Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick

5' bed so that's good but starting at 50K. Personally, I don't like it, imo it combines the worst of truck features (high, huge plan area, etc) with jeep "reliability".
Just sayin; he’s already got the jeep, he’s halfway there. No wrangler is ‘cheap’ IMO.

I would be inclined to remove the tailgate with that thing. At a certain point in the lift, the weight on the back end of the tailgate exceeds the weight of the bike and platform. I wouldn't be comfortable putting close to 1000lbs on the tip of a tailgate (and even worse, most of the weight is right in the centre).
Agreed, I don't see the need for the tailgate with this contraption. The weight of the entire platform and bike is too much for most tailgates.

Just sayin; he’s already gotten jeep, he’s halfway there. No wrangler is ‘cheap’ IMO.
A friend with a Jeep just installed a decorative snorkel that he paint matched. Probably $1000 worth of useless bling. Jeep people give HD a real run for their money in expensive mods that are only visual.

A friend with a Jeep just installed a decorative snorkel that he paint matched. Probably $1000 worth of useless bling. Jeep people give HD a real run for their money in expensive mods that are only visual.

You are dead wrong, buddy
they're like sticker mods for ricers. each 'off-road' accessory nets you +50 mall crawl points. +1000 points if you can park half on curbs or on something.

So a hybrid Ranger with some marketing shenanigans going on? I like smaller trucks so I'm not against it per se. But this get 34 mpg hwy and the EcoBoost Ranger gets 30 mpg hwy. I guess it depends how much you're putting around town on battery.
My 1986 ford ranger with a 4 banger and 5 speed got 30mph COMBINED

I say FLOP.

Like GG said what good is a truck that can't haul a sled or a bike? 4 1/2 foot box? great it will hold all my groceries in the rain.

My buddy has a JEEP. Has had it for 4 years in the most basic spec (think manual roll down windows). I’m shocked to this day he hasn’t modded a single piece on it. I don’t think it’s ever seen anything more gnarly than Steeles Ave…but it’s stock.

I say FLOP.

Like GG said what good is a truck that can't haul a sled or a bike? 4 1/2 foot box? great it will hold all my groceries in the rain.
I think it will sell really well. It's cheap and a lot of people buy what they like the look of and don't really consider how it functions. I suspect the vast majority of trucks have never had a bike or sled in the bed. Throw a cap on it and you have a good compartment for your wet and smelly dogs.

I think it will sell really well. It's cheap and a lot of people buy what they like the look of and don't really consider how it functions. I suspect the vast majority of trucks have never had a bike or sled in the bed. Throw a cap on it and you have a good compartment for your wet and smelly dogs.
When I say flop I mean to me. You are 100% correct and it will probably fly out of showrooms.

apparently this is their focus replacement since they won't be selling cars anymore.
makes sense at the price range and the direction buyers are going.
Car and bike people are in the minority and most new vehicle buyers are going utility, either some sort of crossover/SUV or truck. Most these will see in the bed are some road/mountain bicycles, kayaks or other outdoorsy stuff.
Ford is banking on people wanting small affordable trucks.
Also time right after the release of the new Lightning, all the people wowed and wanting that, now have a non-EV, much cheaper alternative.
Really smart move IMO.

Buy whatever suits your needs.

Pretty much. Don't worry who makes it for the most part, if it fits it's likely going to work.

Just don't tell @Mad Mike that Fiat developed the common rail diesel engine everyone uses now. Only reason Bosch makes them all is because Fiat needed the cash so sold the patents and technology.

I see where Ford did some cost cutting. What a mess.

When an auto manufacturer can't take pride in what you "can't see" that tells me a lot about the rest of the vehicle.

see the difference?

Not really, manufacturers just hide this under pretty covers and sometimes pain in the ass routing. That ends up resulting it harness damage or vacuum tubes that go brittle and spring leaks around the tight bends.

And Fiat were among the early adopters of robotic assembly (which everyone uses now). They developed a system called "Robogate" in the 1980s. And the MultiAir variable valve timing and lift system is pretty ingenious (and mine has given not a lick of trouble in almost 190,000 km). The 1.4 MultiAir engine is a development of the FIRE engine series. FIRE dates back to the early 1980s ... "Fully Integrated Robotised Engine". Automated assembly was a new thing back then.

As for the Maverick's lack of a plastic engine cover ... I have no objection to something with no benefit to the end-user being cost-reduced out. A lot of them also are for noise-reduction, but if they hit their targets without it ... no problem.

Everyone's engines underneath that plastic cover look like the insides of a washing machine nowadays.

My old Tacoma was this, but it had cutouts in the bed that a precut 2x6 fit into to raise sheets above the wheel wells. I just left one in the bed and slotted it in when needed...
Yup nothing new there. Same cut outs were in my 86 Ford Ranger which FWIW would hold a 78 KZ650 with the tailgate closed AND got 30MPG.

Just sayin; he’s already got the jeep, he’s halfway there. No wrangler is ‘cheap’ IMO.
Yeah if I could only have one vehicle a Gladiator would be my next. I'd like to by a cheap commuter and keep my 2dr JL for a top off summer vehicle and when the roads are bad in the winter. The Maverick is likely to be $30k by the time you buy it with minimal options even keeping the FWD hybrid engine, so not really cheap, but would do the job.

You're right though, Jeeps ain't cheap. I have a low end but well optioned Sport S JL that I bought for $45k back in 2019. The equivalent Sport S JT is $58k, and if I was to upgraded I'd probably go for a Rubicon, so approaching $70k. Definitely can't afford a $60K+ car loan, but $30k I might be able to make work.

I would be inclined to remove the tailgate with that thing. At a certain point in the lift, the weight on the back end of the tailgate exceeds the weight of the bike and platform. I wouldn't be comfortable putting close to 1000lbs on the tip of a tailgate (and even worse, most of the weight is right in the centre).
Did you notice he had metal struts in addition to the typical metal cables supporting the gate.

European mass-market brands all got a bad reputation here ... even VW, which is well-regarded in Europe. Just imagine what would happen if Citroen or Renault were to attempt to sell something under those brand names here. The Fiat brand name isn't likely to survive much longer in North America - but they're huge in South America.

YES, the last time a Citroen or Renault was sold under their own name in North America, was before the auto industry in general had figured out corrosion protection. Japanese cars back then (1980s) rusted just as badly, but somehow they got away with it.

European roads are filled with Renaults, Citroens, Fiats, VWs and all their cousins (Seat, Skoda) as well as European Ford and GM (Opel, Vauxhall), and they seem to do okay with them ... and Honda (well-regarded here) have a hard time surviving in Europe! Seems that Australians don't buy Honda cars, either. Honda are considered to be pensioners' cars in the UK.

Modern manufacturing processes have converged in many ways. Everyone builds stuff in more-or-less the same ways using similar materials nowadays, with parts and subassemblies bought in from the same core groups of suppliers for each type of product. Buy whatever suits your needs.
I remember those early Euro/Japanese days. There was a big difference between European and Japanese cars - dependability. Not much has changed.

If you had a Audi, Fiat, Renault, Citroen (anyone know what this translates to in English?), Skoda, Symca, Alfa... you were gambling. Japanese cars as they were a lot more dependable and their systems were similar to American cars so they were fixable by most shops.

I remember those days. I ran a small garage and I drove Euro cars! They were fun and dirt cheap because many owners were not willing to throw another major repair at them. Kinda like owners of FCA Fiat Pops today.
Pretty much. Don't worry who makes it for the most part, if it fits it's likely going to work.

Just don't tell @Mad Mike that Fiat developed the common rail diesel engine everyone uses now. Only reason Bosch makes them all is because Fiat needed the cash so sold the patents and technology.
CRD=Fiat? No.

CRD has been around for a hundred years, mostly in marine applications. Fiat did a lot of early work, but couldn’t finish, the Germans did that for them. Fiat buys the technology from Bosch for their junk VM Motori diesels.

Know anyone with a Fiat diesel in a Jeep Liberty, Grand Cherokee or RAM? Ask them how many turbo actuators they have had replaced, EGR overhauls, and whether they kept their car when it came time to do a timing belt service.

Back
Top Bottom