Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick

+1 FIFY
The Honda is a premium priced product. Everybody knows that.

Toyota and Honda have both inflated their prices due to perceived reliability. Not to mention almost zero rebates or discounts.

You know there's two thing I'm jealous of:
1) Dudes who are attracted to fat girls, and
2) People that are comfortable with Civics.

Fiat's are doing just fine on Canadian roads when they are not branded Fiat. The Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200, 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica, 2021+ Grand Caravan and Jeep Cherokees are all Fiats platforms that started with the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. The new 2021 Grand Cherokee is based on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

And how is that platform change to Fiat working fir them?

FCA will sell around 5000 2021 Grand Caravans (fiat platform). That’s less than two weeks of sales for any other model year.

Grand Cherokee sales dropped less, 2021 sales are forecasted to drop by 65% since switching to Fiat platform.

Darts and 200s? Are there any of these in the wild?

My buddy has a JEEP. Has had it for 4 years in the most basic spec (think manual roll down windows). I’m shocked to this day he hasn’t modded a single piece on it. I don’t think it’s ever seen anything more gnarly than Steeles Ave…but it’s stock.
I have a 2017 Patriot in the driveway, it’s my new winter beater and is as basic a vehicle as you can buy.

doesn’t even have a plastic engine cover.

Darts and 200s? Are there any of these in the wild?
Saw a riced out 200 recently. Was shocked. Guy must’ve been putting down 300+ hp at least….stickers….fake hood scoops…massive spoiler….I loved it. And the icing on the cake….chrome exhaust tips!

Pacifica (RU - Not really a Fiat platform by the way - There may be a design heritage but so much has been changed that there's really nothing in common with any Fiat) sells less than Grand Caravan (RT) because RT was being sold cheaply because the tooling was paid for a long time ago. Pacifica (and all the other RU variations along with it) is a higher priced and more upscale vehicle ... FCA was trying to move that segment upmarket, and the RT van hung on and they kept building it because people kept on buying whatever's cheapest.

As for that Grand Caravan sales volume ... Probably that's because the RU minivan is being sold as Grand Caravan in Canada only (evidently using the Pacifica front-end styling from last year and before - which I think looks better than the new Pacifica front-end styling anyhow, but I digress). It's called the Voyager in the USA. And in both cases, that's on top of the Pacifica, which really replaces the old (RT) Town & Country. Really you have to look at the total of all three nameplates - and it probably is going to be less than the sales numbers for the old, cheap, tooling-paid-for RT vans - because even the least expensive RU is sure to be more $ than the least expensive RT was.

Even the "Compact US Wide" vehicles - Dart, 200, Cherokee (KL) - really only share some design heritage with a Fiat platform. Virtually no parts are shared with any Fiat - especially in the case of the Cherokee ... particularly if you opt for the V6 engine, but does anyone actually buy 4-cylinder Cherokees? (Lots of people buy KL Cherokees - it has been a big seller over the years ... and it's been around since 2014. It's a good product.)

As for the Grand Cherokee ... The outgoing Grand Cherokee was a platform-share with the Durango, there was one length and one body style of each and that was it, and they used mostly the same parts underneath. It's getting replaced with a complicated mixture of vehicles that I haven't been able to figure out, and I work in the industry. There's a new Grand Cherokee, an extended-length version, the Wagoneer, and a Grand Wagoneer. In terms of platform codes (which are the only ones I know!) there's two different versions of WL, which has *just* started production, and there's some other vehicle that we don't build parts for, *and* there's going to be a replacement for the Durango which I know nothing about. I have not been able to make sense of which chassis codes are going to be for which vehicle nameplates ... we're just making parts for "WL", whatever that is. It therefore wouldn't be surprising that the "Grand Cherokee" nameplate (whichever piece of this alphabet soup it happens to be) sells in lesser numbers than the old one when it's going alongside with a couple of other different nameplates that didn't exist before. You really have to compare sales volume for Grand Cherokee + Durango (before) to Grand Cherokee (short + long) + Wagoneer + Grand Wagoneer + whatever they replace the Durango with. (I think they're still building the old one for now ...)

I know one thing ... the parts for these, aren't coming from Italy. (I know who's building some of the chassis and underbody components.) If there's a connection to an Alfa vehicle platform somehow, it's only through design heritage, not parts.

Production numbers for this year are going to be all screwed up anyway - first the pandemic, and now everything is shut down because nobody can get semiconductor parts ... ! ! !

Saw a riced out 200 recently. Was shocked. Guy must’ve been putting down 300+ hp at least….stickers….fake hood scoops…massive spoiler….I loved it. And the icing on the cake….chrome exhaust tips!

Lol - usually that tends to hold true for the most part.
I remember this one time (back in 2018) we came across this older looking greyish civic that was tastefully done with just the right amount of 'visual' mods - wang and all.
However what struck me as odd was the fact that he had over extended front fenders to try and blend in the meaty tires he was running up front.

I kid you not that guy took off like a bat outta hell as soon as the light turned green...and then I heard it...that turbo spool lol.

Last edited:
Trying to show off under the hood of a stock Honda is by far the saddest thing I've ever read.

Sad? Have you seen under hood of the Maverick hybrid?

I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the ridge's cover it will still look more neat and tidy.

Last edited:
And how is that platform change to Fiat working fir them?

It's not.

You want to see sad? Chryslers current car and van portfolio

Discover Chrysler Canada | Chrysler Canada click on "vehicles" 3 versions of the same van, and 1 dated car.

FIAT Canada | Explore our cars and build and price today 2 versions of a dated same ole 500. 1 thinly disguised japanese based roadster with a Fiat badge

Dodge Vehicles, Muscle Cars and Crossovers | Dodge Canada virtually every car in this line up is ancient and essentially unchanged for years. Esp the minivan and the Journey.

Last edited:
Honda sure as hell thinks this. It is right in a lot of occasions but not all the time. They are completely incapable of believing they are not the best even when they are obviously at the back of the pack with some of their vehicles (and before anyone asks, I haven't looked carefully at their current lineup so I don't know if they have any turds in it right now).

check out new 2022 Civic, show me a better car in its class.

check out new 2022 Civic, show me a better car in its class.

I think the Elantra has closed the gap on the Civic. Better mileage, nicer interior, much better warranty. Civic will win on resale, but that’s pretty much wiped out by the hefty new car price.

Sales figures suggest same.

when you consider civics tend to be more expensive to insure, the TCO will probably favour Elantra by a substantial margin.

I think the Elantra has closed the gap on the Civic. Better mileage, nicer interior, much better warranty. Civic will win on resale, but that’s pretty much wiped out by the hefty new car price.

when you consider civics tend to be more expensive to insure, the TCO will probably favour Elantra by a substantial margin.

2022 Civic fully loaded with all the nanny gadgets as standard equipment. No more stick shift…Car is catered to a different buyer than us old gearheads.

How does the Elantra vs. Civic compare in terms of equipment breakdown and maintenance needs?
Are they both almost equivalent in terms of interior space and assembly?
(To me, the GTAM member comments hold more value than a magazine comparo!)

2022 Civic fully loaded with all the nanny gadgets as standard equipment. No more stick shift…Car is catered to a different buyer than us old gearheads.
I'm glad they allow all the nanny gadgets down low. Not that long ago, Honda forced you to buy the top package if you wanted what others included standard. Just offensive and very misguided. Nice to see they have learned and come around. I dont like most of them but I do think they should be available throughout the trim levels.

2022 Civic = mandatory CVT automtatic. Bleah.

Supposedly the sportier versions will still have manual available, but those haven't been announced yet.
Accord and "4" door civics only the CVT available, no-one wants to change gears anymore. CVT while meh, pretty reliable.

Back
Top Bottom