Hot tub anyone? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hot tub anyone?

Oh, Zoodles...do not worry about calcium levels in a vinyl lined hot tub like that. The pool and spa places will make you think it matters....because they'd love to sell you calcium hardness increaser - more $$$ in their pockets of course.

It does NOT matter for any vinyl lined pool or hot tub - it's only a thing for plaster pools/tubs to prevent the water from etching the calcium out of grout. For vinyl anything, it's a complete and total waste, and to the contrary, if it gets too high it can be quite problematic.

Oh, Zoodles...do not worry about calcium levels in a vinyl lined hot tub like that. The pool and spa places will make you think it matters....because they'd love to sell you calcium hardness increaser - more $$$ in their pockets of course.

It does NOT matter for any vinyl lined pool or hot tub - it's only a thing for plaster pools/tubs to prevent the water from etching the calcium out of grout. For vinyl anything, it's a complete and total waste, and to the contrary, if it gets too high it can be quite problematic.
Thx!

I have a "pool bar" of sorts. All I bought today was the granulated chlorine and the vinyl cleaner.

I have PH plus and minus etc in the shed from my pool use.

I guess for now I will do the tablespoon of chlorine after every use and see how the chemistry works.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Used the beauty day today to r&r the water for the last time until spring.
Drained. Then cleaned the tub and every jet with with 99% isopropyl.
Water was 56°F at 3pm. It took 6hrs (9pm) to get to 100°F. (I just got out of it).
I'm going on 7yrs with it, and haven't done any ph adjusting for 6yrs.
One mini chlorine puck every 3 days is golden.
Using water that ran through my water softener was a nightmare. The water turned milky about 10 days in. Both times. Since bypassing, water is still good after 4 months.
Enjoy!
p.s.....zoodles.....nevermind the pm....I see from your pic, there's no issue.

Water was 56°F at 3pm. It took 6hrs (9pm) to get to 100°F. (I just got out of it).
Using water that ran through my water softener was a nightmare. The water turned milky about 10 days in. Both times. Since bypassing, water is still good after 4 months.
Enjoy!
Wow. Yours heats up fast. Mine is 2 to 3 F per hour.

Enjoy!
I guess I will just keep adding chlorine as I go and see what happens.

Once I got the pool dialed in all I essentially had to do was keep a puck in the strainer and shock as necessary.

If I see something weird with the hardness, or cynauric acid or something I may ask about it.

I bought the swim University package that came with the ebook and videos. It (plus youtube videos) got me out of a couple of jams until I got some experience behind me. The package also has a hot tub module so I guess I should go back to school!

Edit: We had 19 great years in Guelph. However, one thing I don't miss is the crazy hard water we had there. The water in Waterdown (how ironic) is great.

Last edited:
I use the "BBB" method for my pool. Borax, Bleach, Baking soda. Don't even need the bleach (chlorine) anymore since I switched to salt, of course, aside from shocking. Total cost to operate my pool all summer now is about $50 (a few bags of salt to replenish it in the spring, a refill on my 20L jug of liquid chlorine, and a few boxes of Borax from Walmart through the summer and some dollar store baking soda on occasion) and my water is always sparkling blue.

Had a neighbour spending $1000+ every season via the pool store "chase all the numbers" method, constantly adding chemicals fighting up and down, left and right. When I introduced her to the BBB method she was blown away and has since switched as well, needless to say.

www.troublefreepool.com should be in every pool owners bookmarks. Search "BBB Method" there and read all the pool school forums.

Pool stores are all about extracting money from you. Case in point....calcium hardness additives being sold to vinyl pool owners.

I use the "BBB" method for my pool. Borax, Bleach, Baking soda. Don't even need the bleach (chlorine) anymore since I switched to salt, of course, aside from shocking. Total cost to operate my pool all summer now is about $50 (a few bags of salt to replenish it in the spring, a refill on my 20L jug of liquid chlorine, and a few boxes of Borax from Walmart through the summer and some dollar store baking soda on occasion) and my water is always sparkling blue.

Had a neighbour spending $1000+ every season via the pool store "chase all the numbers" method, constantly adding chemicals fighting up and down, left and right. When I introduced her to the BBB method she was blown away and has since switched as well, needless to say.

www.troublefreepool.com should be in every pool owners bookmarks. Search "BBB Method" there and read all the pool school forums.

Pool stores are all about extracting money from you. Case in point....calcium hardness additives being sold to vinyl pool owners.

Thx for this. Will look into it.

The Swim University guy talks about inexpensive alternatives too. Seeing as it was my first summer I kind of went the "easy" way out and just did chlorine pucks. I spent about $60 in chlorine. Bucket from CDN tire was $44 and change. I used one bucket and maybe a third of the second? Went through a fair bit of PH plus when it would rain.

For shock I mainly did liquid chlorine. 2L when it was time. Beginning of the season it was pea soupish so I hit it hard with 6L and some algaeside.

I am trying to remember what it was but there is a chemical I bought that I used once and after that my PH stayed so much better balanced.

May... Pool opened. New pool heater. And... Oh boy,,,

Wowsa! I had to replace this thing right away. No way to monitor pressure or pump performance with this puppy...

A couple of days later. Got the PH balanced and chlorine. That was really it. Get enough chlorine in there to kill the existing algae and keep ahead of it.

After that I had a cloudy water problem which was really just the old dead algae. I ended up discovering skimmer socks. Changed them out daily and handwashed the used ones until they finally bit the dust. When I would take out a used sock it looked like snot on it. All the dead algae would stick to the sock. Saved me having to backwash the sand filter so much.

After this the pool got dialed in and everything got easier. This was my first year with a pool so I had no experience, first hand knowledge etc. I promised my wife when we got this place that I had the pool and that I would look after the maintenance. I was happy to take this one and I loved to vacuum the pool before work so that when she got home it was waiting for her.

I got better at manual vacuuming but using the Zodiac suction side cleaner I bought early in the season helped as well. It did a great job scrubbing the walls as well as vacuuming up debris. I would use the Zodiac about twice a month. Otherwise I manually vacuumed every couple of days.

Lots of planting and work but worth it in the end. The Softub is the extension of this and also being able to add a winter activity to what could be a tough Covid winter ahead...

I am going to work on the lawn next year and bring it up to another level. I also want to relevel and fix all the stones around the pool. Recitfying the concrete will be an expense sometime down the road.

Edit: I was probably about $150 into chemicals this past summer. However, we had nothing except some old left over PH minus. A lot of the stuff I have is stuff you may use once in the beginning of the season or from time to time. It was mainly keeping a puck in the skimmer and adding PH Plus from time to time until I got the one chemical that I added and then the PH stayed a lot more stable. I should go out to the shed to remind myself which one it is.

Liquid chlorine was cheap but perhaps I could save some money there. The main thing for me at the time was just turning pea soup into a swimable pool and then keeping it there. As the season went on I figured out how many hours I could shut the pump off to save some hydro and not lose the pool chemistry. The next month my wife was a lot happier. So, with that knowledge and experience behind me I can go the next level and see if I can get the pool chemistry budget lower.

Last edited:
The old adage of a watched pot never boils is proving true...

Temp seems to increase about 2 degrees F per hour. Some a bit more; some a bit less. Will see if it gets any faster once it passes 80 degrees F.

Disadvantage of a 110V tub is the slower heat cycle, less jets etc. Again, I am thrilled to have a tub versus no tub. At the old house we had a really good sized bathtub with 4 jets which of course took a whack of water to fill and then you had to clean the puppy after. This will be larger, more jets and presumably less maintenance ratio to enjoyment.

No leaks I can see and the water level has not moved. I guess it will take a few days to really be able to ascertain that. No water leaking from the Hydromate or the junction between it and the tub. Thrilled so far...

From 56...

To 59 and ultimately 65 right now...

I still think these Softubs are pretty cool. They seem to hold up decently over time and the technology seems to be proving itself. Other than adding a few more jets or some integrated seats I am not sure what more they could do. Maybe add bluetooth technology to the Hydromate? Then you could see how many times it had ran a filter cycle, heat cycle etc.

Apparently if it is hot enough and does not need to run to add heat then the pump runs 2 filter cycles per 24 hours. However, if it has to run to get the heat up then apparently it will forgo the filter cycle because the filtering would have occured during the heat cycle (the pump has to run to add the heat).

Any other tubs of this type provide similar or better quality? I wonder how decent those inflatable ones are? With this being foam wrapped in marine vinyl I am wondering how much better the insulation R value would be versus inflatable.

Again, interesting that I finally got a Softub 300 considering how many times my wife and I discussed getting one of these at the last house. Will report back tomorrow. Hopefully by late afternoon the tub will be at least into the 90s. At that temp and it being warm outside I think I can take a little splash. If it gets high 90s to over 100 then I am all in with gin!

I'll echo what others have said, dont treat it like a chemistry set , get it close and enjoy. I'll also watched people blow thier brains out with $100's in + - /balance this, clarify that. The pool stores make a nice living "analysing" water

Thx for this. Will look into it.

The Swim University guy talks about inexpensive alternatives too. Seeing as it was my first summer I kind of went the "easy" way out and just did chlorine pucks. I spent about $60 in chlorine. Bucket from CDN tire was $44 and change. I used one bucket and maybe a third of the second? Went through a fair bit of PH plus when it would rain.

For shock I mainly did liquid chlorine. 2L when it was time. Beginning of the season it was pea soupish so I hit it hard with 6L and some algaeside.

I am trying to remember what it was but there is a chemical I bought that I used once and after that my PH stayed so much better balanced.

May... Pool opened. New pool heater. And... Oh boy,,,

Wowsa! I had to replace this thing right away. No way to monitor pressure or pump performance with this puppy...

A couple of days later. Got the PH balanced and chlorine. That was really it. Get enough chlorine in there to kill the existing algae and keep ahead of it.

After that I had a cloudy water problem which was really just the old dead algae. I ended up discovering skimmer socks. Changed them out daily and handwashed the used ones until they finally bit the dust. When I would take out a used sock it looked like snot on it. All the dead algae would stick to the sock. Saved me having to backwash the sand filter so much.

After this the pool got dialed in and everything got easier. This was my first year with a pool so I had no experience, first hand knowledge etc. I promised my wife when we got this place that I had the pool and that I would look after the maintenance. I was happy to take this one and I loved to vacuum the pool before work so that when she got home it was waiting for her.

I got better at manual vacuuming but using the Zodiac suction side cleaner I bought early in the season helped as well. It did a great job scrubbing the walls as well as vacuuming up debris. I would use the Zodiac about twice a month. Otherwise I manually vacuumed every couple of days.

Lots of planting and work but worth it in the end. The Softub is the extension of this and also being able to add a winter activity to what could be a tough Covid winter ahead...

I am going to work on the lawn next year and bring it up to another level. I also want to relevel and fix all the stones around the pool. Recitfying the concrete will be an expense sometime down the road.

Edit: I was probably about $150 into chemicals this past summer. However, we had nothing except some old left over PH minus. A lot of the stuff I have is stuff you may use once in the beginning of the season or from time to time. It was mainly keeping a puck in the skimmer and adding PH Plus from time to time until I got the one chemical that I added and then the PH stayed a lot more stable. I should go out to the shed to remind myself which one it is.

Liquid chlorine was cheap but perhaps I could save some money there. The main thing for me at the time was just turning pea soup into a swimable pool and then keeping it there. As the season went on I figured out how many hours I could shut the pump off to save some hydro and not lose the pool chemistry. The next month my wife was a lot happier. So, with that knowledge and experience behind me I can go the next level and see if I can get the pool chemistry budget lower.
The chemical you bought that made chlorine more stable was cya (cyanuric acid/stabilizer). It keeps uv from quickly breaking down chlorine and is normally only required once a season. If something goes wrong and chlorine drops to zero, the algae/bacteria growing in your pool can eat your cya. Pucks are stabilized chlorine so keep an eye on your stabilizer levels. If cya gets too high, chlorine loses it effectiveness. The pucks add chlorine and stabilizer with every puck so I would probably shoot for the bottom of the range at the beginning of the season. That saves money on chemicals and gives you some room for it to climb.

I dont like pucks in the skimmer. That feeds a stream of highly chlorinated water right into all the expensive bits. Even worse when you shut the pump off, the water in the skimmer will be super-chlorinated and that slug of corrosive liquid puts a hurting on your pump and really beats up the heater. The floating things are annoying but they evenly disperse the chlorine, the pump is only ever sucking the average chlorine level and since they have access to all of the pool water they dont get small pockets of highly concentrated chlorine.

Use bleach or liquid chlorine only once you have your CYA @ 50 in the hot tub. The most pucks and granules have CYA in them and will reduce the potency of the chlorine and lead to a drain being needed. PP is right go to trouble free pool follow the bb method I have never had a day I can't tell head or tail on a quarter at the bottom of the deep end in the pool. I use the same for the hot tub I do have salt clorinator on both and actually usually don't have to do anything but adjust the cya in the spring and add salt and acid every so often. I use a inteliclor on the hot tub drops in and does its thing.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Our hot tub, even being a plug and play but with a more traditional electric heating element (albeit only 750watts or something like that) takes about 36-48 hours to come up to temp running 24/7 if it's handed a full load of cold tap water.

The "coiled around the motor" heating system is interesting and certainly seems to be a good setup so far as recovering what would be otherwise wasted heat anyways. Guess we'll soon find out how long it takes to heat things up. At least you picked a weekend (off peak electricity rates all the time) to get through the first hump consumption wise. ;)

As for monitoring consumption, I have a whole-home energy monitor by "Sense". It's a geeks dream so far as being able to monitor things and see where your energy hogs are, what's using what at what time of day, etc etc. Here's this months stats on the tub:

IMG_5341.jpeg

As you can see, as the weather has warmed up the daily consumption has gone down. Biggest monthly day so far was Nov 1'st using 11.3kwh. Yesterday, 6.5.

For comparison, in the dead of winter, looking back through the logs, January of last year it used 360kwh.

The Sense unit is pretty cool, but not cheap. If you're looking at something simpler to keep track of energy usage of the hot tub specifically, Costco sells a 2 pack of CE Energy smart plugs with energy monitoring for $26. ;)

The chemical you bought that made chlorine more stable was cya (cyanuric acid/stabilizer). It keeps uv from quickly breaking down chlorine and is normally only required once a season. If something goes wrong and chlorine drops to zero, the algae/bacteria growing in your pool can eat your cya. Pucks are stabilized chlorine so keep an eye on your stabilizer levels. If cya gets too high, chlorine loses it effectiveness. The pucks add chlorine and stabilizer with every puck so I would probably shoot for the bottom of the range at the beginning of the season. That saves money on chemicals and gives you some room for it to climb.

I dont like pucks in the skimmer. That feeds a stream of highly chlorinated water right into all the expensive bits. Even worse when you shut the pump off, the water in the skimmer will be super-chlorinated and that slug of corrosive liquid puts a hurting on your pump and really beats up the heater. The floating things are annoying but they evenly disperse the chlorine, the pump is only ever sucking the average chlorine level and since they have access to all of the pool water they dont get small pockets of highly concentrated chlorine.
Ding! That's it; that's the stuff. Made a huge change and improvement once I used it and got it to the recommended level.

I do have a floating dispenser. It went in when the pump was shut off. Could always try using the floater all the time.

Anyone here use a chlorine dispenser? I think some take around 7 pucks or so? Would solve the issue.of having to replace a puck every 3 days give or take.

Oh, and up to 79 degrees F and about to crest the magic 80 mark. I am optimistic that I will.be able to have a nice soak this evening.

No pucks they drive up your cya and make the clorine inefecctive. Use puck until you hit the desired cya then liquid only or else you will not be getting proper sanitizer and need to drain all the time.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Tricolor pucks are especially bad in a hot tub the chemistry will be out to lunch in no time and it will get gross. They also dissolve way to fast go to troublefreepool.com follow the advice and it is so easy.

No pucks they drive up your cya and make the clorine inefecctive. Use puck until you hit the desired cya then liquid only or else you will not be getting proper sanitizer and need to drain all the time.

Sorry, I meant in my pool.

Just going to go with the granuated chlorine in the tub for now.

My bad for derailing the thread!

80 degrees (or even 90) in a hot tub will not feel very nice after about 5 minutes. I know it seems like it might as that’s perfect for a pool in the summer, but a hot tub when it’s cool/cold outside, well, it feels like a warm bath after a few minutes.

But I understand the anxiousness to get in. ?

Should be using liquid there as well there is other crap on the granulated as well either cya or calcium not good either way.

Same deal in your pool once you have the CYA level nothing but liquid if you want it to stay clear.

Back
Top Bottom