Has the city lost it's mind... | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the city lost it's mind...

I had a weird situation couple days ago. Driving to the store and some idiot cuts me off to take a drive into a store.

I honked, because I’m stupid.

He hears it, pulls into the store, pulls out and on my *** for the next 2km.

I drive normal, neither fast nor slow, and he keeps on me 2ft from my bumper….until he gets bored and u-turns on Mavis and goes back to wherever.

Could’ve been something much worse, but I (probably rightfully) didn’t engage with my car, or getting out of the car.

I half expected him to come out each red light, but luckily that’s where it ended.

I also found out my dash cam is non functional so need to figure that out.

I had a weird situation couple days ago. Driving to the store and some idiot cuts me off to take a drive into a store.

I drive normal, neither fast nor slow, and he keeps on me 2ft from my bumper….until he gets bored and u-turns on Mavis and goes back to wherever.

Could’ve been something much worse, but I (probably rightfully) didn’t engage with my car, or getting out of the car.

I half expected him to come out each red light, but luckily that’s where it ended.

hehe.

ever since i started driving an suv people can't intimidate me like that anymore. i just set cruise and ignore em.

Brilliant. He cuts you off because he's in a hurry and then wastes 10 minutes asking for a collision.

hehe.

ever since i started driving an suv people can't intimidate me like that anymore. i just set cruise and ignore em.
It’s my stupid pansy Volt that’s the issue here…

Brilliant. He cuts you off because he's in a hurry and then wastes 10 minutes asking for a collision.
Of course, everyone is in a hurry until they want to intimidate you. He lost at least 10min following me and riding my bumper.

Should’ve brake checked him…if only I knew the DashCam wasn’t working…

On the weekend a "homeless" guy was asking for "change for food" but it was obvious to me he was jonesing big-time.

It got me thinking of another potential "cause" of some of these violence/crime problems. Less people use cash these days so very few have loose change. At the same time WFH has reduced the number of people out and about in the core. All this makes it harder and harder to get the cash for the next fix... hard withdrawl can equal snap.

Of course IMO giving them cash to get a fix is enabling and unethical, so I am not saying that is a solution.... just an observation.

As i recall someone in the Star did some undercover investigative journalism and lived on the streets for 3-6 months. They found a large majority of the homeless spent the money on drugs and alcohol. I'll buy them food quite often, but I've never given cash since.

As i recall someone in the Star did some undercover investigative journalism and lived on the streets for 3-6 months. They found a large majority of the homeless spent the money on drugs and alcohol. I'll buy them food quite often, but I've never given cash since.
Just last week, there was a homeless person outside the grocery store I go to. Looked none too good.

I grabbed him a sandwich, 'cause I was feeling nice. Offered it to him, he refused and wished I had given him the money instead. Sigh.
Was a tasty sandwich too - my stomach didn't complain.

Having lived and worked downtown there was no need for undercover journalism to come to that conclusion.

I saw the same people everyday. Out in the morning "begging", wasted by the afternoon, rinse and repeat. Most had signs saying they needed food, also almost all refused it (some would take it and toss it). Or they were trying to raise the money for a bus ticket home to North Bay or whatever for years. Of course many are not even truly homeless, just supplementing gov support. Others were, being shelter dwellers, the tent people, finally the box/tarp/sleeping bag on the subway grates. Each smell different from a distance....

Having lived and worked downtown there was no need for undercover journalism to come to that conclusion.

I saw the same people everyday. Out in the morning "begging", wasted by the afternoon, rinse and repeat. Most had signs saying they needed food, also almost all refused it (some would take it and toss it). Or they were trying to raise the money for a bus ticket home to North Bay or whatever for years. Of course many are not even truly homeless, just supplementing gov support. Others were, being shelter dwellers, the tent people, finally the box/tarp/sleeping bag on the subway grates. Each smell different from a distance....
I find the traffic light beggars the most annoying, along with the 401 off ramps. The first time I saw something like that was in Montreal in 2007, thought it was weird for some guys to beg off some highway off ramp. The first time I saw this here was few years back on the Markham off ramp. Now it's almost like a business with various different groups of people taking diff days of the weeks or the time of day.

A friend used to get from his Avenue Road condo to St Mikes in 15 minutes. Now it's an hour. Almost every main street has lane closures. Queen Street is closed from Bay to Victoria. Eglinton is a joke. The 401 is under construction east of 427. The homeless have taken over many parks. Wackos are assaulting people at random. Prices are up. High Park is closed to vehicles on weekends.

Toronto, for many, is a tourist destination. Are they bat crap crazy? The tourism season is starting so what adventures are recommended by Toronto Tourism provided Air Canada gets people here with their luggage?

hehe.

Gotta ask. How does driving an SUV prevent aholes from riding up your butt?

Toronto, for many, is a tourist destination. Are they bat crap crazy? The tourism season is starting so what adventures are recommended by Toronto Tourism provided Air Canada gets people here with their luggage?
Is it? I dunno why people would come to visit Toronto, unless it's to visit family or friends. Otherwise it's pretty dull there is nothing really to see and do. And the construction is mind numbing. All weekend I was criss crossing the 401 and stuck in traffic both directions on multiple days, just a disaster.

Toronto as a tourist destination was a lunch-time topic at work recently (I'm in Edmonton now). Those in their 20s absolutely do see it as a tourist destination - they find the city interesting, exciting, happening - one travelled there recently for a concert. Those in their mid-30s/40s/with kids, mostly aren't interested, but they'd fly over to visit Niagara Falls. I don't think many retirees would be interested in a trip to Toronto, but I could be wrong... My parents last visited after having spent a month in Europe, from Amsterdam to Lisbon. They could not wait to leave.

Toronto as a tourist destination was a lunch-time topic at work recently (I'm in Edmonton now). Those in their 20s absolutely do see it as a tourist destination - they find the city interesting, exciting, happening - one travelled there recently for a concert. Those in their mid-30s/40s/with kids, mostly aren't interested, but they'd fly over to visit Niagara Falls. I don't think many retirees would be interested in a trip to Toronto, but I could be wrong... My parents last visited after having spent a month in Europe, from Amsterdam to Lisbon. They could not wait to leave.
A cousin from Yellowknife came for the downtown scene and a ball game.

Relatives came from Manitoba and stayed with us for a while. I took them for a drive in rush hour and they left the next day.

While here they took in the islands, CN Tower, Zoo and a lot of peripheral stuff like Wonderland, Lion Safari and Niagara.

Toronto has a lot of cute little expensive bistros, and shoppes (The "pe" in shoppes is short for pretty expensive.)

You have to get used to crowds and increasing hostility.

Back
Top Bottom