Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hundreds of speeders nabbed by police on rural Burlington roads

Why oh why does every single thread that has the word 'police' in it always end up as a FTP one ?????

Because some people only believe everyone else is to balme for their poor interactions couldn't possibly be them..lol Take no responsibilty for oneself. yet somehow the majority of us seem to get through life without negative consequences or interactions..lol So FTP, it has to be them to blame for all the evil of the world...

The alternative, (grow up be responsible and take responsibility), is a foreign concept to a few of those special snowflakes...lol

Actually sometimes Cool's post were coherent..lol Once a troll always a troll.. Ignore list is SOOOO nice.

Just a curiosity officer.... I mean former officer.

Were you laid off? Administrative leave or retired?

Oh i know you read this post too. You just can't resist it hence the question above.... Can't imagine an old retired dude spend the rest of his time online debating and "educating" ppl ( crying about trolling) One thing I'm sure you missed that badge.

Good, they didn't get me

I live there so i know all their spots. Its every hard for out of region drivers to keep tracking between 60 and 80 zone that they stupidly make. Cops here know how to get their quota up.

The increase in tickets are due to drivers passing by avoided busy 400s

Saying these spots are there because of complaints is naive or even dumb.

No citizens don't need to know every law in the book, just look at shootings like the one at the night club the other night on the CNE grounds are the witnesses lined up to out the "bad apples"? Surely even the most clueless among us realize that killing someone is wrong? Or how about the shooting of the two in the Cafe in Vaughan, police released a VERY high quality photo of the suspect, yet in over a month no one stepped up to turn in that "bad apple" So it is ok for one set of humans to do nothing and it is perfectly acceptable yet another group isn't given the same level of opportunity?

I highly doubt the other poster was suggesting that an ordinary citizen should "turn in" another citizen for a minor infraction. If as an adult you don't have the ability to distinguish between what is considered good or bad then there is a much larger issue at play.

FYI there are cases, of good cops turning in bad ones, that is why each force has a professional standards branch, but just like ordinary citizens it is only the "media sensationized" cases that we as the general public hear about, just as we don't hear when Joe Blow is arrested for having 2 grams of cocaine, yet we do hear when someone is arrested with 200 Kgs. But those facts don't align with your bias.

Face: Go back and read the media reports of the 2002 city council meeting that demonstartion was reported as being organized by the UNION not the TPS. Just as I stated earlier if a group has an issue they feel needs to be addressed then they, (under our Charter of Rights), are permitted to hold a peaceful demonstration. Just because one wears a uniform they can not be denied their rights

Hedo, I'm a little confused. You think its wrong that ordinary citizens don't identify other citizens they may know who are suspected of major crimes and you say that police officers actually do identify other officers. I guess that's why after 4 years and much media attention, only 1 officer was charged and convicted of the beating of an unarmed protester Adam Nobody at the 2010 G20, when at least 12 officers were filmed participating in the beating. First of all, its an officers sworn duty to uphold the law, and they are trained and have a greater knowledge of the law than most citizens. I therefore believe that the police should be held to a higher standard regarding criminal behavior, not a lower one. Maybe if you want citizens in communities that have a distrust of the police to cooperate with police, the police should lead by example. Do you know any of those other 11 officers, if so, you should speak up now. If the police want public cooperation, they need to regain the public trust, especially in communities where the trust has been eroded.

Whether the 2002 police occupation of City Hall was organised by the TPF or the Union is irrelevant. The culture of entitlement, where police put their duty to each other over their duty to the law is ingrained in both organizations. Both need fixing. I have no problems with the police participating in freedom of speech demonstrations so long as its done within the same boundaries ordinary citizens can. In this case, the police showed up in uniform, armed, and took a police trained aggressive posture intended to occupy and intimidate. What would happen if 500 ordinary citizens showed up armed to a Council meeting? If the police union wanted to make their views heard in an appropriate manner, they would have walked around outside City Hall in civilian clothes carrying signs and showed up at Budget Committee and had their allotted 5 minutes each to speak, just like the rest of the citizens of Toronto. But they chose to use their positions as police officers to put forward their position in a manner that if it was done by anyone else, would have resulted in multiple arrests and major headlines

Why oh why does every single thread that has the word 'police' in it always end up as a FTP one ?????

Nobody says FTP. But many agree the increase in speeding tickets are related to " revenue" collectors. Some will deny it and will try to portray themselves as saints. Only a few bad saints tho....

Why does any civilized discussion about the appropriateness of certain laws (the setting of speed limits) and the motivation of those who enforce those laws (funding the police budget, meeting quotas, responding to Nimby complaints) automatically get deemed to be FTP? The only way that things can improve is when they are subject to critical review. Quit the name calling and join the debate.

Because some people only believe everyone else is to balme for their poor interactions couldn't possibly be them..lol Take no responsibilty for oneself. yet somehow the majority of us seem to get through life without negative consequences or interactions..lol So FTP, it has to be them to blame for all the evil of the world...

The alternative, (grow up be responsible and take responsibility), is a foreign concept to a few of those special snowflakes...lol

Wow! Take this statement and hold it up in the mirror! So the police are never to blame for their poor interactions with others? The police always stand up and take responsibility for their actions? Police officers are subject to the same consequences for their actions as ordinary citizens? How many officers actually see jail time for actions that would most certainly result in jail time for ordinary citizens? I would suggest that its a result of this kind of attitude by special snowflakes in uniform that plays a large part in people reacting with a FTP response.

Hedo, I'm a little confused. You think its wrong that ordinary citizens don't identify other citizens they may know who are suspected of major crimes and you say that police officers actually do identify other officers. I guess that's why after 4 years and much media attention, only 1 officer was charged and convicted of the beating of an unarmed protester Adam Nobody at the 2010 G20, when at least 12 officers were filmed participating in the beating. First of all, its an officers sworn duty to uphold the law, and they are trained and have a greater knowledge of the law than most citizens. I therefore believe that the police should be held to a higher standard regarding criminal behavior, not a lower one. Maybe if you want citizens in communities that have a distrust of the police to cooperate with police, the police should lead by example. Do you know any of those other 11 officers, if so, you should speak up now. If the police want public cooperation, they need to regain the public trust, especially in communities where the trust has been eroded.

Whether the 2002 police occupation of City Hall was organised by the TPF or the Union is irrelevant. The culture of entitlement, where police put their duty to each other over their duty to the law is ingrained in both organizations. Both need fixing. I have no problems with the police participating in freedom of speech demonstrations so long as its done within the same boundaries ordinary citizens can. In this case, the police showed up in uniform, armed, and took a police trained aggressive posture intended to occupy and intimidate. What would happen if 500 ordinary citizens showed up armed to a Council meeting? If the police union wanted to make their views heard in an appropriate manner, they would have walked around outside City Hall in civilian clothes carrying signs and showed up at Budget Committee and had their allotted 5 minutes each to speak, just like the rest of the citizens of Toronto. But they chose to use their positions as police officers to put forward their position in a manner that if it was done by anyone else, would have resulted in multiple arrests and major headlines

Why does any civilized discussion about the appropriateness of certain laws (the setting of speed limits) and the motivation of those who enforce those laws (funding the police budget, meeting quotas, responding to Nimby complaints) automatically get deemed to be FTP? The only way that things can improve is when they are subject to critical review. Quit the name calling and join the debate.

Wow! Take this statement and hold it up in the mirror! So the police are never to blame for their poor interactions with others? The police always stand up and take responsibility for their actions? Police officers are subject to the same consequences for their actions as ordinary citizens? How many officers actually see jail time for actions that would most certainly result in jail time for ordinary citizens? I would suggest that its a result of this kind of attitude by special snowflakes in uniform that plays a large part in people reacting with a FTP response.

My reply that officers have and do report other officers wrongdoing was in reply to the incorrect blanket statement that officers never turn in other officers. I didn't say it ALWAYS happens as that also would be an incorrect over generalization of the issue. Just as at times citizens do turn in other citizens. That is why as I have said generalizations simply do not work.

I don't know any of the officers involved in the G20. I never worked for TPS, nor am I any longer an officer so not sure why you feel "you should speak up now". I have no more obligation to identify the officers than any other citizen.

As for the city hall demonstration. It is VERY relevant who organized it. The Toronto Police Service is a public organization that is charged with serving the public. It would be improper and perhaps even illegal, under the Police Services Act, for them to organise such a demonstration. I replied to your post in which you stated you didn't know who organised it. The union is a private organization charged with representing the interests of it's members. I haven't stated that I agree with it and the tactics used. But it was, (under the current laws), a legal demonstration. Weather you or I agree or disagree with the union tactics is a moot point, we have no right to dictate how the union operates, or the tactics they employ, only a member in good standing has that right. Just as I may not agree, with the tactics used by the OPP union to influence the last provincal election, nor the teachers unions use of members dues to influence the outcome of elections. These too are moot points as I am not a member of those unions. As long as the union follows the letter of the law then, our "feelings" along with $1.25 will get us a cup of coffee.

I didn't use the term FTP other than to agree with what another poster wrote. If you stick around long enough at GTAM then you too will see that the default setting of most is that the plice are ALWAYS at fault. Take the recent thread where there was no pursuit the officer merely activated the lights, rider took off and hit a construction barrier and was killed it was automatically the officer at fault for turning his lights on.

Lastly, feel free to post up any post that I have made that I have stated that the polcie are NEVER responsible for bad interactions. In fact, I have agreed that officers should face reprecussions when wrong doing can be proven. The lack of prosecution of officers is NOT a result of police action. If you want to find blame in that arena there are many who are responsible, (the provincial gov't who created the SIU without teeth, and wrote very ill concieved laws surrounding it. the SIU for choosing not to lay charges, the crown for at times deciding the case is unwillable). Lastly, ordinary citizens who are relucant to convict when an officer is charged. This is not just symptomatic here in Toronto or Ontario or even North America. So please feel free to enlighten us as to how this is a "police problem", when it is actually "the system" and our "acceptance" as citizens of that system?

I highly doubt the other poster was suggesting that an ordinary citizen should "turn in" another citizen for a minor infraction. If as an adult you don't have the ability to distinguish between what is considered good or bad then there is a much larger issue at play.

Calling the Police isn't always the solution though, as much as our soft society thinks so. Sometimes it actually is better to just take the situation in your own hands as much as police don't want us to. While riding I once came across a dude beating the **** out of another at the side of the road with a shovel. I could have ridden away, sat there and called the cops while this guy got his **** kicked in until the cops got there or stopped it myself which is what I did. Turns out the 'attacker' had been hit in the head first with the shovel then got a hold of it somehow and was delivering a revenge beating.

After all was said and done, did I call the cops to turn them in...hell no. It was rightful street justice in my books. Attack a man with a shovel and you're liable to be on the receiving end of a good whooping. Much better than some bs charges.

Last edited:
They should put radars in areas that are at risk of someone getting hurt if people drive above the speed limit AKA school Zones, not on areas where the limits are way lower than what 80% of the people feel safe driving at.

I think this is a simple concept, the point of the OP is to say that if "most people" are getting a ticket for speeding on a specific street, means that most likely (not in all cases) those limits are too low.

Example: I speed almost everywhere I go, I NEVER speed in a school zone or in areas with high population of houses and cars parked where there is a posibility of someone walking in front of traffic. Hence I speed where it feels safe to do so. I got a ticket for going 104 on a 60, it was a 2 lane road on each side and a corn field on each side with no houses, who is at risk in that street? the cows? why was the officer posted there? a cow complained? or because the speed limits make no sense on that street and people chose to ignore them?

Are some people suggesting that the police should put radar traps in areas where there aren't any people speeding?

Last edited:
My reply that officers have and do report other officers wrongdoing was in reply to the incorrect blanket statement that officers never turn in other officers. I didn't say it ALWAYS happens as that also would be an incorrect over generalization of the issue. Just as at times citizens do turn in other citizens. That is why as I have said generalizations simply do not work.

I don't know any of the officers involved in the G20. I never worked for TPS, nor am I any longer an officer so not sure why you feel "you should speak up now". I have no more obligation to identify the officers than any other citizen.

As for the city hall demonstration. It is VERY relevant who organized it. The Toronto Police Service is a public organization that is charged with serving the public. It would be improper and perhaps even illegal, under the Police Services Act, for them to organise such a demonstration. I replied to your post in which you stated you didn't know who organised it. The union is a private organization charged with representing the interests of it's members. I haven't stated that I agree with it and the tactics used. But it was, (under the current laws), a legal demonstration. Weather you or I agree or disagree with the union tactics is a moot point, we have no right to dictate how the union operates, or the tactics they employ, only a member in good standing has that right. Just as I may not agree, with the tactics used by the OPP union to influence the last provincal election, nor the teachers unions use of members dues to influence the outcome of elections. These too are moot points as I am not a member of those unions. As long as the union follows the letter of the law then, our "feelings" along with $1.25 will get us a cup of coffee.

I didn't use the term FTP other than to agree with what another poster wrote. If you stick around long enough at GTAM then you too will see that the default setting of most is that the plice are ALWAYS at fault. Take the recent thread where there was no pursuit the officer merely activated the lights, rider took off and hit a construction barrier and was killed it was automatically the officer at fault for turning his lights on.

Lastly, feel free to post up any post that I have made that I have stated that the polcie are NEVER responsible for bad interactions. In fact, I have agreed that officers should face reprecussions when wrong doing can be proven. The lack of prosecution of officers is NOT a result of police action. If you want to find blame in that arena there are many who are responsible, (the provincial gov't who created the SIU without teeth, and wrote very ill concieved laws surrounding it. the SIU for choosing not to lay charges, the crown for at times deciding the case is unwillable). Lastly, ordinary citizens who are relucant to convict when an officer is charged. This is not just symptomatic here in Toronto or Ontario or even North America. So please feel free to enlighten us as to how this is a "police problem", when it is actually "the system" and our "acceptance" as citizens of that system?

Show me a law that allows union members to be armed when participating in a demonstration. I understand that the fire arm is part of an officer's uniform, but are officers allowed to wear their full uniform when off duty and on non-TPF business? Or were these officers being paid and on duty when they were participating in their demonstration?

I fully agree that the system is flawed, especially when dealing with illegal or inappropriate actions by officers. But the first layer of responsibility is with the officers and the Force itself. To blame everyone else (government, SIU Crown etc) and not put the onus first on the officers commit these actions and the Force they report to is like saying its the police's fault when someone commits a crime because they weren't there to stop it. It's about building trust in the police.

Show me a law that allows union members to be armed when participating in a demonstration. I understand that the fire arm is part of an officer's uniform, but are officers allowed to wear their full uniform when off duty and on non-TPF business? Or were these officers being paid and on duty when they were participating in their demonstration?

I fully agree that the system is flawed, especially when dealing with illegal or inappropriate actions by officers. But the first layer of responsibility is with the officers and the Force itself. To blame everyone else (government, SIU Crown etc) and not put the onus first on the officers commit these actions and the Force they report to is like saying its the police's fault when someone commits a crime because they weren't there to stop it. It's about building trust in the police.
Don't know what the duty status of the officers at City hall. If it still has you that worked up after 13 years then call and ask, and then demand government action, demand that they enact a law. All I was doing was answering your response, that it was a union demonstration, and that no laws were broken.

The police services, (in accordance with the Police Services Act), have mandated that when in full unform an officer must be armed. I believe if memory serves me correctly that was mandated after a few incidents occured while officers were unarmed while on paid duty and incidents occured. Including one in Ottawa where an officer who was unarmed but in uniform at a local mall was shot during an attempted robbery

Yes officers shouldn't commit illegal acts, neither should ordinary citizens, but guess what human beings do. How is it the "responsibility" of the force if an officer commits an illegal act? Let's look at a VERY recent case. A Durham officer was involved in a crash late at night. The officers responded. It was determined via an investigation that the off duty officer was impaired he was arrested, and charged. Just as would an citizen be. Just like any citizen he will face a court. So how is the Durham force responsible for his conduct? A number of years ago several undercover officers with TPS were drinking while on duty, a crash occured, if memory serves me correctly the female detective driver was killed in the crash and the other survivors were charged. As an employer I am no more responsible for the actions of my employees than is TPS. If they do something criminal, they are charged and dealt with according to law. Now if an officer isn't charged or convicted that is not a decision made by TPS, it is either the SIU or the crown, which is why I said that is where the blame lies.

Loneronin made an excellent point in his story. Often things are not as they appear on the surface. Again going back to the young man shot by Peel regional police. The police mantain he had a knife, some witnesses cooberated that. His family and friends say he didn't have a knife. When Lone rode up on the situation he initially thought one guy was beating the crap out of another when in fact, that wasn't the case. Now perhaps the "initial victim" carried his retribution too far..lol Don't know, can't judge as I wasn't there. The police had they been called would have investigated and proceeded, based on the results of that investigation. In the Peel case the SIU investigated and determined no charges were to be laid. So just because the family "feels" the officer did something criminal do we disregard the investigation and charge him/her anyway? How would you feel if the police were called to the incident Lone ronin rolled up on, the police investigated and determined he was justified, but the beating victims family demanded the guy loneronin saw with the shovel be charged? I would prefer to go with the decision based upon the investigation and not because someone "felt" someone needs to be charged.

Again I have on many occasions stated some officers are bad apples, but that doesn't mean the entire barrel is bad, anymore than it means if a few doctors abuse patients all doctors are bad, or engineers or any other profession. It just means that given enough humans in any profession your going to get some who don't follow the rules.

Nothing in life is black and white. so again generalizations generally are ill concieved.

Last edited:
They should put radars in areas that are at risk of someone getting hurt if people drive above the speed limit AKA school Zones, not on areas where the limits are way lower than what 80% of the people feel safe driving at.

I think this is a simple concept, the point of the OP is to say that if "most people" are getting a ticket for speeding on a specific street, means that most likely (not in all cases) those limits are too low.

Example: I speed almost everywhere I go, I NEVER speed in a school zone or in areas with high population of houses and cars parked where there is a posibility of someone walking in front of traffic. Hence I speed where it feels safe to do so. I got a ticket for going 104 on a 60, it was a 2 lane road on each side and a corn field on each side with no houses, who is at risk in that street? the cows? why was the officer posted there? a cow complained? or because the speed limits make no sense on that street and people chose to ignore them?

Yourself? (As in who is at risk). Pedestrians, since there's no sidewalks. Also, how often does a tractor cross back and forth between the cornfields or run along the side of the road? Do the cattle travel across the road to get to pasture. That's the whole thing about this, is that people are making judgments based upon their insufficient data, and claiming that it's the others guys doing the same that are at fault.

People here speed all the time through the high school 40 zone. Others, excessively speed and/or pass through areas with large amounts of hidden driveways. Sometimes it just comes down to familiarity with an area and contempt for the speed limit. If you've driven through an area thousands of times with no incident, then you're going to start to believe that there never will be one.

Look at some of the most dangerous intersections in the GTA. e.g. Don Mills and Eglinton.
I've been through that intersection thousands of times, without incident, but people still drive like maniacs through there, despite all of the warnings.

It's just possible that the owners of the land that you were passing, were getting sick of repairing their farm equipment,
after having encountered errant motorcycle parts in the fields.

It's a small world now, and it may only take a couple of complaints to get the authorities out there with their radar guns.

Yourself? (As in who is at risk). Pedestrians, since there's no sidewalks. Also, how often does a tractor cross back and forth between the cornfields or run along the side of the road? Do the cattle travel across the road to get to pasture. That's the whole thing about this, is that people are making judgments based upon their insufficient data, and claiming that it's the others guys doing the same that are at fault.

People here speed all the time through the high school 40 zone. Others, excessively speed and/or pass through areas with large amounts of hidden driveways. Sometimes it just comes down to familiarity with an area and contempt for the speed limit. If you've driven through an area thousands of times with no incident, then you're going to start to believe that there never will be one.

Look at some of the most dangerous intersections in the GTA. e.g. Don Mills and Eglinton.
I've been through that intersection thousands of times, without incident, but people still drive like maniacs through there, despite all of the warnings.

It's just possible that the owners of the land that you were passing, were getting sick of repairing their farm equipment,
after having encountered errant motorcycle parts in the fields.

It's a small world now, and it may only take a couple of complaints to get the authorities out there with their radar guns.

And sometimes, cops just setup for no other reason then it is like shooting fish in a barrel. or there is nothing else to do...lol I nabbed more than a few impaired drivers running radar at 4 am when nothing was going on.

It's a funny thread to read through as it provides some insight to the personality of some of the posters. As a middle aged guy who grew up in a "rules and regulations" household where my parents made me responsible for my actions I look at it this way; obey the law and you'll never get pulled over, decide to break the law (speeding, filtering, whatever) and you are responsible for the consequences.

Are the speed limits artificially low? Sure, probably, but those limit are posted and you have the choice to obey or not to obey and are responsible for the consequences of those choices. Whining about the cops who pulled you over is just so lame. For the record, I do speed now and again but I pick my spots and am aware of areas where speed traps are likely so I ride/drive accordingly. I gather many on the GTAM simply speed all over and whine when they get pinched, probably as a result of a sheltered upbringing and being told they are special.

Don't know what the duty status of the officers at City hall. If it still has you that worked up after 13 years then call and ask, and then demand government action, demand that they enact a law. All I was doing was answering your response, that it was a union demonstration, and that no laws were broken.

The police services, (in accordance with the Police Services Act), have mandated that when in full unform an officer must be armed. I believe if memory serves me correctly that was mandated after a few incidents occured while officers were unarmed while on paid duty and incidents occured. Including one in Ottawa where an officer who was unarmed but in uniform at a local mall was shot during an attempted robbery

Yes officers shouldn't commit illegal acts, neither should ordinary citizens, but guess what human beings do. How is it the "responsibility" of the force if an officer commits an illegal act? Let's look at a VERY recent case. A Durham officer was involved in a crash late at night. The officers responded. It was determined via an investigation that the off duty officer was impaired he was arrested, and charged. Just as would an citizen be. Just like any citizen he will face a court. So how is the Durham force responsible for his conduct? A number of years ago several undercover officers with TPS were drinking while on duty, a crash occured, if memory serves me correctly the female detective driver was killed in the crash and the other survivors were charged. As an employer I am no more responsible for the actions of my employees than is TPS. If they do something criminal, they are charged and dealt with according to law. Now if an officer isn't charged or convicted that is not a decision made by TPS, it is either the SIU or the crown, which is why I said that is where the blame lies.

Loneronin made an excellent point in his story. Often things are not as they appear on the surface. Again going back to the young man shot by Peel regional police. The police mantain he had a knife, some witnesses cooberated that. His family and friends say he didn't have a knife. When Lone rode up on the situation he initially thought one guy was beating the crap out of another when in fact, that wasn't the case. Now perhaps the "initial victim" carried his retribution too far..lol Don't know, can't judge as I wasn't there. The police had they been called would have investigated and proceeded, based on the results of that investigation. In the Peel case the SIU investigated and determined no charges were to be laid. So just because the family "feels" the officer did something criminal do we disregard the investigation and charge him/her anyway? How would you feel if the police were called to the incident Lone ronin rolled up on, the police investigated and determined he was justified, but the beating victims family demanded the guy loneronin saw with the shovel be charged? I would prefer to go with the decision based upon the investigation and not because someone "felt" someone needs to be charged.

Again I have on many occasions stated some officers are bad apples, but that doesn't mean the entire barrel is bad, anymore than it means if a few doctors abuse patients all doctors are bad, or engineers or any other profession. It just means that given enough humans in any profession your going to get some who don't follow the rules.

Nothing in life is black and white. so again generalizations generally are ill concieved.

The point about the 2002 armed protest at City Hall is simple. If police are in uniform, therefore on duty and being paid by the taxpayer, they should not be participating in a demonstration. And they most certainly should not be using their roles as police officers to intimidate our public representatives. I was there, and their intention to intimidate was pretty clear. Participation in a demonstration meant to inform, and making deputations to Committee, just like any other citizens affected by the City Budget is the right way to do things.

Hedo, I find it hard to believe that you don't think the behavior of an officer, either on or off duty, affects the image of the police, and that the force should just ignore it or only deal with it as an individual crime, if one has been committed. Respect for the police and credibility of the officers is crucial for them to do their jobs. So if you think police officers falsifying evidence isn't an issue for the force, simply just another crime committed by some "bad apples", I think you need to look at the broader picture?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ce-officers-falsified-evidence/article583588/

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/32258/judge-finds-police-officer-falsified-evidence/

http://globalnews.ca/news/2059110/hamilton-police-suspend-officers-over-fake-tickets/

If Hydro One was concerned enough about its image to fire one employee who behaved inappropriately (not illegally) in public, you would think that the police would have a similar level of concern. But instead, even when judges rule that the police officers committed these offences (as per the above articles), they remain on duty or are put on paid leave. The fact that these kind of stories come up on a regular basis can't help but hurt the image and credibility of the police. Focusing on the "few bad apples" and ignoring the culture of entitlement, the feeling that they are the law, and therefore above it, the end justifies the means mentality or simply that power corrupts, or what ever you want to call it, will mean that these kinds of things will keep happening.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/12/hydro-one-firing-tfc-fan-after-vulgar-comment

It's a funny thread to read through as it provides some insight to the personality of some of the posters. As a middle aged guy who grew up in a "rules and regulations" household where my parents made me responsible for my actions I look at it this way; obey the law and you'll never get pulled over, decide to break the law (speeding, filtering, whatever) and you are responsible for the consequences.

Are the speed limits artificially low? Sure, probably, but those limit are posted and you have the choice to obey or not to obey and are responsible for the consequences of those choices. Whining about the cops who pulled you over is just so lame. For the record, I do speed now and again but I pick my spots and am aware of areas where speed traps are likely so I ride/drive accordingly. I gather many on the GTAM simply speed all over and whine when they get pinched, probably as a result of a sheltered upbringing and being told they are special.

I think for most of us its not a case of not taking responsibility and just whining if we get caught., its a case of critical thinking, not just accepting everything that's dictated to you and speaking up against stupid rules. That's not a result of a sheltered upbringing and being told you're special. You know the system is flawed when you must rely on the good judgement of an officer at the side of the road to give a 15 kph margin or be forced to pull over 85% of the traffic. I've posted this before, but its relevant here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

I think for most of us its not a case of not taking responsibility and just whining if we get caught., its a case of critical thinking, not just accepting everything that's dictated to you and speaking up against stupid rules. That's not a result of a sheltered upbringing and being told you're special. You know the system is flawed when you must rely on the good judgement of an officer at the side of the road to give a 15 kph margin or be forced to pull over 85% of the traffic. I've posted this before, but its relevant here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

If you travel abroad do you use your critical thinking to question the laws of those countries too? I got told off for having a ****ing sandwich in the Plaza San Marco in Venice. I thought that was dumb too but I also knew that if I continued munching away on my sarnie after being told I risked facing the consequences.

Sorry, but Homme is correct. There are other avenues to follow if you think laws are not correct other than disobeying them under the guise of a "protest". If you do "protest" then you also know the consequences of getting caught.

In each of those media reports you posted I see where each force has stated the officers remain on duty, (some in administrative duties only), WHILE THE INVESTIGATION is beign conducted. So that shows the force is indeed taking the "allegations" seriously, these officers in these cases are alledged to have committed wrong doing they have not been fully investigated nor have charges been laid, so it is indeed 'proper procedure under the collective agreements, (signed by the peoples representatives), City councils, states they should.

Or is it your contention that if an officer pulls you over and you believe they have committed a wrong doing that the force to "appear concerned" should immediately fire that officer without an investigation? Like it or not officers have the SAME rights as every other citizen, under the charter. Then of course the collective agreement has to be followed.

I would take exception to your reference to the 2002 city hall demonstration as an "armed demonstration" Typically the term armed is used when weapons are displayed and involved, (such as an armed robbery), or a shooting. I doubt any of the officers "displayed", (other than it normally is on their uniform), or unholstered, their weapon. You are certainly entitled to your interpretation of the demonstration. But the officers again did not violate any law, if you felt intimidated, did you step forward and indicate so at the time? If not what would you like to be done now 13 years later??? You stated that if i personally could identify any of the G20 officers I needed to speak up now. So the question I challenge you with is have you done so with this incident which appears to have upset you, that 13 years later your still upset by it?

Again I can't comment on the duty status of the officers at the 2002 city hall demonstration, If you were/are that concerned I am sure you have filed complaints and requested the information, so that this terrible wrong can be righted, but I am confused as to why you have "apparently" done nothing in the last 13 years??? If you felt that intimidated did you file a complaint, (which you would have been justified in doing so), immediately so the officers could be identified and disciplined?

I have ignored nothing, as you put it. But again you are trying to vastly exagerate and generalize that the actions of a VERY small percentage of officers wrong doing taints the ENTIRE profession and leads you to the conclusion that there is a culture of "self entitlement and feeling that they are above the law" Does everyone who is in your choosen profession ALWAYS act responsibly and follow every rule and regualtion? Does your profession have at least three layers of oversight? If I recall correctly you stated your in "planning" So if there are say 10,000 "planners" in North America and 50 of them have not followed every rule and reg does that mean you too must have adopted a similar "culture" There are 100's of thousand of law enforcement offciers in North America so if 500 of those (let's use the figure of 250,000 ALL levels of law enforcement officers), haven't followed the rules and regs does that mean the other 249,500 MUST also be bad?

Sorry forgot to address the hydro one case. At the time the person involved was identified and Hydro One stated they had conducted an investigation, and the employee was let go. I haven't followed it that closely but there were labour lawyers who stated at the time once the union grieved he was likely to be reinstated with compensation. i can imagine the uproar if the police service followed this example and had to rehire and compensate officers becasue they were fired as you suggest merely upon an allegation, without investigation.

I have stated categorically, that there are some officers, that have been involved in various levels of wrong doing. Not sure what more your looking for? I contend it is a comparatively small percentage. I alos submit that the vast majority of officers do the job correctly and proudly.

If your looking for a 0% result then may I suggest respectfully, your living a dream and unless you plan to replace human officers with machines which are created and programmed by an entity other than a human one, (so as to not impose human fralties into the process), to enforce our laws and regulations.

I guess you could quit your current job, take the required training and be appointed as the head of the SIU or the head of the civilian Police oversight board. Then you can personally ensure every officer is beyond reproach and only does what you have deemed to be right and correct, (including removing ALL officer discretion, and making everything in this world black and white).

I find it ironic you state people should use critical thinking to question policies and procedures yet you also advocate that same level of thinking by an officer be removed and they simply apply no discretion in doing so, 9in other words no one gets a break or a 15 km/h grace period.

The point about the 2002 armed protest at City Hall is simple. If police are in uniform, therefore on duty and being paid by the taxpayer, they should not be participating in a demonstration. And they most certainly should not be using their roles as police officers to intimidate our public representatives. I was there, and their intention to intimidate was pretty clear. Participation in a demonstration meant to inform, and making deputations to Committee, just like any other citizens affected by the City Budget is the right way to do things.

Hedo, I find it hard to believe that you don't think the behavior of an officer, either on or off duty, affects the image of the police, and that the force should just ignore it or only deal with it as an individual crime, if one has been committed. Respect for the police and credibility of the officers is crucial for them to do their jobs. So if you think police officers falsifying evidence isn't an issue for the force, simply just another crime committed by some "bad apples", I think you need to look at the broader picture?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ce-officers-falsified-evidence/article583588/

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/32258/judge-finds-police-officer-falsified-evidence/

http://globalnews.ca/news/2059110/hamilton-police-suspend-officers-over-fake-tickets/

If Hydro One was concerned enough about its image to fire one employee who behaved inappropriately (not illegally) in public, you would think that the police would have a similar level of concern. But instead, even when judges rule that the police officers committed these offences (as per the above articles), they remain on duty or are put on paid leave. The fact that these kind of stories come up on a regular basis can't help but hurt the image and credibility of the police. Focusing on the "few bad apples" and ignoring the culture of entitlement, the feeling that they are the law, and therefore above it, the end justifies the means mentality or simply that power corrupts, or what ever you want to call it, will mean that these kinds of things will keep happening.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/12/hydro-one-firing-tfc-fan-after-vulgar-comment

Last edited:
If you travel abroad do you use your critical thinking to question the laws of those countries too? I got told off for having a ****ing sandwich in the Plaza San Marco in Venice. I thought that was dumb too but I also knew that if I continued munching away on my sarnie after being told I risked facing the consequences.

Sorry, but Homme is correct. There are other avenues to follow if you think laws are not correct other than disobeying them under the guise of a "protest". If you do "protest" then you also know the consequences of getting caught.

There's a big difference between opening a debate and questioning rules within your own culture, and travelling somewhere and not respecting the culture of where you are. I've traveled a fair bit and for example I would never insist on keeping my shoes on when in a mosque. But that doesn't mean you have to accept everything as "right" just because others believe it. I had a very interesting religious discussion with an Imam in Turkey who actually raised the question about atheism, with an honest intent to understand it better. We both left that discussion better informed and better able to evaluate our own beliefs.

I don't consider driving at or just above the flow of traffic to be an act of protest. It's just doing what comes naturally to most people and its a symptom of a flawed system when that is 15 or 20 kph over the posted limit, and you need to watch out for some cop who is bored or looking to fill a quota. Cars and motorcycles are continually being developed with better suspensions, braking and safety systems allowing people to be more comfortable driving at faster speeds (leading to a higher 85th percentile). Road capacity (which is measured in vehicles per hour) increases with speed, and with the growth we are experiencing, increased capacity is needed. But speed limits are generally being lowered, mostly for political reasons. And those few people who actually take speed limits literally, are the ones who cause the most disruption to the flow of traffic. Dangerous situations are not necessarily a result of higher speed, but of a differential in speed. So if you want to make things safer, you're better off raising the speed limit to the 85th percentile. (see the studies referred to in my Youtube link above).

I'm still trying to figure out why people think it's the police's fault for giving tickets. They are told to do that, it's their job. shoot the messenger much.

The cool thing about speeding, is that there is always someone stupider than you.

All I have to do, is let that person past me, and say the magic phrase "radar detector deployed".

As far as revenge beatings. They don't work. The "beatee" just rationalizes that what they did was justified,
because they somehow already knew that you were an @ who would beat them, and deserved everything they did.
In fact they may feel that they still owe you one.

Also, getting involved in a fight without knowing what's going on can be dangerous. I had a friend who had a long stay in a hospital, after trying to break up a vicious fight, between what he found out later, were two brothers. He found that out when then both turned on him, and beat him to a pulp for butting in to their disagreement.

After all, that's why we don't regularly beat our children now, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom