Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick

Mechanically, underneath, Maverick is a Ford Escape.
Thanks for answering my first question. I knew there was no way Ford built a whole new platform for this. Sort of like the Chevy Avalanche, except it didn't start out as a truck in the first place.

The 4' bed is a dealbreaker for me. Just too limited for those moments when I'm really glad to have a truck. At least in an SUV you can put the seats down. In a lot of ways the Ridgeline is much closer to what I want/need, except the price is just too high for what it is.

No matter, just happy to see them trying to offer more realistic vehicles to people. The half-ton trucks have gotten so stupidly big...

As for Fiat stuff, since WWII they have led the world in automotive depreciation - nothing suggest a shift from style to quality, for this market (winter, big miles) a Fiat will remain a Fiat.

Fiat's are doing just fine on Canadian roads when they are not branded Fiat. The Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200, 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica, 2021+ Grand Caravan and Jeep Cherokees are all Fiats platforms that started with the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. The new 2021 Grand Cherokee is based on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

The reality is, most cars are just a name plate today. You buy a chassis and engine block from the automobile manufacturer. Everything else is shared among most of the car brands.
  • Need Fuel Injection and a ECM to run the engine? Well that is Bosch or Denso
  • Need electronics? Keys? Tires? Driver Assist? Well that's Continental
  • Need electrical connectors? TE Connectivity
  • Need transmissions? ZF or Aisin
  • Need Power Steering? TRW
  • Need oil filters? Purolator
  • Need batteries? Clarios
  • Need infotaiment? Harman
You get some originality, but it's rare. That is why recalls have become across platform issues, most famously made by the Takata airbag recall. BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen, used the same part supplier. And part suppliers while they may change a trim piece here and there to match the interior design of the vehicle it's going in, are not designing and building unique products for each automotive manufacturer.

Fiat's are doing just fine on Canadian roads when they are not branded Fiat. The Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200, 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica, 2021+ Grand Caravan and Jeep Cherokees are all Fiats platforms that started with the Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

That explains the quality issues of Chrysler products....

Well im no truck guy but I’m impressed. If I didn’t already swap cars 2x in the last year I’d seriously considering trading the Volt in for this thing….500mile range on a tank is pretty good claim. Approx $25k starting price for the base trim in Canada.

hmmmm, what a surprise it took this long for others to catch on, more unibody pickups (Hyundai too) wasn't that dismissed once upon a time back when introduced in 2006? (Ridgeline)

Ford will sell a ton of these, price is the clincher. THIS should have been the Ranger. Ford has to fire the guy in charge of naming vehicles at Ford (Mustang Mach E???)

Crazy stupid that they won't offer AWD on the Hybrid models even though they offer it on the Escape (clearly its not a design or production issue)

I'd still take the Ridgeline over this, the 2021 updates make it look real good, better quality, slightly bigger, more refined. If Honda added a hybrid option, it would distance it further as the one to beat.

Last edited:
I actually thought that the hybrid was available with both motors, until later corrected. 500mi range on the AWD platform would just be icing on the cake.

Guess we will know soon enough once this thing hits the showroom floor. And I’ll Ho and hum about it until the first batch of off leases hits the used market.

The reality is, most cars are just a name plate today. You buy a chassis and engine block from the automobile manufacturer. Everything else is shared among most of the car brands.
  • Need Fuel Injection and a ECM to run the engine? Well that is Bosch or Denso
  • Need electronics? Keys? Tires? Driver Assist? Well that's Continental
  • Need electrical connectors? TE Connectivity
  • Need transmissions? ZF or Aisin
  • Need Power Steering? TRW
  • Need oil filters? Purolator
  • Need batteries? Clarios
  • Need infotaiment? Harman
You get some originality, but it's rare. That is why recalls have become across platform issues, most famously made by the Takata airbag recall. BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen, used the same part supplier. And part suppliers while they may change a trim piece here and there to match the interior design of the vehicle it's going in, are not designing and building unique products for each automotive manufacturer.

And the list above is just the beginning. Door locks, latches, and hinges. Interiors. Window glass. Suspension parts. Plenty more. All are coming from core groups of suppliers that supply everyone.

Chassis/unibody are often coming from suppliers with only the final steps of welding the major subassemblies together done at the final assembly plant. A lot of the exterior sheet metal for a Chrysler 300 or Charger (assembled in Brampton) is coming from a Magna plant in Milton (who also supply a lot of others). A lot of the exterior sheet metal and most of the underbody sheet metal for a BMW X5 (assembled in Spartanburg SC) is coming from a Magna plant in Greenville (which also supplies others besides BMW). The processes for welding that sheet metal together, and for e-coating and painting the body-in-white, are largely standardised.

You might be buying the engine block from the company whose nameplate is on the vehicle (most of the time ...) but a lot of the stuff inside and attached to that block is coming from common suppliers that supply everyone. Pistons. Crankshafts. Camshafts. Oil pumps. Water pumps. Valvetrain parts. Same with the transmission.

Canada might not have an auto manufacturer based here (although Bombardier / CanAm comes close!) but we are inextricably linked to this global supply chain via suppliers like Magna, Linamar, Martinrea, Stackpole, and countless smaller ones, who supply everyone.

Buy whatever suits your needs.

Thanks for answering my first question. I knew there was no way Ford built a whole new platform for this. Sort of like the Chevy Avalanche, except it didn't start out as a truck in the first place.

The 4' bed is a dealbreaker for me. Just too limited for those moments when I'm really glad to have a truck. At least in an SUV you can put the seats down. In a lot of ways the Ridgeline is much closer to what I want/need, except the price is just too high for what it is.

No matter, just happy to see them trying to offer more realistic vehicles to people. The half-ton trucks have gotten so stupidly big...

this is how they got the price so low. lots of parts/platform sharing.
I think its a 4.5ft bed so only 6 inches less than a ridge, this actually looks deeper so would depend on what you carry.

This is why I keep wishing someone would bring back the midgate on the avalanche you mentioned. open half or full back open into the cabin to fit all those long and big items. Everyone wants a longer bed when you need it but a shorter truck and a larger cabin when you aren't hauling.

this is how they got the price so low. lots of parts/platform sharing.
I think its a 4.5ft bed so only 6 inches less than a ridge, this actually looks deeper so would depend on what you carry.

This is why I keep wishing someone would bring back the midgate on the avalanche you mentioned. open half or full back open into the cabin to fit all those long and big items. Everyone wants a longer bed when you need it but a shorter truck and a larger cabin when you aren't hauling.
Ridgeline is 5.3', and the short bed F-150 I'm in is just over 5.5'.

The difference between 4.5 and 5.3 may not be huge, but it can make the difference for a lot of stuff. Most importantly here, the Ridgeline can carry most motorcycles in the bed (at least everything bar cruisers) with the tailgate down, but the Maverick couldn't do it. Sure, you can use a trailer, but at that point you may as well just buy an Escape and have the benefit of the enclosed rear.

Alternately, I had to haul some 12' lengths of XFR pipe recently. In the 5.5' box it was *barely* doable, I don't think the Maverick could have done it safely. Even with the tailgate down, half the pipe is hanging free. I get that's a specific case, but building materials often top out at 12' lengths, so having something that can manage that is really useful.

I'm not saying this applies to everyone, and the 4.5' box would work just fine for many, I'm sure. But for me, 5.3' is the absolute minimum, and even 10" less is just too short to be useful...

As for the midgate, absolutely agreed except for one thing: didn't the Avalanche have issues with leaks there? Hard to know with the shocking GM QC of the era if it's a design flaw or a production flaw, but it could be an issue long-term.

Ridgeline is 5.3', and the short bed F-150 I'm in is just over 5.5'.

The difference between 4.5 and 5.3 may not be huge, but it can make the difference for a lot of stuff. Most importantly here, the Ridgeline can carry most motorcycles in the bed (at least everything bar cruisers) with the tailgate down, but the Maverick couldn't do it. Sure, you can use a trailer, but at that point you may as well just buy an Escape and have the benefit of the enclosed rear.

Alternately, I had to haul some 12' lengths of XFR pipe recently. In the 5.5' box it was *barely* doable, I don't think the Maverick could have done it safely. Even with the tailgate down, half the pipe is hanging free. I get that's a specific case, but building materials often top out at 12' lengths, so having something that can manage that is really useful.

I'm not saying this applies to everyone, and the 4.5' box would work just fine for many, I'm sure. But for me, 5.3' is the absolute minimum, and even 10" less is just too short to be useful...

As for the midgate, absolutely agreed except for one thing: didn't the Avalanche have issues with leaks there? Hard to know with the shocking GM QC of the era if it's a design flaw or a production flaw, but it could be an issue long-term.

It's 6ft tailgate down, don't have numbers but pretty sure most bikes would fit. I had a ridgeline and the wheel was right at the edge of the bed, in my f150 I can half close the tailgate.

I hear you, I just had to bring some 10ft 4x4s home and it would just barely be okay in the Mav. Backrack or some sort of roof rack might work but depends how heavy your material is.

Avalanche had leaks in the included tonneau cover rubber seals I believe, but that's why I'd want another manufacturer to do it.

It's 6ft tailgate down, don't have numbers but pretty sure most bikes would fit. I had a ridgeline and the wheel was right at the edge of the bed, in my f150 I can half close the tailgate.

I hear you, I just had to bring some 10ft 4x4s home and it would just barely be okay in the Mav. Backrack or some sort of roof rack might work but depends how heavy your material is.

Avalanche had leaks in the included tonneau cover rubber seals I believe, but that's why I'd want another manufacturer to do it.
I don't know about most.

R1250GS wheelbase is 60" Without taking the front wheel off, you'd have trouble getting the bottom of the rear wheel on the tail gate (and that's a lot of weight very far out on the gate which is worrying).

RS660 wheelbase is 54" Better but still probably off the back of the gate.

Ninja 300 wheelbase 55" Same as above.

The shorter bikes might work diagonally but I suspect most motorbikes will have half the weight far out on the tailgate.

Keep in mind that this bed is roughly the size of a half sheet of plywood and you are trying to put a bike there.

I don't know about most.

R1250GS wheelbase is 60" Without taking the front wheel off, you'd have trouble getting the bottom of the rear wheel on the tail gate (and that's a lot of weight very far out on the gate which is worrying).

The shorter bikes might work diagonally but I suspect most motorbikes will have half the weight far out on the tailgate.

Keep in mind that this bed is roughly the size of a half sheet of plywood and you are trying to put a bike there.

I've never been able to close the tailgate with a bike in the bed, weight on the tailgate hasn't really been an issue IMO. I rather have the bike straight (usually on a chock) and strapped down evenly.

Tailgate open full length is 6 ft = 72 inches so all the bikes you mentioned would fit.

The Mav's tailgate weight limit is low and that would be the only issue but weight is split between front and rear wheel. Plus you probably put more weight on it during loading than in transit.

Tailgate open full length is 6 ft = 72 inches so all the bikes you mentioned would fit.
Are you sure? I gave wheelbase not distance from the front of the front tire to the centre of the rear tire. My numbers are off by tire/wheel radius for truck fit. That is about 12" for most bikes. The GS rear axle will be off the back of the tailgate by a little bit. The smaller bikes will be closer to the back of the gate than the hinge side.

I don't know about most.

Honda claims the Ridgeline box is 64" with the gate up and 83" with it down. Assuming the GS, it's wheelbase plus the front half of the front tire, so roughly 74" from front of front tire to centre of rear tire. Add a few inches for safety etc, and you'd need at least 78", I'd say. Just barely enough with the Ridgeline, just too little with the Maverick.

Bringing it closer to home, the Tuono has a ~57" wheelbase, and a typical 120/70/17 front tire is ~24" dia., so from tip of front tire to rear axle is ~69", right on the very edge for the Maverick. Add a chock, a folding tonneau cover, etc, that pushes the front wheel back, and it's no go, even if you were willing to have that much tire hanging off the back (I wouldn't).

That's why the 11" difference is so critical for me. It takes it from being borderline impossible with big risk to being something I'd be fine with as long as the tailgate is in good condition...

Honda claims the Ridgeline box is 64" with the gate up and 83" with it down. Assuming the GS, it's wheelbase plus the front half of the front tire, so roughly 74" from front of front tire to centre of rear tire. Add a few inches for safety etc, and you'd need at least 78", I'd say. Just barely enough with the Ridgeline, just too little with the Maverick.

Bringing it closer to home, the Tuono has a ~57" wheelbase, and a typical 120/70/17 front tire is ~24" dia., so from tip of front tire to rear axle is ~69", right on the very edge for the Maverick. Add a chock, a folding tonneau cover, etc, that pushes the front wheel back, and it's no go, even if you were willing to have that much tire hanging off the back (I wouldn't).

That's why the 11" difference is so critical for me. It takes it from being borderline impossible with big risk to being something I'd be fine with as long as the tailgate is in good condition...
It would be interesting if they released an engineered accessory to get you a bit more length. I was thinking something in the trailer hitch (ideally also tied into the tailgate) to stiffen things up and give you an extra foot of length up the centre.

It would be interesting if they released an engineered accessory to get you a bit more length. I was thinking something in the trailer hitch (ideally also tied into the tailgate) to stiffen things up and give you an extra foot of length up the centre.
Honestly, a length of channel similar to what they use on the Stinger trailer would be really easy if you could somehow secure it to the front of the bed. Even a length of 2x10 would probably give you what you need, as it'd only be hanging off by a few inches. You'd just have to have a way to securely get a ramp up to it...

Honestly, a length of channel similar to what they use on the Stinger trailer would be really easy if you could somehow secure it to the front of the bed. Even a length of 2x10 would probably give you what you need, as it'd only be hanging off by a few inches. You'd just have to have a way to securely get a ramp up to it...
Not a bad plan. Chock, rail and ramp pinned to the end sold as a kit. After the bike is in, pull the pin and put the ramp away (ideally with an easy way to slide it beside the rail and put the pin back in to keep everything in place)

Not a bad plan. Chock, rail and ramp pinned to the end sold as a kit. After the bike is in, pull the pin and put the ramp away (ideally with an easy way to slide it beside the rail and put the pin back in to keep everything in place)
Could even have a vertical piece on the back of the rail for peace of mind...

Even if I had a Ridgeline, I'd be interested in something like this. I'd actually be interested for my F-150, as I hate having the bike on the tailgate...

Back
Top Bottom