Hot tub anyone? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hot tub anyone?

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
It's probably 3-4x the water volume than ours however, so more thermal mass.

And I think I fucking jinxed things talking so fondly about the tub. Decided after coming back from a ride this afternoon and having a little chill on that we'd go hop in the hot tub.

Found it with about 12" of water on the bottom. Pump still running dutifully keeping that 12" of water nice and hot, however.

Faaack.
This ones is 2000L. Lots of thermal mass but also lots of surface area exposed when the lid is open.

Mine has had two issues with water disappearing. An lighted logo cracked and of course they put it in a 4" hole with the top of it 6" below the water line. As an added bonus, that dumped the water onto of the control board and pumps. Great design. Second was a slow leak right after refilling. Fitting to hose was leaking right at the heater so all the water had to come out again to repair.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
I suspect I know what's happening with mine....there's 2 air lines that are designed to feed the air jets. They come out in the equipment panel and are open to air. Under some strange sequence of events that I've never been able to figure out they start to siphon water out instead of letting air in. I'm guessing there's some old 1-way valve that's crusty and stuck, or just failed.

I just need to block these off completely (we never use the bubbles anyways) and that should fix the issue. Downside is it takes 36 hours for it to reheat a full load of cold water again. :/

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
Since the softub has the "hydromate" that sort of acts like a liquid cooled pump to heat it... There is also a thermal blanket that is wrapped around that tubing. Water is constantly being pumped through the tubing whenever the pump is on (whether for filtration of therapy pump use) and the heat from the pump heats the water this way.

Would these options help to maintain temperature should I eventually get the thing going?

Softub sells this exterior Hydromate cover. Perhaps help reduce heat loss so more heat gets transferred to the water?

A solar blanket obviously did a great job holding in the heat in the pool; especially when the nights got cooler. Softub and The Cover Guy sell solar blanets that go under the folding cover. Would this help at all?

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
Since the softub has the "hydromate" that sort of acts like a liquid cooled pump to heat it... There is also a thermal blanket that is wrapped around that tubing. Water is constantly being pumped through the tubing whenever the pump is on (whether for filtration of therapy pump use) and the heat from the pump heats the water this way.

Would these options help to maintain temperature should I eventually get the thing going?

Softub sells this exterior Hydromate cover. Perhaps help reduce heat loss so more heat gets transferred to the water?

A solar blanket obviously did a great job holding in the heat in the pool; especially when the nights got cooler. Softub and The Cover Guy sell solar blanets that go under the folding cover. Would this help at all?
So a quick search says hydromate is 1.5 hp. That means roughly 1kW of heat being put into the water (assuming that coil extracts much of the heat of the motor and it is single speed).

Some insulation is a good thing. Counter-intutively, you can actually lose heat faster if you put on too much insulation (surface area increases much faster than R value as insulation gets thicker). I would hope that softub have some brains and the insulation cover works well. That being said, I dont know why they wouldnt include it by default unless they are either trying to juice the bill or giving in to requests from people that thought it was a good idea.

I kept some of the off cuts from the pool solar blanket to cover the hot tub if I know it wonts be used for a while. They may help a bit by keeping vapour from circulating and leaking out of gaps in the real cover. When the pump comes on for a filter cycle, the solar blanket sometimes gets messed up (the edge dips, a jet hits the top and the cover gets bunched up on the far side of the tub). I cant see a downside but I wouldnt pay for a hot tub solar cover.

I bought what is basically a huge shower cap for the tub this summer. I plan on putting it on if we are expecting a ton of snow/freezing rain, if the tub wont be used for a while or if it will be very cold and windy. That should minimize the air making it past the cover and save some heat but will be a pain to install/remove so it definitely wont be on all the time.

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
I guess this is Softub's version of a shower cap...

The Hydromate that came with the tub has a good rip in it. Not sure if leaving it like this will hurt the unit at all.

A Replacement cover is about $50. The exterior cover is just over $100. Hmmm...

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
Well... It was a bit of doing. I have no idea how many kilos of dirt and screening I moved.
Just have the screening a bit tamped down. I have an 8ft length of 2"x 4" which I will use to help get this all level. Next weekend I will get 16 2'x2' pavers to top this off and then it should make a nice landing spot for the softub.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
I suspect I know what's happening with mine....there's 2 air lines that are designed to feed the air jets. They come out in the equipment panel and are open to air. Under some strange sequence of events that I've never been able to figure out they start to siphon water out instead of letting air in. I'm guessing there's some old 1-way valve that's crusty and stuck, or just failed.

I just need to block these off completely (we never use the bubbles anyways) and that should fix the issue. Downside is it takes 36 hours for it to reheat a full load of cold water again. :/
Did you figure out your issues? When I refill mine (assuming the hoses aren't put away for the season) I run two cold water hoses and one hose from the TPV on the hotwater tank. You don't want to dump in straight tank hotwater as it's too hot, but mixed is fine. Running to the TPV gets me a 3/4" hose so it flows better. That uses all the hot water in the tank and lights the burner so it preheats the water into the tub somewhat. At that point, you can shut off the two cold water hoses to save some money or leave them on to fill faster.

Scuba Steve

Site Supporter
I usually fill mine from the pool as the salt is already at the correct level and it is warmer.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
Some good news. Since I have been cleared by public health I went and got my pavers yesterday for the still in development hot tub pad.

Called the Softub dealer/tech. Good news is that the GFCI cord is all sorted now. Also, the hydromate works and is heating and working on his test bench. Bad news is it is super loud. Needs a new bearing etc.

I authorized the rebuild. Will still be under my assigned budget. I would rather get ut sorted now including the new cover for the hydromate and then it should be reliable for the forseeable future. If we love the tub and decide to flip it will be easier to move and get a fair price if it is sorted with paperwork to prove it.

There is a rough but working Softub on kijjiji right now for $3500 and the tub liner is really worn. The tub liner on mine is actually in really good shape. If I get this sorted for around $2000 all in I will be thrilled.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
Okay....

Yesterday was my first day out of the house (cleared by public health). Snagged the pavers finally. Just getting them moved onto the truck, off the truck and to their staging location on a skid in my backyard did me in. I am still a work in progress.

Today I laid the first row. Levelled horizontally and vertically and to each other. Just laying the row wore me out. Tomorrow I will do another row, then one on Saturday and one on Sunday. If I keep improving perhaps I can get to a row and a half per day. Sad...

The scattered outdoor flooring is to keep our dog Libby from hopping in and out of the screening. She is a happy little dog but into everything. Great little snuggler through my recovery but she needs a playmate... 4 down and 12 more to go!

I am a touch under $200 for the pavers and screening so at this point I am $1400 into this project so far. Will see what the Hydromate rebuild comes to. Getting the vinyl cover replaced, new bearing, rebuild etc. Plus I need a new filter, filter sock, safety straps.

Will see what the final costs are.

Last edited:

Top Bottom