called

S elective
T raffic
E nforcement
P rogram

We were told to concentrate, on speeding and seat belts.. Oh yeah back then the ticket revenue went 100% to the province, not the police service. Which then never flowed to the department I was with, (at the time), as we were federal...lol

Um, nice catch?

Oops. I'm going to leave that error because I don't care.

No offence taken? You just called someone a brainwashed pig. I'm offended and not even the recipient of this insult.

First of all, calling cop a pig isn't an insult. Dont be dramatic oversensitive

Second, brainwashed simply mean blinded by their job. Everyone got brainwashed at their work. Just like bankers think banking help growing economy, only the top executives know the system is flawed. A regular cop would not see what the agenda their chief pushes on him.

You are aware that at the start of the shift, the sgt. assigns duties.
George, you have the Orangeville shift.
Dalrene, you have the Davis Dr shift.
Frank, take the radar gun and do Hart Lake Rd. for speeders.
The speed limits are clearly posted. If you choose to go faster than the limit, we all know the penalties.
NO, I'm not a brainwashed pig.

I believe we're all adults here you can explain that to kids.

But telling me speed traps are set because of complaints...... Please....

I know the area very well the speed limits set there purely to confuse driver. Its a heaven to collect revenue. At the end of the day, cops are seen as heroes in the name of safety!

Unless you are a police officer, who are you to decide what is or is not an insult.
You sound like one of those smug obnoxiously arrogant millenials who thinks that getting a speeding ticket is the cop's fault.
But that's not an insult.

Back
Top Bottom