Hot tub anyone? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hot tub anyone?

In my case, I just keep cya in the tub as low as possible. It is very rarely open when the sun is out so cya has no positive benefits for me.
It actually stabilizes the clorine and keeps your swimsuits from getting wrecked. It has a different job in the hottub and is actually important to reduce the harshness of the clorine.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Same deal in your pool once you have the CYA level nothing but liquid if you want it to stay clear.

Or switch to Salt. Best money I've ever spent on our pool, hands down. Total chlorine purchase all summer = $15 for a 25L refill to shock it when opened and for a few days afterwards while it clarified.

It actually stabilizes the clorine and keeps your swimsuits from getting wrecked. It has a different job in the hottub and is actually important to reduce the harshness of the clorine.

I did not know that. Cool... Thanks for sharing the info. :)

Another day of labor well spent. All the river rock got where it was supposed to.

Fixed up this little wasteland near the side gate. If the wife doesn't like it then I can always move them somewhere else:

River rock also got staged by the back shed. We just evicted a skunk from there and we want to dissuade the grumpy bugger from coming back. Gravel all around the shed and river rock going on top of that. Will be harder for him to dig under after that. The front shed is on a concrete foundation so we do not have any issues there. I did the right side and rear. Just need to fill in the left side. Next spring I will be putting mulch down there and maybe a Japanese Maple in front of the left side where the windows are? We loved the Japanese Maple we planted at the old house.

Lion's share of the river rock went to the Softub zone. I may need to redistribute it some more but I think it turned out pretty good.

I am planning to buy the cable a few inches underground to clean up the install. Thoughts?

I had the hose out of the Softub around 6 P.M. yesterday and the tub was a frigid 56 Degrees F then. At 4:30 the temp went to 84 Degrees F. Will see what the temp is at 6 P.M. and that will give me an idea of the average temp increase per hour. Maybe 1.5 Degree F per hour or so? Hopefully when it is up to temp it can keep it warm enough to enjoy.

Getting there!

Speaking of skunks, had a family under my shed in the spring. Was told mothballs will keep them out which seemed to work so far. Now have one that wanders in from the side of the house to the backyard. The dog seems to be smarter about them now (after getting sprayed twice). I put some mothballs at the side gate to hopefully keep it from coming in that way. Something is eating them!!!! Yes, I know they are being eaten because they come in a perferrated package of two and both packages have been ripped open and one gone from each. I could understand them being ripped open to see whats inside (even though you can clearly smell the mothballs) but one is gone from each and I looked around to see if I could find them and no luck. WTF likes the taste of mothballs ??

Sorry for the off topic.

Last edited:
80 degrees (or even 90) in a hot tub will not feel very nice after about 5 minutes. I know it seems like it might as that’s perfect for a pool in the summer, but a hot tub when it’s cool/cold outside, well, it feels like a warm bath after a few minutes.

But I understand the anxiousness to get in. ?

If it had gotten up to 87 or so before the sun went down I may have chanced it. The weather was awesome today. Great day to work in the backyard and get the last bit of landscaping done before the bad weather hits in earnest.

Would love to go into the tub with my wife but by the time it is up to temp she will likely be making lots of Zzzzs.

I work second shift so I am up to 3:30 - 4 A.M. so I will likely be able to get my first dip in later! Woo Hoo!

Speaking of skunks, had a family under my shed in the spring. Was told mothballs will keep them out which seemed to work so far. Now have one that wanders in from the side of the house to the backyard. The dog seems to be smarter about them now (after getting sprayed twice). I put some mothballs at the side gate to hopefully keep it from coming in that way. Something is eating them!!!! Yes, I know they are being eaten because they come in a perferrated package of two and both pakages have been ripped open and one gone from each. I could understand them being ripped open to see whats inside (even though you can clearly smell the mothballs) but one is gone from each and I looked around to see if I could find them and no luck) WTF likes the taste of mothballs ??
Wow! That's crazy. Who or what would eat napthalene? Yuck!

My wife and I were discussing moth balls. We wanted to give the skunk the chance to exit stage left before we did that. There was a sizable hole at the rear of the rear shed. After 11 last night I made a huge racket back there and then the gravel went in followed by some river rock to seal it up (heavier stones).

Weird skunk. I have had so many on our properties over the years and usually they are very reluctant to spray. They did a mythbusters episode to test the various Skunk smell remedies and they had several and all of them were so reluctant to spray.

This guy has been spraying constantly. There are wild turkeys, foxes, racoons, coyotes etc all around here. Maybe he doesn't like the neighbors?

When the mulberries were on the front yard it was like a Mandarin buffet.

Raccoons would come, foxes, skunks, coyotes etc.

We even have this fella coming around:

Libby loves the new digs. It is like poochie TV from the front window. She has a bed on an ottoman she can lie on and still keep watch over the front yard.

You can just make out the raccoon here in the tree.

We had 2 for the longest time. One in each tree. Skunks coming out of the culverts. Then the foxes and coyotes took their turn eating the berries later. I always made sure to jingle my keys when I got home so I did not startle the critters. Same when I was in the trailer cleaning it or prepping it for a trip. When I was leaving the trailer I would make some noise so they knew I was coming.

Got to the point that when I got home the critters kind of meandered to the front of the yard and once the door was closed they went about their business. Many times the 2 raccoons would be eating berries closer to the walkway and the skunks would be doing their thing towards the front of the yard. The foxes came when they wanted to and the raccoons would vacate. If it was the skunks the foxes waited until the skunks left. When the coyotes wanted their berries everyone left. LOL! Was our own Lorne Greene's show right in front of the house. In the backyard we have ample supplies of chipmunks, squirrels, birds and salamanders of all things. I had not seen a wild salamander in Ontario since the early 1980s. Our yard has a whack of them. Weird...

Woo Hoo!

That makes 30 degrees in 24 hours.

At least the water feels warm when I put my hand in. Will check again at 9 P.M. I am still confident it will get warm enough for me to get in at some point later tonight.

Woo Hoo!

That makes 30 degrees in 24 hours.

At least the water feels warm when I put my hand in. Will check again at 9 P.M. I am still confident it will get warm enough for me to get in at some point later tonight.
Good work give it a try I was out in mine earlier it is set at 98.

I did not know that. Cool... Thanks for sharing the info. :)

Another day of labor well spent. All the river rock got where it was supposed to.

Fixed up this little wasteland near the side gate. If the wife doesn't like it then I can always move them somewhere else:

River rock also got staged by the back shed. We just evicted a skunk from there and we want to dissuade the grumpy bugger from coming back. Gravel all around the shed and river rock going on top of that. Will be harder for him to dig under after that. The front shed is on a concrete foundation so we do not have any issues there. I did the right side and rear. Just need to fill in the left side. Next spring I will be putting mulch down there and maybe a Japanese Maple in front of the left side where the windows are? We loved the Japanese Maple we planted at the old house.

Lion's share of the river rock went to the Softub zone. I may need to redistribute it some more but I think it turned out pretty good.

I am planning to buy the cable a few inches underground to clean up the install. Thoughts?

I had the hose out of the Softub around 6 P.M. yesterday and the tub was a frigid 56 Degrees F then. At 4:30 the temp went to 84 Degrees F. Will see what the temp is at 6 P.M. and that will give me an idea of the average temp increase per hour. Maybe 1.5 Degree F per hour or so? Hopefully when it is up to temp it can keep it warm enough to enjoy.

Getting there!
I would definitely not bury the cord down 1". That causes at least three issues.

1) mechanical protection. If buried, you will step on the buried cable and over time that will beat it up. Could be solved with a PT 2x6 above the cable (resting on dirt, cable needs a slightly deeper trench to make sure the board isnt touching it)

2) temperature. Most temporary cable is designed for free air and if you enclose it it may get too hot. No easy fix for this

3) water. I'm not sure about the rating of cable for incidental contact with water vs submersion. No easy fox for this if it's an issue (and I'm not sure whether it is or not).

Personally, I would probably properly bury a 2" conduit and run the wire through that (it it's long enough). If/when you decide to run power to the tub, just pull through the conduit.

I would definitely not bury the cord down 1". That causes at least three issues.

1) mechanical protection. If buried, you will step on the buried cable and over time that will beat it up. Could be solved with a PT 2x6 above the cable (resting on dirt, cable needs a slightly deeper trench to make sure the board isnt touching it)

2) temperature. Most temporary cable is designed for free air and if you enclose it it may get too hot. No easy fix for this

3) water. I'm not sure about the rating of cable for incidental contact with water vs submersion. No easy fox for this if it's an issue (and I'm not sure whether it is or not).

Personally, I would probably properly bury a 2" conduit and run the wire through that (it it's long enough). If/when you decide to run power to the tub, just pull through the conduit.

Thanks so much for the input. My wife keeps telling me to leave it for the winter so I think I will leave well enough alone for now.

I can always look into a conduit or something in the spring. As it is I think my plan is to shut down the hot tub come June and then get it going again in September as the pool dials down. If it is not running anyways then I just put the cord with the Hydromate.

Are there some of you that keep a hot tub running in the summer? If we had of done this at the old house I had thoughts of running the hot tub in the 80s during the summer and using it as a cooling pool.

Thanks so much for the input. My wife keeps telling me to leave it for the winter so I think I will leave well enough alone for now.

I can always look into a conduit or something in the spring. As it is I think my plan is to shut down the hot tub come June and then get it going again in September as the pool dials down. If it is not running anyways then I just put the cord with the Hydromate.

Are there some of you that keep a hot tub running in the summer? If we had of done this at the old house I had thoughts of running the hot tub in the 80s during the summer and using it as a cooling pool.
Ours stays on. Tubs dont really like to shut down, gross stuff happens. Yours is great because you can get all the water out, most have plumbing that is a bugger to drain. We drop it to 100 in the summer. Any cooler and I dont find it has an therapeutic value, any warmer and you camt stay in for more than a few minutes.

Ours stays on. Tubs dont really like to shut down, gross stuff happens. Yours is great because you can get all the water out, most have plumbing that is a bugger to drain. We drop it to 100 in the summer. Any cooler and I dont find it has an therapeutic value, any warmer and you camt stay in for more than a few minutes.
Our stays on year round as well always set at 100 if we want it hotter only takes a couple of minutes to go from 100 to 104.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Good work give it a try I was out in mine earlier it is set at 98.

Oh man... So tempted. It is up to 91 now. Water actually feels warm now instead of cool.

Going to watch some of the Tampa game and check again in a bit. Maybe if it gets to 95?

Regardless it will be dip worthy tomorrow before work or after work.

Personal odometer turns over to 50 on Thursday and my goal was to be into the tub on my birthday and that will be accomplished so I'm very happy.

I can't believe how quiet it is. Window in the ensuite is open and I could not even hear it when I was by the window. I'm sure it will be louder when the jets are on but the motor is running to heat the tub and the jets are on; albeit at a very low rate, I am just pleasantly surprised by how quiet it is in this heating/filtration mode.

That makes sense. Bugs will happily seek damp places and mice go into any gaps like that at will. By leaving it running on a reduced temperature you help minimize rodent and insect infestation and you also know the status of the tub when the fall hits.

I will see what the deal is come summer. Perhaps I can convince the wife to let me keep the tub running at a 90 setting so I can use it in the cooler evening. Some nights I came home and I cranked the pool heater up to 87 or so and had the solar blanket pulled right up to the edge and I would stand in front of the jet and let the warm water coming out of the jet keep me warm enough so I could enjoy it. Lots of day swims but being able to swim at night after work was a much more limited season. Perhaps the Softub could fill that roll on a lower temp setting?

Back
Top Bottom